+ Reply to Thread
Page 520 of 531 FirstFirst ... 20 420 470 510 518 519 520 521 522 530 ... LastLast
Results 10,381 to 10,400 of 10616

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Are Lunarian's different from the other winged races from OP? I don't think any of the other ones we saw could use fire, but they also did come from the moon
    King seems to be able to fly only under the power of the wings on his back, something none of the others could do.

He's also pretty dang tall, but that doesn't mean much considering the massive height variance we've seen from supposedly normal humans.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well Kishido, both Luffy and Sanji likely share Lunarian blood in their ancestry.

The siblings are cyborgs, which explains suit and non-suit abilities.

Sanji's strengths that we've seen him gain, are ones that he awakened on his own. What say you?
    It's cool that you think both Luffy and Sanji have that Lunarian gene. Do you think it applies to other characters who have made fire with no obvious source too?

Pearl's making fire when he's distressed, Ideo's exploding punches, Kin'emon's flaming swordsmanship, Katakuri's grilled mochi, Opera's burning cream, Basskarte shooting flames from under his sleeves, Fossa's burning sword in one Marineford panel, and Holdem and Black Maria breathing fire through their animal parts stood out to me as suspicious fire types. How far do you think Lunarian ancestry (even a low level of it) has spread?

He seems to carry the blood of whatever Oars was so the real question remains to be, what and how did Oars come to be? Was he a freak success in a race to create a bio-weapon that the world hasn't been able to reproduce since?
    Dude.. this sounds kinda huge.

So Kaido and Yamato do have ancient giants dna uh?, This the stuff we actually want you to talk about.

This the stuff we actually want you to talk about.
    This is incredibly rude and entitled. Consider yourself warned.

I imagine Greg's monocle popped off when he read that.
    LIE
    CHEAT STEAL
    KILL WIN

If Kaido has been genetically modified, so was Big Mom.

To this day the parallels between little Linlin and the children of Punk Hazard are striking.

It'd be hilarious if two emperors are a product of the World Government.

If Kaido has been genetically modified, so was Big Mom.
    If someone suggested that Kaido has been genetically modified, it wasn't me.

He could be the result of many generations of natural breeding by former experiments, but I don't think he was (directly at least) 'granted' his form by the WG.

Giant genes explain a great deal of the wacky and wonky characters in OP as well as the super tall people or people with wildly exaggerated heads. kaido boasts not only size, but also Oars-like horns. People might think it's an interesting topic but it's always seemed fairly straightforward to me that he (as well as all the other BIG people) carry what we know of as giant genes. It's not really a mystery. We've known for over a decade that genes and inheritance are key to the greatest mysteries of OP. We're just getting confirmation of that now. I bet anything it's also why everyone has haki. I'd also bet a significant chunk of the population also carries Lunarian DNA.

I mean....look at the Shandians.... They were considered people of the blue sea yet even THEY originally came from the heavens.

This 'having abilities' and 'not having abilities' is going to be a key in the tension between groups of people that ignited the events of the Blank Century.

But...we already knew that.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

It'd be interesting if the Punk Hazard kids and Kaido were modified based on the knowledge WG acquired by studying OP baby BM.

Reposting something Greg said on Twitter about official translations because it seems like something that will be useful to have in one spot in the future.

Seems like a good chance to talk about translating callbacks in manga. The following thoughts apply to on-going manga being simultaneously released, this does not *necessarily* apply to manga that which have been subjected to years of post-completion analysis.

As a translator, when it comes to accurately dealing with callbacks, you have at least two factors working against you. One, is that you're at a severe disadvantage to the author. The other, is that depending on your language, you're at a severe spacial disadvantage.

When one sits at Oda's desk, one can see the entire series lined up before them, overflowing with countless notes. Those notes are there as points of reference for the author. You might be wondering why the author would need points of reference, but the truth is in many cases, the author needs reminding more of their own work than the fans whose *only job* is to digest the work. Day in and day out, fans pore over their favorite series creating eidetic memories of lines, while the author is working on creating the 'new' at all times.

Fans focus on the past, and the author is constantly dwelling on the future. Even in the case of theorization, the fans have it easy. Fans can think of ideas, but authors need to dwell on every aspect of logically depicting those ideas and then, of course, actually drawing them.

