+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What Anime Are You Watching?

Default Re: What Anime Are You Watching?

I started reading Hajime no Ippo a little while ago after putting it off for so long
    150 chapters in already, so you know, 1/10th. I'm definitely enjoying it. Also, my god, there was a bunch of homoerotic tension with Miyata but the series just goes from zero to full-on gay at breakneck pace once Sendou arrives. I honestly expected him and Ippo to just start making out with how much they were crushing on each other. It's great, tbh.

Also also, the Saeki fight is probably one of the best uses of negative space I've seen in a manga for some time and this shit was in the 90s. Good stuff. Hopefully, I don't hit the fatigue too hard, but I'm well aware that Ippo is a long runner.

I also checked out the dub of the anime and I have to say, it's messy but there's a certain heart into it that endears me to it. It's got some really snappy dialogue and solid casting. No one really sounds their age, but that's more or less true to the japanese version too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post
    whats even weirder is that "the end of evangelion" seems to throw everything that the show had built up and disregards all of it's messages. it's all most seems like it was made as a "fuck you" for it.
    not really.the fuck you imo was the last 2 episodes which completely disregarded the actual plot.i mean,yeah the show mainly is a deconstruction but that doesn't mean you just ignore the basis of the show.i really thought that the movie was a proper conclusion to all the themes and messages of the series before.
    Spoiler:
    i thought the end of evangelion,while controversial as an ending by many people,followed the themes.generally speaking,i don't know how people expected a cheery and completely happy ending.shinji did change,but in his own way and not just automatically becoming a normal person

Spoiler:
    shinji is a very shitty character in it. all the things he seemed to have learned in the last episode of the anime are entirely disregarded. he's even worse here, with him masturbating on asuka's unconscious body and trying to kill her at the end.
    Spoiler:
    the stuff he does at the beginning is fucked up,and is supposed to represent that he is at his lowest.but i really don't think he was trying to kill her.it's open to interpretations,of course but considering the ending parts and dialogue,this makes zero sense.my take(and there can be many) on it is that when Shinji experienced the singular consciousness or whatever you call it,that there is no happiness in such a thing.he realised that unless there is anyone else,your existence is not real.so he basically realised that unless you are able to feel pain,or loneliness or love,you can't really exist.you need others to validate your existence.
    but the only way he could interact with others is through hurting them.so,after coming to a real world from a place where you can't hurt others or be hurt(and conversely,can't accept or love others or be loved),so he hurts her to feel real again.
    tl;dr i wrote some not that great analysis but he most probably wasn't trying to kill her.

currently,i am watching katanagatari and am around halfway through.it's good,but personally isn't as good as i was hoping.
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

watched samurai champloo and it was amazing. from it's animation to it's soundtrack and the story, all of it was pure awesomeness.
    i heard it was made by the same guy who made cowboy bebop and it really shows. the episodic structure, the social commentary, and the backstory that is revealed bit by bit as the series progresses, all things that cowboy bebop had.
    the soundtrack was the best i've ever heard in any anime, it's all hip hop beats with a calm relaxing jazzy sound, the opening was the best song in it.
    it was an amazing series, ill definitely rewatch it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by sggupta View Post
    Spoiler:
    so he hurts her to feel real again.
    i guess thats likely, considering that he
    Spoiler:
    backed down when she woke up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post
    watched samurai champloo and it was amazing. from it's animation to it's soundtrack and the story, all of it was pure awesomeness.
    i heard it was made by the same guy who made cowboy bebop and it really shows. the episodic structure, the social commentary, and the backstory that is revealed bit by bit as the series progresses, all things that cowboy bebop had.
    the soundtrack was the best i've ever heard in any anime, it's all hip hop beats with a calm relaxing jazzy sound, the opening was the best song in it.
    it was an amazing series, ill definitely rewatch it some time.
    Yeah, Watanabe's great, and the soundtrack is great. All the artists on it are awesome, and I'd recommend checking out their other work!

Did you watch dub or sub? Because they're both really good experiences.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

the sub. i don't like english dubs very much, but if it's as good cowboy bebop's then maybe i'll rewatch it in it.

Yeah, some folks even call the dub better than the sub. Plus, it's got Steven Blum (dub Spike Spiegel) back as Mugen, and he does a killer job.

I just finished my second rewatch of FMA:B yesterday. I'm still so impressed by the emotional impact it has on me.

