+ Reply to Thread
Page 266 of 268 FirstFirst ... 166 216 256 264 265 266 267 268 LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,320 of 5344

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Man, how does anyone even remember the 4Kids nuances. I watched them all when they aired, but man have I blocked all those memories out.
    Going broke while paying to fix your child's gigantism? M4A can help! Vote Bernie Sanders 2020!

FWIW, 4Kids used "Jinbei" (in their subs, at least) and Funi uses "Jimbei".
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Man, how does anyone even remember the 4Kids nuances. I watched them all when they aired, but man have I blocked all those memories out.
    Oh no I've actually only been a one piece fan since 2018. I just so happened to hear that recently.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    FWIW, 4Kids used "Jinbei" (in their subs, at least) and Funi uses "Jimbei".
    By their subs you mean like dubtitles right? Anyways I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The I is simply added to specify pronunciation in english, and reall nb and mb are such similar noises that it practically makes no difference. I just found this little tidbit interesting as they were technically more accurate. Not sure what odex used though.

I LOVE how despite seemingly using his actual name their mishandling of Bellemere botched EVERYTHING about the actual character of Jinbe before he even appeared.

4Kids! also called Robin's "cursed fruit" the "Hana-Hana Fruit", but it makes more sense to use English translations, I suppose. FUNimation of course uses "Flower-Flower Fruit".

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    4Kids! also called Robin's "cursed fruit" the "Hana-Hana Fruit", but it makes more sense to use English translations, I suppose. FUNimation of course uses "Flower-Flower Fruit".
    What do you mean it makes more sense than other translations? It literally just doesnt translate it

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    What do you mean it makes more sense than other translations? It literally just doesnt translate it
    No, I mean it makes more sense in the context of an English dub to translate it like FUNimation did. 4Kids!, as far as I can remember, translated all other devil fruits (minus Gum-Gum, if you want to be technical).

Gum Gum IS translated. I think you mean localized. Also it is odd that in 4kids Different Models of any given fruit didnt exist. They were just given different names I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    By their subs you mean like dubtitles right?
    Yeah, the SDH subtitles on their DVDs.

Odex apparently used Jinbei, same as 4Kids. They also use "Seven Sea Warriors".

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Gum Gum IS translated. I think you mean localized. Also it is odd that in 4kids Different Models of any given fruit didnt exist. They were just given different names I think.
    Yeah, I'm losing focus. Gomu is the Japanese word for rubber. Gamu is the Japanese word for gum. Both 4Kids! and FUNimation used Gum-Gum for Luffy's devil fruit. I wonder if it was a requirement from Toei, or if it was done intentionally due to all of Luffy's attacks beginning with "Gum-Gum", and changing it would've messed up the lip flaps. Hearing Luffy yell out "Rubber-Rubber Pistol!!" all the time would sound silly. But I'm just used to Gum-Gum after all these years.

For some reason they still won't release a schedule for funimation con but we should be getting the one piece panel in 3-4 days. I know I said I wasn't holding my breath for announcements but god at this point I just really want a voyage 2 date lol.

They're doing a voice actor panel, one of the directors (Bowling, I think) confirmed on Twitter.
    Going broke while paying to fix your child's gigantism? M4A can help! Vote Bernie Sanders 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    Yeah, I'm losing focus. Gomu is the Japanese word for rubber. Gamu is the Japanese word for gum. Both 4Kids! and FUNimation used Gum-Gum for Luffy's devil fruit. I wonder if it was a requirement from Toei, or if it was done intentionally due to all of Luffy's attacks beginning with "Gum-Gum", and changing it would've messed up the lip flaps. Hearing Luffy yell out "Rubber-Rubber Pistol!!" all the time would sound silly. But I'm just used to Gum-Gum after all these years.
    I think they actually already run (ran?) into trouble with the lip flaps, because in the Japanese it's not just "Gomu-Gomu", it's "Gomu-Gom no [attack]", making just a straight "Gum-Gum" localization not match the lip flaps. That's why Funimation will have Luffy say "now" before a lot of his attacks in the dub, because it helps them match up to the lip flaps better.

Oddly he does the say the "Now" when his mouth cannot be seen in at least one scene! Oro Jackson, back when it was online despised Funimation for doing the Now "all the time".

I dont mind at all. This is still the highlight of both the anime and the dub.

One Piece Voice Actor Q&A | 7 p.m. CT | Room 1
    Join our host Josellie Rios as she talks with the dub cast and crew about the latest One Piece dub episodes and how recording from home is working. Featuring a panel of five voice actors and three ADR/voice directors.

--

Swell. Sounds like they're still trying to record DR from home! That's great news! I was working under the impression that it was stalled.

...that said, now it makes even less sense that they slowed down releases. It's a Q&A, so any one of us can ask about the release schedule.

I'm sure it's still been an ordeal but that's great news
    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Great news - let's see if they shock us all and announce the next voyage.

Yeah I just saw that, it"s really reassuring and surprising that they're recording it from home. Honestly given how slow it's been and how expensive it would be to all have the proper equipment I wouldve figured it would be more or less impossible so the fact that its that much of a priority still. But yeah like Zephray said its even more baffling why the haven't released more of the finished eps by now. Probably Toei being overly difficult like always if I had to guess, even if I don't know what over.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, odd that they didn't name what VA's when they listed all particpants for the other panels. Although probably gonna predtictabley be the straw hats and maybe caesar or something. Also also, on the schedule it says theres gonna be a half hour behind the scenes bonus thing before it, which is interesting.

I'll be thankful for any news. Hell, I'm thankful that they told us they're still working on it from home. All of us assumed it was on indefinite pause, so this is wonderful news.

And despite all the release schedule frustrations, their getting so far ahead in the dubbing is only a good thing; it means it'll all come out eventually, even if slower than we'd like. And if they end up with a 100, 200 episode backlog, I can't imagine they'd just sit on the episodes without doing some sort of speed-up, if temporarily. Having the three directors working on this, even prioritizing it while working from home during a pandemic, tells me they're more serious about catching up than they ever have been. So that's all good news. I feel bi-polar with these people, swapping from infuriated to excited constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    I'll be thankful for any news. Hell, I'm thankful that they told us they're still working on it from home. All of us assumed it was on indefinite pause, so this is wonderful news.

And despite all the release schedule frustrations, their getting so far ahead in the dubbing is only a good thing; it means it'll all come out eventually, even if slower than we'd like. And if they end up with a 100, 200 episode backlog, I can't imagine they'd just sit on the episodes without doing some sort of speed-up, if temporarily. Having the three directors working on this, even prioritizing it while working from home during a pandemic, tells me they're more serious about catching up than they ever have been. So that's all good news. I feel bi-polar with these people, swapping from infuriated to excited constantly.
    Yeah I get you, I'm really just curious how quick the process is. Cuz like considering how slow other shows are with smaller cast, I hardly see the point of dubbng one piece from home. My dream would be that one piece is the top priority and other shows are taking longer because of it, but I HIGHLY doubt that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information