+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,032: Oden's Beloved Blade

Default Re: Chapter 1032: Oden's Beloved Blade

Chapter is good, but it feels like a mid-volume chapter, one that is designed to be connective tissue to whatever big moment is gonna end the volume.

Default Re: Chapter 1032: Oden's Beloved Blade

The CP0 chasing Robin and Brook getting separated from them by the fire monster Kanjuro created and ending up fighting Apoo and Drake who were chasing Yamato is the kind of hilariously convoluted set-up that makes it silly to even try to predict where any subplot is heading.

Default Re: Chapter 1,032: Oden's Beloved Blade

I'd rather see those goons fight supernovas instead of Robin and Brook. As I said on the spoiler thread : I wanna see what the CD minions -the same ones who supposedly made Teach and his crew run away- are capable of. But I guess all of that will be cut
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Hmmm... I know it's not in line with the current discussion but-

Zoro's attack on King when he damaged his mask was off screen wasn't it? I'm having trouble remembering if he had done anything "special" to actually deal damage to him. Since Zoro was able to cut through and off a piece of King's mask back then, it's really just a matter of figuring out how to go about it again.
    Last edited by Shift; November 21st, 2021 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    I'd rather see those goons fight supernovas instead of Robin and Brook. As I said on the spoiler thread : I wanna see what the CD minions -the same ones who supposedly made Teach and his crew run away- are capable of. But I guess all of that will be cut
    You mean Akainu?

If I were a character in One Piece I would run from that guy as well. As fodder, as top commander, hell even with Yonkou powers I would think thrice and then still flee. The stuff he did was just way too graphic for me.

Or are we talking about another incident? I don't remember Teach ever clashing with CP agents.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

I never gave the Numbers much thought, so I was mildly surprised to see Fuga is a centaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster Goose View Post

Zoro's attack on King when he damaged his mask was off screen wasn't it? I'm having trouble remembering if he had done anything "special" to actually deal damage to him. Since Zoro was able to cut through and off a piece of King's mask back then, it's really just a matter of figuring out how to go about it again.
    Cutting King's mask isn't the same thing as cutting King himself, so hard to say if that will help.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    You mean Akainu?

If I were a character in One Piece I would run from that guy as well. As fodder, as top commander, hell even with Yonkou powers I would think thrice and then still flee. The stuff he did was just way too graphic for me.

Or are we talking about another incident? I don't remember Teach ever clashing with CP agents.
    I'm not talking about the moment when Jewelry Bonney was captured. But about the "Baltigo incident" that has been off-screened. IIRC, Dragon and Sabo were there, Teach and Co showed up, the revolutionaries ran away and then the CP0 minions showed up AND THEN Teach and Co. ran away.

Depending on how many they were and the non-importance of the fight, I understand why Dragon retreated. But Teach, is he that much of a coward or are there people as strong (or stronger) as Marco in the CP0 ?
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    I'm not talking about the moment when Jewelry Bonney was captured. But about the "Baltigo incident" that has been off-screened. IIRC, Dragon and Sabo were there, Teach and Co showed up, the revolutionaries ran away and then the CP0 minions showed up AND THEN Teach and Co. ran away.

Depending on how many they were and the non-importance of the fight, I understand why Dragon retreated. But Teach, is he that much of a coward or are there people as strong (or stronger) as Marco in the CP0 ?
    Ohh, good point.

I completely forgot he retreated there as well....

I hope Apoo gets wrecked by CP-0, they need some proper hype to show them off as a real threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster Goose View Post

It was onscreen. And, well, Zoro's annoyed because he can't damage the body, not the clothing. I mean, the damage to the mask only mattered back then because Oda was introducing the concept of King's hidden face (and his dislike for showing it). Right now Oda could keep the trend and draw King getting more naked by each of Zoro's attacks, but this is not an ecchi manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Ohh, good point.

I completely forgot he retreated there as well....
    Really goes to show how annoying it is when Oda skips those game-changing events and relegates them to journal exposition.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Fuuga being a Centaur is pretty interesting. Is it some unique mutation, or are there similar Giants elsewhere?

And the wacky dino abilities continue!

I was originally annoyed when Apoo popped back up, but if it leads to a buddy comedy featuring straight-laced, undercover cop Drake and his opportunistic, sleazebag partner/frenemy Apoo, then I'm all for it!

Well, Law kinda has that habit of making centaurs out of anything he sees, if Fuuga was an earlier creation, Law wouldve been involved in that for sure.

I wonder where Brook wanted to land on if there wasn't Fuga's hairs :-)

This one definitely feels a little slower compared to the last few. Like going back to a transitional phase of the story. I was expecting to move quickly from the Sanji stuff at the end of last chapter to a quick takedown of Queen and return to Zoro and King soon after, but it seems Oda wants to give these two battles the same treatment as the other crew fights, with an extended period of development intercut with the rest of the battle playing out. Presumably the battle with Big Mom will be handled the same. I mean, I'm glad these important fights are going to get the time they need to breathe, but it's a slow way to handle things and I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a little bit of fatigue setting in after a year and a half nonstop fighting. A couple of months ago I would have bet the first half to two thirds of volume 102 was wrapping up these last fights with a transition into Luffy vs Kaido in the closing chapters, now I'm starting to think we'll be lucky if the book ends on King being felled.

Marco and Izo are back in action for... something. I guess they're joining the pack of characters rushing toward the armoury conflagration, which is a scene I have no idea how to predict anymore given how many different parties are being funneled in its direction.

Fuga being a centaur is certainly a surprise. Kinda funny that the scientists working on gigantifiation made one 20ish years before Law showed up and made the whole surviving staff into centaurs, but strange that none of the other Numbers were combined with animals the same way. Wait, did Fuga eat a Smile? It would be hard to tell if they were fed to them, given how the Numbers always seem to be laughing anyway. Whatever the lore behind this, I love the detail of his horns scraping through the roof as he tries to keep up with Yamato.

I complained in the last chapter's thread that Apoo and Drake's team-up was floated and sunk way too quickly, and now in a third consecutive chapter they're back on speaking terms. Could not have picked the two of them fighting CP0 though. Not in a million years. I do enjoy how instantly self-serving Apoo's reaction to CP0's presence is though. I'm having a hard time getting a read on Drake's interaction with them here. They say they know who he is, and from these top-level intelligence guys, that would presumably mean SWORD. All good, right? He's undercover and they're doing clandestine Government work - we've known about Cipher Pol's shady dealings for so long it feels like an open secret - and all signs pointing to Cipher Pol (especially CP0) outranking Marines anyway. And yet Drake asks them what their excuse is and they try to take him out. Could this be proof SWORD is an alliance working for the greater good from inside the Marines, rather than just another branch of the same broken organisation?

King's stretchy face doesn't quite top Queen's snake trick for the best stupid Zoan power, but it sure is something. And I guess he uses it to shoot a flying slash type attack? The exact thing being done here is super unclear. But hey, we got some hilarious panels out of it.

There's a lot of talk about King's race and his powers here, but we don't actually learn that much about him, it's all just hyping up the mystery. It speaks to the man's strength that he defends so well against an attack Zoro brought out against Kaido on the rooftop though. In fact, he seems less bothered by it than Kaido did. But maybe that's more a consequence of Zoro's fatigue.

I was pretty dismissive of theories about Enma literally carrying some of Oden's soul/will/haki inside it, even with Big Mom's strange reaction to it, but its reaction to the sound of the shamisen has me rethinking that stance. There's definitely something going on here.

And finally, we get our second chapter in a couple years that ends with the big reveal that it was Hyori all along even though everyone already figured it out a long time ago. I guess there was a *little* more room for doubt here than at the end of the flashback, but it would still have been a pretty big reach for the silhouette to be Toki. Ah well, at least this means the end has to be close for Orochi. I still think Denjiro's long absence is part of the setup for this as well and he'll jump out and have a hand in what happens next - if he didn't go find Hyori and outright plan this trap with her.

The problem with this setup is that it wouldn't be Oda to have Orochi drop before his right hand man, so Raizo and Fukurokuju need at least one more scene first. I think the ideal for next week would be half the chapter on them, they half on Orochi, ending with his demise. Then there's just the whole armoury jumble to sort out, followed by Queen, King, Big Mom and Kaido, presumably in that order. Still a long way to go, and Oda does not seem prepared to rush it. As always, looking forward to seeing how he manages to tie it all together, even if i'm feeling a tiny bit tired.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Really goes to show how annoying it is when Oda skips those game-changing events and relegates them to journal exposition.
    Yeah indeed.

Leaving things to our imagination is one thing, but pure speech bubble exposition is hard to remember. And that's coming from someone who actually follows the series regularly for years now, I bet the more casual readers don't even remember Blackbeard clashing with Dragon at all, let alone running from the Government...

-For some strange reason it bugs me that the minks and samurai are blocking the path to Kaido's men, trapping them in the castle to burn.
    -Could it be kanjuro awaken is devil fruit and draw the fire monster before he died and reason it is so powerful.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Well, Law kinda has that habit of making centaurs out of anything he sees, if Fuuga was an earlier creation, Law wouldve been involved in that for sure.
    There's always the chance the former op op user made a few creations.

I feel that's an option not explored enough. It was cool to see with Bon Clay's ability used in the past. You'd think we'd see more homie weapons not made by Big Mom in the hands of the marines (another good source of income other than selling children).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    I wonder where Brook wanted to land on if there wasn't Fuga's hairs :-)

Brook would've been fine given how light he is so I assume he looking to land first and catch Robin.

Or at bit harsh but land on somebody with her, preferably a Beast pirate.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information