+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

After watching the trailer for the Guillermo del Toro film The Shape of Water set to be released later this year. I decided to reacquaint myself with two of his older works. The Devil’s Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth (a.k.a. The Labyrinth of the Faun).

The Devil’s Backbone is more firmly grounded in the real world between the two. The movie follows a group of young boys who live in an orphanage. There's this through line of brotherhood between them that really works in favor of the movie overall, both positively and negatively. Positively in that its handled well enough to be believable. So that once their lives fall apart around them, it all has the desired negative effect because it's happening to likeable people. The villain of the movie is an interesting contradiction, in that he projects a superficial kind of strength that serves to mask how miserable he really is. I find him to be a great dark counterpart for the protagonists. And it's all wrapped up in a well done ghost story package.

Pan's Labyrinth has a more surreal quality to it. This movie centers on the home life of a young girl. It's worth noting that the movie never feels the need to explain the strangeness that goes on throughout. It's left open to interpretation if a distinction between real life and fantasy exists at all. There's an element of the imagination as an escape from the harsh cruelties of reality at work in Pan's Labyrinth, that simultaneously acknowledges one must confront their issues eventually. The antagonist for this one has more of a bloodthirsty blatantly political presence to him than the one in The Devil’s Backbone. So he comes across as more threatening and despicable as he should.

I would hope The Shape of Water follows in the footsteps of these films. They're both bittersweet but Guillermo del Toro has a flair for movies like that.

“I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion.” — Jun Fukuda

If you like action films and/or Charlize Theron, Atomic Blonde is worth the ticket. It probably won't blow you away because the bulk of the story is told by Theron's character recalling what happened to her over the past few days. It's not my first choice of how to present a movie but far from a deal breaker. I'm not going to add spoiler bits because any hint at the big twist could ruin how you watch the movie the first time. The whole double agent/ manipulation plot it has going for it is an acquired taste but the movie is really entertaining.

I saw this comment calling it Lung Cancer: The Movie because every other scene has someone smoking.

I'm pretty sure I watched at least part of End of Evangelion at some point but I don't know why I wouldn't have watched the entire thing. In any case I finished NGE today and watched EoE. I thought it was pretty great. It's as good an ending as any really and I think an ambiguous ending fits the show pretty well. Especially if you think like some people do that the original Episodes 25 and 26 basically take place at the same time as EoE. Wasn't a fan of the live action scenes though. I also think it would have had a lot more impact if the scenes showing while Komm Susser Tod played didn't have dialogue but maybe that wouldn't have expressed everything that they wanted to express.

The animation was also good. NGE almost through the entire show had a lot of static scenes and there were some in EoE too but the animation was a lot more constant rather than robot fights being well animated and everything else being tons of static shots.

Happy Family.

But wasn't happy myself as it just felt like some random unstructured mess where too many plot points just led to completely nowhere. Like why did the daughter have hypnosis powers again? And the conflict felt way too forced. None of the family members' inner journey felt satisfactory in any way. Just were happy when it finally was over...
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

The Beguiled BY SOFIA COPPOLA

Elle Fanning is playing a lusty teen. But it doesn't make it worth it.
    Pointless movie.

Very shallow story just like every film she has made-- except maybe Lost in Translation because Bill Murray is in it.
    Last edited by Nilitch; August 24th, 2017 at 02:29 PM.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

The Object of My Affection

'One shouldn’t be too hard on oneself when the object of one’s affection returns the favor with rather less enthusiasm than one might have hoped.'
    A movie from 1998 starring Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. So really, how bad could it be? The answer is not at all bad, I really enjoyed it.

It's about a straight woman and a gay man moving in together and entering a platonic relationship that threatens to prevent them from moving on with their individual lives. (Oh hi, Doris and Dom)

Every single named character in this movie is an actual 3-dimensional being and just absolutely real. That's really rare at least in the movies I usually watch. Whch is probably also why I didn't want the movie to end. I enjoyed getting to know everybody too much and wanted to keep seeing them live their lives. That's one part of it. I also didn't want the movie to end because I could not see an ending that would feel satisfying to me. And it...wasn't? Or was? It made sense, it was really as much of a happy ending as it could be. I am just not sure if everybody really got what they wanted in the end. But then, when is anybody ever 100% happy?

In any case, this 20 year old movie was totally respectful towards its gay characters and on top of that it challenged my beliefs about relationships and families which I find pretty impressive. I may be overselling how revolutionary the content is. It's probably not. It's just real.

How original is it to still have this in my signature 5 years later?

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...es-of-all-time

Funny list, and interesting to see who voted for which film.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Colossal was pretty good.

Took a surprisingly datk turn but no one said it was just a comedy. Themes of abuse and alcoholism are also wrapped in this film. But they fit naturally. Nothing felt forced.

Would recommend, 8/10.
    Everything's Eventual...

So I came across one of the most surprisingly out of nowhere enjoyable horror movies since...Cabin in the Woods.

