+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Characters Will Die Between Now and the End of the Series?

Default Re: Which Characters Will Die Between Now and the End of the Series?

It seems I am the only one that thinks that Kuzan will die.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ugly View Post
    It seems I am the only one that thinks that Kuzan will die.
    I see him as the new Fleet Admiral once Akainu falls.

Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post
    If Mihawk hadn't taught Zoro over the time skip, I'd certainly agree with you. However, because Zoro now has a positive personal relationship with Mihawk, I feel that the stakes in a possible battle between the two have been soured: what was once a potential 'beat the best' trope has turned into a 'overcome your master' trope. There just isn't as much tension in them fighting as there was before Mihawk taught Zoro. As of now, a fight between the two would be a very aggressive 'sparring session' at best. If Mihawk hadn't taught Zoro, this would be a nonissue, but, he did, and it is an issue.

Furthermore, when would the battle occur? The prime moments for a confrontation between Zoro and Mihawk is right before or during the final war, but when you think about it, both of those options are unlikely. Mihawk, without a doubt, if he is not dead at that point, that is, join the Straw hats and their allies against the World Government. This would prevent Mihawk from fighting Zoro both before and during the war: Mihawk and Zoro wouldn't have an all-out fight and injure themselves right before a fight against a greater enemy. And, as I already mentioned, Zoro and Mihawk will be allies in the final war: they will not be fighting each other. There is also an even more unlikely scenario: Mihawk fighting Zoro after the climax. Zoro is not becoming the World Strongest Swordsman after Luffy becomes Pirate King. Otherwise, Mihawk's word to Luffy during the Baratie Arc, that becoming Pirate King is a far harder road than becoming the WSS, wouldn't ring true and as such, this too, is not an option. The fact of the matter is: there just isn't a good time for Zoro to even fight Mihawk. That is where Shiliew comes in.

Zoro versus Shiliew wouldn't have these barriers that prevent or hinder Zoro versus Mihawk as it is now. Shiliew has no positive emotional background with Zoro and Shiliew will definitely be a foe for Zoro in the finale. Add in that Mihawk is known to be Shank's buddy and is likely to help out Shanks in the inevitable Red Hairs versus Blackbeard showdown, there is even a very feasible way to facilitate Shiliew taking down Mihawk, as Blackbeard takes down Shanks, and become Zoro's final opponent. If Shiliew does take down Mihawk, he will not only be declared World Strongest Swordsman, but also create a negative personal connection with Zoro, and help build up to the final showdown between the two. I'm not saying Mihawk versus Zoro is impossible, however, given what I mentioned above, I feel that it has now become unlikely, to a degree.
    Those barriers are meaningless though. Luffy has no problem in wanting to take down Shanks, for example. Overcoming the master is a common trope that still gets played to this day.

I have a hard time believing either Zoro or Mihawk would be held back due to a personal relationship. In fact, I would argue it would make the duel even better, as the best fights in the series tend to involve personal relationships. Let's not pretend that's an issue. Shanks and Mihawk are buddies, but that didn't prevent them from having duels in the past. Same for Roger and Garp/Whitebeard.

All those details you mention are just speculation. How do you know, for example, that Zoro will not beat Mihawk before the final confrontation with Blackbeard? We have no idea on when Zoro will become the World's Greatest Swordsman. The scenario you propose has a lot of assumptions to it.
    Last edited by King Cannon; March 15th, 2016 at 02:45 PM.

Don Chinjao might not survive until the end of the series, his age seems to affect him more than Garp or Rayleigh. Any of supernovae is a good candidate, too. I can see them killing each other or at least one of them dying during the end game.
    BB killing Shanks seems like a very generic move, I don't think the later is simply dying after some big fight. We don't even know how BB put the scars on Shanks' face in the first place, so it's difficult to predict what their fight is going to look like. At the moment BB is more interested in the Revos anyway and unless said interest is a red hering, taking away the life of Luffy's role model after he already hurt or possibly killed his father, is, literally, an overkill.

Shanks
    Mihawk
    and Blackbeard are the only ones I can realistically see kicking the bucket.

