+ Reply to Thread
Page 174 of 185 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 172 173 174 175 176 184 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 3697

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

  1. #3461
    I exist...I guess....
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    A place

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSno4vLnso

    Around 53.20 (and briefly mentioned at around 45.55)

  2. #3462

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Hmmm, well I guess thats a good sign that they're releasing it even if the dub of the anime itself is still held up. Hopefully that means that the dub continuing in the fall, probably in October, is indeed true
    Last edited by TheGreatCaptainUsopp; May 23rd, 2019 at 09:16 PM.

  3. #3463

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Ugh. So this means we’re more likely to get Episode of East Blue in September than season ten. Even more opportunities for them to delay.

  4. #3464

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Episode of East Blue might end up being the first Funi One Piece Blu-ray that I just don't bother with. Two of the five segments had already been given the "Episode of" treatment in dedicated specials and four had their stories cut to shreds to fit in the tiny runtime they were given. Granted, I have to pay extra for these things because of international shipping and import taxes, so I'm not the audience that Funi is actually looking for.
    When it came out I watched it on Crunchyroll via a proxy, so I guess it's subjective weather or not that counts as watching it officially or not.

    Shudders. Who's ready for an Episode of Sky Island dub in November? At least I've got Nebulandia to look forward to, which I remember enjoying.

  5. #3465

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    I wish they'd go back and dub the earlier movies and TV specials.

    Jango's Dance Carnival deserves a dub.

  6. #3466

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I wish they'd go back and dub the earlier movies and TV specials.

    Jango's Dance Carnival deserves a dub.
    Yesssssssss. Haha. Thatd be great fun.

    For whatever reason, it’s easier for them to acquire dubbing rights for newer stuff; acquiring the simulcast rights first eases the process of acquiring dubbing rights, for some reason. Otherwise, they’d be doing plenty of old specials and movies long before East Blue.

    I’d be okay with a six month break after season ten where they switch to releasing a movie every month or so. That would be a fine break in between seasons.

  7. #3467
    Discovered Stowaway Moriah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oregon

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    I want to apologize ahead of time if I come off as a bit too optimistic about the dub continuing. As Krupp said in an earlier post "don't be like Roman Mack" and more recently ProjectRevolt2019 (who was likely Roman Mack, since after they joined the forum they immediately started posting in this thread in manner similar to Roman Mack). Unlike RM I won't insult people for legitimately worrying about the dub (especially considering the fact that Funimation hasn't made any recent announcements about the main series).

    I do have to wonder if in order to get 3D2Y and Nebulandia, Funimation had to license Episode of East Blue as a package deal (I read somewhere when they initially licensed the series, Movie 8 was also part of the deal). And Toei is having Funimation release them rather than sit on ones that might not be big seller on DVD (Episode of East Blue), before they can release more episodes on DVD.

  8. #3468

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    I very much believe this is on Toei's end and is not out of a lack of interest/sales for Funimation. Toei's been playing this game of being needlessly difficult with their licenses for years, not just with One Piece but with Dragonball as well. Like this feels like it did when Funi couldn't get the rights for Water 7 and beyond, or how there was a three year gap in-between the Japanese release of Kai 2.0 and Funimation announcing they had the rights/were dubbing it, in spite of the fact that we had confirmation from voice actors that the dub had been recorded way earlier. Funimation going ahead and dubbing Punk Hazard and then not releasing it screams 'Toei's doing their same ol' shit' to me.

    Why would they go through the process of writing the dub's script for Punk Hazard, getting the voice actors in the booth (which a considerably bigger task than it used to be considering some the cast don't live in Dallas/Fort Worth anymore) for multiple sessions, when they don't have plans to continue releasing the series past Fishman Island?

