+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Default Re: Thoughts on the last movie you watched.

Baby Driver

It's been a while since I have been able to have such good fun with a movie. For the first time in a while I saw a movie that wasn't trying to drop some heavy stuff or be totally dumb but rather just have some decent fun. I miss those movies.

Glad to see my thread reaching 10 pages, and I'm more glad that i named it that way and didn't name it "what movie are you watching" because reading your thoughts on movies was very interesting.
    anyways...
    I recently watched The Breakfest Club for the first time and i absolutely loved it, the characters were realistic to a certain degree and were all flawed. i really liked watching them interact with and explore each other flaws. i also liked how the movie showed that teenagers also have to deal with alot pressure that was either coming from their peers or parents.
    all in all it was a great movie that everyone should watch, especially parents.

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

I've seen Okja twice so far and what I enjoy the most about it is the progression of Bong Joon-ho's style. The relationship between Mija and Okja is similar to the family dynamic seen in The Host. Only the focus on Mija and Okja makes the personal connection to their characters stronger. While the social commentary is more overt in its presentation like in Snowpiercer I found. The humor, drama, action, and over the top characters within Okja feels familiar. But manages to avoid becoming a retread of concepts and articulates a story that stands firmly on its own. Out of the three films i've seen from Bong, Okja is objectively his best work so far. Having said all that, I still prefer The Host over the others. I do like Okja abit more than Snowpiercer though.

“I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion.” — Jun Fukuda

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Baby Driver - Go see this movie.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Just watched Sausage Party. Hated it. The humor and vulgarity were rarely funny and usually just put me off, to the point of being occasionally nauseating.

Spoiler:

Dunkirk sucks.

Nolan thought he was doing another Batman movie, he has no idea how to make a war movie.
    The scenario sucks too. Instead of talking about many things he chose to focus on 3 random beautiful Brits. Also, I don't know who wrote the dialogues but the dude has an obsession with punchlines. Nolan also chooses to create lame drama around a fisher and two boys for some reason.

Worst Cristopher Nolan movie.

Go see it if you wanna be angry.
    But if good cinematography and good sound editing is doing the job for you, then it's a masterpiece.

Spoiler:
    The movie tries to make it look like they care about the French at the beach, we have 3 lines about them-- okay. The first scene is also featuring some Frenchmen (btw, the French guys at the beginning of the movie had the mission to hold their position until they die and sadly it's not specified).
    But at the end of the movie a guy says "no I'm not leaving, I'll stay here for the French"---- and then the movie ends. lol.

Nolan tries to say that people weren't nice with the French but in the end makes a movie that only talks about some British soldiers and 3civils. Rogue One is doing a way better job in the "yeah they've sacrificed themselves" matter. But no, Nolan will not show a whole lot of English, no, he's gonna show 3 beautiful very random soldiers, 2/3 pilots, 3civils and some guys with a higher grade holding their hat.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Tarantino's next movie will be about Charles Manson.

It's gonna be his most retarded film.

I liked Dunkirk. There was a surprising lack of dialogue in their but the harrowing visual effects, sounds, and suspense made up for it. My only complaint is a detachment to the characters. I swear I do not remember if a single name was given.

-------------------------

But you know a better movie to see this weekend!?

Girl's Trip!!!

I don't know how many of you all are interested in a raunchy comedy starring 4 black women but it is outstandingly funny in the same vein as The Hangover and Bridesmaids. And I mention the race of the cast because I know people look at movies like this and think, 'This is a black people's movie' and don't give it a chance because they don't think they'll be into it or it's not for them, or whatever reason. Yes, this movie is a lot about black people, particularly black women, and has a lot of black cultural references, but, in the end, it's just a good movie. The movie is hilarious but, I repeat, it is a very raunchy comedy so if you're not into the type of humor that delves into penis jokes and sex techniques then this is not for you.

Also, good movie to bring a date or just a group of frinds. I went by myself but still had a great time with the audience but woulda been better with someone else.

I hope it does really well this weekend.
    Everything's Eventual...

Honestly a Nolan movie where no one talks sounds like a good thing given what a shitshow of dialogue his last movie was.

Coherence

I heard it compared to Primer but it's easier to understand I think. Interesting scenario too.