Housebound

It's on Netflix. Check it out.
    Last edited by Outerspec; August 29th, 2017 at 10:00 PM.
    Everything's Eventual...

I tried to watch Wayne's World, but i couldn't bring myself to finish it.
    the humor was so cringy i just couldn't take it, the straw that broke the camel's back for me was this ingenious joke:
    "If she was a president, she would be Baberaham Lincoln"
    I cringed so hard and turned it off.

Watched Baywatch and got what I came for. Some cheap laughs & hot women in tight swimsuits. I really don't know why ppl are hating on it, but I guess it's because I have never seen the originial series, thus its "legacy" means nothing to me. Though, you could argue why the movie is 2 hours long with such a thin plot, but still I enjoyed every second of Daddario <3
    We all float down here!

Baywatch was good. I want a sequel with more jokes, and more of The Rock.

And also 3 more sequels on the blue-eyed lady

Since we've been having a bit of a dry spell with new movies and I wanted to go out and do something on my Labor Day weekend, I went out and saw the 40th anniversary re-release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Still holds up amazingly well.

Funny enough though, Close Encounters isn't even one of my favorite movies or even one I've seen that many times. Heck, this may be the first time I've actually sat down and watched it all the way through in one sitting. But it's definitely a classic and an incredibly effective sci-fi film (and just a film in general).

What's really great though is how the special effects hold up. Despite all the advances in technology we've made in the last 40 years, the sheer grandeur and intensity of the alien mother ship matches up to and even surpasses a lot of today's effects.

My favorite scene though is when the investigators go to India and we hear all the witnesses chanting the five notes for the first time. They ask where they heard the sounds and they all simultaneously point up. It's just an ingeniously paced and shot scene that gives me chills each time I see it.

Stephen King's It (which I will call it to stop people from getting confused about what I'm talking about) was amazing. Pants-shittingly scary and I probably would've ended up with multiple phobias if I was younger and wasn't familiar with the book and the miniseries. The kids were all great and likable and well-acted. An extreme improvement over the old miniseries.

Only gripe is that they mostly refrained from doing iconic moments from the book that had already been done in the miniseries. But that leads to certain things being wasted like
    Hidden:
    there being no real pay-off to Eddie getting over his fake diseases (because there's no battery acid scene) and because there's no slingshot with silver bullets, the writers had Beverly be kidnapped and damseled instead.
    And It barely talks after the Georgie scene because the writers probably knew you can't top Tim Curry.

Everyone in the audience groaned during the end credits because it said "It: Chapter One" because these dumb motherfuckers don't know their classics.

It's funny though as they should be used to horror movies having sequels unnecessary or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

God, just, you know, I really hate the 1991 Beauty and the Beast film. I mean, the charm, the beautiful singing, the breathtaking visuals? Who wants that? I mean, the great animation and character designs that made the characters so memorable? Why couldn't they have been done in creepy live-action CGI instead? And Belle and Beast having chemistry? Why would you ever give a couple chemistry? Why can't they act like cousins forced to spend time together at a family reunion instead? And who, I ask you, who would actually like Paige O'Hara's beautiful singing? It would have been so much better if she talked-sang in autotune. But the worst thing about the original? Oh, and those songs. Our Guest, The Mob Sing, Little Quiet Village. Why did Disney have to make them good. Why couldn't it add some new songs that were really bland and forgettable?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hide View Post
    God, just, you know, I really hate the 1991 Beauty and the Beast film. I mean, the charm, the beautiful singing, the breathtaking visuals? Who wants that? I mean, the great animation and character designs that made the characters so memorable? Why couldn't they have been done in creepy live-action CGI instead? And Belle and Beast having chemistry? Why would you ever give a couple chemistry? Why can't they act like cousins forced to spend time together at a family reunion instead? And who, I ask you, who would actually like Paige O'Hara's beautiful singing? It would have been so much better if she talked-sang in autotune. But the worst thing about the original? Oh, and those songs. Our Guest, The Mob Sing, Little Quiet Village. Why did Disney have to make them good. Why couldn't it add some new songs that were really bland and forgettable?
    Your sarcasm needs a bit of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

'It' was fantastically scary, creepy, unnerving, surprisingly funny, warm, and fun!

And it wasn't just the monster that made the movie fit those descriptions. It was all the human characters too.

Looking forward to more~
    Everything's Eventual...

I didn't like Baby Driver.
    Spoiler:

I didn't understand why he owed a debt to Kevin Spacey--- I think I missed the one line, but I know it's something about Baby stealing Spacey's car.

And didn't understand why he just didn't call the cops to say where were the baddies or else.

Because I'm having trouble here to understand how he is a nice guy. Looks like some Roy Mustang BS

Watched It yesterday. It was good, and was really well made but I wasn't really much of a fan of the whole "Sandlot with a killer clown" feeling of it. I've only seen a little bit of the original movie and haven't read any of the book though so I don't know if that's strictly because of the adaptation or if the book was really like that. Some of the humor was pretty good and there was some great visuals. I wonder who's going to be playing the characters in the adult portion for the next movie.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information