+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: What did Luffy say?

Default Re: What did Luffy say?

Those are lines that I have always wondered and after thinking about it and knowing what we know about the story already, that famous line has to be something along the lines of "I'm gonna unite" rather than "I'm gonna become". Luffy by that point already knew what good and evil looked like, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kylor View Post
    Thanks a lot for answering! If I'm not mistaken, isn't Luffy's regular catchphrase, in Japanese, "kaizoku-ou ni ore wa naru" (i.e, the words "pirate king" come first)? If so, then I think we can basically confirm that Oda intentionally wrote the line in such a way as to draw attention to the fact that the King of the Pirates isn't being mentioned here. That's really helpful!
    Not necessarily. There have been instances where he's said 'ore wa kaizoku ou ni naru otoko da' (I'm the man who'll be King of the Pirates). The most memorable for me was when he was on Roger's execution platform.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)
    Bond en Avant practices drawing in general

I draw a silly comic about school and life.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Their reaction (Ace mainly) is more dumbfounded and slightly confused than "awe" or whatever way you're attempting to describe here. The effect is more that Luffy said something kind of strange or unexpected, and no not in the "WOW HOW AMBITIOUS" way that just saying he wanted to be Pirate King would create.
    There's the idea that I think Greg touched upon in his haki theory about visions and whatnot (I hope I didn't oversimplify that to the point of screwing up his point), but considering ONE PIECE, when written in the manga is always accompanied by the Japanese for "the great treasure that connects people", you can see how there have been theories about some kind of haki awakening toward the end of the series. Whitebeard's words before death about the world being thrown into upheaval have at least let 2chers theorize that the awakening would allow things regarding the history of the world to be revealed to them. I haven't read through a lot of the specifics, but it would be interesting if the unusual thing Luffy said was something to do with uniting people or something close to that. At the very least it would be a surprising thing for him to say to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sognatore View Post
    Yes, I know that's the most reasonable explanation, but it still annoys me that there never was any absolutely clear confirmation of that.
    we don't have to be spoon fed everything. appreciate the author respecting your intelligence and not treating you like you have the attention span of a child.
    i don't know how someone like you is gonna handle watching movies with ambiguous endings. you're gonna go crazy when you see the ending of inception.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Freecs View Post
    So I guess someone's gotta ask him the magic question "what do you want, let's yell it" and then he will tell ?
    that would a very lazy way to do it. if i have to guess, it would be revealed when luffy is in a bad situation and sabo would get him out of it by reminding him of it.

"I want to become a pirate king so that mommy would come back."

Yeah, always felt it was going to be explored further down the line. Because Luffy's past is still a mystery.

AS for Shanks' claim refering something other than what Luffy yelled when he was leaving? I don't buy it. It seemed like what Luffy sad was what sealed the deal and made him give him the hat. Perhaps the words Luffy uttered are more unique in japanese than in english, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I feel like this little bit in the Luffy/Sabo/Ace flashback is routinely forgotten and remains really overlooked.
    I was rereading the flashback recently and stumbled over it again surprised.
    Remember this?
    I just assumed is what the thing Shanks was talking about that made him sound similar to Roger.

I could see Luffy setting foot on raftel than we get a small 1-2 flashback to that moment, so we understand better what it means to Luffy to be there and appreciate it more.

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

He said : I'm gonna finish GreedIsland and find my mother !!!!

What if his mom is Ivankov ? Or Crocodile

Or maybe Dragon was a girl but Ivankov turned her into a man

That'd be awesome. All his racist fans would be mad.

The first shonen hero with two father.

i thought it was established that luffy said something which has not yet been revealed,and which ties into what shanks said were the exact same thing as roger said.but reading other's comments,it seems it's actually overlooked.
    yeah,i think it's a completely different thing from his usual "i'm gonna become the pirate king",maybe something about the connecting the world,or doing something crazy like having his flag flown around the world,or maybe something silly like having super fun adventures with great friends.could be anything really.
    i reckon we are gonna find out what it is even after vegapunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    "I want to become a pirate king so that mommy would come back."