This is why authors say things like, "Wow, I can't believe you remember that." Their mind is on an entirely different plane of experiencing the series. This is why they need reminders and why fans are more often than not, more well-versed than authors in minutiae.

So when an author decides to create a callback, unless it's a seminal line or phrase that stands out to them on a personal level, often times they'll go searching for the phrase proper and put it in the dialogue. If this is an easily recognizable phrase, fans will surely pick it up instantly. However, more obscure lines or phrases may take some time to be discovered or only propagated in certain circles of fandom. Clearly, the author is at an advantage. They knew where to look.

So what if the line is recognizable but it creates a spacial dilemma? In other words, yeah, there's a famous line there, but it doesn't fit as it exists. Often times there's enough leeway to make adjustments for physical volume releases.
    If the artists work their magic and create space while handling the many many many many sound effects of a series, there might be changes implemented. But that kind of issue is almost impossible on a weekly schedule.

Some people might think there are fleets of artists and editors devoted to these series but that is not the case at all. Very small teams work very fast and very hard to make sure the series are released simultaneously and that's why spacial issues clash with content. So with respect to the weekly release, it then becomes an issue of meaning vs. content. Is the base meaning preserved? Can the situation be understood? If so, then yes, cuts for space in a simultaneous weekly release may be made.

This brings up the endless topic of, "Then use an editor's note." Yes, in a perfect world with endless time and wildly loose publication standards and practices, the minutiae of cultural and linguistic differences would be breathlessly expounded upon. But editor's notes in a weekly publication would require a dedicated position just to organize, reference, error check, and in some cases, gain legal clearance. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Scanners can do it with ease because they're able to skip all of those steps and proper channels which is why it seems so simple. (Not discussing yay or nay of scans, how you enjoy a series in privacy is your own business). So, if anyone's surprised that official translations might miss a beat, don't be. They're already working at a disadvantage and the thousands upon thousands of fans whose only job is to absorb a series being able to point out a mistake seems perfectly natural.

Absorbing a series is a LOT different from working on it. I think the nature of how such topics are presented is important. Are development teams being looked down on? Or are fans seeking to help them? Such reactions say a lot more about the fans than anything else. What's more, it's not as if the original publishers themselves don't *constantly* make mistakes. Was anyone shocked or surprised when they mislabeled King's moniker in Japanese the other week?

Mistakes, edits, and cuts happen no matter what language you read a manga in. Manga are, after all, human creations. And unless one performs every aspect of their life perfectly, I don't think it's surprising to find that callbacks aren't always perfectly dealt with.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Seems like a good chance to talk about translating callbacks in manga. The following thoughts apply to on-going manga being simultaneously released, this does not *necessarily* apply to manga that which have been subjected to years of post-completion analysis.

Good commentary on all of this. Man, I can't wait until the post-completion rewrite of One Piece in English, after we know where all the foreshadowing and little hints will need to go. There'll definitely be some fun challenges in hunting down all the callbacks and lines that'll need to work in multiple contexts and finding wording that works across everywhere they need to be.

When one sits at Oda's desk, one can see the entire series lined up before them, overflowing with countless notes. Those notes are there as points of reference for the author. You might be wondering why the author would need points of reference, but the truth is in many cases, the author needs reminding more of their own work than the fans whose *only job* is to digest the work. Day in and day out, fans pore over their favorite series creating eidetic memories of lines, while the author is working on creating the 'new' at all times.

Fans focus on the past, and the author is constantly dwelling on the future. Even in the case of theorization, the fans have it easy. Fans can think of ideas, but authors need to dwell on every aspect of logically depicting those ideas and then, of course, actually drawing them.

This is why authors say things like, "Wow, I can't believe you remember that." Their mind is on an entirely different plane of experiencing the series. This is why they need reminders and why fans are more often than not, more well-versed than authors in minutiae.

Adding my own writing experience, most readers only ever see one version of the story - the final one - but the author has to keep that version separate from all the possibilities they didn't go with or that their editor talked them out of. Easy enough with big changes, but when it's a little tweak to wording or choreography or you can't remember if a tentative addition made the final cut or not, it's easy to loose track what exact things the readers have been shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Adding my own writing experience, most readers only ever see one version of the story - the final one - but the author has to keep that version separate from all the possibilities they didn't go with or that their editor talked them out of. Easy enough with big changes, but when it's a little tweak to wording or choreography or you can't remember if a tentative addition made the final cut or not, it's easy to loose track what exact things the readers have been shown.
    Heh, sometimes I have freaking dreams about a story I'm writing, then I wake up and get all confused about what I really wrote and what I was dreaming about.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I've been working in comics for 22 years. On average, I color two normal sized books a month, but sometimes I do 4. Sometimes I write a project. Sometimes I edit it. Sometimes I just *read* a title and edit it at the very end so have little overall involvement outside of a proofread pass. So some months I work on one project and some months I work on twenty. .

