+ Reply to Thread
Page 381 of 409 FirstFirst ... 281 331 371 379 380 381 382 383 391 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,620 of 8180

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

“Remember when I killed your wife/mom? Do ya? Do ya??”

Got pretty tired of that. At least he gets his head slammed on her tombstone.

Kyle and, Chris Wehkamp? direct episodes 720-722. Episodes 723-727 are Anthony and Tyson. Mike directs 728 onwards with Tyson assisting on the last 2 episodes.

I actually don’t have much to say about this voyage as I thought I would. The good stuff is good but man… this is some of the worst pacing of the entire arc. Flashbacks upon flashbacks every single episode. It kinda ruins a lot of moments. Not to mention the weird cut off point.

Dub notes:

-Garret Schenck is Hack again. I know some of you insist it was still him in voyage 6 but I’m telling you there’s no way that was him. My guess is he was sick or something and they had a schedule go up keep, and because Hack ultimately has so few lines they thought it wouldn’t be distracting.

-Speaking of recasts, there’s a flashback with blackbeard and they just… reuse Cole Browns clips. Now I know it was already recorded and. all, but normally if you’ve already recast someone you re-record flashbacks for consistency. It’s gonna make it more noticeable for the average viewer.

-Surprisingly Colleen does like this… more formal? warrior like tone? I have no idea how to describe it but it’s noticeably different. It was jarring at first but honestly I think it may be just the right kind of silly. But… this just fades over time to the point it’s just Luffy and it’s like… all right. That’s all I expected but it’s weird you initially tried to make it sound a bit different then slowly forgot? I guess.

When a new voyage comes out I watch it before I sleep and talk about it when I wake up, so with 13 episodes of content I’m probably forgetting a lot that I’ll mention later. But yeah, that’s the gist of my thoughts.
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

She changed her voice than forgot? That sounds terrible.

Glad Hack is back to normal. Don't mind the Blackbeard stuff. And yeah, when I saw the set was 14 episodes of a final fight, I knew it would be bad. As I said before, waiting impatiently for this set to come out was less about this set and more about waiting for voyage nine.

That’s the thing, it’s not 13 episodes of a final fight. It’s 13 episodes of people pushing back the bird cage with some fight scenes if your lucky. The “10 minutes” luffy needs to recharge his haki is just like 3 episodes of people trying to stall.

The thing with 4th gear is that it isn’t like sudden or anything, it just slowly shifts to the point a less perceptive viewer probably wouldn’t notice. I wouldn’t call it “terrible” it’s just… weird.

Is it by chance just keeping in line with the sub though? As I recall when Luffy first does the gear fourth he sort of says it in a Kabuki style way, then wouldn't really speak any different once getting into the attacks and properly in the form.

I mean I think thats what they were going for yeah, but its even more than like just the first two lines announcing the form or whatever.

I skimmed around in the episodes. He basically sounds very deep and formal where it’s introduced, then within an episode or two Colleen forgets to do the deep voice and formality (new director, maybe?) and just transitions back to Luffy’s usual slightly-deeper screams. The few lines of normal dialogue sound very normal two episodes in. Im not sure what they were thinking here. There was no reason to give up the voice so quickly. I hate this decision. Either commit or don’t, you know?

Guys, you wont believe this but I have heard that the Funimation dub (Along with the Latin American and Brazil redub of the series)is funded by the Japanese Goverment.

Crazy how we’re literally over 100 episodes into this arc. If we even had a chapter adapted per episode on average we’d be done.

Anybody else having trouble accessing the episodes? I’m getting an error message saying that the license for the content has expired

Sorry but not this is the first I'm hearing of this. If it changes anything I literally bought it within like 2 minutes of its release.

I tried watching on my Xbox and laptop, but the same error message keeps occurring

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    Crazy how we’re literally over 100 episodes into this arc. If we even had a chapter adapted per episode on average we’d be done.
    Yes, I'm exhausted. The first four sets were far more fun than I was expecting, but my excitement waned very quickly after those. The first four sets have okay pacing, but set five begins some of the worst pacing in the entire series, and the dub didn't help cover that. I'm dying to start Zou, and, better yet, WCI. WCI is one of my favorite arcs; I can't wait to see the wedding and beyond. Big Mom hounding them for twenty episodes or so will be a blast.

I mean yeah at this point I'm a little fatigued, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. Voyage 5 was probably the slowest overall, but I'd probably call voyage 8 more frustrating because it has really good content to work with but you can tell more than ever how much they're stretching it. Like, I honestly do not mind when scenes themselves are made slower for the most part (with some exceptions), and I mean obviously an anime is gonna be at least a bit slower by nature, but I can not stand when they just convey the same piece of information over and over again. So much of these episodes is just focusing on everyone trying to survive and pushback the birdcage and its like yeah!!! We get it already!!! Not to mention I've probably talked more than enough about how what a stupid plot device it is in the first place.

Which to be completely fair, this is not all the animes fault. Like, I mean obviously most of the time the pacing isn't anyways, the higher ups just mandate a system that ludicrously overworks people to provide a mediocre to good product, which is honestly amazing given how its produced. But even Zou and WCI have more consistently entertaining animes, and they adapt even less pages per episode on average. There is some blame to lay on the original work, even if I overall like it.

Speaking of zou, man it'll be fun but part of me is dreading it. Just cuz like, the fact its gonna take 3 voyages to play out is frankly ridiculous. The arc itself would just be ONE EPISODE too long to fit in 2 voyages, and since it was 22 chapters that certainely would've been... preferable, to say the least. But we also have the filler before and after, so we're gonna get 3 compartively short voyages, 2 of which are gonna be like a 3rd filler episodes. Can't help but think of season 10 voyage 1, which while super enjoyable for the novelty of finally getting new dub one piece, ultimately covered so little story.

I mean, I guess I shouldn't complain TOO much. For it's length one pieces filler percentage is almost non-existent, especially after the timeskip. But it'll be frustrating cuz zou itself is mostly a setup arc, and before one of my favorite arcs at that!

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Ah fun fact I just found out, there’s now more dubbed one piece episodes than naruto episodes, which had 720 (not counting boruto)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Guys, you wont believe this but I have heard that the Funimation dub (Along with the Latin American and Brazil redub of the series)is funded by the Japanese Goverment.

How exactly is this possible? I wish they could do that with the Detective Conan series.

Different countries support their arts and artists. One Piece is huge in Japan, so it’s no surprise that it receives help in the form of grants and such.

Well, if the Japanese government is funding our One Piece dub...then I guess it's pretty safe? lol

Lol. I think probably it’s just funding Toei, and Toei is of course the one paying to have it dubbed. Do you have a source on that, Captain Krupp?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Episode 717, after Kyros cuts down Diamanté, they keep forgetting to show the cut wound on Diamanté. There’s one or two shots where they straight up do a close-up of his uncut chest. Weirdddd mistake.
    Last edited by Zephray; August 18th, 2021 at 11:16 PM.

Am I missing something or do those articles only mention Spanish and Portuguese, not Funimation?
    Who or what is Mendinso?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information