But I kinda want Akainu gone tbh lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    All the Emperors need to die in order to progress the plot. They hold too much power and influence. They're also considered a major obstacle for the new age of piracy (a major plot point) exactly because of said power and influence. As Law explained in chapter 699, they pretty much prevent freedom in the New World.

So yeah, if I were to rank the dying potential, I would put the 4 Emperors up there: Shanks, Teach, Linlin and Kaidou.

Doesn't help that one ofthem literally wants to die, but can't. That means the only development he can get from that point is, well, dying.

Whitebeard himself died for similar reasons.
    WB died while trying to save one of his crewmates. That's it. He wouldn't hinder Luffy's adventure aside from Luffy possibly challanging him. Plot-wise, the purpose of his death was the rise of BB. His death signified the end of an era because he was at the absolute peak of the pirate world after Roger's death, even if he was called an emperor just like the other three, and it was first big defeat since Roger's death after two decades of stalemate. This current era is all about chaos, it won't have the same impact.

Just because Kaido wanted to die, it means his death wish has to be fulfilled? what is this, some kind of nakama ultimate dream? good guys get their dreams fulfilled, the bad guys have theirs crushed. Just beat that guy and banish him from Wano.. the domino pieces will fall on their own. If they are captured by the marines, there won't be anyone stronger watching over the Beast Pirates to try to break them out, like with Doffy. They'll be pretty much on their own, and the crews under them will be scattered to do as they please.

There's absolutely no necessity for anyone to die just to be defeated. Whenever the strawhats defeated some crew, this crew immediately lost whatever influence they had for some reason or another, and became a non-threat even if they weren't captured (and even if they returned for more interaction with the strawhats). The emperors just have more power and more influence, it only means the fights against them will be tougher.
    For example Lucci lost and with it the CP9 were disbanded. Now he returned as part of CP0, an arguably more influential agency than CP9, but it's not like we're going to have another Luffy vs. Lucci.

You're saying this just because the emperors seem too strong to you. It only means Oda did a good job creating a hype for them.
    Last edited by mbaruh; March 15th, 2016 at 05:38 PM.

All the Emperors need to die in order to progress the plot. They hold too much power and influence. They're also considered a major obstacle for the new age of piracy (a major plot point) exactly because of said power and influence. As Law explained in chapter 699, they pretty much prevent freedom in the New World.

So yeah, if I were to rank the dying potential, I would put the 4 Emperors up there: Shanks, Teach, Linlin and Kaidou.

Doesn't help that one ofthem literally wants to die, but can't. That means the only development he can get from that point is, well, dying.

Whitebeard himself died for similar reasons.
    big mom has a chance of living if the card lola gave her is hers plus her being a female however if she fights kaido she will most likely die.

Shanks and most of his crew are extremely dead.

Quote Originally Posted by mbaruh View Post
    WB died while trying to save one of his crewmates. That's it. He wouldn't hinder Luffy's adventure aside from Luffy possibly challanging him. Plot-wise, the purpose of his death was the rise of BB. His death signified the end of an era because he was at the absolute peak of the pirate world after Roger's death, even if he was called an emperor just like the other three, and it was first big defeat since Roger's death after two decades of stalemate. This current era is all about chaos, it won't have the same impact.

Just because Kaido wanted to die, it means his death wish has to be fulfilled? what is this, some kind of nakama ultimate dream? good guys get their dreams fulfilled, the bad guys have theirs crushed. Just beat that guy and banish him from Wano.. the domino pieces will fall on their own. If they are captured by the marines, there won't be anyone stronger watching over the Beast Pirates to try to break them out, like with Doffy. They'll be pretty much on their own, and the crews under them will be scattered to do as they please.

There's absolutely no necessity for anyone to die just to be defeated. Whenever the strawhats defeated some crew, this crew immediately lost whatever influence they had for some reason or another, and became a non-threat even if they weren't captured (and even if they returned for more interaction with the strawhats). The emperors just have more power and more influence, it only means the fights against them will be tougher.
    For example Lucci lost and with it the CP9 were disbanded. Now he returned as part of CP0, an arguably more influential agency than CP9, but it's not like we're going to have another Luffy vs. Lucci.