Yeah, always felt it was going to be explored further down the line. Because Luffy's past is still a mystery.

AS for Shanks' claim refering something other than what Luffy yelled when he was leaving? I don't buy it. It seemed like what Luffy sad was what sealed the deal and made him give him the hat. Perhaps the words Luffy uttered are more unique in japanese than in english, or something.
    I don't agree with this. Because,you know,rayleigh pointed out that the concept of pirate king didn't exist before roger. It was not roger's aim to become known as the "pirate king",it was a term given to him by others. His aim probably was more something like conquer the grand line
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Going a little meta here, I'd say that oda already drew the first time that luffy said his dream, and he didn't want him saying it before that, even though he has already decided it by this point. Did he say it at all during either the sabo flashback or the first chapter?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by sggupta View Post
    His aim probably was more something like conquer the grand line
    I don't think he wanted to "conquer" anything, similarly to Luffy. If I would try to grasp his aim in traversing to the end of the Grand Line, I would guess that he attempted to travel beyond where anyone had gone before. The ultimate adventure, so to speak.

(Of course it is likely that Raftel is either the remains of the Ancient Kingdom or at least something affiliated with it, so naturally people had been there before, but not in 800 years.)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5 View Post
    I don't think he wanted to "conquer" anything, similarly to Luffy. If I would try to grasp his aim in traversing to the end of the Grand Line, I would guess that he attempted to travel beyond where anyone had gone before. The ultimate adventure, so to speak.

(Of course it is likely that Raftel is either the remains of the Ancient Kingdom or at least something affiliated with it, so naturally people had been there before, but not in 800 years.)
    yeah,i used the wrong word there,what i meant was conquer in an exploration sense,like we have conquered the moon,or Edmund Hillary conquered Mt Everest
    so what i meant was he probably wanted to reach the end of Grand line
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Hum it’s not that I don’t find the theory uninteresting since it is probably true oda is hiding something but then for what reason would Luffy always say his motto about becoming pirate king and never this unknown thing which seems more important to him ? Any idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Hum it’s not that I don’t find the theory uninteresting since it is probably true oda is hiding something but then for what reason would Luffy always say his motto about becoming pirate king and never this unknown thing which seems more important to him ? Any idea ?
    It's like expecting Zoro to explain about his promise to Kuina when he claims to the enemy that he will become the greatest swordsman. Heck, how many Straw Hats know about Kuina? Or Hiluluk? Or Tom? They're all behind some of the Straw Hats' goals, but people only really know about the goals themselves.

We never get to see Luffy's thoughts, so he's actually more mysterious than the rest of his crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Because Pirate King is a big flashy public goal that proves something, it's a declaration of intent, everyone gets it immediately.

Whatever Luffy said was more personal, something to share with his brothers when sincerely asked.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yeah it makes me curious as well.

Info not even have the slightest idea what it could be...

Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor,Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor,Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor,Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, HodorHodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor,Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor,Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor, Hodor and wait! More Hodor...

Oooh this is interesting, I never noticed it before.

Judging by Ace and Sabo's reactions, it has to be something grandiose enough to sound impossible. If it it was something super personal like "beat grandpa in a fight" or "meet my father/mother" then their reaction wouldn't have been half as shocked.

"Be pirate king" is out, so is "be free to sail the seas" cuz that's not shocking at all, it's gotta be more than that. Also, Luffy's just a kid and he's a bit of an idiot so it wouldn't be something super deep either.

I don't really see him saying "take down the world government" cuz he's too young to know the impact of that, or "destroy the marines" because Garp is in there, and even after being treated so rough, he still cares about him. It can't be something stupid like "get a bronze statue of myself" because it doesn't fit with Sabo's response either.

But I'm gonna agree with Zeph, I feel like one day he's going to reveal this dream of his and we're going to get a fleshed out flashback of this moment.
    Hidden:

I think because Luffy is a kid, it will be something simple worded, but with a very profound meaning.

"I'm gonna rule the world" would have worked, but Luffy doesn't really like being in authority and having people answer to him.
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information