I think the series has a lot of flaws. The first episode is a weaker place to start than in Liore, the beginning is rushed, and a lot of the directing of the comedic scenes clashes with the more serious ones. There's also a few character arcs that I could complain about, and some lines and character beats get repeated to death throughout.

Even so, the way it really culminates in its darker moments, and especially in the whole finale just floor me every time. I think it's that Arakawa's thoughts and feelings come through them almost nakedly at times. Like with the ends of the homunculi, there's a certain fragility there that makes me cry even when these horrible monsters are being killed. Some of the final moments regarding main characters, both sad and happy, make me tear up a lot, too.

I get emotional over a lot of shows to some extent or another, but I don't think I've found any other media that could make me outright cry like some of those moments. Like messy tears falling kind of crying. FMA:B is the kind of show that makes me want to do better as a human being, and appreciate all the things that I have.

If there are any of you left who haven't given it a shot, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

Since we are next to Halloween, I finished watching the entirely of Hellsing Ultimate.

Hidden:

So lately I've been stressed by studies (and I guess I'm bit homesick) and I'm looking for something to help me relax. Do you know any shows with these characteristics?

- The overall mood is positive
    - But the show is not above drama and sad moments
    - Has heartwarming moments; the kind that makes you cry and smile at the same time.
    - Character-oriented

Doesn't matter how old or new it is, if its famous, length, etc. Something that makes you feel at home and makes you care for the cast like a family. One Piece is a good example. And for non-animated shows, Star Trek.

Or alternatively something similar to Tim Burton's movies or Laika's productions. That halloweeny feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    So lately I've been stressed by studies (and I guess I'm bit homesick) and I'm looking for something to help me relax. Do you know any shows with these characteristics?

- The overall mood is positive
    - But the show is not above drama and sad moments
    - Has heartwarming moments; the kind that makes you cry and smile at the same time.
    - Character-oriented

Doesn't matter how old or new it is, if its famous, length, etc. Something that makes you feel at home and makes you care for the cast like a family. One Piece is a good example. And for non-animated shows, Star Trek.

Or alternatively something similar to Tim Burton's movies or Laika's productions. That halloweeny feeling.
    I have no clue what you've seen, so:

My biased recommendation is Tatami Galaxy. It doesn't exactly suit all of your needs, since it's much more comedy than drama, but it's pretty character-driven and, though it has a bit of a slow start, it's really cleverly-written, and has an immensely satisfying ending, that I think covers your third point pretty nicely.

A few that you're more likely to have seen, but if not then here:

Mushishi came immediately to mind. It isn't really character-oriented, or incredibly upbeat, but it is definitely relaxing. It essentially follows a spirit doctor, who deals with these primordial spirits called Mushi. The tone is sort of sort of somber, but not necessarily downbeat. Some people are helped, some can't be helped It has a really calm, yet engaging pace, though, that's good to unwind to.

FLCL is pretty classic, and mostly an over-the-top comedy, but at its core, there's a good coming of age story, helped by its alt-rock soundtrack that can be pretty frantic, or mellow, when it needs to.

Tokyo Godfathers is a movie, and it's a Christmas story about a trio of homeless people who find a baby and journey to return it to its home. It's a really good character-driven story that I think hits everything you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I have no clue what you've seen, so:

My biased recommendation is Tatami Galaxy. It doesn't exactly suit all of your needs, since it's much more comedy than drama, but it's pretty character-driven and, though it has a bit of a slow start, it's really cleverly-written, and has an immensely satisfying ending, that I think covers your third point pretty nicely.

A few that you're more likely to have seen, but if not then here:

Mushishi came immediately to mind. It isn't really character-oriented, or incredibly upbeat, but it is definitely relaxing. It essentially follows a spirit doctor, who deals with these primordial spirits called Mushi. The tone is sort of sort of somber, but not necessarily downbeat. Some people are helped, some can't be helped It has a really calm, yet engaging pace, though, that's good to unwind to.

FLCL is pretty classic, and mostly an over-the-top comedy, but at its core, there's a good coming of age story, helped by its alt-rock soundtrack that can be pretty frantic, or mellow, when it needs to.

Tokyo Godfathers is a movie, and it's a Christmas story about a trio of homeless people who find a baby and journey to return it to its home. It's a really good character-driven story that I think hits everything you're looking for.
    I was going to say I haven't seen a lot of anime, and then it turns out I saw half of them (FLCL & Tokyo Godfathers) But thank you! And in my case it's actually better if it's leans more towards comedy than drama, so it sounds like Tatami Galaxy is the one for me. I know I've been interested in that one before (the intro and outro are very memorable).

