Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Default Re: 2016 APCT First Round Discussion Thread: There Can Be Only One!

Jeez, the first block has so many super-popular characters in it! I'm interested to see who will come out ahead.
    Hidden:

I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar

Goddamit. Teach is screwed.

Wait so the "first round" is acting like the old prelims? In that there's a multi-block system?

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Only one vote? that's brutal...
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    What is the deal with all those team-ups?
    I feel the same, it's not like there where too many nominations.

I mean, it seems that there where almost more characters added after than during the nominations...

Many of those team-up are ones that don't really do well just by themselves. Not all, but many do fall in that.
    Papaya, Conis, Sciccors, Eyelashes, Lucky Roo, Yasopp, ect.... They don't get much votes themselves, so they were added to those that they are associated with, which freed up some spots. And no its wasnt' more than actual noms

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Many of those team-up are ones that don't really do well just by themselves. Not all, but many do fall in that.
    Papaya, Conis, Sciccors, Eyelashes, Lucky Roo, Yasopp, ect.... They don't get much votes themselves, so they were added to those that they are associated with, which freed up some spots. And no its wasnt' more than actual noms
    Not that I really mind or that it really matters but:

If I remember well, there where about 145 nominations, so that means about 47 empty spots + I counted 73 chars added through team-ups = about 130 characters added after nominations so it's almost as much.

Also, I'd be surprised if many of those about 130 charcters made it past the first round, so what's the point of adding them anyways...

It's only my opinion but I don't feel that, for example pairing Paulie with Lulu or Duval with Motobaro helps them... in fact, personally it makes me less likely to vote for them...

Anyways cheers!

Vivi is a big enough character IMO, So is marco, shouldnt clark dell be part of a team? Who is clark dell? Is he a confirmed one piece character, im suspicious.

Ive decided to vote for single players over doubles whenever possible.

Hope Ace/Sabo/Luffy arent a trio
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Who is clark dell? Is he a confirmed one piece character, im suspicious.
    A certain reptile we all know and (arguably) love.
    Last edited by le crystal; May 14th, 2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: to answer the delicate question..

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Sparsebeard View Post
    Not that I really mind or that it really matters but:

If I remember well, there where about 145 nominations, so that means about 47 empty spots + I counted 73 chars added through team-ups = about 130 characters added after nominations so it's almost as much.

Also, I'd be surprised if many of those about 130 charcters made it past the first round, so what's the point of adding them anyways...

It's only my opinion but I don't feel that, for example pairing Paulie with Lulu or Duval with Motobaro helps them... in fact, personally it makes me less likely to vote for them...

Anyways cheers!
    You probably weren't here for past tournaments, but anything can happen in this tournament. There are times in this tournament a minor character in the series have beating major characters. Like for example Fred the Awesome Octopus Fishman defeated X. Drake in the first round of the tournament in the 2011 touranment. Another example is the infamous Kizaru Vs. Makino in the 2010 tournament with Makino winning the match. Just saying anything can happen in this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    You probably weren't here for past tournaments, but anything can happen in this tournament. There are times in this tournament a minor character in the series have beating major characters. Like for example Fred the Awesome Octopus Fishman defeated X. Drake in the first round of the tournament in the 2011 touranment. Another example is the infamous Kizaru Vs. Makino in the 2010 tournament with Makino winning the match. Just saying anything can happen in this tournament.
    Sure, but I'm pretty sure that those upsets were the result of campaings and will characters who weren't even nominated get campaings?

Also, teaming up doesn't seem to help that much, looking at 2014 the only team that made it past the first round was Moriah & Aphelandra. I only say that because if find it lackluster to vote for a team where there is only one character to care about...

Stelly is life

Stelly is love

Stelly will make One Piece great again

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Vivi is a big enough character IMO, So is marco, shouldnt clark dell be part of a team? Who is clark dell? Is he a confirmed one piece character, im suspicious.

Ive decided to vote for single players over doubles whenever possible.

Hope Ace/Sabo/Luffy arent a trio
    Clark Dell is a joke name that's stuck for a real character. It comes from a very bad mistranslated scan page that had Bartholomew Kuma, Sir Crocodile & Doflomingo on it (the scene where the three arrive at Marineford for the war), all three names were horribly mistranslated. I mean so bad its more of horrible renaming than a translation.

Crocodile =Clark Dell (Anyone remember the ones for Kuma and Doffy? )

So its been a joke to list him as Clark Dell, though in the actual tourney they usually use the proper name.

No, Lufy, Sabo & Ace won't be teamed up for the regular part of the tourney, each one has too much of a following for that. Like I said above, the teamup are of characters that have a history of not doing well by themselves.

Though now that you've mentioned it... its possible for a teamup for the filler matches aka the joke runs Maybe for best set of trios of the series? best brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Shuhan View Post
    Stelly is life

Stelly is love

Stelly will make One Piece great again
    Replace the "t" by an "m", that's the only thing this character represents.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Clark Dell is a joke name that's stuck for a real character. It comes from a very bad mistranslated scan page that had Bartholomew Kuma, Sir Crocodile & Doflomingo on it (the scene where the three arrive at Marineford for the war), all three names were horribly mistranslated.
    Clark or Clock Dell wasn't from the manga scans that gave us Bisoromi Bear, Tanjihado Loluflamingo, and Masuru D. Chocheh (I think those were German in origin), but from the Hong Kong fansubs that gifted us with things like the pirate crew of Roof, Sauron, Namay, Liar Bu, Sunkist, Joeb, and Nickel Bao.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    but from the Hong Kong fansubs that gifted us with things like the pirate crew of Roof, Sauron, Namay, Liar Bu, Sunkist, Joeb, and Nickel Bao.
    May I know who are they supposed to represent? I'll try to prevent from coughing out my organs.

Also
    Spoiler:

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    May I know who are they supposed to represent? I'll try to prevent from coughing out my organs.
    I guess that would be Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper and Nico Robin in this order.

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    A certain reptile we all know and (arguably) love.
    I for one loved to hate him.

No mistakes were made here. Xusasu is obviously just the old mesopotamian spelling of Jesus. Trust me.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Quote Originally Posted by Sparsebeard View Post
    Sure, but I'm pretty sure that those upsets were the result of campaings and will characters who weren't even nominated get campaings?
    We pulled characters that did well in past tournaments, or that were important enough in the actual manga that it felt weird to have them be absent, such as Kuro, Karoobi and Choo, Nojiko, Makino (who has a lot of tourney history of crazy upsets) Pell... SMOKER, Magellan... the extras picked weren't arbitrary.

The nomination process was allowed to run for a good long while so folks could be sure to get in a character they wanted, after that its about trying to represent as much of the series as possible and making sure some of the bigger potentially overlooked characters still made it in.

Also, teaming up doesn't seem to help that much, looking at 2014 the only team that made it past the first round was Moriah & Aphelandra. I only say that because if find it lackluster to vote for a team where there is only one character to care about...
    It generally doesn't, that's why we feel okay with pairing up weaker characters. They generally don't fare well on their own, so pairing them up doesn't really change their odds much, but it does allow for more characters to get in and for more varied campaigns. Especially in cases where characters are almost always together and mentioned in one breath anyway, like Jonny and Yosaku. So we're not for instance, ever going to pair up Crocodile, Luffy, Whitebeard, and Enel onto a team.

Most of them won't get past the first round, but its nice to have them have at least a shot at it.

And sometimes you end up with magic combos that just work really well, like Don Krieg and Absalom.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

You're making me choose between Cavendish and Gedatsu?

Goodbye.

Thread Information