Just today someone posted a picture of a comic, and my name is on the cover. I literally did not remember working on that book. At all.
    I checked my files, and sure enough, I did work on that issue! Four years ago. Once I was actually looking at the pages I remembered having worked on it, yup those are definitely my colors there... but I didn't remember the actual process of working on it or anything special about. I don't know what I had as background noise or anything neat that happened that week. . I don't know why I chose that style or made those specific color choices but it was definitely mine. It blurred together completely with the thousands upon thousands of other hours of work I've done. it was one week's worth of work among hundreds.

Though oddly looking back more objectively I can go "wow, I did a good job there!" rather than just seeing all the flaws and cut corners and the deadline crunch I certainly had at the time. But thats behind the scenes stuff, no one is supposed to know about that.

This happens to actors all the time as well, they very rarely remember individual episodes or minutia, just the big standout actually special days, the stuff that comes up in interviews and retrospectives a lot and are inevitably the stories they have to relive and retell over and over.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    [/I][/COLOR]Good commentary on all of this. Man, I can't wait until the post-completion rewrite of One Piece in English, after we know where all the foreshadowing and little hints will need to go. There'll definitely be some fun challenges in hunting down all the callbacks and lines that'll need to work in multiple contexts and finding wording that works across everywhere they need to be.

[/I][/COLOR]Adding my own writing experience, most readers only ever see one version of the story - the final one - but the author has to keep that version separate from all the possibilities they didn't go with or that their editor talked them out of. Easy enough with big changes, but when it's a little tweak to wording or choreography or you can't remember if a tentative addition made the final cut or not, it's easy to loose track what exact things the readers have been shown.
    Han Solo was once a lizard.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

I mean....look at the Shandians.... They were considered people of the blue sea yet even THEY originally came from the heavens.

This 'having abilities' and 'not having abilities' is going to be a key in the tension between groups of people that ignited the events of the Blank Century.

But...we already knew that.
    Thanks for always pushing my thought process — this is really helpful.

So… Fruits of the Devil once were Fruits of the Gods. I suppose when the natural Gods are your enemy, of course they’d be rebranded devilish. Not to mention this can tie directly into Sun God Nika being a consumer of the Mera Mera no Mi.

Leads to even more questions. Are Luffy’s flames an inheritance? Can abilities be inherited genetically? I still think that if Luffy WERE to also consume a Logia and Zoan fruit, the Mera Mera no Mi and Sun Wukong would be good options…

Queen's got the Funk Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    That seems to imply that the Lunarians are the ancestors of the World Nobles and the D or that Sora is an ancestor of the D.
    I'm afraid the ancestors of the world nobles wiped out the Lunarians, so they could move atop the Redline. Ancestors of the CDs were once 20 kings and their families who moved atop the Redline. 19, the Nefeltari family stayed behind.
    There are a lot of different opinions and views in this forum when it comes to One Piece.
    But can we all agree that Roger's ship, the Oro Jackson, had the best figurehead in the story so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Roronoa Zacho View Post
    I'm afraid the ancestors of the world nobles wiped out the Lunarians, so they could move atop the Redline. Ancestors of the CDs were once 20 kings and their families who moved atop the Redline. 19, the Nefeltari family stayed behind.
    Lmao, I meant that Sora might have been a descendant of the D or Lunarians.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

New Onigashima would be an ideal lawless area due to fact that Wano is surrounded by dangerous sea conditions and is above a waterfall, thus serving as a NATURAL fortress.

1) Wano was connected to the world: what exactly does mean "connected"?

2) What does it even mean to open the borders despite the fact that Wano will remain extremely difficult to reach anyway?

It does feel as if the waterfall and the unstable sea conditions have been created on purpose, to protect the people that created the Poneglyphs. Wano will surely drop more lore bombs, real big ones.