And if anyone comes up with more examples, I'm happy to hear them. The more the merrier!

Hanasaku Iroha
    I was going to say I haven't seen a lot of anime, and then it turns out I saw half of them (FLCL & Tokyo Godfathers) But thank you! And in my case it's actually better if it's leans more towards comedy than drama, so it sounds like Tatami Galaxy is the one for me. I know I've been interested in that one before (the intro and outro are very memorable).

And if anyone comes up with more examples, I'm happy to hear them. The more the merrier!
    I think this one fits pretty well what you asked in the earlier post, Hanasaku Iroha. I found it while hitting the random button on crunchryroll, it's a SoL and I've come to like pretty much all characters. I don't want to put your hopes up to high, but I reaaaaly liked it xD

If you don't mind an anime that runs a bit longer i can heartly recommend Uchuu Kyoudai. It definitely fits the points you want exactly.
    It's kind of a Slice-of-Life/Comedy-anime that is very realistic, doesn't have many typical anime-tropes and has great characters that really grow on you.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Quote Originally Posted by madriano View Post
    Hanasaku Iroha

I think this one fits pretty well what you asked in the earlier post, Hanasaku Iroha. I found it while hitting the random button on crunchryroll, it's a SoL and I've come to like pretty much all characters. I don't want to put your hopes up to high, but I reaaaaly liked it xD
    It sounds so cute! I like that its using a very simple setting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    If you don't mind an anime that runs a bit longer i can heartly recommend Uchuu Kyoudai. It definitely fits the points you want exactly.
    It's kind of a Slice-of-Life/Comedy-anime that is very realistic, doesn't have many typical anime-tropes and has great characters that really grow on you.
    Watched the intro, I have NO idea whats going on. Guess I have to watch to find out!

I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar

I just finished watching the ReLife anime. I liked it a lot for its entertainment value, but it didn't offer the greatest material in terms of actual substance; it hit me on a primal level, I must admit (Rem is bestest of best girls and the intense gore appealed to my sensationalist desires), but far too many things bothered me about it to put it on a pedestal (specifically Subaru's inconsistent development and the poor utilization of series namesake plot device). Despite all of that, I do suggest giving it a go. Its very fun as long as you don't think about too much.

I just got finished watching Cowboy Bebop for the first time and I gotta say, no wonder most people love it. From the characters, to the overall tone, to the music, it's all great. It felt like an experience than just simply watching. You could even have your own interpretation of an episode, even the ending of the series. I never hear anyone say that Jet was their favorite (it's mostly Spike), but he was mine (along with Edward).

It's a short series, only 26 episodes, but it's well worth watching.
    The face of a Straw Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post
    I just finished watching the ReLife anime. I liked it a lot for its entertainment value, but it didn't offer the greatest material in terms of actual substance; it hit me on a primal level, I must admit (Rem is bestest of best girls and the intense gore appealed to my sensationalist desires), but far too many things bothered me about it to put it on a pedestal (specifically Subaru's inconsistent development and the poor utilization of series namesake plot device). Despite all of that, I do suggest giving it a go. Its very fun as long as you don't think about too much.
    You watched Re:Zero, ReLife is in fact a different anime. xD

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAppleJack View Post
    Lmao. I had watched Relife before and The Tenth Strawhat's commentary made me think I had missed some episodes.

I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAppleJack View Post
    This may come of as silly, but I thought they were synonymous. Google dashed that notion pretty quickly.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Recently started watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, together with some pals here on AP on their recommendation. I have to say, I'm liking it a lot! My second favorite out of my various animanga series (which, admittedly, isn't many) after One Piece at this point.

I particularly like the female characters in the series. One of the few issues I occasionally have with One Piece is the way it sometimes portrays its female characters, but I can't really think of a woman in FMAB who's badly written. Winry, Riza, Izumi, Olivier...it's hard to figure out who's my favorite. And of course, the male characters are super cool. Both the leads are great, as are Roy, Hughes, Armstrong, Ling...guess I just really like the characters in general a lot.

It's an interesting, engaging storyline, and after the ridiculously slow pace that the OP anime has had lately, the actually-good pacing of FMAB has been such a fresh change. Overall, really really solid series so far (and I have no reason to think that will change). Definitely a keeper.
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information