  9. #3469
    Discovered Stowaway Moriah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oregon

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    I very much believe this is on Toei's end and is not out of a lack of interest/sales for Funimation. Toei's been playing this game of being needlessly difficult with their licenses for years, not just with One Piece but with Dragonball as well. Like this feels like it did when Funi couldn't get the rights for Water 7 and beyond, or how there was a three year gap in-between the Japanese release of Kai 2.0 and Funimation announcing they had the rights/were dubbing it, in spite of the fact that we had confirmation from voice actors that the dub had been recorded way earlier. Funimation going ahead and dubbing Punk Hazard and then not releasing it screams 'Toei's doing their same ol' shit' to me.

    Why would they go through the process of writing the dub's script for Punk Hazard, getting the voice actors in the booth (which a considerably bigger task than it used to be considering some the cast don't live in Dallas/Fort Worth anymore) for multiple sessions, when they don't have plans to continue releasing the series past Fishman Island?
    I've heard this from previous posts on this and other sites about Toei being a notoriously difficult company to work with for foreign distributors. But why is that? It seems like other studios know when they license a property to a foreign distributor it's kinda out of their hands to what another company does with it. They might retain some control, such as approving the dub cast, but that might be about it. I can't find an article that details Toei relationship with other companies, aside from a page on the Transformers Wiki, which says the reason that Funi was able to get Dragon Ball and One Piece to begin with was due to fact that Gen Fukunaga's uncle was a producer for the company in the past and that other companies attempted to make an offer to license Sailor Moon, but refused until Viz (which is owned by three Japanese companies: Shueisha, Shogakukan, and ShoPro respectively) made the offer.

    The only other studio that I heard was kind of difficult to work with was Sunrise, but that only seems to be in regards to Gundam, specifically when a company dubs one of them (with one saying that a representative from Sunrise sits in on the dubbing session).

  10. #3470

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    I've heard this from previous posts on this and other sites about Toei being a notoriously difficult company to work with for foreign distributors. But why is that? It seems like other studios know when they license a property to a foreign distributor it's kinda out of their hands to what another company does with it. They might retain some control, such as approving the dub cast, but that might be about it. I can't find an article that details Toei relationship with other companies, aside from a page on the Transformers Wiki, which says the reason that Funi was able to get Dragon Ball and One Piece to begin with was due to fact that Gen Fukunaga's uncle was a producer for the company in the past and that other companies attempted to make an offer to license Sailor Moon, but refused until Viz (which is owned by three Japanese companies: Shueisha, Shogakukan, and ShoPro respectively) made the offer.

    The only other studio that I heard was kind of difficult to work with was Sunrise, but that only seems to be in regards to Gundam, specifically when a company dubs one of them (with one saying that a representative from Sunrise sits in on the dubbing session).
    It's really impossible for us to know for sure, I guess. But that seems to be the case based on the pattern of behavior regarding Toei and the handling of their properties overseas. I can't imagine Funimation particularly wants to sit on dubbed Dragonball content for multiple years at a time because it basically prints money, and there isn't any benefit to holding out for so long. As you mentioned, Sailor Moon, one of Toei's most profitable franchises and one with an established US fanbase, was unlicensed for a long time until Viz picked it up a few years back. But, like you also mention, that also wasn't from a lack of trying from other companies including Funimation. Properties like Dragonball and Sailor Moon, and to a lesser extent One Piece, are pretty safe money, but for all three there have been multiple stretches of time where new material, groups of episodes, or even entire series go unlicensed for seemingly no reason.

    Something else I thought about while writing all of this is the difficulty Toei themselves have had in the past with licensing their properties. Dragonball and One Piece, two of their biggest properties, both went through some growing pains in the US before settling in. Like Dragonball had the Harmony Gold dub back in the 80's, then they tried to relaunch it in the mid 90's with the Ocean dub (which even then floated around in syndication until Cartoon Network picked it up), then it finally settled into the in-house Funimation dub we know today. I mean, I'm not sure if all of that negatively impacted the series' popularity since it was a 'right place, right time' kinda situation when it took off, but I'd imagine Toei's management did not like seeing a series that had a lot of potential popularity in US markets fall on its face twice over the course of a decade. And obviously 4Kids One Piece exists, which handicapped the series and damaged the brand in the US for years. And I can't speak the DIC dub for Sailor Moon, but I think it's telling that getting your hands on a copy of it now requires some digging and shelling out the money for out-of-print DVDs. Toei's been burned by companies mismanaging their properties in the US, and I think what we're seeing now is them exercising a tighter grip on their properties. That's just my two cents anyway.

  11. #3471
    Discovered Stowaway MarcelloF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    I very much believe this is on Toei's end and is not out of a lack of interest/sales for Funimation. Toei's been playing this game of being needlessly difficult with their licenses for years, not just with One Piece but with Dragonball as well. Like this feels like it did when Funi couldn't get the rights for Water 7 and beyond, or how there was a three year gap in-between the Japanese release of Kai 2.0 and Funimation announcing they had the rights/were dubbing it, in spite of the fact that we had confirmation from voice actors that the dub had been recorded way earlier. Funimation going ahead and dubbing Punk Hazard and then not releasing it screams 'Toei's doing their same ol' shit' to me.

    Why would they go through the process of writing the dub's script for Punk Hazard, getting the voice actors in the booth (which a considerably bigger task than it used to be considering some the cast don't live in Dallas/Fort Worth anymore) for multiple sessions, when they don't have plans to continue releasing the series past Fishman Island?
    It's possible, but here in Germany we're starting Dressrosa in less than a week. So others haven been able to license past Fishman Island.

    3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

  12. #3472

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Remember Italy, they started before Germany and are still being screwed over by Toei. They are at the EXACT Same point Funi is IIRC.

  13. #3473

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    IIRC, the Korean dub of One Piece is a simuldub. The company that produces it only work on One Piece though, as Simuldubs aren't common place over there. So Toei clearly don't have an issue with certain territories - I can't remember who the company is, but do recall that they don't dub anything else.

  14. #3474

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Dont forget Thailand! I think they, before Korea, had the dub closest to the Japanese.

  15. #3475

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    It's really impossible for us to know for sure, I guess. But that seems to be the case based on the pattern of behavior regarding Toei and the handling of their properties overseas. I can't imagine Funimation particularly wants to sit on dubbed Dragonball content for multiple years at a time because it basically prints money, and there isn't any benefit to holding out for so long. As you mentioned, Sailor Moon, one of Toei's most profitable franchises and one with an established US fanbase, was unlicensed for a long time until Viz picked it up a few years back. But, like you also mention, that also wasn't from a lack of trying from other companies including Funimation. Properties like Dragonball and Sailor Moon, and to a lesser extent One Piece, are pretty safe money, but for all three there have been multiple stretches of time where new material, groups of episodes, or even entire series go unlicensed for seemingly no reason.

    Something else I thought about while writing all of this is the difficulty Toei themselves have had in the past with licensing their properties. Dragonball and One Piece, two of their biggest properties, both went through some growing pains in the US before settling in. Like Dragonball had the Harmony Gold dub back in the 80's, then they tried to relaunch it in the mid 90's with the Ocean dub (which even then floated around in syndication until Cartoon Network picked it up), then it finally settled into the in-house Funimation dub we know today. I mean, I'm not sure if all of that negatively impacted the series' popularity since it was a 'right place, right time' kinda situation when it took off, but I'd imagine Toei's management did not like seeing a series that had a lot of potential popularity in US markets fall on its face twice over the course of a decade. And obviously 4Kids One Piece exists, which handicapped the series and damaged the brand in the US for years. And I can't speak the DIC dub for Sailor Moon, but I think it's telling that getting your hands on a copy of it now requires some digging and shelling out the money for out-of-print DVDs. Toei's been burned by companies mismanaging their properties in the US, and I think what we're seeing now is them exercising a tighter grip on their properties. That's just my two cents anyway.
    4KIDS didn’t just hurt the brand for a few years. Most people who watched Dragonball tried it when it was on and now hate it. There’s a lot of OP hate that originated with the terrible dub

