+ Reply to Thread
Page 386 of 409 FirstFirst ... 286 336 376 384 385 386 387 388 396 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,720 of 8177

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Yeah, I don’t blame some of them. I do wish they asked real questions about the dubbing process instead of very stupid and silly joke questions all the time.

Catching up on the end of last set. Man, these episodes seem to cover less than half a chapter. Brutally slow with all the townsfolk and allies filler. Also, what the fuck: Fujitora can’t stop the birdcage, an extension of a single Shichibukai’s devil fruit while they’re weak and fighting elsewhere? And Zoro doesn’t even try to cut it? This arc is so f***ing dumb. Oda could’ve at least preoccupied Fujitora and had Zoro cut the strings only for them to regenerate. Such an easy plot hole to fill that’s otherwise glaring stupid…

At the beginning of this arc in the dub, I had started to forget why I hated it. The back half has reminded me.

Will run out of episodes if the new set doesn’t drop in the first week of October. Here’s hoping.

Also, Bartos barriers can’t stop it… the whole point is that they’re indestructible. Took a king punch and didn’t budge an inch.
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

Thats why im patiently waiting for the next batch of episodes to drop before i binge my way through the birdcage half of Dressrosa ,because thats when the episode really started to drag.

Kyle hosted a twitter space today and I got to talk to him briefly. It was about… the mario movie cast so I didn’t get a chance to ask any one piece questions but mildly interesting! I think! Maybe!

He’s dubbing TWEWY now. Probably safe to say he’s not working on OP. Got a feeling this new season of simuldubs has slowed them down even more; such a bummer they can’t keep up the one per month schedule to catch up. Getting anxious for the next batch.

Kyle like, has barely directed the show anyways. Doubt what he’s currently working on changes much.

The job of the actors is too voice act. They work on multiple projects. I don't blame them if they don't remember many facts of the series.

Yes, but it sounds kind of insincere when they say they love the franchise but can’t even name the main cast.

It’s possible they just think of them as the actors. Happens all the time in theatre. Or the choreographer for a musical who spends days upon days blocking and rehearsing a song but they don’t even know the words to it. There’s precedent.

No OP set again this week. Damn. Last set was 8/17, so we’re probably looking at 7-8 weeks. Wonder if the different roles in this set made recording a little slower. Not sure who they’re trying to get for Kaido.

maybe the real voyage 9 was the friends we made along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Catching up on the end of last set. Man, these episodes seem to cover less than half a chapter. Brutally slow with all the townsfolk and allies filler. Also, what the fuck: Fujitora can’t stop the birdcage, an extension of a single Shichibukai’s devil fruit while they’re weak and fighting elsewhere? And Zoro doesn’t even try to cut it? This arc is so f***ing dumb. Oda could’ve at least preoccupied Fujitora and had Zoro cut the strings only for them to regenerate. Such an easy plot hole to fill that’s otherwise glaring stupid…

At the beginning of this arc in the dub, I had started to forget why I hated it. The back half has reminded me.

Will run out of episodes if the new set doesn’t drop in the first week of October. Here’s hoping.
    Other than the bad pacing, what was so terrible about this arc? Doflamingo was one of the best villains in the series, and the rest of the arc put the spotlight on Luffy’s new grand fleet. I thought most people enjoyed this arc.

The pacing is the main thing. But also nonstop fighting, little plot, and hard disagree that DoFlamingo was one of the best villains. His backstory is “I’ve been evil since birth, and I want to murder everyone,” and his brilliant plan during this arc was, “Let’s distract Luffy with a fighting tournament” and “Let’s murder everyone with an extremely slowly closing cage.” He had the potential to be one of the best villains—but I think most people had high expectations that he’d have more clever and purposeful plotting/maneuvering and better motivations than he did. I wish the arc’s plotting was more clever, less straightforward and predictable (Luffy/co will get fruit, then they’ll fight their way to Doffy and beat him; birdcage is closing but won’t hurt anyone; etc.). Add to this a number of smaller grievances (Zoro can’t cut string, Fujitora can’t stop the birdcage, and Sabo can’t help Luffy fight Doffy), not to mention the blatant sexism in the Franky fight. Did I mention this arc was nonstop fighting?

