+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What Anime Are You Watching?

Default Re: What Anime Are You Watching?

I started to rewatch Log Horizon ontop of my usual weekly line up. It's definitely my favorite in the "trapped in an mmorpg" genre type of series. I like how they try to handle the issues like food and what dying actually means in a world where you can't actually die. Also it took into account the NPCs which I hadn't seen addressed before. It makes it feel like a really solid setting.

The romance placed within it also feels more organic and I never felt annoyed when it appeared. I actually rooted for the characters involved when it appeared.

And the combat and strategies made me miss playing an mmo like WoW. It really just all felt right. I'm so annoyed it kinda had an open end. But I have no idea if the manga is even ongoing lol.

Not sure where to post this.

But Crunchyroll's poll results for anime in 2016 are in. Yuri on Ice and Mob cleaned up.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopi...e_year_twitter

Currently watching through Naruto for my first time and I just recently finished the first series (not without skipping loads of filler) and am at Episode 4 of Shippuden. I'm definitely enjoying it even though ninjas aren't my thing (I blame pirates). I like how the battles center around strategy and conserving Chakra. You can't afford to use more than you have to (unless you REALLY have to) or you'll tire yourself faster making you open to a possibly sure-killing attack, and all the different types of Jutsus are pretty freaking awesome.

Most of the main cast of characters, some of them being Rock Lee, Choji, Shikamaru, Asuma, Kakashi, Perv Sage Jiraiya and more are already my favorites. Plus, since I heard the series ended, I can skip all the filler I want and see Nardo's kid, Burrito, without having to wait for long, pointless filler arcs to finish, yay!
    The face of a Straw Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenth Strawhat View Post
    and am at Episode 4 of Shippuden. I'm definitely enjoying it
    Don't expect it to last

Most of the main cast of characters, some of them being Rock Lee, Choji, Shikamaru, Asuma, Kakashi, Perv Sage Jiraiya and more are already my favorites.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I don't get it. :l
    The face of a Straw Hat.

I don't get it. :l
    A frequent criticism of later Naruto is that many of it's initially interesting side characters don't do enough and feel wasted. Many (but not all) of the characters you listed are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    A frequent criticism of later Naruto is that many of it's initially interesting side characters don't do enough and feel wasted. Many (but not all) of the characters you listed are like that.
    Wait, so you mean to tell me Naruto's gonna turn into DBZ where most of the side characters end up as underutilized caricatures of themselves? Well, that fractured my heart a bit...
    The face of a Straw Hat.

i watched Space Patrol Luluco
    it was very nothing. a resounding meh. the only episode i really cared for the Sex & Violence w/ Machspeed crossover, because wow was I not expecting that

other than that i mostly just want to rewatch Panty & Stocking now

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Today I came across something on Crunchyroll, a series called Alice & Zoroku.

Thumbnail had an old man and little blonde girl. I thought "little kid and crotchety old man", looks slice of lifey. Scene 1 is a stormy night outside a pharmaceutical company, girl is staggering and supernatural powers are getting thrown around.

I quickly realized this was not what I signed up for, but I was on board nonetheless.

First episode, at least, is 45 minutes long. One thing I liked is that the old man, Zoroku, was not in the least intimidated by kids flinging around superpowers. Also the way the first episode plays out suggests a nice twist of dynamics, since Zoroku takes it upon himself to take in the girl, Sana, and keep her out of trouble.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Wait, so you mean to tell me Naruto's gonna turn into DBZ where most of the side characters end up as underutilized caricatures of themselves? Well, that fractured my heart a bit...
    Once you get over the initial pain, you can enjoy the rest of the ride with a big bucket of popcorn, though. And sometimes you get ever so slight glimpses of what could've been.

Well, I've started my rewatch of Yu Yu Hakusho. Watched the first two episodes earlier this evening and, so far, it's as good as I remember; maybe even better.

Honestly, I was never that fond of the early slice-of-life (plus supernatural ghost story) episodes as a kid, but I think they actually set everything up pretty well and managed to get some really funny and emotional stuff in there (part of which is owed to the great performances of the Funi cast). Also, something I'm not sure I ever really appreciated was that this series does have a real heart to it. Right off the bat we get this story about a punk kid who figures everyone would be better off without him, but then realizes that his life has value (yeah, okay, it's a mini-It's a Wonderful Life story, but still).

Well, it's still a long road ahead and I'm looking forward to it.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Just finished watching Samurai Champloo with a few other AP people, and I really loved it! I was actually hooked on the show from the intro; "Battlecry" is just that good. I don't normally even like hip-hop music that much, but the soundtrack for the series was beyond excellent. Also appreciated how very well-done the choreography was, and the "anachronism" mashup theme was quite fun and refreshing.

Any gripes with the series are overall pretty minor ones. I did find Fuu, the female lead, to be kind of annoying in the beginning of the series--it felt like she was overly bossy and whined/complained a lot, and she sometimes came across as ungrateful for her bodyguards--but at least, while that didn't totally disappear until the finale, it was lessened over time. Funny enough, in the beginning I complained a bit about Fuu getting kidnapped all the time (though, considering the time period, it does make sense), but looking back, I enjoyed seeing the guys go to save her when that happened, so in retrospect it doesn't bother me nearly so much. There were also some characters that I wish had shown up more, like the assassin guy (Inuyama?) from the second episode who was like "We will meet again" but they never did, and Manzo getting to do some actual secret police work instead of just being a narrator, though that may have been the point, lol.