  16. #3476

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    4KIDS didn’t just hurt the brand for a few years. Most people who watched Dragonball tried it when it was on and now hate it. There’s a lot of OP hate that originated with the terrible dub
    Oh for sure, the 4Kids dub handicapped One Piece's popularity from the onset, especially with how the industry in America worked in the mid 2000's. But we're 13 years removed from 4Kids having the rights to the series, and I think that 4Kids is mostly regarded as a strange footnote in the series history in the US. Like the rise of simulcasts and streaming, and the end of major competition like Naruto and Bleach have really helped One Piece's reputation recover in the states I think. Like I think dubs in general don't have as much of an impact on if a series takes off here because anime in the states has moved away from television, where it needs a dub to reach a wider audience, to streaming on a service like Crunchyroll with subtitles. Anime doesn't ride so much on the back of decent quality dubs anymore, it's more about convenience and availability through streaming. It's also worth considering how anime in general has become more mainstream in the 2010's. This is all mostly conjecture, but anecdotally I've had a lot of people I know in real life get into One Piece over the past year and half/two years. Like on the ground, I've never encountered more One Piece fans. I think that the easy availability of it now thanks to streaming combined with a gap left by Naruto and Bleach and positive word of mouth from existing fans who are caught up (especially in the past few years during arcs like Whole Cake and now Wano)

    I usually try to steer away from the idea that 4Kids permanently hurt the series. People forget. 13 years, a hard rebrand, and a change in the way the US consumes anime I think have been enough to push the 4Kids dub out of the collective conscious and reset One Piece back to zero at least.
    Last edited by JDub; May 25th, 2019 at 09:05 AM.

  17. #3477

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    I’m not sure I agree, but it’s impossible to gauge this sort of thing. In my experience, the average anime fan tried OP back when 4KIDS had it—back when everyone in our age group was getting into anime—and most people didn’t like it and have kept their impression.

  18. #3478
    Discovered Stowaway Moriah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oregon

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    It's really impossible for us to know for sure, I guess. But that seems to be the case based on the pattern of behavior regarding Toei and the handling of their properties overseas. I can't imagine Funimation particularly wants to sit on dubbed Dragonball content for multiple years at a time because it basically prints money, and there isn't any benefit to holding out for so long. As you mentioned, Sailor Moon, one of Toei's most profitable franchises and one with an established US fanbase, was unlicensed for a long time until Viz picked it up a few years back. But, like you also mention, that also wasn't from a lack of trying from other companies including Funimation. Properties like Dragonball and Sailor Moon, and to a lesser extent One Piece, are pretty safe money, but for all three there have been multiple stretches of time where new material, groups of episodes, or even entire series go unlicensed for seemingly no reason.

    Something else I thought about while writing all of this is the difficulty Toei themselves have had in the past with licensing their properties. Dragonball and One Piece, two of their biggest properties, both went through some growing pains in the US before settling in. Like Dragonball had the Harmony Gold dub back in the 80's, then they tried to relaunch it in the mid 90's with the Ocean dub (which even then floated around in syndication until Cartoon Network picked it up), then it finally settled into the in-house Funimation dub we know today. I mean, I'm not sure if all of that negatively impacted the series' popularity since it was a 'right place, right time' kinda situation when it took off, but I'd imagine Toei's management did not like seeing a series that had a lot of potential popularity in US markets fall on its face twice over the course of a decade. And obviously 4Kids One Piece exists, which handicapped the series and damaged the brand in the US for years. And I can't speak the DIC dub for Sailor Moon, but I think it's telling that getting your hands on a copy of it now requires some digging and shelling out the money for out-of-print DVDs. Toei's been burned by companies mismanaging their properties in the US, and I think what we're seeing now is them exercising a tighter grip on their properties. That's just my two cents anyway.
    Thank you for shedding some more light on the topic. It does seem odd that Toei relationship with Funimation is somewhat complicated (I can't think of an actual word to properly describe their relationship), considering that Funimation has yet to actually burn them in regards to their properties, unless that Rock the Dragon Collection was something Toei didn't approve of. From what I've read on the Funimation's forum it seems that Toei wants to them to prioritize Dragon Ball Super over One Piece, which granted from Toei's point of view makes sense considering Dragon Ball is more well known than One Piece in North America.

