+ Reply to Thread
Page 521 of 531 FirstFirst ... 21 421 471 511 519 520 521 522 523 ... LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,420 of 10616

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Live action series, anime and Vivre Card consultant while delivering the manga weekly. Plus more with so much content away from the manga.

1 of the reasons that i'm not smitten and enamored by Carrot and Yamato is because they come off as different versions of Luffy. I can see Yamato saying those exact words in post 10397.

Still waiting for both to come out of their shell.

The public has only an inkling of the workload Oda carries.

And they forget he's also a husband and father.

Busy dude. But happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'm not going to discuss this on Twitter because that act alone is not going to help anyone. People who agree may take it too far. People who vehemently disagree will say lots of angry things and this isn't a topic that I think deserves hate or exacerbation from any angle.

Yamato's Vivre Card gives us a pretty clear definition that many people are eithe griefing or grieving and I'm not entirely sure why that is since the card doesn't really change a thing.

Why not? Because it lines up perfectly with how I always assumed Yamato was being portrayed and doesn't change a thing about him while he's pursuing his role as Oden. Here's why.

It's always seemed that Yamato's choice to embody Oden is his driving motivation. Yamato isn't interested in being a man first and Oden second, Yamato wants to be *Oden*. So muchso that he even acts as Momo's father.

In wanting to embody all that Oden is, that means being a man, a decision that Yamato has *zero* trouble making. What we have not seen, is Yamato rejecting his female body, simply accepting his role as a male in order to *be* Oden. Being 'a man' is a means to an end and what's cool is that Yamato has *zero* problems with that. It's a completely natural and carefree decision.

If someone wishes to reject that or interpret artwork differently, that's well and good, but I'd prepare yourself for what may happen if Yamato finds that he no longer needs to portray Oden. I would venture a guess that if Yamato no longer has a need to be Oden (like say, Oden's son from the past instantly ages 20 years, looks like his dad, and has absorbed his father's travel log) then Yamato may choose to retire that endeavor and forge his own path as himself. At that time, yes, I think it's entirely possible that Yamato may no longer feel like being a male. If that's Yamato being true to Yamato, then I respect that just as much as I currently respect Yamato embodying Oden. I've *always* felt this to be the case and regardless of what society says, I'll refer to Yamato/Oden as the character wishes to be addressed.

What the vivre card does is suggest that Yamato/Oden doesn't reject his body as it exists, but is embodying a male. To put it simply, if approached about the topic,I'm fairly certain Yamato/Oden would give a strikingly Luffy-like response.

"Who me? I'm Kozuki Oden, the legendary samurai!"
    "But he's a male."
    "Yeah? So that means I am too!"
    "Er..but you're a woman."
    "...Yeah? What's your point? I'm Oden!"

So no, this Vivre Card changes nothing in *my* eyes and as it stands the character still wishes to be Oden so it seems like a no-brainer. If that changes, sure! As always, respecting the nature of the character first.

How about the validity of Vivre Cards? They've been wrong before. Some have been suggesting that amateur columnist Artur said Oda approves all cards. Dunno if Artur said that but as someone whose name is actually on those Vivre Cards that you buy, I can tell you that Oda does not sit there at his desk constructing each card's data. The cards are designed and constructed by an outside promotional company. Yes, as author Oda signs off on them ***but that doesn't mean he fact checks every card***. He doesn't have that kind of time.

However, I'm fairly certain he was consulted on this topic, or his editor was informed of the concept behind Yamato. Oda might not work closely with the cards, but his editor sure does.

So beware who you listen to about their validity.

Tldr; Vivre Cards can be wrong. Oda does not check each one. Yes, Oda was likely consulted Yamato. We have yet to see where Yamato's path will take him.

One Vivre Card doesn't change how the character wishes to be accepted. How that character wishes to be accepted may change in the future.

