+ Reply to Thread
Page 375 of 410 FirstFirst ... 275 325 365 373 374 375 376 377 385 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,500 of 8190

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    Mike Pollock voices Doffys dad. He didn’t voice any characters per se but he did a lot of narrations segments and ads for the 4kids dub.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I love him. I had forgotten that!

15th came and went. No OP in October.

Not really surprising. They've been putting out voyages every 2 months and we don't have enough for a collection yet. I do wonder if they're literally just gonna release collections the month after they have enough voyages from now on.
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

I haven't manage to catch up yet because im waiting on streaming, but are all the executives defeated in english?

All except Trebol

When is the next release of dub episodes on FUNimation's site?

Eps. 707-719 come out on the 27th

Now that Voyage Seven is out on Digital and coming to streaming on the 27th, and only 2 more voyages left to be released after that, one will have 13 episodes and the other should have 14. Which way do you think they will go? I think it would make more sense to have 14 episodes on Voyage Eight since that would take us up to Doflamingo's defeat, where as if it was 13, it would be the episode prior to his defeat.
    DPNZ - Now known as ShiningDiamond (Yes! That is a JoJo Reference!)
    To see all the Anime I have watched / dropped and planning to watch - https://myanimelist.net/animelist/ShiningDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    Eps. 707-719 come out on the 27th
    Perfect timing! I just passed the episode where Luffy and Zoro crack up at Pica's voice, and I know the most recent batch ends during the Law flashback. So I'll have more episodes to watch by the time I get through these.

I just discovered something REALLY weird. Did anybody else notice there just… isn’t a 5.1 dub mix on the dvds anymore???? I noticed on collection 26 it said it was stereo, and what do you know from season 10 voyage 4 onwards that is in fact the case. It does not even change at season 11 for some weird reason involving the blu-rays or anything. I guess it doesn’t effect me personally cuz I don’t have a surround sound set up, but what the hell? Literally everything they do nowadays is 5.1.

Yeah, that's odd. I guess it could be a licensing thing, although even in that case you'd think it would take effect at the beginning of a new batch of licensed episodes. It's hard to imagine why Toei would care, unless they want all the foreign versions to match and think that remixes might be too revisionist. Or we'll see more Funi titles forgo upmixes from now on and OP just happened to have the fastest turn-around. Maybe they'd already mixed most of Season 10 when the policy changed and they were allowed to use the surround mixes they'd already completed?

Not that it's a major loss. The series' sound design is pretty simple and there was rarely much chance for them to use the rear channels effectively. It's not like the Movie Packs, where 5.1 mixes existed but weren't used, but it's a bit of a downgrade none the less.

The thing is if it changes mid-season i’m willing to bet at least some 5.1 mixes exist that weren’t released.

There might be. I suppose it depends whether they mix them a "Voyage" at a time and whether they create the upmix at the same time they mix the English dialogue itself. The stereo tracks on Season 1-3 seem to be downmixes of the 5.1 track, presumably meaning that there wasn't a dedicated stereo mix for those episodes.

My Collection 26's here and I've noticed some technical things that I don't think have been mentioned yet.
    • All of the discs have locked subtitles and audio, even the DVDs. I guess this happened once "Season Ten" started? I know that's quite common with anime releases, but it's interesting that One Piece has started doing that after avoiding it for so long on DVD and BD.
    • The cover lists the video as 1080p, which is technically incorrect. It's encoded in 1080i, but with the animation being 30fps that's the correct format to use.
    • As of "Season 11", Marathon Play actually skips that New World introduction but keeps the recap of the previous episodes. Apparently the branching points weren't tied to chapters after all.

The locked subtitles makes a lot of sense because Toei was worried about reverse importation with the Blu-ray’s being so cheap here.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    • As of "Season 11", Marathon Play actually skips that New World introduction but keeps the recap of the previous episodes. Apparently the branching points weren't tied to chapters after all.
    Oh wow really! I hadn't checked out Marathon play on my set yet, but that's huge! I've been asking Funi for that for awhile

When it comes to sound design, I just don’t think the dub is as precisely engineered as the subbed. There’s so much more base in the sub; the voices are crisper and with more depth. Idk what equipment they’re using over there but it smokes ours. Or maybe there are just different standards for sound dubbing here.

I’d love to ask an engineer if they design films (for Blu-ray release) differently from episodes on Blu-ray.

If anything I think the OP movies may be mixed worse. When I watched stampede in theaters I could honestly barely hear the dialogue at times. I think it's somewhat better on the blu ray but I think the anime dub has a better job of actually making everything audible. I'm not really an expert so I'll take your word for it, but I haven't really noticed any lower fidelity on the dubs part, on the pre-covid stuff atleast.

One little thing Funi tends to do in their dubs that I always find cool is the booming echo effect they tend to add when characters shout out their attack names, and not just in their One Piece dub, but MHA and DBS too. Adds a bit more power compared to the sub versions, but I guess one could also argue that the sub actor's screams are so powerful by themselves that echo effects and other enhancements aren't needed as much or at all, getting away with the raw audio instead.

Last edited by Electrivire; July 22nd, 2021 at 06:36 PM.
    New World is best world.

So thankfully I didn’t have to watch the whole thing but in the industry panel they uploaded they literally did the same thing as the summer preview. Said “more episodes are coming!” then proceed to play THE VOYAGE 5 TRAILER AGAIN. What the hell are they doing. At least promote something that didn’t literally release 3 months ago. Why get fans excited for an announcement just to dissapoint them? Just don’t put it in the show. Voyage 7 didn’t even come out that long after the summer preview so I wouldn’t even say this even confirms we aren’t getting it soon, though I’m not especially hopeful. It’s just feels like they are literally putting 0 effort into announcing and marketing, at least before they were somewhat consistent for a bit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information