It has its high moments—Sabo’s introduction, Sugar vs Usopp, Law’s flashback, gear four, Bart & cabbage. But those are really only moments when you look at how long the arc is—over 100 chapters and episodes. Like I said, the complaints are mostly about the pacing. If he trimmed the fighting and made the arc 40 episodes, it would be a great arc.
    Last edited by Zephray; September 28th, 2021 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    The pacing is the main thing. But also nonstop fighting, little plot, and hard disagree that DoFlamingo was one of the best villains. His backstory is “I’ve been evil since birth, and I want to murder everyone,” and his brilliant plan during this arc was, “Let’s distract Luffy with a fighting tournament” and “Let’s murder everyone with an extremely slowly closing cage.” He had the potential to be one of the best villains—but I think most people had high expectations that he’d have more clever and purposeful plotting/maneuvering and better motivations than he did. I wish the arc’s plotting was more clever, less straightforward and predictable (Luffy/co will get fruit, then they’ll fight their way to Doffy and beat him; birdcage is closing but won’t hurt anyone; etc.). Add to this a number of smaller grievances (Zoro can’t cut string, Fujitora can’t stop the birdcage, and Sabo can’t help Luffy fight Doffy), not to mention the blatant sexism in the Franky fight. Did I mention this arc was nonstop fighting?

It has its high moments—Sabo’s introduction, Sugar vs Usopp, Law’s flashback, gear four, Bart & cabbage. But those are really only moments when you look at how long the arc is—over 100 chapters and episodes. Like I said, the complaints are mostly about the pacing. If he trimmed the fighting and made the arc 40 episodes, it would be a great arc.
    I can agree a little that Doflamingo’s plan had some flaws, but I think you misunderstand his backstory. He grew up as a Celestial Dragon and had so much control, and when his father took that away and he could never go back, he decided to take his revenge on the whole world. It traumatized him and he basically went insane, unlike Cora who was able to cope. He was like a perfect antithesis to Luffy, someone who thought they were better than everyone else, like a Celestial Dragon but more powerful.

You’re too kind. DoFlamingo was rotten from the start. They don’t show him changing from good to evil with the move and loss of riches. He just goes from evil to more evil. It really isn’t an arc. And “murder everyone in the world” as revenge for some specific wrong that was done to you is so absurdly bad writing as a motivation and goal. I remember laughing at the corny line where he talks about getting revenge on the whole world (the lines where belamy is at his feet).

I mean, people can be multiple things. Doflamingo was a spoiled kid, his attitude was terrible but somewhat understandable. He then went through some of the most gruesome circumstances imaginable. This is not an excuse, Cora turned out a good person, but how much of doflamingo is how he was nurtured or his nature is left up to interpretation, and I find that pretty cool. Also his motivation of destroying the world is because he hates the people that control all of it. Perhaps not exactly rational but destroying the celestial dragons essentially means destroying the world.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Very random piece of information, but in case this is of even the slightest of use to anyone, the font used in the dubs title cards is called crackhouse. I uh, needed it for a meme lol.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

in an alternate universe where we have nice things...

I don't like that the dub still uses that font. The Japanese version ditched the "cracked" text with the timeskip, (and thank goodness for that; That font was basically unreadable) yet the English dub has kept it to this day. And I just... don't like how it looks to begin with.

I mean, I prefer some character over the most basic font imaginable. Anyways never complain about the dub being inconsistent again cuz we’ve now had 14 years strong of crackhouse font BABY

If you compare them directly, they look pretty different. The Japanese font looks less "broken" and more like it has TV static underneath it. I guess it wasn't really designed for English text, though.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    The Japanese version ditched the "cracked" text with the timeskip, yet the English dub has kept it to this day.
    Yeah, there's a lack of attention to detail when it comes to the actual editing that Funi does to its English releases. If they still used multi-angle, it wouldn't be an issue. Not a dealbreaker, but annoying.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information