+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: What Anime Are You Watching?

Default Re: What Anime Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I watched the show recently too. It does such a great job at CGI. I like the main character (who reminds me a bit of myself in terms of her situation, not the obnoxious personality part lol). I feel the show stumbles during its earlier parts since it's trying to find its footing in setting up lore and abilities, but it goes in an a really interesting direction. It reminds me a lot of Steven Universe despite coming the manga coming before it.

The only solid demerit I can give the show is:

Spoiler:
    Phos turning emo in the second half of the season. I like the PTSD aspect and the gold malleability is interesting, although I don't necessarily like how the super speed disappeared so quickly (write that out of the show and nothing changes). But while I always wanted Phos to get character development from being naive, lazy, and whiny, I feel like it's a shame to completely skip their emotional transformation. Especially when the end result is so stoic and lacking any emotional traits. I know that the point is they have been disillusioned and is now competent in body and mind, but I feel like I'm going to really miss how much personality the old Phos had while the new one has very little of that aside from seeing a Christmas Ghost every now and then.

Also, as much as I like there being three races themed by different types of gems, the seashell people were hardly relevant aside from worldbuilding/foreshadowing.
    Spoiler:
    To be honest, Phos "going emo" was only as long as they were alone (and that lasted for, like, 10 minutes in the anime). When the other gems woke up, they started brighting up again and became an undertandably less goofy version self that was forced to mature quickly. But the old Phos is still there - like when they pretended to have forgot Cinnabar just to avoid having to face their responsibility.
    As for the speed, keep in mind this is not a battle manga despite everyone being a fighter. Fighting abilities and styles will be there, but will not be relevant and have a need to be properly used as important plot devices. The legs served their purpose of allowing Phos to be included among the fighters - and I particularly love the fact both is and the new arms subverted the "manga rule" and didn't gloriously succeeded in their first appearance.

As for the Admirabilis, remember this is just the first season. As best Ventricosus and her brother were just a teaser of the real plot behind the races, they were not intended to deliver the purpose of their race already.
    But if you are curious, in the manga...
    Spoiler:
    ... what? Nothing. Nothing was add yet in this regard. But at this point I feel like the manga has reached what I think will be the last... third so the reveals should be coming in tow.

The gems all looking the same has a reason to be in-story, but I agree it may be confusing. Not so much in the anime because colors, but in the manga I still confuse them after +60 chapters.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Spoiler:
    To be honest, Phos "going emo" was only as long as they were alone (and that lasted for, like, 10 minutes in the anime). When the other gems woke up, they started brighting up again and became an undertandably less goofy version self that was forced to mature quickly. But the old Phos is still there - like when they pretended to have forgot Cinnabar just to avoid having to face their responsibility.
    As for the speed, keep in mind this is not a battle manga despite everyone being a fighter. Fighting abilities and styles will be there, but will not be relevant and have a need to be properly used as important plot devices. The legs served their purpose of allowing Phos to be included among the fighters - and I particularly love the fact both is and the new arms subverted the "manga rule" and didn't gloriously succeeded in their first appearance.

As for the Admirabilis, remember this is just the first season. As best Ventricosus and her brother were just a teaser of the real plot behind the races, they were not intended to deliver the purpose of their race already.
    But if you are curious, in the manga...
    Spoiler:
    ... what? Nothing. Nothing was add yet in this regard. But at this point I feel like the manga has reached what I think will be the last... third so the reveals should be coming in tow.

The gems all looking the same has a reason to be in-story, but I agree it may be confusing. Not so much in the anime because colors, but in the manga I still confuse them after +60 chapters.
    Spoiler:

Phos is still really mellow and matter the fact about everything though. They react a bit comedically once in a while as a reflex. And Phos forgetting Cinnabar, at least from what I remember was hardly as lighthearted as Phos' laziness in the earlier story. They almost forgot and than got criticized by Cinnabar about being selfish later. Which was a good moment, but Phos still feels quite hollow. Less a unique entertaining character now and more protagonist for the sake of being the protagonist like Ichigo in Bleach.

I'm not complaining about the speed because I need action. I was actually somewhat disappointed that Phos' encyclopedia job got scrapped as that would have made for a rather interesting series, especially if the action is mostly left to the supporting characters. Sort of like Pokemon, but focused on recording Pokemon with the Pokedex.

I'm complaining about her brief super speed stint because there really wasn't any point for it to exist other than as a plot device for her first mission (and the writers could have easily made up some other excuse, especially when she just stood there petrified). The super speed itself barely served any purpose at all in terms of that power specifically.

