+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What Anime Are You Watching?

Default Re: What Anime Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    So is the level of ambition, and depth comparable to something like Nausicaa (manga) in terms of thematics, and relevance?

Or is it just a fluff piece that is grand in scale?

I'm only asking because 100 episodes seems like a really big commitment, and I would like to know if it's really worth it before I really jump into it.
    Like TLC said, it really surpasses Nausicaa in that regard. Like i previously mentioned, i find it to be one of the best and ambitious piece of fiction period.

Currently watching Haikyu season 2!
    I never watched a sports series since my childhood besides Ping Pong the Animation, but this series hooked surprisingly hard and has anything I wished from a good sports series, tactics, epic scenes, character development and also great ost pieces.

After it I plan to watch Hajime no Ippo where in also heard great things on different internet platforms!

Almost finished with Cardcaptor Sakura

A wonderful series, but man there is some shit in there that would NOT fly in today's world. It's like Jesus...is there no such thing as crime in this world? Or Pedophilia?

I remember saying "I like this series because of it's innocence" and DAMN, is this series innocent.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Passiopi View Post
    Currently watching Haikyu season 2!
    I never watched a sports series since my childhood besides Ping Pong the Animation, but this series hooked surprisingly hard and has anything I wished from a good sports series, tactics, epic scenes, character development and also great ost pieces.

After it I plan to watch Hajime no Ippo where in also heard great things on different internet platforms!
    Hajime no Ippo is definitely a classic one! It's one of my favourite anime of all time; the mindset of boxers has been executed so well and the hype is throughout the story.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I'm currently watching Shokugeki no Soma, Boku no hero academia and Yokai apartment life.

I watched Galactic Heroes a while back, got pretty far into the series, but ended up stopping. Not for dislike of the series, but rather I got caught up with other stuff. Sadly now I can't remember where I left off in the series.

Spoiler for trying to figure out where I left off, read at your own risk.
    Spoiler:
    I know for sure I am through the 1st season, as Kircheis has died. I think I am anywhere between episode 39-48, reading the episode synopsis they ring a bell, but I am not 100% certain and might need a refresher. That is a lot of episodes to go through again, but in the grand scheme it's not even halfway through the series.
    Let the beat build bitch

Gonna hopefully finish the first Macross series and then probably watch Ideon.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

I've made two discoveries today while looking at Crunchyroll for something to watch while I put away laundry: The Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor, and a new version of Magical Circle Guru-Guru.

The former caught my interest immediately since The Irresponsible Captain Tylor is one of my favorite series. Galaxy is a series of 3-4 minute shorts featuring a descendant of the original Tylor, Banjo Ueki Tylor, his robot buddy Yamamoto 372, and Azalyn, Goza the 168th, of the now long-defuct Raalgon Empire. They have various random misadventures. It's kinda meh but I'll probably keep it up, anyway.

Magical Circle Guru-Guru, also known as Mahoujin Guru-Guru, features Nike, a young boy whose parents force him to become an RPG hero when the demon king re-awakens. Joining him on this quest is Kukuri, the last known practitioner of Guru Guru summoning magic, which would be great if she weren't mostly incompetent at it. Another reoccurring character is the Old Kita-Kita Man, the mayor of a village who has seen few to any female births since he exploited a holy dance the girls did for cash. Now the old man he tries to reinvigorate the dance the only way he can, by donning the grass skirt and headdress and spreading the Kita Kita Dance everywhere he goes. Whether people like it or not.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Watched the second two Eva Rebuild movies. There are still some nagging things making me think it could turn into some sort of sequel to EoE but most of the stuff I initially was thinking about are more or less explained. I'm enjoying the new continuity but I have no idea where it's going to go. Glad I watched it now instead of when it came out so that's a few years less that I'll be waiting for 4.0.

I just finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Jesus christ what an amazing show.

There are so many things I want to say that I really don't know where to begin. I could write pages on this, but I'll try to stay reserved.

I've never experienced a series with this level of scope, focus, and ambition, something truly fitting its characters. Legend of the Galactic Heroes truly built a vibrant history through the course of the series; one which unfolds throughout it. It's filled with plenty of vibrant characters, complex and entangled events, and a lot of interesting commentary on the nature of war, conflict, politics, and human society. The latter's left such a mark on me that I've brought it up in philosophical discussions with friends on the nature of government and the use of violence in rebellion.

The philosophy wasn't the only of those things to leave a huge mark. I grew so attached to each of the characters, that just about any of the deaths short of people who deserved it made me cry. I think that this is the most emotional I've ever been at a piece of media, surpassing things like Fullmetal Alchemist and Mother 3, both of which only peaked in terms of emotional impact for me when I've revisited them. If I'm ever able to watch through all of LotGH again, it'll likely surpass that impact even further.

On the story, itself:

Spoiler:
    It's amazing how coherent and interesting everything stays throughout the whole series. Because the narration frames the series as a history, it's easy to follow the events that allowed Reinhard to succeed, caused the dissolution of the alliance, allowed democracy to preserve itself and the eventual reconciliation with the empire.

