Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: One Piece is NOT based on The Mysterious Cities of Gold

  1. #1

    Default One Piece is NOT based on The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Not sure if exists or not. But I haven't heard of it so forgive me if posted already.

    I am creating this thread for edd war d. new gate since he can't being a newbie. He states that the story template for One Piece is based on a 1982 cartoon series called "The Mysterious Cities of Gold". I believe there was a thread for "Vicky the Viking", right? It's a good read, watch, and listen.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicky_the_Viking
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...Cities_of_Gold
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King%27s_Fifth
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olmec

    Spoiler:

    Quote Originally Posted by edd war d. new gate View Post
    Certainly it deserves its own thread, but I cannot create a new thread, since I am a Newbie here.
    If somebody else wants to announce that probably the whole One Piece storyline is foreshadowed in a series from 1982 it would be awesome.
    The series is called "The Mysterious Cities of Gold".

    Oda practically copied Nico Robin and all the other stuff from it.
    It also gives the idea for the intersection between four places to find the Golden City (which is equal to Raftel there, since it had only one season for 20 years).

    If you do not want to watch its 39 episodes, you might feel free to watch the summarizing video that I recently uploaded:
    Quote Originally Posted by edd war d. new gate View Post
    The Mysterious Cities of Gold was inspired by the novel "The King's Fifth". There were two characters introduced named Roa and Zuņiga (the Zou-elephant is named "Zunisha") - an initially comedy duo who are Mendoza's cronies. They also have similar names to the name of the ship in the book, the Santa Pedro.

    Both are not brave at all and the smaller, bigger one (Sancho) is stuttering. In the last village they visit they secretly break out of their chamber as they are suspected to be dangerous Spaniards unlike the children. Furthermore they fight for their first time to help Mendoza who gets clubbed by two guards.
    --

    The Jaguar-warriors are giants that pursue the crew the first time when they enter their territory. They use heavy iron arrows and seem to be pretty belligerent. They seem to resemble a Northern species (Vikings, of course) and to protect that stone stature of Big Mom. Their leader is the red bearded one. They meet him again, as he suffers from dehydration. He respects Esteban, who is the only one who gives him some of his water. His physical strength is immense as he easily pushes Sancho and Pedro aside.
    --

    The Lucci-warrior rescues Esteban, Zia and Tao from the Spaniards as they break out from that prison after they entered the New World. He seems to be some kind of officer in his tribe. I do not remember his name, but he was firstly shown with a companion.
    --

    Both Zou and Skypiea look like the Incan/ Mayans Cities in TMCOG. Zia's father said they have to intersect the diagonals between the "three ruined cities and the mountain of the burnin shield". Zou is now after Jack's attack a ruined city, too. Remember, that on the moon Enel discovered such an Incan/ Mayan (ruined) city, too.
    --

    I still believe, that the Olmecs are loosely inspiring for the Tenryuubito.
    I highly recommend to watch the 39 episodes!
    Last edited by BeariousJones; March 9th, 2016 at 02:34 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    You know, I could also say it is based on Treasure Island. They even have a Silver.

  3. #3

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by BeariousJones View Post
    Not sure if exists or not. But I haven't heard of it so forgive me if posted already.

    I am creating this thread for edd war d. new gate since he can't being a newbie. He states that the story template for One Piece is based on a 1982 cartoon series called "The Mysterious Cities of Gold". I believe there was a thread for "Vicky the Viking", right? It's a good read, watch, and listen.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicky_the_Viking
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...Cities_of_Gold
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olmec

    Spoiler:




    A fuck ton of what's mentioned in there is not created by that series at all.
    The design of Meso-American things is....get this...from Meso-American things. Not an 80's cartoon series.
    A search for a gold city was not made by the series...that's the real life legend of El Dorado.
    The use of term New World is a real life thing referring to this day in some uses, to the Western Hemisphere. Versus the Old World of Eurasia and Africa.
    Enel discovered vague nondescript ruins with robots, and Zou has had architecture clearly based off the ancient middle east, not Meso-America.

  4. #4

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Yeah I was going to say a lot of whats pointed out all comes from real life inspiration.

    And story points like Nico Robin being the sole survivor of some culture, who knows outrageous information and the government is trying to silence/control that knowledge isn't unique to One Piece, Mysterious Cities of Gold, or anything else for that matter.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  5. #5

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    One piece takes stuff from many sources not just one such as pirate names and building designs.

  6. #6
    ウサギ joekido the Second's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, my kind of place to be

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    One Piece is meant to be multi-cultural and have many real world elements in it
    Many fictional series intend to do that.
    Currently writing a book

    https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

  7. #7

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Thanks for your efforts @BeariousJones!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A fuck ton of what's mentioned in there is not created by that series at all.
    The design of Meso-American things is....get this...from Meso-American things. Not an 80's cartoon series.
    A search for a gold city was not made by the series...that's the real life legend of El Dorado.
    The use of term New World is a real life thing referring to this day in some uses, to the Western Hemisphere. Versus the Old World of Eurasia and Africa.
    Enel discovered vague nondescript ruins with robots, and Zou has had architecture clearly based off the ancient middle east, not Meso-America.
    What kind of argument is "lots of [...] comes from real inspiration"?!
    Basically everything comes from real life inspiration. But the basic story line of One Piece comes from the real life inspiration "The Mysterious Cities of Gold" (which was inspired by the King's Fifth (which was inspired by the Incan/ Mayan culture (which was inspired by natural circumstances in SA (which was inspired by flora and fauna (which was inspired by the existence of the earth)))).

    Be sure to watch the series! It cannot be overseen what Oda did there. Similarities about terms like "The New World", "giant turtles and big lizards" or even "El Dorado" (which is already mentioned in the Intro but never during the 39 episodes) are not the point. They themselves are meaningless.
    But in the light of other things they get quite a meaning, too.

    Zia and Zia's story is basically copied. The poneglyphs are just summed up by that golden cube and the Quipus. The Going Merry and the Thousand Sunny are inspired by the Esperanza and the Solaris. Big Mom having the Devil Fruit of the Earth Goddess Pachamama and Kaido having the mythical Zoan devil fruit of "The Winged Sperpent" are already foreshadowed.

    I even could tell loosely how they would find Raftel before Chapters 817/818 were released.
    And if Oda would use the story line for the rest of One Piece, I - and now also you - know what the "One Piece" will be.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    One Piece is meant to be multi-cultural and have many real world elements in it
    Many fictional series intend to do that.
    Therefore it is said to be a template, not a 1:1 copy.
    Last edited by edd war d. new gate; March 9th, 2016 at 12:10 AM.

  8. #8
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Well, it wouldn't be weird if Oda borrowed some stuff from this. It's not like he hasn't done it before. I'm not that familiar enough with the material here and what the inspiration for it was, so I can't say, but I doubt it will all be the same just because some plot points were overlapping so far.

    In before hell breaks loose in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  9. #9

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    I'm not that familiar enough with the material here and what the inspiration for it was, so I can't say, but I doubt it will all be the same just because some plot points were overlapping so far.
    I cannot say it often enough - watch these 39 episodes..~ (;
    Of course, it is not the same. But things like the ...
    - Knock Up Stream,
    - the Klabautermann,
    - both ships of the Straw Hats,
    - Big Mom,
    - Kaido,
    - the National Treasure of Marie Jois,
    - Nico Robin,
    - Poneglyphs,
    - the Road Poneglyphs to find Raftel
    - and even One Piece are actually foreshadowed.

    Edit:
    These are only a few examples - you really should watch the whole 39 episodes to understand.
    Last edited by edd war d. new gate; March 9th, 2016 at 05:22 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by edd war d. new gate View Post
    - the Klabautermann
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klabautermann

    I can't say for sure, but it's starting to look more and more like you're trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Most everything I'm seeing so far are common literary devices that go back to times of antiquity.

    This is a lot like someone trying to say any new series that uses ninjas or nine-tailed foxes is copying Naruto. It seems like you've got a serious case of the "Simpsons did it."
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; March 10th, 2016 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Derpy grammar correction

  11. #11
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Maybe it would be better to reserve the judgment before seeing the actual thing?

    So far, it's just hearsay but even if I'd like to watch the suggested material and see for myself, I'm not sure if I have the time for it. So I'm in a dilemma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  12. #12

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I can't say for sure, but it's starting to look more and more like you're trying to squeeze blood from a stone.
    I think you also did not get the point.
    Of course, it is not about the Klabautermann. This is about an accumulation of small and big references. The Klabautermann is only one small reference out of hundreds.
    Actually, the Klabautermann was not even shown in the Mysterious Cities of Gold, but a corposant which Oda also has drawn when he presented Enel on that space ship of the space pirates.

    But still - this was totally meaningless, if there weren't all the other hundreds hints of being a template for One Piece. Especially Nico Robin was clearly inspired by this very season.
    You should watch the series before starting to judge if it was fitting or not.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Maybe it would be better to reserve the judgment before seeing the actual thing?

    So far, it's just hearsay but even if I'd like to watch the suggested material and see for myself, I'm not sure if I have the time for it. So I'm in a dilemma.
    You are the hero the idea deserves. Thank you!

  13. #13

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by edd war d. new gate View Post
    What kind of argument is "lots of [...] comes from real inspiration"?!
    It's an argument you need to hear if you think half of that is original to that cartoon.
    Basically everything comes from real life inspiration. But the basic story line of One Piece comes from the real life inspiration "The Mysterious Cities of Gold" (which was inspired by the King's Fifth (which was inspired by the Incan/ Mayan culture (which was inspired by natural circumstances in SA (which was inspired by flora and fauna (which was inspired by the existence of the earth)))).
    You seem to think that the middle man has to exist here for some reason. It does not.
    Also Inca's are not Meso-American. You're meaning to say "Aztec/Mayan".
    Be sure to watch the series! It cannot be overseen what Oda did there.
    I don't have time to watch an entire TV series for a small internet debate. You need to make your argument better or maybe realize you don't have one.
    Similarities about terms like "The New World","giant turtles and big lizards" or even "El Dorado" (which is already mentioned in the Intro but never during the 39 episodes) are not the point. They themselves are meaningless.
    But in the light of other things they get quite a meaning, too.
    Three of the most generic age of exploration and adventure story tropes don't gain meaning ever. Particulary the New World one which is not even a trope but a literal proper term still used to refer to the Americas to this day. It's even used in taxonomy for crying out loud.
    Zia and Zia's story is basically copied.
    I think I'd get dizzy thinking about how many "mysterious girl with big secrets that clings to our hero" there are in anime alone.
    The poneglyphs are just summed up by that golden cube and the Quipus.
    Or really dozens of adventure stories involving some sort of archaeological secrets with old languages.
    Including real life where you have people trying to figure out old dead scripts to learn more about history and tombs and such.
    The Going Merry and the Thousand Sunny are inspired by the Esperanza and the Solaris.
    So the Thousand Sunny is inspired by a solar powered ship how? Is it because it's a vehicle upgrade? Have you ever played a JRPG in your entire life?

    Big Mom having the Devil Fruit of the Earth Goddess Pachamama and Kaido having the mythical Zoan devil fruit of "The Winged Sperpent" are already foreshadowed.
    What powers are those? Because looking up the mythical figures Pachamama would have earthquake powers. So um...no.

    I even could tell loosely how they would find Raftel before Chapters 817/818 were released.
    Loosely most people could tell something would exist similar to that.

    And if Oda would use the story line for the rest of One Piece, I - and now also you - know what the "One Piece" will be.
    Well perfect then. Spoil me right now as to the answer.

  14. #14
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    At least he made an argument after watching something. You can provide counter arguments, but you can't really do the job right if you haven't watched it as well.

    Can someone watch this so I don't have to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  15. #15

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    You need to make your argument better or maybe realize you don't have one.
    I uploaded a summarizing video of ~32 minutes, yesterday. That should be argument enough so far.
    Again: First watch, then judge.
    Therefore I won't defer to your other points, since it was becoming ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Spoil me right now as to the answer.
    As it was of interest by others, who did not understand the - more or less confusing - ending of The Mysterious Cities of Gold, I will answer this question as I did few hours ago on Youtube (- edited):

    The One Piece in the story aka "the big treasure" is the device that was stolen at the very end of the Olmec-servant of Menetor [= aliens/ possibly leading Tenryuubito] from the [first] Golden City [= Raftel]. The wanted to use it to let their species live eternally.
    Without Tao's Jar it was incomplete, unstable and finally was stabilized (by Esteban's [= Luffy] father in a suicide mission) before it could destroy the whole world. It bears the power of the "inner sun".
    Once the two old kingdoms Hiva (in Japan: "Mu") and Atlantis [- the kingdoms of the West/ East -] knew how to use the power of the sun peacefully. Alas, a war broke out "because of a reason that is too trivial to remember" and they used sun weapons, so both completely vanished. Since it is a quite dangerous device, the entrance to the Golden City [= Raftel] can only be opened by innocent (children) with the two medaillons, who were given to them. In the One Piece series this could refer to the "D.".. ~
    Last edited by edd war d. new gate; March 9th, 2016 at 09:55 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Oh crap, it's happening again. Guys, if you think a post/thread is stupid, just ignore it. Why argue?

  17. #17
    I do, bro! I do! Shadowgreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Peach Creek

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    so the one piece is an artifact that complements three others (ancient weapons)?

  18. #18

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    At least he made an argument after watching something. You can provide counter arguments, but you can't really do the job right if you haven't watched it as well.

    Can someone watch this so I don't have to?
    I think it's p funny that he thinks he's won a great victory by having you join his side lol.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by edd war d. new gate View Post
    The One Piece in the story aka "the big treasure" is the device that was stolen at the very end of the Olmec-servant of Menetor [= aliens/ possibly leading Tenryuubito] from the [first] Golden City [= Raftel]. The wanted to use it to let their species live eternally.
    Without Tao's Jar it was incomplete, unstable and finally was stabilized (by Esteban's [= Luffy] father in a suicide mission) before it could destroy the whole world. It bears the power of the "inner sun".
    Once the two old kingdoms Hiva (in Japan: "Mu") and Atlantis [- the kingdoms of the West/ East -] knew how to use the power of the sun peacefully. Alas, a war broke out "because of a reason that is too trivial to remember" and they used sun weapons, so both completely vanished. Since it is a quite dangerous device, the entrance to the Golden City [= Raftel] can only be opened by innocent (children) with the two medaillons, who were given to them. In the One Piece series this could refer to the "D.".. ~
    I'm hesitant to watch your video because rambling bizarrely strung along words are generally worse in audio form then in text.
    For instance I can tell you're kind of sort of telling me what the One Piece is here, but you never actually say what it is. Mostly you start to then keep trailing off into stuff that talks as if your audience are also experts on Aztec Treasure Island Dorado Castle in the Sky.
    Like the firmest answer here is "it bears the power of the inner sun".

    What the fuck does that mean.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    your posts

  19. #19

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowgreed View Post
    so the one piece is an artifact that complements three others (ancient weapons)?
    I do not think so, since the "One Piece" actually should be used only peacefully (probably inspired by nuclear power).
    The treasure should provide the Olmec with enough energy to stay eternally young.
    But in The Mysterios Cities of Gold there might be something else that could forshadow Uranus.

    Based on the idea that Uranus will be some kind of weapon somewhere "above the sea" (to distingusih it from Pluton and Poseidon), it might either be the Olmecs' over powered space ship and/ or the "sun gun" (as it was used by the self-defending system of the Golden City).
    The last one might be the more interesting one, since it might have been inspired by the "Sun Gun".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_weapon#Orbital_weaponry

  20. #20
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: One Piece Story Template = 1982 The Mysterious Cities of Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I think it's p funny that he thinks he's won a great victory by having you join his side lol.
    Just common courtesy. I'm in no way saying you're typing crap in your replies.

    I'd really like to watch some of this stuff just to see if it's as glaringly similar as edd here claims, but don't know how to fit it in between work, training, close ones, reading Dark Tower and playing Divinity OS. I mean just from skimming that summary video on Youtube, I noticed similarities, perhaps too many for it to be pure coincidence. And reading wikia entry doesn't really provide a good picture.

    But even if Oda did use this as a "template", I doubt he's going to template the shit out of it all the way through to the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts