+ Reply to Thread
Page 142 of 153 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 152 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 3049

Thread: Bleach Discussion █: Soul Society, but not!

Default Re: Bleach Discussion █: Ulquiorra goes to Kingdom Hearts

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    I'll fight you on this one.
    That fight was awesome, it was the climax of all those years Kubo spent playing around with typography on the chapter titles and one of the most visually interesting figths in years, even if part of it was because the page had much more ink than usually.
    For each their own I guess.
    For me the fight turned into a mess once Ichibei released his Shikai.

This dude paints an interesting view on the core themes of Bleach (first 50 chapters) and how is flushed away on soul society, all while disrespectig Dragon Ball because "it's not deep enough".

I kind of believe it, not only because it makes sense (Except his constant disrespect at Dragon Ball), but because the whole stupid deal with the "aspects of death" of the Espadas. Like Kubo kind of tought about these characters in interesting ways, but in the end he didn't knew how to make them stand out, or be interesting without "being cool". Kinda like Oda's namibody problem, that "this is the atractive lady" and so every lady, who is attractive, is like this.

It didn't had to be over by soul society, if the Ichigo group was about a healthy way of moving on with grief, then the other shinigamis could have presented a "death doesn't matter because we are beyond it" aproach, while the Arrancar being some more coherent form of grieving, and so forth.

By the time that Ichigo kills the menos grande, he still had Grand Fisher to take care, smarter, trickier hollows can show up, the whole point of "big swords != big power" was not yet made, but it wasn't a big jump of logic.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

Man. That sounds kinda interesting. But I'm so not up to listening to someone who trashes on Dragon Ball because it doesn't bother to rehash basic life lessons for them :/. If you (or anyone else who watched the video) don't mind summarising, what are the main themes of Bleach supposed to be? I don't really recall early Bleach seeming to be brimming with thematic consistency. Tonal consistency sure, maybe. Could be wrong though.

Funnily enough when I was reading through lists of old Bleach volumes for that Kubo quote I cribbed earlier it was funny just how fun some of the early volume titles were. Maybe he kept naming the volumes in an interesting way throughout (I didn't really bother to check), but something like "Quincy Archer Hates You" just doesn't sound like something that would fit with post-Aizen, desperately self-serious Bleach.
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Escentially:

Hollows represent people who are stuck with grief, literally.
    Ichigo and his friends are people who suffer from grief, but learn from it and move on. The power of frienship helps overcome the pain brought by a lost loved one (Ichigo's mom, Orihime's brother, Chad's abuelo, Ishida's grandpa and Rukia's Kaien and sister)

He doesn't stick it to Dragon Ball too much, but he does it like thrice, and centers the issue in "power inflation", where he should have said "stakes inflation".
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Oh right. I remember all that now. Well more power to those who read it for that stuff I guess. I honestly can't recall giving two shits about it either way. But then that's the usual problem of trying to "diagnose" a problem using introspection; you don't really have a way of knowing whether the flaws you've pointed out are universal, or unique to how you in particular read the series. I honestly can't imagine caring more about the Arrancar arc if it had kept the "people dealing with grief" theme alongside the terrible pacing, nonsensical plotting, ridiculous power scaling and "Aizen, the puppet master of Ichigo's destiny" nonsense. Conversely, I can readily imagine enjoying the arc if the latter points had been fixed while the theme remained in the dumpster.

Oh good. Made the mistake of trying to watch some of it.
    Some people think *this*.
    However, I think *that*.
    Might that be because others are evaluating the quality of Bleach in a different way? Are defining what made Bleach interesting in a different way?
    Nope. Surely it is because some "law" of narrative was violated.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Well, the interesting part is that he caught something that Kubo did back when he cared about it, and it made sense, that he sacrificed the theme first, before killing pacing, logic, fun and common sense.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Yeah that's fair enough. I'll agree that I would've preferred to read the Bleach where Kubo tried to stick with a given theme compared to the one we got, I would've just preferred, given the option to only pick one, if he'd stuck with the early tone. Sorry if I came across as kinda dickish about the video you shared.

No problem, I just miss talking about Bleach, and was taking the time to talk about something positive about it.

Speaking of a positive spin on shit: Sword Art Online Abridged. It's pretty good.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Yeah that's understandable. I wonder if some sort of early Bleach group re-read could be arranged...

Anyway, oh crap! I'd forgotten about SAO:Abridged for ages! I need to go check it out. Thanks for the reminder

Random question: If you could erase 6 divisions of the Gotei 13, which one of them would it be?

Operational sense, I'd leave only: 1, 2, 4, 11, 12 and up the magic corps as a proper division. These were the ones whose functions were actually revealed. If pressed I'd guess captain grabass one, the 10? Merge everyone into those.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The Arrancar arc proved that the Shinigami are trash at their jobs. It takes a crazy amount of souls to make 1 Arrancar and there was oodles of them.

Kubo doesn't know math or scale.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Kubo doesn't know math or scale.
    "Ichigo broke through a million years of Soul Society rigidity!"
    -Rukia

Quote Originally Posted by lr-hr-rh View Post
    Oh right. I remember all that now. Well more power to those who read it for that stuff I guess.
    He just criticizes DB once in the whole video (although he mentions it another two times) and it is a perfectly fair critique... pointing out a flaw is not "disrespect".

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    The Arrancar arc proved that the Shinigami are trash at their jobs. It takes a crazy amount of souls to make 1 Arrancar and there was oodles of them.
    Daz actually did the math too.
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t...=1#post2167130

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Oh yeah. Man that's insane. They definitely would win most incompetent at their jobs.

Ok...30 billion souls. Can we even say that the shinigami did any work at all?

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Ok...30 billion souls. Can we even say that the shinigami did any work at all?
    We only saw like 2 people get their souls cleansed. And we typically saw any Shinigami drunk, sexually harassing people or torturing people. Or just filling out paperwork...And a dash of purging.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    He just criticizes DB once in the whole video (although he mentions it another two times) and it is a perfectly fair critique... pointing out a flaw is not "disrespect".
    Eh. I tried watching the video and found enough to dislike in the first minute before even getting to where he mentions DB so I'm good either way.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Hahahaha I remember that post way back when. Kubo-math needs to be its own tier of bath math, jesus.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information