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    I liked Dunkirk. There was a surprising lack of dialogue in their but the harrowing visual effects, sounds, and suspense made up for it. My only complaint is a detachment to the characters. I swear I do not remember if a single name was given.
    What suspense? The fake-tension about the two boys running to the ship with a wounded man and then being told to get out of the boat ?
    The other boy (damn, only young beautiful boys died in the movie) being pushed in the boat by an English soldier, then falling on his head ? This was the most ridiculous part of drama in the movie "hey, I have no idea how to write this scenario, what about doing a very random death? like something that couldn't be more random? AND LET'S MAKE IT ONE OF THE 3 PLOTLINES OF THE MOVIE "

The movie was too much Batman-like (thriller-like) for a war movie, and too British.

quote from a French newspaper
    Spoiler:

'A dozen seconds devoted to a group of French soldiers defending the city... does not account for the indispensable French involvement to this mad evacuation.'

"Where are the 120,000 French soldiers also evacuated from Dunkirk in this film?'Where are the other 40,000 who sacrificed themselves to defend the city against a superior enemy in arms and in numbers?'

But yeah, let's give no shit about the plot. American Sniper is a masterpiece after all.

It's not even about the French thing, the plot is just not up to its ambition.

Also, the cuts were awful. Getting back to a scene that happened 15minutes ago with another perpective, what for?
    If Hans Zimmer hadn't done the music, I couldn't have guessed Nolan was directing. Looked more like a James Grey movie than Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    What suspense? The fake-tension about the two boys running to the ship with a wounded man and then being told to get out of the boat ?
    The other boy (damn, only young beautiful boys died in the movie) being pushed in the boat by an English soldier, then falling on his head ? This was the most ridiculous part of drama in the movie "hey, I have no idea how to write this scenario, what about doing a very random death? like something that couldn't be more random? AND LET'S MAKE IT ONE OF THE 3 PLOTLINES OF THE MOVIE "
    Ummm...that's war, man. Pointless, senseless, and at many times random deaths. You don't know exactly who's going to die in war. A bullet can come out of nowehere and kill the person standing right next to you. A bomb can land on your head at any second with a strong wind. Take a stroll out on a beach and you can step on a landmine. Get rescued by a ship and a torpedo from the depths sinks your rescue boat as you're eating bread and jam. Death is ever hanging over your head in war.

That's where the suspense comes from, in knowing anyone can die but not knowing exactly who. Any of these...beautiful boys you keep talking about is up for grabs by the grim reaper. Even innocent civilians caught in the middle like...

Spoiler:
    ...the young boy who was accidentally bashed in the head by a soldier suffering from PTSD.
    Yes, death is that random in real life so of course it can very well happen in war.

The pilots' adventure in the sky while running low on fuel was particularly well done with their dogfights and heroic sacrifices. Especially the last shot with...

Spoiler:
    ...the last pilot in the sky just gliding on the winds coming back outta nowhere to down the last enemy bomber to save a couple more troops. The was just a beautiful scene.
    The only complaint I have is a lack of intimacy with most of the characters because of little dialogue to get to know them. Rather, it just puts you in the harrowing position of watching the desperate escape of thousands of troops as they're slaughtered by the Germans, but it doesn't feel as personal as it could have been. Still, even though you might not know their names but you can at least sympathize with boys and men losing their lives while being so powerless to stop it.

Also, the cuts were awful. Getting back to a scene that happened 15minutes ago with another perpective, what for?
    I thought the cuts intersected quite nicely. It wasn't a linear story but it was far from sloppy or confusing. At first it was a little off-putting but when it all caught up together it felt seamless.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Ummm...that's war, man. Pointless, senseless, and at many times random deaths. You don't know exactly who's going to die in war. A bullet can come out of nowehere and kill the person standing right next to you. A bomb can land on your head at any second with a strong wind. Take a stroll out on a beach and you can step on a landmine. Get rescued by a ship and a torpedo from the depths sinks your rescue boat as you're eating bread and jam. Death is ever hanging over your head in war.
    My point was not that dying at any moments from any kinds of weapon was bad, but that Nolan focused too much time on a soldier who pushed a civilian down the stairs (not even mentioning his obvious death that was blatantly told when he went into the boat and said he wanted to help, also the other dude who told him where they were going was no joke) while thousands were dying on the beach and thousands were holding the Wehrmacht so that thousands could escape with the ships.
    Yes, this situation could have happened and maybe it did, but it didn't worth spending this much time on it. Nolan created some stupid drama here instead of focusing on things that mattered. I'm criticizing his poor choices here, not that people can die from it or not in times of war or not.

I'm not complaining about the guys who died crushed by the ships, but about Nolan spending too much time on pointless and unnecessary death scenario.