I like that the golden arms power-up didn't succeed on the first try either (in fact, this should happen more if a series needs to incorporate asspull power-ups so that they don't feel too convenient for the protagonist's situation). That still doesn't justify the super speed going nowhere other than the series trying to find its footing. Which you can notice in how the encyclopedia quest went nowhere other than to give Phos an excuse to loligag into plot events.

I know they were a teaser. But you can have something be a teaser AND relevant to the plot. Instead of up and disappearing without affecting the plot at all besides being personified worldbuilding exposition.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Spoiler:

Phos is still really mellow and matter the fact about everything though. They react a bit comedically once in a while as a reflex. And Phos forgetting Cinnabar, at least from what I remember was hardly as lighthearted as Phos' laziness in the earlier story. They almost forgot and than got criticized by Cinnabar about being selfish later. Which was a good moment, but Phos still feels quite hollow. Less a unique entertaining character now and more protagonist for the sake of being the protagonist like Ichigo in Bleach.

I'm not complaining about the speed because I need action. I was actually somewhat disappointed that Phos' encyclopedia job got scrapped as that would have made for a rather interesting series, especially if the action is mostly left to the supporting characters. Sort of like Pokemon, but focused on recording Pokemon with the Pokedex.

I'm complaining about her brief super speed stint because there really wasn't any point for it to exist other than as a plot device for her first mission (and the writers could have easily made up some other excuse, especially when she just stood there petrified). The super speed itself barely served any purpose at all in terms of that power specifically.

I like that the golden arms power-up didn't succeed on the first try either (in fact, this should happen more if a series needs to incorporate asspull power-ups so that they don't feel too convenient for the protagonist's situation). That still doesn't justify the super speed going nowhere other than the series trying to find its footing. Which you can notice in how the encyclopedia quest went nowhere other than to give Phos an excuse to loligag into plot events.

I know they were a teaser. But you can have something be a teaser AND relevant to the plot. Instead of up and disappearing without affecting the plot at all besides being personified worldbuilding exposition.
    Spoiler:
    Pretty much I can answer all you said with just one thing: this is just the first season, be patient.
    This just covered 30 chapters of the manga, there is no reason to think the true purpose of something needs to be revealed now. It's like complaining that Kuma and Doflamingo didn't served any purpose in their first appearance... why should they?

And still, saying the Admirabilis served no purpose other than being a tease is not true. Ventricosus and her brother gave the legs that led Phos into being accepted as one of the fighters (those legs will also play a part in a scene later) - and the legs are also the starting point in a bigger development that can already be guessed based on the first season, but I will avoid saying to avoid spoilers.
    Ventricosus also was the one that presented Phos to the myth of humans and the origin of the species, which will pretty much set all the future developments in motion, so in a sense you can say she was the character that had the biggest plot relevance in the first season.

Honestly, I think for some reason you are just being way too quick to judge the relevance of elements in the plot and how they were handled, which is... well... unlike you.
    But if you really think this ("Less a unique entertaining character now and more protagonist for the sake of being the protagonist like Ichigo in Bleach.") just because they are not silly anymore, I really don't advise you to keep going.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Spoiler:
    Pretty much I can answer all you said with just one thing: this is just the first season, be patient.
    This just covered 30 chapters of the manga, there is no reason to think the true purpose of something needs to be revealed now. It's like complaining that Kuma and Doflamingo didn't served any purpose in their first appearance... why should they?

And still, saying the Admirabilis served no purpose other than being a tease is not true. Ventricosus and her brother gave the legs that led Phos into being accepted as one of the fighters (those legs will also play a part in a scene later) - and the legs are also the starting point in a bigger development that can already be guessed based on the first season, but I will avoid saying to avoid spoilers.
    Ventricosus also was the one that presented Phos to the myth of humans and the origin of the species, which will pretty much set all the future developments in motion, so in a sense you can say she was the character that had the biggest plot relevance in the first season.

Honestly, I think for some reason you are just being way too quick into judging the relevance of elements in the plot and how they were handled, which is... well... unlike you.
    But if you really think this ("Less a unique entertaining character now and more protagonist for the sake of being the protagonist like Ichigo in Bleach.") just because they are not silly anymore, I really don't advise you to keep going.
    Spoiler:

Except that I've seen first seasons that felt more cohesive than the first half or so of this show's first season. No matter how much it improves in future seasons, it's too late to change the parts in the first season that feel awkward. I'm not even giving the show big demerits. I'm only pointing out bits that feel clunky and directionless.

Okay, fine, the seashell people can work fine as foreshadowing. I can concede that. But the problem is that the legs ended up being irrelevant, which goes back to useless super speed. So they barely left any trace on the series besides lore and a plot device for first mission acceptance. You don't think that is the slightest bit hollow? Like they could be easily replaced in the story as long as those roles are met?

But on Phos, I'm talking personality-wise here. Obviously Phos has more reason to keep on going because of their relationships with Antarcitite (can't spell that at all lol) and Cinnabar. I'm saying that unlike Luffy, unlike Naruto, unlike Deku, unlike Yusuke, etc, who are all colorful characters. Phos is pretty much a shadow of her former self in personality traits. She gained more skill, but aside from being obsessed with answers and redemption/vengeance sort of (which aren't even traits so much as goals), she's a lot more stoic and focused now. Which are really vague and bland traits if that's the only way I can describe a character. Before, she was a genki girl. Now... she's straight-laced protagonist. I fear that's going to be a bit boring.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Nothing to be done, then.
    I can say Phos is currently one of my favorite manga protagonists (the only reason I am not featuring them in both avatar and signature now is simply because I really like looking at Freeza and Wimpod), I can't really add more than that without revealing too much. Let's just say their old self being left more and more behind is at the core of the series.

And yes, Phos is less "colorful" than all those shonen protagonists. But that's a part of Houseki not being a shonen.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; February 5th, 2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: .

Just started watching Kakegurui Ė Compulsive Gambler. Iím about 4 episodes in. Animation seems to be well done. The story on the other hand seems bat shit nuts. The details into each game and world building has kept me interested but might get old if each episode turns out that each student console member is
    Spoiler:
    cheating

Iíll probably finish it though because itís only 12 episodes and on Netflix. So itís easily accessible.

I watched all of Made in Abyss on amazon and loved it! The art is beautifully and world building plus story is on point. I loved how it turns more serious a couple episodes in. Donít let the Kawaii characters fool you! If you havenít seen it I highly suggest you give it a try. I think I binged watched it in under two days. It genuinely had me tearing up towards the end. Ugh just thinking about it makes me wanna cry! Canít wait for the next season all though it will probably be a while :(

This guy made a compilation of all animes with a score over 8.20 on My Anime List. If you're looking for something to watch and don't know what, this is a fantastic place to start.

The animes are listed in order of release date, starting in 1970 and going all the way to 2018.

I recommend checking out his channel. It's all devoted to anime openings and there's some cool compilations, like animes/openings from various studios and how they've evolved through the years.

And for fun, can you guess the anime with the highest score?

Currently watching

Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card: Pure joyful innocence and the best comfort tv in the world.

Dragon Ball Super: Fun if the series isn't your fucking identity.

Darling in the Franxx: Legit curious if I can predict the outcome of this series, it's that fucking boilerplate.

Waiting on:

High School DxD season 4
    New Gundam Series
    I started a blog about Harem Anime right here! https://dewbond.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

Watching Made in Abyss, and 11 episodes in...

HOLY. SHIT.

I'd been missing out on easily the best anime of last year.

Spoiler:
    Episode 10 made me an emotional wreck. THAT scene coupled with the stellar voice acting. DAMN.

Only two episodes left, and while a second season has been announced, I'm strongly tempted to continue with the manga because this series is just too damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    This guy made a compilation of all animes with a score over 8.20 on My Anime List. If you're looking for something to watch and don't know what, this is a fantastic place to start.

The animes are listed in order of release date, starting in 1970 and going all the way to 2018.

I recommend checking out his channel. It's all devoted to anime openings and there's some cool compilations, like animes/openings from various studios and how they've evolved through the years.

Thanks for this recommendation. Seeing even just a short glimpse of Yu Yu Hakusho's opening made me all nostalgic and teary-eyed, that show and Flame of Recca were basically my childhood. The opening definitely deserved its high rating.

EDIT: Just finished Made in Abyss. I have nothing but praise. That is all.
    Last edited by Sick_Fool; February 13th, 2018 at 10:52 AM.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

I'm glad to read that some of my favourite animes from the last seasons are still being discovered and loved ^^

Finally finished Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond, damn I will miss these badass goofs.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

That little sting I felt upon hearing Ghost in the Shell's opening and remembering the singer...

Anyway, thanks for sharing this, mate; much appreciated!
    Last edited by Enzeru; February 15th, 2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: and now it's nostalgia all over the place, oh boy

Gah! So many anime I still want to watch!

