+ Reply to Thread
Page 392 of 410 FirstFirst ... 292 342 382 390 391 392 393 394 402 ... LastLast
Results 7,821 to 7,840 of 8192

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Maybe, but I usually try to wait to post things until the afternoon so they get the most traction.
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

Probably folks will enjoy waking up to it, though.

That works if people have notifications on maybe, but Twitter and social media in general tend to bury things that are posted when nobody’s awake. But I’ve posted stuff late before and it’s turned out okay, so maybe. I’ll decide when I get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    Ace is pretty early in 735, or the 3rd episode.
    Couldn’t find it. Oh well.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Ah. Found it. The performance for the first half of the line sounds like him, and the performance on the back half of the line doesn’t. But the overall voice sounds the same, so probably it’s Travis.

I’m less concerned about him than I am about Hawkins. Glad Apoo and Kaido sound fine. What’s you think of them?

Tsuru sounds the same as in the flashback, so yeah she wasnít trying to age herself down she just didnít remember the voice from how little dialogue she had before. I like the new take more and she sounds more distinct from big mom, so Iím not complaining.

In episode 736 they pronounce Urougeís nameÖ ďOo-roo-gayĒ . What. Thatís not even a hard name. How do you look at that and think itís pronounced that way. Oh and before anyone blames it on a new director mike directed that episode lol. Though really reminds me of how Joel somehow though Bege was pronounced ďBaygĒ.

Watching in order cuz I have enough time to binge them all tonight, so I havenít heard Kaido yet, but Apooís a really great voice match actually. Glad the roles in good hands, and is still very clearly in Brads image.

The more I listen to the Ace snippet the less it sounds like Travis to me, so sorry I have to disagree there. Not super concerned with T. Axelrod reprising Hawkins, since he just did so in Punk hazard, and Iím presuming these episodes. Travis hasnít recorded Ace in at least 4 years.

Ace has another line in 737, but was able to find the original episode and itís a grab. It not being re-recorded may suggest itís still Travis? But they didnít replace Blackbeardís lines for his flashback so ehhhhh.

Okay okay, sorry for repeatedly posting about the same thing, but thereís a reanimated alabasta flashback in 738. Yeah, absolutely not Travis, although sounds close enough that itís not overly distracting, and the average viewer may not notice. A shame he had to be recast at all, but not exactly a shock.

Just saw that zephray that Hawkins has changed. I compared and… no he hasn’t? I think you’re just confused because… in his scene here he is showing emotion. He’s never done that before, thus the tone.

Anyways Kaido is not exactly what I was expecting, but that’s not a bad thing. It’s great actually I think. It hits all the important points for me. He sounds his age, this kinda foreboding sound. He has this really flemmy? aspect to his voice where he’s like almost slurring his words sometimes, like the original seiyuu. If you like his original voice and that description sounds horrible to you, I’m just awful at explaining. But these things make him a better fit than say Daman Mills would be imo, someone me and many others would’ve liked. Not the deepest voice in the whole world, but deep enough to sell the rest of it.

Oh yeah also all episodes are up now.

I really do hope its still Travis, especially since in Wano he will actually get some lines

Okay final notes.

Mike directed all of them all of anyone was wondering.

Jack is kinda just a big tough guy but like… I don’t know what else I would’ve expected so it works well. The delivery on the… 2 lines is good.

Generally just fun this time, super surreal ending this finally. Lots of people we haven’t heard for a long time, or are entirely new, or are finally becoming relevant to the story. Particular really missed Ivankov, loved hearing Randy Pearlman as them again.

So uh, guess zou is next! Got a feeling it won’t be too long, even if we do get a hiatus of some kind I wouldn’t imagine it being very long. Lots of stuff to look forward to their, like all of these characters are pretty much untapped in the dub. Exciting time.

Oh wait, one more thing. Kaido sounds a lot like the roles I listened to from Paul St. Peter, so calling that it's him.

Someone posted the clip on YouTube (by filming their tv with their phone so it’s not great) but it doesn’t sound like Paul to me, but I’ll wait till a cleaner version goes up. Sounds really great as Kaido though, I’m excited!

Oh yeah, the clip you posted definitely sounds like a new Ace. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Oh yeah, the clip you posted definitely sounds like a new Ace. Bummer.
    New Ace almost sounds more like Sonic than Knuckles

If Hawkins VA didn’t change, certainly his performance and the writing for his character have. “Such was the fate of your pants” is long gone. He lost the stilted dialect and now sounds like a normal person speaking.

I like Kaido’s voice the more I listen. Jack’s sounded a little too much like an actor trying to sound big and tough, but it was only a short line or two, so I’ll give that a pass until we hear more. I wish the translation for his line sounded a little more mature; I only ever hear kids and teens use the word “crap”; “shit” seems to be the adult equivalent. That’s an extreme nitpick, of course.
    Last edited by Zephray; October 7th, 2021 at 09:10 AM.

