+ Reply to Thread
Page 197 of 212 FirstFirst ... 97 147 187 195 196 197 198 199 207 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 4226

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

  1. #3921

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    For the same reason there was a bidding war for it after 4KIDS considered it "unsuccessful."

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Note: I didn't mean to argue that VIZ was a better dubbing company than Funimation. What I meant to argue was that VIZ slowly dubbing OP would be better than Funimation not dubbing the show at all.
    Even that's not guaranteed though, because Viz has halted production on several of their dubs in the past - and continued to hold onto the rights of said shows for years whilst doing absolutely nothing with them. One blip in sales and that's all it would take for OP to fall into their graveyard catalog.

    Netflix wouldn't be much better as I've mentioned before, and would likely screw things up royally (bad translations, missing music, no physical releases, zero promotion, etc.). With Aniplex you'd have to sell your left kidney just to buy one set. So let's just hope and pray Funi gets it together soon.

  2. #3922
    I exist...I guess....
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    A place

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    For the same reason there was a bidding war for it after 4KIDS considered it "unsuccessful."
    The 4kids dub was well known for being an incompetent, poorly done dub, so Toei and Funimation knew there might be potential for a possible “second chance”. And it’s not just Funimation; Toonami also tried to give it another chance, and that didn’t work out. If Funi drops it than One Piece would have screwed up multiple chances for an english dub to be any sort of success. If even a more competently made dub couldn’t prove to be successful why would a different company see any more potential in it? They would only view dubbed One Piece as being synonymous with failure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Note: I didn't mean to argue that VIZ was a better dubbing company than Funimation. What I meant to argue was that VIZ slowly dubbing OP would be better than Funimation not dubbing the show at all.
    1. Them “not dubbing the show at all” isn’t going to be true no matter how many times you say it
    2. You are operating under the presumption that changing dubbing companies will automatically fix the problem and not just run into the same issues (and I have not seen enough to suggest Viz would be much better).

  3. #3923

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Notice my word choice. “The show.” They haven’t dubbed the show in coming on two years. The specials have been better than nothing, but they don’t compare to the show.

    For number two, you’re putting too many words in my mouth to address. I didn’t say anything about VIZ being perfect, only that—theoretically speaking—I prefer a dub with another company more than no dub at all. I’m not saying anything about how effective VIZ would be.

    I’m betting if Funimation dropped it, someone would pick it up. The show was never a “failure,” and other companies may have different margins or strategies that make it more financially stable. Who knows. We have no evidence either way on this, so it’s all just speculation and not worth arguing about.

    Obviously I would vastly prefer to Funimation to have and dub the property. All I was saying, which shouldn't have been such a controversial statement, was that if Funimation cancelled the show, I hope someone else would pick it up. Because a lackluster dub at VIZ or wherever is better than no dub at all.

  4. #3924

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Notice my word choice. “The show.” They haven’t dubbed the show in coming on two years. The specials have been better than nothing, but they don’t compare to the show.
    I'm not totally sure I agree. The average anime viewer is definitely more likely to enjoy a movie or special than the full uncut version of Dressrosa.

    What we really need Funimation to do is strike a deal with Toei to create an official One Piece Kai project and simuldub that.
    I don't know if Toei's aware of One Pace, but Funimation must be, and it's blindingly obvious that a well-edited version of the series is the only reasonable way to watch the post-timeskip arcs.

  5. #3925
    Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    At a desk, making something

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I'm not totally sure I agree. The average anime viewer is definitely more likely to enjoy a movie or special than the full uncut version of Dressrosa.
    This is exactly why I'm not too upset we still don't have Season 10 yet (though I am upset). I'm happy we're getting the specials and I'm hoping this trend leads to dubbing more movies, because, as I said before, I really really really want an official legal way to watch Baron Omatsuri Movie 6, and preferably dubbed

  6. #3926

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I'm not totally sure I agree. The average anime viewer is definitely more likely to enjoy a movie or special than the full uncut version of Dressrosa.

    What we really need Funimation to do is strike a deal with Toei to create an official One Piece Kai project and simuldub that.
    I don't know if Toei's aware of One Pace, but Funimation must be, and it's blindingly obvious that a well-edited version of the series is the only reasonable way to watch the post-timeskip arcs.
    I suppose it depends on the metric we’re talking. What the “casual/average anime viewer” would prefer is only one metric. Even if the content of Dressrosa isn't as top-tier quality as a movie, I'd like to think that most people would prefer two dozen hours (whole arc) of dubbed anime to two hours (movie), if you're comparing them like that.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik Dynomite View Post
    This is exactly why I'm not too upset we still don't have Season 10 yet (though I am upset). I'm happy we're getting the specials and I'm hoping this trend leads to dubbing more movies, because, as I said before, I really really really want an official legal way to watch Baron Omatsuri Movie 6, and preferably dubbed
    With the exception of Stampede, they haven’t gone out of their way to license anything new. So I wouldn’t get your hopes up for movie six. That movie is the top of my (and most folks’) list for works we want dubbed outside of the show itself.