    As to your earlier comment about some of Funimation's voice actors not living near the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I don't that's really problem (at least in the voice acting community) considering the number of voice actors that have done voice over work in Texas, California, and New York, such as Matt Mercer, Cherami Leigh, Michael Sinterniklaas, Laura Bailey, Bryce Papenbrook, etc. (granted examples I listed are mostly Texas and California). Something like a live-action series, especially one that's been revived after being cancelled for a number of years, is a bit more difficult. Since the original actors for the show will have likely moved on to different projects in-between the show's cancellation to it's revival, which is why Netflix's initial season for the continuation of Arrested Development had episodes focusing on one or two of the main characters (before they re-cut that season) and why Community ultimately ended after season six.

    And maybe I reading to much into it, but I think another sign that Funimation is not cancelling the dub, is the special features present on their latest releases (such as behind the scenes stuff and interviews with the voice actors). If they were cancelling the dub I'd think their recent releases would be a very bare bones release with just the special itself and possibly trailers as the only special feature. It wouldn't make much sense for them to put more effort into something they were planning to drop.

  19. #3479

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Oh, I'm not saying that Funimation getting VA's to come in from out of town is a particularly difficult task. They've been doing it for years at this point. I'm just saying that it does require a bit more effort and scheduling on their end, and doesn't seem like something you'd do for a series that you have no intention of continuing. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

    But yeah, I agree to your point about the special features. Like it seems to me that, based on the way Funimation talks about and treats the property, it's something that they are very actively and visibly putting effort into. Idk maybe we'll be proven wrong. But I think Toei's just up to their semi-regular tricks again.

  20. #3480

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Yeah I don’t believe any rumor of the dub being cancelled. For multiple reasons:

    1.) Why would they wait to make an announcement “soon”? If the rumor was true and FUNimation was going to leave people in the dark and not say why they were canceling the dub it seems pretty redundant they would wait at all to do it. Also I can’t see them making an announcement like that and *not* giving some sort of explanation. It’d be quite ridiculous if they made an announcement of that magnitude just a single sentence and nothing beyond that.Also it’s been over a week now so unless FUNi’s definition of soon extends beyond 10+ days there’s no announcement coming.

    2.) As mentioned a great number of times they’ve already got a good chunk if not all of Season 10 dubbed already. I understand there’s nothing stopping the powers that be keeping it from coming out if they wanted to, but all signs in that department point toward the dub still being in production even if it’s moving at a snails pace, or even at all right now.

    3.) The VA’s all talk about it on twitter like its still going on. It would seem strange for them to talk about a show like they were just in the booth with it yesterday if it were over for them. It could be true that they have no idea either but if the rumor’s originator’s alleged source, a voice actor, is in the know I can’t see the main cast not being either.

    So yeah, I think it’s highly unlikely the dub is flat-out cancelled. No way to know for sure, but if they cancelled the dub I would be legitimately surprised.

    Also Episode of East Blue coming out this fall (most likely September) doesn’t come as a surprise. I still think they’re going to round out 2019 by releasing Episode of East Blue in September and Episode of Skypiea in December but announce the new season around the anniversary. Or maybe they’ll bless us with a new season in the fall along with the specials, that would be pretty dope.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Zephray

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts