+ Reply to Thread
Page 376 of 409 FirstFirst ... 276 326 366 374 375 376 377 378 386 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,520 of 8177

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    The locked subtitles makes a lot of sense because Toei was worried about reverse importation with the Blu-ray’s being so cheap here.
    Dumb question, but what are locked subtitles?

On DVDs pre-punk hazard, the option to have subtitles was seperate from the audio track. Therefore, you could watch it in Japanese with no subtitles. Now you have to watch it with subtitles, there’s no way to remove them.
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    On DVDs pre-punk hazard, the option to have subtitles was seperate from the audio track. Therefore, you could watch it in Japanese with no subtitles. Now you have to watch it with subtitles, there’s no way to remove them.
    And similarly, no way to turn on subtitles while listening to the dub, for purposes of comparing the scripts. Which sucks.

We seem to have fallen quite a bit from the early DVD days when we'd have unlocked subtitles, as well as alternate angles for credits and title cards.

Side note: Funi has SDH tracks (subtitles with the English dialogue and non-dialogue sounds) that they use on TV and streaming services, but they're not on the discs. It's a shame to exclude an accessibility feature when it exists on other formats, but I guess they don't see any the demand for them.

If we’re going to see the set at the beginning of next month, an announcement is likely over the next few days.

My wife and I just finished the Sai/Chinjao/Baby 5/Lao G fight and we were howling with laughter. Kudos to all the actors.

Part of me wishes the Lao G dying of gag actually killed him and ended the fight I think that would have probably been funnier.

Nah cuz then we miss out on Beefy Lao G.

I’ve been told they fixed the 714 preview for FuniNow

@Skippy, who animated Sai v Lao G? Looks like Tu Yong-ce to my amateur eyes.

Naotoshi Shida I think.

Speaking of hardcoded subs, the “textless” openings on s11v3 have both English and Japanese subtitles hardcoded. Nice.

Really??? What the hell funi.

I’m telling you, no one at this company us an eye for detail or quality control. It’s endlessly mind boggling.

Also, there’s a good bit of artifacting on the blurays. Not sure what the point of blurays is if they fail to compress them well.

Thats… beyond “attention to detail”. Like, them being textless is the entire point. Almost seems like it’d be some kinda resource issue.

Speaking of hardcoded subs, the “textless” openings on s11v3 have both English and Japanese subtitles hardcoded. Nice.
    This can be circumvented by... ripping the BD and playing back the files individually on the PC.

Gee, don't you love it when paying customers are punished in ways that are super easy to circumvent for pirates?

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    Thats… beyond “attention to detail”. Like, them being textless is the entire point. Almost seems like it’d be some kinda resource issue.
    It's 100% deliberate though. Someone would have to actively program the BD to do this. Because to be clear: The subtitles aren't burned into the video. They are softsubbed. There's just a flag in place that prevents you from disabling them. Making them effectively hardsubbed if you stick to playing them the legal way... but perfectly un-hardsubbable otherwise.
    Last edited by Lord Starfish; July 31st, 2021 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Gee, don't you love it when paying customers are punished in ways that are super easy to circumvent for pirates?
    Modern media distribution in a nutshell.

Also, there’s a good bit of artifacting on the blurays. Not sure what the point of blurays is if they fail to compress them well.
    Dunno if this is what you're referring to, but flicking through clips of C26 I've noticed that Funi's badly deinterlaced the background animation whenever they've added their own text/logos.
    In other words, they've removed every other horizontal line of pixels during the opening, eyecatchers and shots with modified English text. This, of course, means that those shots are now softer and have noticeable aliasing. It's particularly obvious when you compare the in-episode footage to the texless opening, which isn't affected. This must be an issue with Funi's English masters of the episode, rather than something specific to the disc transfer, and the quality drop is negligible once the episodes are put onto DVD. It's a clumsy move on Funi's part, albeit one that only affects select shots in-episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    This can be circumvented by... ripping the BD and playing back the files individually on the PC.

It's 100% deliberate though. Someone would have to actively program the BD to do this. Because to be clear: The subtitles aren't burned into the video. They are softsubbed. There's just a flag in place that prevents you from disabling them. Making them effectively hardsubbed if you stick to playing them the legal way... but perfectly un-hardsubbable otherwise.
    Deliberate? Maybe. Also maybe they clicked a box in the settings without thinking it through.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    Modern media distribution in a nutshell.

Dunno if this is what you're referring to, but flicking through clips of C26 I've noticed that Funi's badly deinterlaced the background animation whenever they've added their own text/logos.
    In other words, they've removed every other horizontal line of pixels during the opening, eyecatchers and shots with modified English text. This, of course, means that those shots are now softer and have noticeable aliasing. It's particularly obvious when you compare the in-episode footage to the texless opening, which isn't affected. This must be an issue with Funi's English masters of the episode, rather than something specific to the disc transfer, and the quality drop is negligible once the episodes are put onto DVD. It's a clumsy move on Funi's part, albeit one that only affects select shots in-episode.
    Nah. I’m just pausing it at random points in the episodes and noticing pixelation on my big screen. I only paused it because the lines don’t look as crisp as I’m used to with Blu-ray animation.

To be fair I think some blu ray players can compress the image slightly when pausing.

Guess we probably won’t get a new set this week, eh? Two month schedule, here we come.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information