You're saying this just because the emperors seem too strong to you. It only means Oda did a good job creating a hype for them.
    Kaidou has lost several times, but nothing ever detained him for good. If he doesn't die, then what changes? He literally needs to die in order for anything new to happen. This is a massive death flag as it's been established that a simple defeat does not stop this guy and that he is pretty much immune to capturing.

Every Emperor has several death flags associated to them: Whitebeard, before the war, was suffering from sickness, Shanks is the mentor figure, Kaidou has already been challenging death for a long while, Linlin has connections that makes her too dangerous to keep around ("Oh gee, you defeated me. Guess I'll just send people to kill your family all the way back in East Blue"). Teach has a different atittude in comparison to other members of the Will of D., so it's definitely probable that we will see him die without a smile on his face.

Add the fact that their influence is toxic to the concept of piracy freedom and you will see that there's just no way around it. People don't just lose influence upon defeat. We saw this just last arc, when a bunch of rogues allied together to go after Luffy after he defeated Doula Mongo. Doula also had people trying to free him.

Also, never mind that if an Emperor were captured, they would be executed immediately. We are not talking about nobodies here. The WG is dying to execute those people.
    Last edited by King Cannon; March 15th, 2016 at 06:34 PM.

Law seems like a lock. Shanks is a maybe. Kaidou is the most interesting case, but I guess we need to know more about his character to decide. He almost seems to be set up to be the type of guy who needs to be killed to be stopped, since he's already suffered every other type of defeat, but I'm sure Oda can think of another way to send him off.

Kaidou has lost several times, but nothing ever detained him for good. If he doesn't die, then what changes? He literally needs to die in order for anything new to happen. This is a massive death flag as it's been established that a simple defeat does not stop this guy and that he is pretty much immune to capturing.

Every Emperor has several death flags associated to them: Whitebeard, before the war, was suffering from sickness, Shanks is the mentor figure, Kaidou has already been challenging death for a long while, Linlin has connections that makes her too dangerous to keep around ("Oh gee, you defeated me. Guess I'll just send people to kill your family all the way back in East Blue"). Teach has a different atittude in comparison to other members of the Will of D., so it's definitely probable that we will see him die without a smile on his face.

Add the fact that their influence is toxic to the concept of piracy freedom and you will see that there's just no way around it. People don't just lose influence upon defeat. We saw this just last arc, when a bunch of rogues allied together to go after Luffy after he defeated Doula Mongo. Doula also had people trying to free him.

Also, never mind that if an Emperor were captured, they would be executed immediately. We are not talking about nobodies here. The WG is dying to execute those people.
    You're thinking about a simple defeat. "Oh he won this one, but I'll get him next time". But a defeat by Luffy is anything but simple, and always involves circumstances which prevent the antagonist from coming back as an antagonist. For example, Croc was defeated and then it was set up so that he would help Luffy in ID. If Enel came back after the strawhats left, the Skypians would be pretty much screwed, but he was employing his plan to go to the moon right when the strawhats got there, so after his defeat he just escaped to space.
    In a hypothetical situation where Luffy goes against BM, we could have a plot-line where he severs in some way her connections to the Vinsmokes (who are probably responsible for the East Blue assassinations).
    Considering Kaido can't be harmed even when he wants to, we have no idea under what circumstances and what it took to defeat / capture him. It could very well be that he was never actually physically overpowered, and that Luffy will find a way to do so like he found a way to beat Croc.

It's not like I completely disagree with you, and I could totally see him dying in any other manga, but saying "I don't like you so I'll murder you" seems too un-shounen-like, and more importantly too un-Luffy-like. What the marines will do is a different matter, and doesn't get in the way of my claim that you don't have to kill an emperor to completely crush him.

Kaidou won't die, Luffy will convince him to want to live.

You're thinking about a simple defeat. "Oh he won this one, but I'll get him next time". But a defeat by Luffy is anything but simple, and always involves circumstances which prevent the antagonist from coming back as an antagonist. For example, Croc was defeated and then it was set up so that he would help Luffy in ID. If Enel came back after the strawhats left, the Skypians would be pretty much screwed, but he was employing his plan to go to the moon right when the strawhats got there, so after his defeat he just escaped to space.
    In a hypothetical situation where Luffy goes against BM, we could have a plot-line where he severs in some way her connections to the Vinsmokes (who are probably responsible for the East Blue assassinations).
    Considering Kaido can't be harmed even when he wants to, we have no idea under what circumstances and what it took to defeat / capture him. It could very well be that he was never actually physically overpowered, and that Luffy will find a way to do so like he found a way to beat Croc.

It's not like I completely disagree with you, and I could totally see him dying in any other manga, but saying "I don't like you so I'll murder you" seems too un-shounen-like, and more importantly too un-Luffy-like. What the marines will do is a different matter, and doesn't get in the way of my claim that you don't have to kill an emperor to completely crush him.
    I'm not talking about Luffy killing Kaidou. There are several ways for Kaidou to die that doesn't involve a beatdown from Luffy.
    Last edited by King Cannon; March 15th, 2016 at 07:59 PM.

I'm not talking about Luffy killing Kaidou. There are several ways for Kaidou to die that doesn't involve a beatdown from Luffy.
    If he's defeated and no longer poses a threat to Luffy or those around him, and he's not captured by the marines, I don't see why he would die. It's not like the marines can execute him, I'm sure they tried.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorkov View Post
    Kaidou won't die, Luffy will convince him to want to live.
    Insert crying Kaido scene. "I WADDA LIBVE"
    Kaido for nakama.

If he's defeated and no longer poses a threat to Luffy or those around him, and he's not captured by the marines, I don't see why he would die. It's not like the marines can execute him, I'm sure they tried.
    The thing is that the narration claims that "no one could kill Kaidou". That's the death flag of death flags as it literally says "nope, this is impossible. No one can do this", which is a statement just waiting to be subverted, as One Piece often does.

It's like the usual "oh, no one can defeat this man", and then it happens.

The thing is that the narration claims that "no one could kill Kaidou". That's the death flag of death flags as it literally says "nope, this is impossible. No one can do this", which is a statement just waiting to be subverted, as One Piece often does.
    But then we go back to the idea of Luffy killing Kaido.

But then we go back to the idea of Luffy killing Kaido.
    Again, who says Luffy has to kill Kaidou?

Kaidou could be killed by someone else after being weakened by Luffy. Or maybe he manages to find himself in a situation where living is impossible. There are many ways.

It could be like how Zephyr died in Film Z.

Again, who says Luffy has to kill Kaidou?

Kaidou could be killed by someone else. Or maybe he manages to find himself in a situation where living is impossible. There are many ways.
    But it says that no one can kill him. Who else is qualified to achieve this impossible feat other than our very own protagonist, if anyone? are you saying that this supposedly mega-death flag was raised just so this seemingly impossible task would be fulfilled by a side character, when our very own Luffy is going to fight him anyway?

But it says that no one can kill him. Who else is qualified to achieve this impossible feat other than our very own protagonist, if anyone? are you saying that this supposedly mega-death flag was raised just so this seemingly impossible task would be fulfilled by a side character, when our very own Luffy is going to fight him anyway?
    Again, it could be like Zephyr.

Luffy could very well be the indirect responsible for his death. Like I said, there are many ways.

However, the story has already made it clear that losing doesn't really stop him. He has been captured before, he has been tortured before, but he still keeps going. If he doesn't geet killed, then what would be stopping him from starting all over again?
    Last edited by King Cannon; March 15th, 2016 at 08:20 PM.

Again, it could be like Zephyr.

Luffy could very well be the indirect responsible for his death. Like I said, there are many ways.

However, the story has already made it clear that losing doesn't really stop him.
    That's pretty underwhelming when you give that statement such significance.
    Again, we have no idea how it is that he was "defeated", and we also don't know the exact circumstances which will lead to his defeat by Luffy. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    We hogged this thread for ourselves for quite enough I think.
    Good talk.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information