If there's one misgiving I have, it's that both Rubinsky and the Terraists have anticlimactic endings, for all their posturing. I'm glad that they were both silenced by the end, and that it's clearly not the end of terrorism and rebellion through the course of history, but their ends make it seem like their machinations after the capture of Phezzan and the raiding of the Earth cult weren't building to any kind of goal. The entanglement between the two is another thing left unexplored. I was hoping to see them undermine each other, and their conflict to lead to their undoing, but instead it's all sound and fury. Still, though, it was satisfying to see Oberstein taking care of both eventually. His sacrifice was really interesting and I want to believe that it was something he planned (even if he didn't expect to die). I like his characterization as emotionally reserved and lacking self-esteen, but unendingly loyal to Reinhard. Using Reinhard on his deathbed as a way to root out the remaining Terraists seemed to me almost like a final gift of his, letting his kaiser be integral to one final victory and securing peace in the empire.

As for my favorite moments, it's really hard to pick them out from so many. The end of season 3 with Yang Wenli's death and the battle for Iserlohn was incredible. That three episode battle in the corridor was tense and spectacular, and the fallout was emotional. I was in tears throughout the entirety of the episode mourning Yang, and still felt a little choked up whenever they brought him up again. Other standouts include the Battle of Amlitzer (it was a really cathartic strategic victory for Reinhard and the use of Dvorak's New World symphony was spectacular), the Eighth Battle of Iserlohn (even if it didn't result in much, the fact that they basically pit a death star against another death star was a huge OH SHIT moment for me), and, of course, just about every character death there was. In particular, Kircheis, Bucock, Yang Wenli, Reuenthal, Oberstein, and Reinhard left an impact on me. Reuenthal commanding his troops to retreat and taking care of business on Heinessen while suffering from a fatal wound stands out as an incredibly badass end to the character.

As for the ending, I really loved the idea of Reinhard wanting Felix and Alex to share the same kind of relationship as him and Kircheis. The empire considering the adoption of constitutionalism was a nice way to let Yang's legacy live on without betraying Reinhard's wish to unite the universe with a just rule. I'm intrigued by everything that might happen next, but I also know that the story needed to end eventually, and Reinhard's death is a fitting place. The series could be said to be the history of Reinhard and the rise of the Lohengramm dynasty, and it makes it clear that this is neither the beginning nor end of circumstances in their universe. I was a little afraid about whether the series could stick an ending to such a complicated story, but I was left perfectly satisfied (ie an emotional wreck at Reinhard's death). This series is easily a 10/10 from me and about as close to perfect as I think I could ask for.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Spoiler:
    Rubinsky and the cult were the biggest anticlimactic letdown especially after all the posturing of the latter that they were going to make their faith, the central tenet of the galaxy. Otherwise, totally agree, the show felt less like a television series and more like a well done documentary.
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I just finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Jesus christ what an amazing show.

There are so many things I want to say that I really don't know where to begin. I could write pages on this, but I'll try to stay reserved.

I've never experienced a series with this level of scope, focus, and ambition, something truly fitting its characters. Legend of the Galactic Heroes truly built a vibrant history through the course of the series; one which unfolds throughout it. It's filled with plenty of vibrant characters, complex and entangled events, and a lot of interesting commentary on the nature of war, conflict, politics, and human society. The latter's left such a mark on me that I've brought it up in philosophical discussions with friends on the nature of government and the use of violence in rebellion.

The philosophy wasn't the only of those things to leave a huge mark. I grew so attached to each of the characters, that just about any of the deaths short of people who deserved it made me cry. I think that this is the most emotional I've ever been at a piece of media, surpassing things like Fullmetal Alchemist and Mother 3, both of which only peaked in terms of emotional impact for me when I've revisited them. If I'm ever able to watch through all of LotGH again, it'll likely surpass that impact even further.

On the story, itself:

Spoiler:
    It's amazing how coherent and interesting everything stays throughout the whole series. Because the narration frames the series as a history, it's easy to follow the events that allowed Reinhard to succeed, caused the dissolution of the alliance, allowed democracy to preserve itself and the eventual reconciliation with the empire.

If there's one misgiving I have, it's that both Rubinsky and the Terraists have anticlimactic endings, for all their posturing. I'm glad that they were both silenced by the end, and that it's clearly not the end of terrorism and rebellion through the course of history, but their ends make it seem like their machinations after the capture of Phezzan and the raiding of the Earth cult weren't building to any kind of goal. The entanglement between the two is another thing left unexplored. I was hoping to see them undermine each other, and their conflict to lead to their undoing, but instead it's all sound and fury. Still, though, it was satisfying to see Oberstein taking care of both eventually. His sacrifice was really interesting and I want to believe that it was something he planned (even if he didn't expect to die). I like his characterization as emotionally reserved and lacking self-esteen, but unendingly loyal to Reinhard. Using Reinhard on his deathbed as a way to root out the remaining Terraists seemed to me almost like a final gift of his, letting his kaiser be integral to one final victory and securing peace in the empire.