That said, I think it's a bit telling about the fleeting popularity of anime (or the fallacy of the scoring system) that almost half the list is made up of shows that came out in the last five years

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Fool View Post

Thanks for this recommendation. Seeing even just a short glimpse of Yu Yu Hakusho's opening made me all nostalgic and teary-eyed, that show and Flame of Recca were basically my childhood. The opening definitely deserved its high rating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    That little sting I felt upon hearing Ghost in the Shell's opening and remembering the singer...

Anyway, thanks for sharing this, mate; much appreciated!
    Glad to have made you nostalgic :)

The first half of that video is like taking a journey through your childhood memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Gah! So many anime I still want to watch!

That said, I think it's a bit telling about the fleeting popularity of anime (or the fallacy of the scoring system) that almost half the list is made up of shows that came out in the last five years
    I'd be interested in seeing a list of the 5-10 most highly rated shows per ten years. So you have the top 5 shows of 1970-1979, 1980-1989, etc. That'd help even things out a bit.

Just finished watching Made in Abyss.

Sure, show, go ahead and rip out my soul and crush it to tiny pieces. I wasn't using it anyway.

I'm in the middle of watching a couple of shows right now. Some I'm rewatching, others I'm catching up on.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - I've been passively watching season 4 for a couple of weeks. Still holds up really well.

Devilman Crybaby - This is complicated to describe. Because I think the aesthetics and animations of the show are gorgeous and I deeply respect the original manga, for it's influence on EVA, Berserk and pretty much everything great, ever. However, due to these lush and colorful aesthetics, I have a hard time taking anything going on seriously. The original Devilman, while kinda boring, creates a deeply disturbing and brooding tone. Whereas this adaptation wants to blend that element with campy, trippy visuals, to make for a visceral experience when the edgemeter is getting cranked up. And it just straight up doesn't work for me. It feels like another one of those shows that's just edgy for the sake of itself and I hate shows like that.

Made in Abyss - I'm working on catching up eventually, I'm still just two episodes in and I've sort of been spoiled on the toneshift the show makes, which intrigues me even more to continue. It's just a bit hard to cram in there amidst studying and watching other shows.

HunterXHunter - rewatching the chimera ant arc currently. Had a pretty nice roll a few weeks ago and caught up with hundreds of episodes. But today I'm just catching up with an episode every other day or so. By comparison to Devilman: this is an example of how you can do edgy in a good way to make it feel terrifying. Although, I am not the biggest fan of the way in which the Chimera Ant arc just has to be so over-the-top, I think HxH as a narrative has earned that with me in a way that a series like Devilman hasn't.

Gurren Lagan - I rewatch Gurren every year because it's simply the best. On episode 7 now.

7 Deadly Sins - 1 season in and this show is just straight up garbage. I think I might place Meliodas on the same level of shit character as Lucy from Elfen Lied and Eren from AOT. The fact that the author is just so desperate to make us feel as if Meliodas is the coolest guy in the universe who can just beat up anything and that he portrays his molestation of a minor as some kind of funny gag is infuriating. I hate how unbearably smug he is all the time. I hate the entire cast. I hate the artstyle. I hate the soundtrack. I hate the color palette. I don't care if it gets good in 100 chapters. 12 episodes in a row of 0/10 isn't something you can bounce back from.

Shakugan no Shana - God, do I ever hate Yuji. He's so boring it's aggravating.
    Last edited by Strooger; February 28th, 2018 at 03:52 AM.

To wash the depressing taste of Made of Abyss out of my mouth, I've started watching Konosuba.

It's nothing ground-breaking and it does have some pretty cringy sexual stuff, but it's still a fun light-hearted romp that's managed to make me laugh out loud numerous times.

Ok. I just watched the Berserk movies and the first season and almost done the second of the 2016-2017 series. Really enjoying it.

but does ANYONE feel that Berserk takes a MAJOR tonal and premise shift after the Eclipse? I mean it felt like I was watching two different series.

Also, season one of the 2016 anime should have ended like this.

Now that I'm watching Clear Card, I figured I'd go back and watch the original Cardcaptor Sakura, subbed and with all the episodes, as it was intended.

Three episodes in, and it already has more action than the entirety of Clear Card.

The Clear Card anime is already adding more action than the manga has. It seems that's a plot point though since there are several points where it's obviously easy to capture a card on purpose. The focus is more on the background of what Akiho and Yuna are up to. I'm starting to lose interest in the Clear Card anime just because of how much it's changing to be honest.

The original Cardcaptor Sakura is very much a 'monster of the week' series, while Clear Card is more, i dunno...variety?

Still love it to death, probably cause i don't read the manga.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information