+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What did Luffy say?

Default What did Luffy say?

I feel like this little bit in the Luffy/Sabo/Ace flashback is routinely forgotten and remains really overlooked.
    I was rereading the flashback recently and stumbled over it again surprised.
    Remember this?

If the images don't show up for you, the chapter is 585 (volume 60). The 12th and 13th pages.

Spoiler:

The boys are yelling out their ambitions in front of eachother. Ace goes first, then Luffy takes his turn and...
    ...Oda cuts away ...and cuts back to Ace and Sabo's reaction of confusion and surprise.
    What the heck could Luffy have said that would cause that reaction? Especially since they already know what we already know, that he wants to be the King of Pirates. Which naturally Oda wouldn't have hidden anyway.
    So Luffy said something else...

...but what???

I often say One Piece is a celebration of the cliches of shonen/adventure stories, one that follows them and executes them well. But there are things about it that are very abnormal.
    And just how mysterious Luffy actually is to us the reader is a big one. This isn't in a Goku way where he has a secret backstory...but Goku is as clueless to this as the reader. Luffy knows things we don't that just pop up later in the story and shock us (Ace in Alabasta, Garp in Water7). And here our main character declaring I guess a more detailed specific form of his dreams...and we don't get to see it.

What the heck did that boy say.
    Last edited by Monkey King; June 26th, 2016 at 11:38 AM.

I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar

Default Re: What did Luffy say?

I really hope this is something Oda expands upon. Maybe he fully explained what he believed it meant to be Pirate King or something. On the same note, has Oda ever shown Luffy having an inner monologue outside of gags?

No! I just re-read that SBS corner question even! He never has! Oda says its because "he's a man of action" and will always say what he's thinking or act before he thinks. I love it.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post
    Maybe he fully explained what he believed it meant to be Pirate King or something.
    Something like this sounds right. We already glimpsed how much more...different or complex Luffy's idea of that was with what he said to Rayleigh.
    But that had to be a glimpse.
    I feel like what exactly it is will be key to the motivations that actually involve Luffy personally in the final conflicts of the series. That expand his motives beyond simply reaching Raftel and the treasure.

Maybe he mentions something specific too. Like I want to be the Pirate King and free the world from its chains. There is also the instance when Shanks mentions to Rayleigh that Luffy said the exact same thing as Roger did once. If Shanks joined Roger's crew just before his second trip to the grandline, it might have something to do with Roger's "speech" before they embarked on the second journey towards Raftel. The words could also be when they got to Raftel and discovered the Void century.

I can't see the page you linked though. I would like to see it again.

which chapter are these from exactly? because the pictures aren't showing up. but interesting observation nonetheless.

Oh yeah sorry if the images aren't showing up for some people.
    I edited the OP to include the volume/chapter/pages.

This scene has been bugging me forever too, so I am happy this is brought!

I always figured that whatever Luffy said then, must have been the same thing Shanks referenced to Rayleigh, when he told him that he had seen Luffy say the exact same things as Roger did. It was never specified then either what exactly Luffy said that impressed Shanks so much…

Spoiler:

If we ever find out the answer to this, and whoever threw the note at Chopper during Punk Hazard I'll be very relieved…

I always took Ace and Sabo's reactions as "You wanna be the King of the Pirates?! That's crazy!" since anyone else who hears Luffy's dream for the first time has a really dumbfounded look on their face. But Luffy's exclamation of his dream would probably get a rise of anger out of Ace since he hates his own father who is the Pirate King, which didn't happen, so it may be a more profound definition of his dream.

I agree with MK saying that whatever Luffy's true intentions for his dream will be his driving force towards the end of the series.

Btw, the pictures aren't showing up in the spoilers.
    The face of a Straw Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sognatore View Post

If we ever find out the answer to this, and whoever threw the note at Chopper during Punk Hazard I'll be very relieved…
    That was Law. IIRC his speech quirk was on it, which confirmed that.

I am also very curious as to what Luffy said. There has to be more to it. Oda will amaze us with the answer some day, I'm sure of it. I have no theories on it, beyond what people have already said in this thread about it moving beyond simply saying "I want to be Pirate King". I like the idea that it might be linked to his motivations for the final war.

I'm hoping it is something like that. It's his definition of Pirate King (and Oda's amazing comedic timing with him) that have elevated Luffy above your average Goku for me as a fighting-shounen protag.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

Huh. When I first read the chapter, I took the omission as a sort of gag thing, like it was Oda saying, "you all already know what Luffy says here, so I'll just skip to the reactions." But looking back at the chapter (link in the OP didn't show up for me so I used the Viz translation, no idea what the others say) Luffy says, "I WANT to be..." Want. Now, while Luffy's regular catchphrase is "I'm GONNA be king of the pirates," or the other variation that comes up sometimes, "I'm the man who WILL BECOME king of the pirates," it's possible that the version in this chapter is just what he said as a kid and he changed it later to be more definitive... but still, if he's just talking about being king of the pirates, I do believe this is the first time he's ever left any room for error. So yeah, it's highly likely that he's talking about something else here. No idea what it is, but it could be something more vague or abstract than what we've normally seen from him. I'll have to think more on this later, but it's pretty clear that Oda put that difference in there for a reason.

Any translators here wanna talk about the wording? Guys? Anyone?

EDIT: Just checked volume one, Luffy was saying "I'm gonna be king of the pirates" ever since the first chapter, which takes place before this one. So it's even more likely that what he wants to be is something else .
    Last edited by Kylor; June 26th, 2016 at 12:58 PM.

just watched it's anime counterpart episode 496. same thing happened, he was muted by the sounds of the wave.
    this is definitely something oda wants to get back to later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    they already know what that he wants to be the King of Pirates.
    Did they ?

I thought it was the first time he told his dream to his brothers.

I haven't gotten there again in my re-read and I don't have it handy, but I remember it the same. I still think there is reason to believe that Luffy said something a little extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    What the heck did that boy say.
    Ring-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

I think you guys are on to something, but at this point in his life what has Luffy been exposed to that could drive him to desire change, as some are suggesting? Luffy seems very much the happy-go-lucky type that speaks his mind so it would seem odd that we haven't heard anything else about it.

It's possible this all relates back to who his mother is, why his father started the Revolutionaries, and why Garp was left as his guardian.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Freecs View Post
    Did they ?

I thought it was the first time he told his dream to his brothers.
    He says here he wants to become the strongest pirate.

Regardless, it's weird that the whole thing was hidden. Even before meeting Ace and Sabo, Luffy was already proclaiming to become Pirate King, so it would be pointless for it to not be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    It's possible this all relates back to who his mother is, why his father started the Revolutionaries, and why Garp was left as his guardian.
    I have no idea what he would have said, but surely it has something to do with at least one of these.

Maybe "tamago jiken" (egg disaster/incident) is a subtle clue... (it isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    He says here he wants to become the strongest pirate.
    Well, he didn't say he wanted to be pirate king then.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information