As for my favorite moments, it's really hard to pick them out from so many. The end of season 3 with Yang Wenli's death and the battle for Iserlohn was incredible. That three episode battle in the corridor was tense and spectacular, and the fallout was emotional. I was in tears throughout the entirety of the episode mourning Yang, and still felt a little choked up whenever they brought him up again. Other standouts include the Battle of Amlitzer (it was a really cathartic strategic victory for Reinhard and the use of Dvorak's New World symphony was spectacular), the Eighth Battle of Iserlohn (even if it didn't result in much, the fact that they basically pit a death star against another death star was a huge OH SHIT moment for me), and, of course, just about every character death there was. In particular, Kircheis, Bucock, Yang Wenli, Reuenthal, Oberstein, and Reinhard left an impact on me. Reuenthal commanding his troops to retreat and taking care of business on Heinessen while suffering from a fatal wound stands out as an incredibly badass end to the character.

As for the ending, I really loved the idea of Reinhard wanting Felix and Alex to share the same kind of relationship as him and Kircheis. The empire considering the adoption of constitutionalism was a nice way to let Yang's legacy live on without betraying Reinhard's wish to unite the universe with a just rule. I'm intrigued by everything that might happen next, but I also know that the story needed to end eventually, and Reinhard's death is a fitting place. The series could be said to be the history of Reinhard and the rise of the Lohengramm dynasty, and it makes it clear that this is neither the beginning nor end of circumstances in their universe. I was a little afraid about whether the series could stick an ending to such a complicated story, but I was left perfectly satisfied (ie an emotional wreck at Reinhard's death). This series is easily a 10/10 from me and about as close to perfect as I think I could ask for.
    Nicely summarized. Now we only have to hope that one day Tanaka Yoshiki´s other works might get such an adaptation, especially Arslan which has a similar scope to LotGH but, for me personally, has a far more interesting setting.

I watched the Cardcaptor Sakura dub as a kid so I decided to watch it (subbed) all the way through now. Also looked up some footage from the dub on Youtube and it's unbelievably awful. I didn't hear everyone but Sakura sounds like some burnout 20 year old. The fact that the acting is awful makes it even worse.

Just finished watching all of Yu Yu Hakusho. Still a great show that holds up pretty well, but it's really funny how, towards the end of the series, it falls prey to so many "Togashi-isms'

-Introductions of huge slews of named characters that would be pretty much impossible to give proper attention and development to.
    -Bringing back old characters without any real plan for them and writing them out anticlimactically
    -Weird tangents with minor/one-off characters to wax philosophical

Also, since this was my first time watching the Three Kings saga, I guess I'll comment on that. Obviously not a huge arc like the Dark Tournament or Chapter Black, but still an effective one that, at its core, I guess, is about growing up and how all the characters handle it. Plot-wise, there are a few things that irk me, like how they never really resolved the issue of demons needing to eat humans (did they need to eat humans?) and Yusuke's attitude towards it, and, as mentioned, there are some plot threads that don't really go anywhere or get expanded on. And, of course, it would've been great to see how the story would've played out how Togashi originally intended, but I guess some things just aren't meant to be.

But this really was a great journey, revisiting an old classic and finally getting the chance to watch all the episodes I missed. And that last episode was just a perfect, delightful, and heartfelt send off for the show. I guess at some point I'll go back read the manga and see what was different and how the Three Kings saga played out there.

I for some reason have always been convinced that the Three Kings arc was filler in the anime. Maybe it was me watching too much Rurouni Kenshin, which did end with a bunch of filler rather than what happened in the manga and thinking Yu Yu was the same. Pretty sure I finished Chapter Black but never watched passed that and didn't get that far in the manga.

Hello guys do you have a 1080p eng sub link for the 3 Kizumonogatari movies ?

I'm 22 episodes into Appmon and it might be my favorite Digimon series to date.

Guys, really need your help. I used to use Netflix to watch animes...but Netflix does not work any longer. Are there any good streaming portals?

As anyone seen Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni film adaptation ? I just noticed it has been out for a few weeks in France and i really like Fumiyo Kouno’s mangas

I caught up on Tri. It sucked.

im rewatching yu yu hakusho and its very good. its a shame its not a popular series. if this had been broadcast as widely as dbz in the west it would've definitely beat it in terms of quality.
    the fights are quick, they don't drag for the sake of extending the episode's length, they also generally don't last more than 2 or 3 episodes, and the animation is very serviceable and quite good at times.
    each character in the team gets a chance to show their strengths, they get the time to explain their motivation and their backstory, and they're given distinctive personalities that you can connect with and understand. dragon ball failed miserably at developing most of the side characters.
    im still in the dark tournament arc, so i don't know how much of will change in the future episodes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information