That's where the suspense comes from, in knowing anyone can die but not knowing exactly who.
    The sound editor and Hans Zimmer have done a great job.

Any of these...beautiful boys you keep talking about
    I've said one or two things about the main cast who is consisting of young models, yes. But whatever, that's not really my issue with the movie.

The pilots' adventure in the sky while running low on fuel was particularly well done with their dogfights and heroic sacrifices. Especially the last shot with...
    Yes the plotline with the pilots was good. Best part of the movie. (Don't know why only three are shown though)
    And there were pilots during the war who were fighting until the end even without gas left. Don't know if it happened during the Dunkirk evacuation though(but even "if", that would not really be a problem).

I have other complaints and probably even more would come to mind if I took the time to think about it, but the lack of soldiers who are seen crossing the sea is something though.
    Nolan made it a survival movie, while hundreds of thousands had crossed the sea (340 thousands did it and only 40thousands --mostly French-- died ), Nolan only shows ships who are getting sinked except in the last 10minutes, because... because it was more cinematic to do so. The writing couldn't be more classic (cliché/bad).
    Why does the whole plot unfolds within a day btw? Because Nolan is self-conscious with making this movie a survival.

Kingsman: The Secret Service was a great movie. Lots of cliches, but the effort and heart put into them made them all the better.

Spoiler:
    If there's one complaint I have, it's that Roxy becomes a nonfactor too early into the climax.

*Braces self for Fantastic Kingsmen and Where to Find Them*
    Last edited by Kaido King of the Beasts; July 24th, 2017 at 09:29 PM.

Spoiler:

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Kingsman: The Secret Service was a great movie. Lots of cliches, but the effort and heart put into them made them all the better.

Spoiler:
    If there's one complaint I have, it's that Roxy becomes a nonfactor too early into the climax.
    Spoiler:
    If the movie skipped all of that generic teamwork training shlock, I would praise it a lot more as a great film.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Spoiler:
    If the movie skipped all of that generic teamwork training shlock, I would praise it a lot more as a great film.
    Never had much of a problem with that, since my focus was kept pretty much entirely on Eggsy and Roxy and wasn't told to care about any of the other dudes

Spoiler:

Never had much of a problem with that, since my focus was kept pretty much entirely on Eggsy and Roxy and wasn't told to care about any of the other dudes
    That's exactly why I felt like it was such a waste of time to advocate that moral for missions. Especially as if it's supposedly this magical thing you can't ever consider. Reminded me of Naruto's bell trial with Kakashi, but at least that tied into the main themes of the ninja squads and group responsibility for Hokages and the Will of Fire and stuff.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    My reasons for loving this movie:
    Colin Firth
    The colorful image
    The fancy fights
    The church scene(Yes it deserve a seperate mention)
    A climax where the hero is motivated by doing it in the asshole with the princess of sweden. And it shows her about to do good on her promise. (I mean what movie does that!!!!!)

I tend to overanalyzed any fiction but give me a action movie that is self-aware and I will probably drink anything including stupid training where by the end everyone should know none is real(why the hell was Egsy scared to shoot or that kid scarred of the train) or that weird accent from James Bond. I will say I much preferred the mentor to Egsy. I was never quite sold of the contrast of british gentleman to action hero when it was his turn to do it.

That's why I love my "wanted" or "Shoot'em up""

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Spoiler:
    My reasons for loving this movie:
    Colin Firth
    The colorful image
    The fancy fights
    The church scene(Yes it deserve a seperate mention)
    A climax where the hero is motivated by doing it in the asshole with the princess of sweden(I mean what movie does that?)I tend to overanalyzed any fiction but give me a action movie that is self-aware and I will probably drink anything including stupid training where by the end everyone should know none is real(why the hell was Egsy scared to shoot or that kid scarred of the train) or that weird accent from James Bond. I will say I much preferred the mentor to Egsy. I was never quite sold of the contrast of british gentleman to action hero when it was his turn to do it.

That's why I love my "wanted" or "Shoot'em up""
    Spoiler:

That was all great. Especially the princess anal motivation lol.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

That was all great. Especially the princess anal motivation lol.
    Spoiler:

To this day it still surprise they left that dialogue in there.

Spoiler:

*Braces self for Fantastic Kingsmen and Where to Find Them*

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!!!!

*reads again before posting*

Oh, nvm, lol. I thought you all somehow got to see the Kingsman sequel before the rest of us.
    Everything's Eventual...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information