    But here’s hoping they announce everything we could ever dream of on the anniversary: old movies, season ten, and (most important to me) a Simuldub. ...pffft

    On the bright side, EPISODE OF EAST BLUE comes out in just a few days—this Tuesday. It’ll be fun to go down memory lane, though I can’t imagine how they stuffed all that content into two hours. There’s a 1-hour documentary about the beginnings of OP to celebrate the anniversary on the Blu-ray. What’re the odds they’ll mention something about the future of the series?
    Last edited by Zephray; September 18th, 2019 at 09:24 AM.

  7. #3927
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I'm not totally sure I agree. The average anime viewer is definitely more likely to enjoy a movie or special than the full uncut version of Dressrosa.

    What we really need Funimation to do is strike a deal with Toei to create an official One Piece Kai project and simuldub that.
    I don't know if Toei's aware of One Pace, but Funimation must be, and it's blindingly obvious that a well-edited version of the series is the only reasonable way to watch the post-timeskip arcs.
    It'd be nice, but the cost per set would likely remain the same: I don't see Toei going for trimmed episodes unless they made their initial money first.



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  8. #3928

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Dub showings of Stampede are on the 26th and 30th

    https://twitter.com/OnePiecePodcast/...08425452834816

  9. #3929

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Truly shows how Funimation does not care about One Piece dub. It would be more popular if they actually promoted it properly.

  10. #3930

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Well, it's still too early into the announcement to say that. But it does show that their priorities are with the subbed version--there are three of those and only two dubbed showings.

  11. #3931

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Dubs in general are declining in popularity.

  12. #3932

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    I could get behind a One Piece Kai so long as it was somehow post-timeskip only. It'd basically just turn post-timeskip one piece into normal one piece. Although, I only really think Dressrosa needs it.

    A Kai for the pre-timeskip would be a travesty and suck so much of the fun and soul out of One Piece, just like it did with DBZ.

  13. #3933

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    Truly shows how Funimation does not care about One Piece dub. It would be more popular if they actually promoted it properly.
    Agree about the lackluster promotion. However, we don't know what kind of holdup happened that made the wait so long in the first place. The next big convention is New York Comic Con. Maybe there will be some decent promotion there.
    It's not uncommon for Funimation to expand screenings if demand is high so I'm holding out hope for that.

  14. #3934

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    They highlight October 20th as being the OP Anniversary--it's noted on their marathoning. So let's assume that's when news will break.

  15. #3935

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Agree about the lackluster promotion. However, we don't know what kind of holdup happened that made the wait so long in the first place. The next big convention is New York Comic Con. Maybe there will be some decent promotion there.
    It's not uncommon for Funimation to expand screenings if demand is high so I'm holding out hope for that.
    The lack of dub screenings tells me that gold didn't do well for them when it got released. Also, A lot fans complained about the dub release only, which makes them think that the dub doesn't have a big audience in the U.S

  16. #3936

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    I wanted to say that but didnt because Im a coward. THANK YOU!

  17. #3937

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    The lack of dub screenings tells me that gold didn't do well for them when it got released. Also, A lot fans complained about the dub release only, which makes them think that the dub doesn't have a big audience in the U.S
    yeah, I'm kinda shocked by this. Is it normal when a a dub get released the same time as a Japanese version, for the Japanese version to have more screenings in Japan?
    I made this terrible username 8 years ago!

  18. #3938

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    I’ll do my part and see it both showings. I did that with Film Gold. The theater was near empty both times even though I live in a big city.

  19. #3939
    I exist...I guess....
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    A place

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    The lack of dub screenings tells me that gold didn't do well for them when it got released. Also, A lot fans complained about the dub release only, which makes them think that the dub doesn't have a big audience in the U.S
    By this logic why would they have bothered with dubbed screenings at all? Just seems more likely that they realized that having its full showing be dub-only was a mistake and made it a mix of dubbed and subbed showings.

    The subbed screenings go for only one more day than the dubbed version and the dub seems to have the better premiere date (since it’s the only version during the weekend, when people are generally more likely to go out to the theaters). It doesn’t really seem like the dub is that lacking when compared to the sub here nor do I see this being indicative of the narrative you have here.

  20. #3940
    Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    At a desk, making something

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Yeah the sub might have 3 showings, but the Dub is on Saturday, which is important

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 5 guests)

  1. Shift
  2. Slappy402
  3. StrawHat96

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts