+ Reply to Thread
Page 383 of 410 FirstFirst ... 283 333 373 381 382 383 384 385 393 ... LastLast
Results 7,641 to 7,660 of 8192

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Naruto has always had an amazing dub, also. I bought the DVDs when they first came out, and compared the two versions. The entire main cast was absolutely perfect casting. Shonen protagonists are often hard to cast in English, and Naruto is hands down the best. Going with a voice actress with little prior anime experience was a bold move, and it paid off. But then, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is also a superb ADR director, who greatly respects the original work. She really put her mark on the series.

Man, I’m watching the Vinland Saga Sentai dub and am not at all crazy about it. John Swasey, our very own Crocodile, directs, and I don’t think he’s a good director. There are several straight up bad actors in here, and some of the key roles are slightly miscasted or the actors are just not up to the nuance of their roles. It’s a hard show to cast, to be sure, but I’m really not impressed by the dub here.

Shame because I love Sentai’s Haikyu dub, and their Made in Abyss dub is good too. It all depends on the directors more than the company—who they decide to cast and what performances they can work out of them.

Gotten farther in Vinland. Not as many bad performances in the back two thirds. Still think the show could’ve used much better voice talent for many of its roles (and a better director to steer them all). It must’ve been a challenging show to direct—what with the accents.
    Last edited by Zephray; August 27th, 2021 at 10:17 AM.

Why is Sentai redubbing the netflix shows they get that already have dubs

The Vinland Netflix dub isn’t available in the US. Weird, huh?

I wonder if someone lands shaman king 2021, if they will be able to release the Netflix dub or will they be forced to redub it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmint View Post
    I wonder if someone lands shaman king 2021, if they will be able to release the Netflix dub or will they be forced to redub it.
    I hope not because that dub is very good so far, and it even has Dan effing green

The Evangelion GKIDS release says it has the “official dub.” Not sure if that means the Netflix dub, but if so, that’s an odd instance of Netflix giving their dub to another company for hardcopy media release.

And gosh, I’m really hoping it’s the Netflix dub. Evangelion doesn’t need a fifth dub, especially when the Netflix dub is one of the best dubs out there—and certainly the best Eva dub by a mile and a half.

I disagree. I didn't really care for the Netflix dub for Eva. I rather have the original ADV dub of Eva on bluray. And they already redub the first 3 Rebuild movies for Amazon with the original dub cast of the tv series.

Everyone is allowed to have a terrible opinion. :P That old dub and the Amazon one has some of the worst acting/directing Iíve ever seen in dubbing. Particularly Misato and Shinji and most of the side characters in the Rebuild movies (Tojiís wife was so terrible). I remember Ikari being fine (John Swasey), Daman Mills being good, and (from the new film) the aged Toji being the best actor of the bunch despite being a minor character.
    Last edited by Zephray; August 29th, 2021 at 03:20 PM.

Did you see the One Piece 4kids dub rapper actual make a continuation to the rap with new crew mates?

I want Jinbe to be in the rap!

I’m not in love with the sequel, but here it is.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/one...-shawn-conrad/

You can uh, definitely tell he was far from the sole person that worked on the original lol. A cool novelty all the same. Although, it is very weird hearing him say Zoro.
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

It boggles my mind that nowadays peple think the old ADV Eva dub was actually good. Outside of Asuka, it was generally derided as being bad at the time, as were most of ADV's projects.

There's a reason their nickname was "Atrociously Dubbed Videos".

But grow up on a thing and I guess anything can be nostalgic.

Even the DBZ dub which was never good, you're just used to it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

You're right. The old Asuka was fine, too. Best of the three kiddos.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

But grow up on a thing and I guess anything can be nostalgic.

Even the DBZ dub which was never good, you're just used to it.
    Nothing gets on my nerves more when someone says "X dub sucks!" (usually one piece because well look at the thread your on) "the only good dub is dbz!" when... god pretty much every dub nowadays is leaps and bounds better than it it isn't even funny.

I can understand the nostalgia and there are some genuinely good things about it, but largely it is super unfaithful and cheesy. A lot of their mistranslations have become so iconic that they're the only ones americans accept, and are still used in the otherwise good modern dragon ball dubs. I think often about how made fun of the dude was commentating on the first macys thansgiving parade goku was in because he pronounced "saiyan" wrong... when that was aways how it was pronounced in the original lmao.

Like if you say that without a hint of self awareness or irony I'm honestly just not interested in what you have to say. These same people then proceed to complain about the one piece dub just has "dbz actors" which even the ignoring the ignorance of the industry and generalization of that statement... it literally is not even true. Like I think when people say this they're just referring to like the main cast, but half the straw hats where cast in one piece before dragon ball anyways.

Colleen- both luffy and gohan, was luffy first

sabat- both zoro and... everyone in dragonball. dragonball first

luci- nami and a minor character in the tournament of power i think, obviously nami first

sonny- krillin and usopp, was krillin first

eric- trunks and sanji, was trunks first

brina- chopper and chiaozu, was chopper first

stephanie- robin and from what i can find she voices like one character in a dragonball game

seitz- franky and jiren, was franky like a decade before lol

ian- brook and whis, was brook first.

baugh- jimbei, isnt in a ton of stuff in the first place so nobody in dragonball

Only 3 of the 10 straw hats so far reused someone who played a notable character in dragonball, although 2 others were given one piece and dragonball roles around the same time.

Even if they did have a point here, everyone clearly has more expierence and way better direction in newer dubs, especially one piece. Besides I fail to see why it would even be a bad thing since they hold the dbz dub in such high regard in the first place.

Oh, look. They found a clever way to remain behind on trailers by calling them recaps.

https://twitter.com/onepieceanime/st...017350665?s=21

Blake, itís time for you to guess when the new set is due.
    Last edited by Zephray; September 6th, 2021 at 02:55 PM.

Oh god is this just like my job now? lmao. Anyways I’m gonna say the 28th it just feels right.

yeah i really feel like we may get something at the end of the month as well

Hopefully Oda finishes up the manga at a good place eventually. I don't want a Beserk situation to happen to the series.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information