View Poll Results: Would the dub have stopped without the intervention of the Japanese Goverment?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

1 25.00%
  • HELL NO

3 75.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would the dub have stopped without the intervention of the Japanese Goverment?

Default Would the dub have stopped without the intervention of the Japanese Goverment?

I HATE to even imply I validate Roman Mack's crazy conspiracy theories and so on... but do you feel the dub would have stopped had the Japanese Goverment not helped fund the One Piece dub after the 500 onwards?

I know One Piece is better than ever in the USA and abroad. It's doing gangbusters in Streaming and so on. But do you feel it needed that extra push?

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Default Re: Would the dub have stopped without the intervention of the Japanese Goverment?

I'd like to think that Funi would have kept going, despite the intervention. I think the pandemic provided a good opportunity to allow the dub to catch up, while seasonal series were getting delayed. However, the speed at which they are dubbing and releasing content I don't think would have been this fast and consistent without the intervention.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Default Re: Would the dub have stopped without the intervention of the Japanese Goverment?

Wait wha? What you talking about?
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

First I've heard of this.

I have to assume the government wouldn't have provided assistance unless the dub was at risk of being canned, so I'm going with yes it would have stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Wait wha? What you talking about?
    Production of the dub is now being subsidized through J-LOD, a grant program through the Japanese government that aims to get certain anime localized abroad. So basically Funimation's getting paid by Japan to get the rest of the series dubbed, and why there's been a dramatic increase in turnaround over the past year.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by aku-chan View Post
    First I've heard of this.

I have to assume the government wouldn't have provided assistance unless the dub was at risk of being canned, so I'm going with yes it would have stopped.
    Not necessarily, as there's several huge titles that have received funding over the past couple of years worldwide. But yes, many of these titles are ones that are considered "high-risk" and likely wouldn't have been dubbed without financial assistance (like the first season of Gintama and the recent release of the first episode of Lupin the 3rd Part 1).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information