I'm the odd-one out here I think, but I think it's easy to take this in stride if one simply follows the will of the character. Right now, it's to be an avatar of Oden!
    I said it in the Vivre Card thread (which seems to have attracted some more unsavoury elements overnight) and I'll drop it here too. My interpretation now, based on the new info, is that the name of Oden and the masculinity and the masculinity that comes with it are a role that is adopted, separate from being Yamato, without overwriting or contradicting that core self. You would call a cross-playing actor by their character's name and pronouns while they're keeping up the kayfabe, but it would be presumptuous to say they the actor's own gender is changed by the part. It's all part of the theatre motif of the arc, which touches a million characters and their false identities, and has been discussed to death elsewhere. Even trans icon Kiku is willing to take on the role of Kikunojo when she dons her armour, a name that would be a huge faux pas to use for her in the trans cultures I'm familiar with, and that's accepted as a mix of cultural difference and thematic relevance.

The part in bold is why I'm sticking with he/him pronouns. While no one is going with the Oden name because it would make things confusing, we all agree Yamato is still trying to stay in character. No trips up over Luffy's gender just because he's played by a woman. That, and because if someone introduced themself to me the way Yamato presented himself to Luffy ("son of Kaido" "I became a man too") it would be he/him until I was told otherwise by the person. Which should be the bare minimum.

And yeah, it feels like a given now that Yamato will likely drop the role and everything that comes with it when the original Oden's will is carried out.

I think the handling of this part of Yamato has been messy and Oda could have made it a lot clearer a lot sooner what he was going for, even accounting for cultural differences in understanding sex and gender. He still needs to justify why Kaido and his crew are so uncharacteristically willing to play along with Yamato's act. Maybe after the full story is revealed I'll be able to look back more favourably, but right now it doesn't feel like it's gone quite right.

Do you guys think Yamato will give up on wanting to be Oden by the end of this arc? Or is this a permanent thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Do you guys think Yamato will give up on wanting to be Oden by the end of this arc? Or is this a permanent thing?
    Yeah, I think the Oden identity would have been better reflected on his Vivre Card if it was gonna stick. The way they've released it feels future-proofed against him becoming just Yamato again when Oden's mission is fulfilled.

All that besides it being a fairly obvious character arc for someone with such a huge idolisation complex The original Oden was first and foremost his own man, living the way he wanted. What could be more "Oden" than Yamato choosing to go his own way, as a man or anything else?

Absolutely.

Esp. with age-up Momo strongly resembling at least one of his parents.

I'm not cheering for any particular outcome so long as it's true to the character and what his dream is. But the angry people out there just ignore that aspect of my take (^○^) Lotta misplaced hate out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero Garp View Post
    Any comment you can make on Zoro’s CoC? Seems odd that there was filler anime scene of him using it while the Vivre Card left it unconfirmed.
    Probs just forgot. Or maybe Zoro's card was the first made.. though Asura is present so...
    #Vergoshotfirst #Doflaisapunk

Greg,
    Do Oda ever revealing later Douglas Bullet bounty?
    Kinda sad that few youtuber knowing the bounty but not the one piece community.

Is the number theory regarding the straw hat devil fruits definitely not happening? I saw someone mentioning that the the Okuchi no Makami could be 0.0 (O- Ma-)

If the number thing happens, it'll happen how people don't expect it bc Oda knows ppl expect it.

The most likely answer? It won't intentionally happen but someone will find some red-string theory to make it work and Oda will be like, "...Sure, if that's what you want."

Speaking of the number thing, what do you think Kuma’s fate will be Greg? Will the Straw Hats find a way to save him? What arc will he appear in? Will he ever rejoin the revolutionaries?

I remembered he had a 2.9 devil fruit, which is why I thought of it

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Do ya actually think Chopper or anyone is going to undo the effects of the smile fruits done to the ppl of Wano?

I feel like that should be a what's done is done situation and the ppl should just learn to live with their condition.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Greg, sometime ago you mentioned the possibility of the whole crew not getting a 1v1/major fight or something to that affect. Now with Sanji and Zoro's battles ramping up before the big boss fight do you think there is any possibility for Usopp, Chopper or Brook to get anything a little more substantial?

I have no doubt they will continue to contribute to the battle but is it a fools hope to wish for something a little more from them? Especially if Zoro and Sanji's battles seem to be up next? Be it the remaining Numbers or a Big Mom pirate or two I hope to see more. I suppose we could get a Gates of Justice sniping equivalent and that happened after Jabra and Kaku were down.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Greg, do you know whether Kurokoma is a cut out character? I find it extremely weird that he was so frequently mentioned at the very beginning of the Oden flashback just to be forgotten for the rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyki_Mikk View Post
    Greg,
    Do Oda ever revealing later Douglas Bullet bounty?
    Kinda sad that few youtuber knowing the bounty but not the one piece community.
    I am still sadly waiting for Shiki's.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Oi Greg what you think about this.

Queen will use his Ice Oni virus on himself in despair to power himself up and we will get skinny Queen... The one who would be to popular as he himself said.

And I doubt he hasn't another anti vaccine in store and there he really has given it to Apoo

It's possible but Kaido seems to have taken the definitive 'Blue Ogre' spot and King may very well take the definitive 'Red Ogre'.

I see two likely outcomes.

1. Oda doesn't give an eff and makes him a blue ogre anyway.
    2. Oda somehow makes Queen green for the green ogre.

Either way I think old Oda would've done a thin Queen no question. These days...I just dunno.

Greg talked how medicine could be used to nerf SH and keep Zoro out of next arc
    From a closed thread but just a clarification bc this is how the telephone game gets out of hand.

Never said anything about Zoro being kept out of a whole arc. I suggested that he could be incapacitated to help them *get to* the next arc. ★
    Last edited by Greg; September 13th, 2021 at 05:35 PM.

Greg, is Oda excited for the new show Star Wars Visions? I heard he's a huge Star Wars fan and obviously he loves anime, I'd think mixing the two of them together would be totally up his alley

Either way I think old Oda would've done a thin Queen no question. These days...I just dunno.
    Are you disappointed in this kind of "new" Oda, or do you understand and accept the things he's doing differently now since you work so closely to him?
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

It's always seemed that Yamato's choice to embody Oden is his driving motivation. Yamato isn't interested in being a man first and Oden second, Yamato wants to be *Oden*. So muchso that he even acts as Momo's father.

If someone wishes to reject that or interpret artwork differently, that's well and good, but I'd prepare yourself for what may happen if Yamato finds that he no longer needs to portray Oden. I would venture a guess that if Yamato no longer has a need to be Oden (like say, Oden's son from the past instantly ages 20 years, looks like his dad, and has absorbed his father's travel log) then Yamato may choose to retire that endeavor and forge his own path as himself. At that time, yes, I think it's entirely possible that Yamato may no longer feel like being a male. If that's Yamato being true to Yamato, then I respect that just as much as I currently respect Yamato embodying Oden. I've *always* felt this to be the case and regardless of what society says, I'll refer to Yamato/Oden as the character wishes to be addressed.

I'm the odd-one out here I think, but I think it's easy to take this in stride if one simply follows the will of the character. Right now, it's to be an avatar of Oden!
    Agree 100% with Greg here. It was always made clear Yamato is a man BECAUSE he wants to be Oden. Not because Yamato wants to be a man, and does not identify as a woman.

Kaido and the rest played along for the same reason other influential families in fiction play along/force their daughter to cross-dress:they prefer a male heir.In this case, Kaido wants Yamato to be Shogun of Wano. And considering that Wano is basically Edo-era Japan, having a female shogun would appear to be practically impossible. Well it could still happen, but nevertheless Yamato acting as a man would make it much easier for Kaido
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information