+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 226 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 169 170 171 172 173 181 221 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 4512

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Sad if true, but Toei's recent IR report mentioned that they intend to release Stampede worldwide this year so I hope Toei will self distribute at the very least if this pans out

To play devil's advocate a bit, Mob Psycho is a lower profile series. One Piece is the equivalent of a AAA title for Toei who is also the stingiest licensor there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    You just said it was due to low sales. You contradicted yourself.
    That's not what I meant. Yes, it's due to low sales, but I said the announcement won't say exactly why it's cancelled when the time comes. The low sales information will be withheld.

At least that's what the source says anyway.
    Last edited by Mikey D. Luffy; May 13th, 2019 at 06:05 PM.

I really really really hope that if the worst DOES come to happen, Netflix OR someone else will take over.

Honestly, it's hard for most people to stomach the anime in its original form beyond Enies Lobby.

Toei needs to start producing Kai versions of the post-timeskip arcs ASAP.

Another thing is that Funimation has released multiple DVDs for the series. If sales were low to begin with then why did they go to the trouble to dub 574 episodes, three movies, and the TV Specials? Normally when Funimation cancels a dub they usually do it after they release two or three seasons (i.e. Toriko, Sergeant Frog, and Shin-chan). Also it seems odd that they would cancel series after hyping it's 30th anniversary and starting a new podcast centered around said series.

FUNi still seems to be pushing the anime's 20th anniversary so I don't know if they would care to for an anime that they weren't dubbing anymore since they're primarily a dubbing company but *shrugs*. I'd say I care but honestly, the silence from both parties for a year now has gotten extremely old and is an extreme disservice to the fans who have been asking for more and more One Piece, especially when they reassured fans that they were working on getting more. I hope Stampede gets released in North America through Toei themselves but this whole thing has been a huge disaster and has only served to kill my interest in the dub. I guess the sudden release of specials that they've had dubbed for years should have been a sign, though I pray that a return in the fall is still what we're looking towards and not a drop of the dub altogether

There's lots of things that probably contributed-- high episode count, decline in quality over time, and the dub being so far behind are probably the reason. One bad arc isn't going to be what made Funimation cancel the show. This has probably been going on for some time now, and it must have been a really hard decision to pull the plug.

Still though! 574 episodes is a major feat and we're lucky we got as much as we did. Funimation tried, they really did. The show as it is now is only really appropriate for Japanese TV and streaming in the west. That's just the consequence of the way we consume media evolving so rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Honestly, it's hard for most people to stomach the anime in its original form beyond Enies Lobby.

Toei needs to start producing Kai versions of the post-timeskip arcs ASAP.
    Yeah, this. To me the show has always been hard to watch after that. Once it got to Marineford I considered the show to be pretty much unwatchable.

Toei treats One Piece with a quantity over quality philosophy and it shows the farther you go in. If Funimation stops dubbing the show and chooses to go the Detective Conan route and just do movies (and specials) I would be fine with that.

You guys are still lucky. One Piece has pretty much dubbed everything GOOD AND OUTSTANDING already. Latin America seems like its going to just dub the specials and then dub the latest episodes...which sounds great until you realize the latter episodes are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I really really really hope that if the worst DOES come to happen, Netflix OR someone else will take over.
    I did see a video on Youtube by Tech Insider, saying that Netflix is licensing anime (or getting exclusive streaming rights to certain anime) in order to make up for fact that they're losing a lot of content due to Disney and Time Warner forming their own streaming services. But if that were to happen would they would try to reach a deal to make sure that the same voice actors stay on or will they change the cast entirely for episodes past the Fish-Man Island arc.

Why not just use the same cast? Surely Its inexpensive to keep since they arent unionized or anything.

It might be hard for another company to license One Piece to dub it. Surely Funimation isn't dropping the license because it's profitable on the streaming front, just not with the dub.

AFAIK the simulcast is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D. Luffy View Post
    It might be hard for another company to license One Piece to dub it. Surely Funimation isn't dropping the license because it's profitable on the streaming front, just not with the dub.

AFAIK the simulcast is still going strong.
    While I don't have a problem with subs in particular, it's a bit of a problem when the series is a 100+ episode anime. That's kind of a deal breaker for me especially since I like having anime on as background noise as I do other stuff. It wouldn't be a problem if I spoke and understood Japanese fluently. Also Sentai Filmworks tried sub only releases for anime with over 100 episodes, mainly Gintama and Eyeshield 21 and they stopped after releasing four DVDs if I recall correctly.

Also it seems like ProjectRevolt2019 is banned, I have guess they were probably an alternate Roman Mack account to get around his current ban for pretty much what ProjectRevolt2019 was saying in the first place.

I never minded Luffy's voice in the Funi dub since it's what I heard first (well, second if I count 4kids Luffy,) plus I love Colleen's battle screams, but if another company ever got the series, I'm almost curious to see if they'd try to recast Luffy with someone who sounds closer to Japanese Luffy, or do something entirely different like Funi did with Edward Elric/ Adult Goku and get a guy to voice Luffy instead. Just rambling, but Luffys voice always did seem to be a hot button issue on every dub video on Youtube for one thing, which kinda sucked considering he's the protag of the whole show.

Still, this is all hypothetical/ rumor and I hope it isn't actually cancelled. The above ramblings were just sort of a what-if "might as well speculate what comes next if things come to that" type of thing.

One thing's for sure, dubbed openings would probably be a thing of the past; well, more than they already have been, as other companies probably wouldn't go that extra mile even if Toei said it was ok to do so again.
    New World is best world.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    I did see a video on Youtube by Tech Insider, saying that Netflix is licensing anime (or getting exclusive streaming rights to certain anime) in order to make up for fact that they're losing a lot of content due to Disney and Time Warner forming their own streaming services. But if that were to happen would they would try to reach a deal to make sure that the same voice actors stay on or will they change the cast entirely for episodes past the Fish-Man Island arc.
    It's very possible that Netflix will want to invest in the One Piece anime if the live action show succeeds.

Well, 12 years is a pretty good run for any show. I dunno what to think if it really is the end of the dub, but at least the good stuff was given the respect it deserves after 4Kids mangled it. Hope some happier news comes around...

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Even if they did stop dubbing the series, I'd at least want them to try continuing the home video releases as they've already translated them (I'd want the simulcast on a disc, basically); I don't think Funi does subtitled-only BDs, though. I wonder if a subtitled release would be more viable in countries that never got the simulcast.

It still seems weird (to me at least) to get through Fishman Island first before possibly dropping the series, rather than stop at the timeskip, if sales were really that low.
    But I guess Funi's and Sony's bean-counters have different ideas of "low".

Hopefully, if it's only the specials and films that get released from now on, they put out the older films. I'd love to replace those pretty terrible sets they released here in the UK.

I think we’re putting too much stock in this rumor. They’ve dubbed season ten. They just made a podcast to celebrate the series and still advertise it. They’re not going to say, “Happy anniversary, One Piece fans! It’s cancelled!”

I’d put more stock in the Funimation representative that told someone it’ll come in Fall than a voice actor who has “some connections in the industry.”

Also, there are hundreds of people that comment on their Facebook requesting more dubbed episodes all the time. And Funimation has two lines of releases (voyages and collections), which they don’t do with shows that do poorly (not counting their discounted, cheap line of stuff).

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Everyone over at Funimation loves the property. I’d be surprised if they dropped it. Has anyone grilled OPP lately?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information