Can someone post a link to Ace's voice?

Blake posted dub Kaido

https://twitter.com/onepiecedubclip/...959272448?s=21

I'm glad Tsuru/BM's voice actress came back for these episodes. That means--I hope--she'll be up for voicing WCI and Wano over the next two years or so. Probably her character will recede after Wano, so there's only two years (barring any breaks) of dubbing work for her if they keep up this one set every 1.5 month rate. WCI is 9 sets, then Wano is going to be like 15--and will probably be about over by time Funi releases WCI.

[QUOTE=Zephray;4152905]If Hawkins VA didn’t change, certainly his performance and the writing for his character have. “Such was the fate of your pants” is long gone. He lost the stilted dialect and now sounds like a normal person speaking. [QUOTE=Zephray;4152905] I’m sorry but you’re really nitpicking here. It’s one scene. This is the first time he is nervous or shocked in any way, so obviously he is not going to sound completely emotionless and stilted. He just had a scene in Punk Hazard where he sounded the same, if he’s somehow showing too much emotion for you despite what the scene conveys then good news, I actually can’t remember another time off the top of my head he’s even this emotional.

No. He's breaking character. It isn't like Hawkins to suddenly sound like a normal guy when he's surprised--that would imply Hawkins the character is only acting when he puts on his stilted, very formal dialect. His phrasing should always be wordy, his delivery/dialect always the same. On Sabaody, he was certainly under more stress than he is in this scene, yet his dialect stayed the same stilted way. An actor can certainly communicate stress or surprise while keeping to their dialect. The writers, if they're skilled, can certainly articulate his formal, signature odd phrasing regardless of the mood his character is in.

Should Shiki have dropped his Jamaican accent whenever he had some sort of emotional rise or change? No, obviously not. This is exactly the same.

Weird for you to be the guy to call me out on a nit-pick, especially since an actor changing his delivery approach to the point where I'm not even sure it's the same actor definitely isn't a nit-pick. I'm glad it doesn't bother you, but it isn't a nit-pick. It doesn't bother me much if it's only for these few lines. It'll bother me and be a bummer if this new performance style and writing carries into Wano.
    Last edited by Zephray; October 7th, 2021 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    If Hawkins VA didn’t change, certainly his performance and the writing for his character have. “Such was the fate of your pants” is long gone. He lost the stilted dialect and now sounds like a normal person speaking.
    I’m sorry but yes I would call this nitpicking. It’s one scene. This is the first time he is nervous or shocked in any way, so obviously he is not going to sound completely emotionless and stilted. He just had a scene in Punk Hazard where he sounded the same, if he’s somehow showing too much emotion for you despite what the scene conveys then good news, I actually can’t remember another time off the top of my head he’s even this emotional. You don’t necessarily have to like it, although I honestly can not understand how you’re complaining about a different delivery when the character is acting in a manor they never had before, but at the very least I’d say you should not worry that how he sounds is gonna completely change.

Quote Originally Posted by AceLuffy4ever View Post
    Can someone post a link to Ace's voice?
    https://twitter.com/onepiecedubclip/...933637121?s=21
    Last edited by Blake Bakes Cakes; October 7th, 2021 at 02:30 PM.

What are you talking about? He's never been surprised or stressed before? Fighting Kizaru was a walk in the park, eh? And you clearly didn't even read my post. A dialect shouldn't change when you're surprised; that makes no sense.

Go to bed, mate. You stayed up too late.

I just woke up (have no idea what time it is for you but either way yes I know my sleep schedule is awful). Also it’s as simple as I wouldn’t say it completely changed. Like, he just doesn’t sound emotionless. Also tbh I just remember him being mostly calm during the Kizaru encounter despite how screwed he was.

But at the very least, again I just wouldn’t worry about him sounding different in the future. Like, even if you do not think it reads well, what I’ve been saying was clearly the intent. Because… it’s only the one scene. Like I just wouldn’t say they’re ruining his character or anything until you see more of him, not matter how you feel about the scene.

Also yeah sorry I didn’t read what you said, because you posted while i was trying to edit something and I guess instead I… posted the edited version separately? After you said something else? No idea how I did that. But I don’t really have anything else to add. Sounds fine to me.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Someone should just @ Taliesin Jaffe and ask him if he's still Hawkins, that would solve it real quick (I would but I don't have twitter)

I don’t really have to, I’m positive. It’s obvious it’s still him comparing them, and there’s no reason we’d know of as to why he would be recast. Pretty sure it was just however he delivered his lines that through Zephray off.

Me whenever there’s a new dub voice: http://https://youtu.be/6bfBhIM5tb4

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information