+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 170 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 162 163 164 165 166 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 3398

Thread: Bleach Discussion █: Soul Society, but not!

Default Re: Bleach Discussion █: Soul Society, but not!

The nostalgia goggles are kicking in for a lot of people. That is why you have people actually expecting things from Burn the Witch.

I have not watched that video but i doubt he is saying it is good now.

Nah it's likely more of a rehash and better version of his older video and in this case he probably goes more in depth.
    It's fine and nice but it's obviously trying to capitalize on what PatTraverse said.
    So basically for anyone who has read Bleach, it's reaffirmation on why it sucks so people can feel good about themselves and basic common sense turned into a longass essay.

Last time he started on shaky grounds, now he supported with manga sales instead of TOC positions. And I think that this time went into detail of condom aizen, our best friend suspender aizen, ramen aizen and whdhsgsbbachasd or what’s his name. Last time I think was more nebulous. Tldw; bleach is still bad, the reasons are the same, ichigo cant carry a series, the battles had no stakes and no choreography, and everyone wins by pulling something bigger from their asses. But the video is shit because he praises the Gremmy vs Kempachi fight, you know, the one where the guy with the power of imagination imagines another of himself to throw a bigger meteor at kempachi, and loses because he can’t imagine himself being stronger than kempachi.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

He admits some of his opinions in the first video were based on knee-jerk reaction at the ending of the series plus not going in-depth in certain aspects on the business side of things (In that Kubo ended it rather than SJ canceling it, sales for the manga and DVD difference, etc).

In this go-around, he goes more into what the show's about and his opinions on some of its faults. Some of them are the same as his first video, but he explains a bit in more detail. He's jokey but respectful about it, admits to his blunders, and pretty much stated at the end you don't have to take his word at face value, he's just analyzing things. If you still like it, that's fine. For the most part, I do agree with most of his statements: There's not much growth to Ichigo's character, battles are more determined who can pull out the bigger gun than any real strategy, wonky narrative, too many characters, etc.

Granted I don't hate Bleach just disappointed how it finished, so I see where he's coming from.
    Last edited by Retro; September 26th, 2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Wait, is he doing an apology video for doing the definitive Bleach takedown video? Why? He was right the first time.
    Basically, he got some of things he used to describe the ending/decline of Bleach objectively wrong, and due to the original Bleach video being one of his most popular ones, his increased viewership since, and Bleachs' impending revival, he got conscientous about it and decided to reread the entire thing from scratch.

Though he still ultimately comes down on a lot of the same storytelling problems as before, he also spends more time going through what actually worked about the series in the first time.

...Is this gonna be one of those times where a whole bunch of discussion is made on a video where almost no one watches said video?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Bleach writing is pulled out of Kubo arse and like, no in depth analysis is necessary to point that out.
    Maybe the reason why it becomes shit needs to be analyzed but that's kind of obvious.
    Its fun too!

But seriously, tearing through Bleach on a weekly basis was my claim to fame on this forum back in the day, but also set the stage for me becoming more critical of fictional works in general. Spending time on why something absolutely didn't work gave me greater appreciation and understanding for stuff that did.

Bleach helped teach me the importance of pacing, tone, framing, clear motivations and clear stakes - both practical and emotional, setups and payoffs by being really bad at all of them

If you remove the dragon ball syndrome and flashiness out of Bleach , there's sadly usually very little left.
    I can say that for a few series in the past 'big3" generation too.

Bleach could do better in a lot of aspects but no matter how bad pacing, tone or the usual aspects can be, ultimately it boils down to a very, very weak purpose and him not having a story to tell.
    He is just very centered on making his characters look cool, have "cool" moments and want to come off as someone deeper than he really is.
    While it wasn't realising the flaws in Bleach that initially made me disliked it, it was the introduction to better written series such as Hunter X Hunter and Gintama that blows Bleach so out of the water revisiting it afterwards was no longer the same.

I always believe that once you get an understanding of an author as a person and the story he is capable of telling, there is little point in zooming in on details and aspects of the story because it becomes very clear what the end product will be.
    Of course I realize I'm a bit arrogant making that statement as if reading someone's life work means I'm capable of thoroughly understanding someone

But anyway, the older Naruto and Bleach threads was a mine for comedy gold and I used to always come back here as a kid and was a huge fan of the comedy-criticism by the older members.

So, I'm reading part 7 of Jojo, only up to chapter 40 no spoilers beyond that. I won't spoil for anyone not at Steel Ball Run, but I noticed that the characters all collecting the pieces of a certain corpse is way to close to the Soul King from Bleach.
    Kubology: The blind and unthinking acceptance of whatever Kubo writes.

Except we got no information or reason why Soul King was dismembered and crystallized, why the other is a corpse, you know. A regular corpse in not that hard to dismember.

Nurahiyon no Mago did the "Body Parts turned into People" element better.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Except we got no information or reason why Soul King was dismembered and crystallized, why the other is a corpse, you know. A regular corpse in not that hard to dismember.
    i know. Kubo introduces an element to the story and doesn't bother to elaborate on it. Crazy right? Still not sure what his "plan" for the SK was even supposed to be. Or why Bach was his "son". It honestly just felt like Kubo was throwing every possible idea he had into the story without any thought on whether or not it conflicted with anything else.

It seems like Bleach will get a new special chapter of 73 pages for its 20th Anniversary in Shonen Jump#36/37.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Any excitement over that is tempered by memories of what Bleach was by the time it ended.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Any excitement over that is tempered by memories of what Bleach was by the time it ended.
    Unless you're the 300 or so fans that think that Kubo got screwed to the wall by his publisher.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I think I saw some of those 300 on r/manga today.

Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    It seems like Bleach will get a new special chapter of 73 pages for its 20th Anniversary in Shonen Jump#36/37.
    That's great to hear! Really looking forward to it!

That's actually exactly the reason why I'm excited. There's no other series hilariously as Bleach was. I just hope Chair makes a return. That aside who wants to bet that the humor will be characters randomly shouting at each other?

Oh god, really? that's terrifying. I don't trust kubo to deliver on anything. It's just gonna be vapid nonsense that explains very little.

73 pages? Kubo coming back to bless the manga world. He's so humble

Wait for it to be a major portion of it to be related to Burn the Witch just so he can cash on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7lH4bFc9Rs

Gonna have to check out more of his videos. He doesn't seem like one of the crazy Kubo fans, more open to accepting there were a lot of missteps and mistakes with Bleach. Though i disagree with his viewpoint on 'What Went Wrong With the Sternritter'. Them having "fraccions", as it were, probably wouldn't have fixed them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information