+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: What did Luffy say?

Default Re: What did Luffy say?

Potential answer to this question in this twitter post from sandman_AP : Interestingly enough, it seems Roger is saying in this prototype that his treasure can "buy the world". Actually, Gaimon told Luffy the same thing in chapter 22, "Find ONE PIECE and buy the world!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    Finally I found it. A good translation of Gaimon's chapter.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20080622...op-v03c022.txt

So I'll make my guess,
    "I'm gonna buy the world!"
    After a quick search it looks like Kaworu already brought it up in this thread. I think this prototype dialogue from Roger gives a lot of credence to this theory.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Definitely an interesting and promising possibility, but it leaves me with a lot of questions. Buy the world from who? What are the implications of being the one who owns the world? Could Luffy buy it, and then give it away? I look forward to seeing how the vagueness could be interpreted by the story's ending.

"And what do you plan to do when you reach your goal?"

"I'm going to piss off the world's edge! I'm going to hold the sun in my hand! I'm going to shout at the top of my lungs from the highest point and declare myself to be the King of the World! And I'll throw the biggest party ever, where everyone can party as equals. Shishishishishishi!"

"Only fools chase such childish dreams..."

"then..THEN I'LL BECOME THE KING OF THE FOOLS!"

I could also see something about buying the world thrown in there somewhere.

"You idiot. You'd need to control the whole world before even thinking of doing some of those things."

"Well then, I'll just use the treasure I find to buy up the whole world!"

Something like that.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Definitely an interesting and promising possibility, but it leaves me with a lot of questions. Buy the world from who? What are the implications of being the one who owns the world? Could Luffy buy it, and then give it away? I look forward to seeing how the vagueness could be interpreted by the story's ending.
    This being One Piece and all, and given the focus placed on the value of food in this arc, coupled with our glimpse at Kyorshiro-stye economics...

*tosses spaghetti at the wall*

...Long ago, a great figure managed to dominate the entire world. But said figure found themselves in dire straits, and willingly offered up everything they owned for a bowl of rice, a bean, something they desperately needed or craved badly at the time out of hunger. Or maybe they were just tired of having the weight of the whole world on their shoulders, and said, "fuck it, I'll sell you the crown for XXXX." Transaction complete. The course of global history was set with the completion of this ridiculous bargain.

Resolving the core conflict weighing down all of One Piece Earth throughout its history somehow then revolves around returning said item or whatever in a symbolic "buying back" of the world from whoever now rules it.

I dunno.

This 'buying the world' solution won't be bad either. It is definitely not worst than 'partying with everybody' .
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Oh snap, I forgot to include another very important addendum with big implications: to become the King of the World, but only for one day. The role of Pirate King, if anything, equates with being the Lord of Misrule, for anyone familiar with ye old traditions in pagan folklore.

also ties into why I believe one of Luffy's multi-fold dreams -- his desire for a worldwide party -- will ultimately birth the One Piece equivalent of Carnivale by EOS: it's a nod to the ancient Festival of Freedom aka the Saturnalia.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Saturnalia-Roman-festival

Just think of Joyboy, some precursor of his, or maybe even Sun God Nika, as being the more heroic One Piece version of "Saturn" or fulfilling said role in the context of the One Piece landscape....the Foolish Lord made King for just one day.
    Last edited by Ghidorah Guy; September 16th, 2021 at 06:12 AM.

So far, "buying the world" is the most interesting theory I've heard so far and comes of as incredibly childish, like a kid thinking he can buy anything with a penny he found in the street.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

My only thing with that is while it fits Luffy I don't know if it fits Roger. Despite Rayleigh or WB or Oden thinking it was something of a child's dream.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I think Luffy wants to go to space

although I guess he would have reacted more when he heard Enel wanted to go to the moon

I have a feeling going to the moon will be Vegapunk's dream.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghidorah Guy View Post
    I have a feeling going to the moon will be Vegapunk's dream.
    That would be great. Anything to bring back Enel.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information