I'll admit I did have some concerns going into the finale--since most of the series was pretty episodic and we still only had a limited knowledge of the background of two of our main characters, I was worried whether all that could be wrapped up well enough. Luckily, it definitely was; the questions I still had were tied up nicely, the finale felt genuinely high-stakes for all of the mains, and there was a lot of suspense there. Not to mention, we got to see the main trio forming a solid bond as the series continued, and the finale episodes did a great job of highlighting and emphasizing that character development they all had. And I very much liked the ending (which usually plays an important part in how much I like a series overall) and found it satisfying for the most part.

I liked all three mains a lot. Both samurai characters, Jin and Mugen, were incredibly badass and enjoyable. My personal favorite is probably Mugen, who has a "crazy-awesome" vibe to him that makes him super interesting to watch, and he also is definitely the most quotable, with the solid majority of the best lines in the series. Though that's not to take away from Jin, who gets quite a few hilarious "comically serious" moments throughout the series.

I won't go into much more detail in order to keep from spoiling the series for anybody who may watch in the future, but bottom line is, it was an excellent anime, would definitely recommend! Has 26 episodes, so not too long of a watch. We were watching in a group of six, with four of us who'd never seen it before, and all four newbies enjoyed it.
    We did the English dubbed version, which is without a doubt one of the best dubs I've ever seen. Created by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop, Watanabe, which apparently also has a great dub--heck, Steven Blum, the VA who voices Spike from that series, also voices Mugen. (Though if you do watch the subbed version, Mugen there is played by Kazuya Nakai--a.k.a. Zoro--and Fuu's VA is also Nodame from Nodame Cantabile, so there is that.)

Hidden:

been reading this chinese web novel, Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar)

http://gravitytales.com/novel/the-kings-avatar
    https://www.webnovel.com/book/7176992105000305

link to the manhua: http://gravitytales.com/posts/novel/...-avatar-manhua

Synopsis
    In the multiplayer online game Glory, Ye Xiu is regarded as a textbook and a top-tier pro-player. However, due to a myriad of reasons, he is kicked from the team. After leaving the pro scene, he finds work in an Internet Cafe as a manager. When Glory launches its tenth server, he throws himself in to the game once more. Possessing ten years of experience, the memories of his past, and an incomplete, self-made weapon, his return along the road to the summit begins!
    finally they made the animation, great graphics and story
    but because this was my 1st chinese animation, not really used to their dubber/seiyu ...

here's the 'anime' official english sub
    https://acts.webnovel.com/2017/5840187/index.html

episode 1
    <font size="2">

episode 2
    <font size="2">

This show had a really awesome game for the Sega Game Gear, so I started watching it:

It's like a better version of Inuyasha (made before Inuyasha), with a theme song by Hironobu Kageyama.

I'm finally jumping into the hole that is The Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Watched the first movie and the first three episodes, and I'm surprised at how quickly it gripped me. Being 110 eps, I thought it would be a slow start. Stuff like Hunter x Hunter doesn't even get good until you're at least a dozen episodes in, but I was in just from watching that first movie. The characters and animation are a little stiff, but the writing and themes are tight. Focusing separately on each side highlights both the complexity and pointlessness of war. I particularly liked that, in the movie (which is essentially the pilot), you don't even really hear what the sides are until the very end, like an afterthought. The soundtrack is another highlight. The classical music simultaneously evokes feelings of the classical wars such pieces were often made to embody and acts as a calm backdrop to the large-scale violence, putting you in the headspace of the commanders who must distance themselves from the horrors of war to guide the battles.

I have no clue what's in store for me throughout the journey. The movie and the first couple episodes were centered on galactic battles, but episode 3 started introducing the politics of the warring sides, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else the series has to show me.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

LoGH is amazing
    it's a complex and gripping political story with well-developed and interesting characters
    but also it's a series of hilarious reaction images because having no context leads to stuff like

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

LoGH is basically my favorite thing in the world. I'd rewatch it yearly if I wasn't so lazy with my entertainment.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Fuck it. I'm redownloading it. You can never have too much Ginga in your life.

Got a craving to watch a bunch of giant robot stuff so I'm starting with Evangelion, which I've watched before but don't remember that much about, and I never watched End of Evangelion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I'm finally jumping into the hole that is The Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Watched the first movie and the first three episodes, and I'm surprised at how quickly it gripped me. Being 110 eps, I thought it would be a slow start. Stuff like Hunter x Hunter doesn't even get good until you're at least a dozen episodes in, but I was in just from watching that first movie. The characters and animation are a little stiff, but the writing and themes are tight. Focusing separately on each side highlights both the complexity and pointlessness of war. I particularly liked that, in the movie (which is essentially the pilot), you don't even really hear what the sides are until the very end, like an afterthought. The soundtrack is another highlight. The classical music simultaneously evokes feelings of the classical wars such pieces were often made to embody and acts as a calm backdrop to the large-scale violence, putting you in the headspace of the commanders who must distance themselves from the horrors of war to guide the battles.

I have no clue what's in store for me throughout the journey. The movie and the first couple episodes were centered on galactic battles, but episode 3 started introducing the politics of the warring sides, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else the series has to show me.
    Have fun with the series. For me it´s one of the best things in fiction period, so you have many things to look forward to.

Always nice to see people trying it out, 110 episodes is a big hurdle after all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information