I'm not going to discuss this on Twitter because that act alone is not going to help anyone. People who agree may take it too far. People who vehemently disagree will say lots of angry things and this isn't a topic that I think deserves hate or exacerbation from any angle.

Yamato's Vivre Card gives us a pretty clear definition that many people are eithe griefing or grieving and I'm not entirely sure why that is since the card doesn't really change a thing.

Why not? Because it lines up perfectly with how I always assumed Yamato was being portrayed and doesn't change a thing about him while he's pursuing his role as Oden. Here's why.

It's always seemed that Yamato's choice to embody Oden is his driving motivation. Yamato isn't interested in being a man first and Oden second, Yamato wants to be *Oden*. So muchso that he even acts as Momo's father.

In wanting to embody all that Oden is, that means being a man, a decision that Yamato has *zero* trouble making. What we have not seen, is Yamato rejecting his female body, simply accepting his role as a male in order to *be* Oden. Being 'a man' is a means to an end and what's cool is that Yamato has *zero* problems with that. It's a completely natural and carefree decision.

If someone wishes to reject that or interpret artwork differently, that's well and good, but I'd prepare yourself for what may happen if Yamato finds that he no longer needs to portray Oden. I would venture a guess that if Yamato no longer has a need to be Oden (like say, Oden's son from the past instantly ages 20 years, looks like his dad, and has absorbed his father's travel log) then Yamato may choose to retire that endeavor and forge his own path as himself. At that time, yes, I think it's entirely possible that Yamato may no longer feel like being a male. If that's Yamato being true to Yamato, then I respect that just as much as I currently respect Yamato embodying Oden. I've *always* felt this to be the case and regardless of what society says, I'll refer to Yamato/Oden as the character wishes to be addressed.

What the vivre card does is suggest that Yamato/Oden doesn't reject his body as it exists, but is embodying a male. To put it simply, if approached about the topic,I'm fairly certain Yamato/Oden would give a strikingly Luffy-like response.

"Who me? I'm Kozuki Oden, the legendary samurai!"
    "But he's a male."
    "Yeah? So that means I am too!"
    "Er..but you're a woman."
    "...Yeah? What's your point? I'm Oden!"

So no, this Vivre Card changes nothing in *my* eyes and as it stands the character still wishes to be Oden so it seems like a no-brainer. If that changes, sure! As always, respecting the nature of the character first.

How about the validity of Vivre Cards? They've been wrong before. Some have been suggesting that amateur columnist Artur said Oda approves all cards. Dunno if Artur said that but as someone whose name is actually on those Vivre Cards that you buy, I can tell you that Oda does not sit there at his desk constructing each card's data. The cards are designed and constructed by an outside promotional company. Yes, as author Oda signs off on them ***but that doesn't mean he fact checks every card***. He doesn't have that kind of time.

However, I'm fairly certain he was consulted on this topic, or his editor was informed of the concept behind Yamato. Oda might not work closely with the cards, but his editor sure does.

So beware who you listen to about their validity.

Tldr; Vivre Cards can be wrong. Oda does not check each one. Yes, Oda was likely consulted Yamato. We have yet to see where Yamato's path will take him.

One Vivre Card doesn't change how the character wishes to be accepted. How that character wishes to be accepted may change in the future.

I'm the odd-one out here I think, but I think it's easy to take this in stride if one simply follows the will of the character. Right now, it's to be an avatar of Oden!
    Last edited by Greg; September 1st, 2021 at 08:47 AM.

I think that does a good job of summing it up, Greg.

I'm not going to discuss this on Twitter because that act alone is not going to help anyone. People who agree may take it too far. People who vehemently disagree will say lots of angry things and this isn't a topic that I think deserves hate or exacerbation from any angle.

Yamato's Vivre Card gives us a pretty clear definition that many people are eithe griefing or grieving and I'm not entirely sure why that is since the card doesn't really change a thing.

Why not? Because it lines up perfectly with how I always assumed Yamato was being portrayed and doesn't change a thing about him while he's pursuing his role as Oden. Here's why.

It's always seemed that Yamato's choice to embody Oden is his driving motivation. Yamato isn't interested in being a man first and Oden second, Yamato wants to be *Oden*. So muchso that he even acts as Momo's father.

In wanting to embody all that Oden is, that means being a man, a decision that Yamato has *zero* trouble making. What we have not seen, is Yamato rejecting his female body, simply accepting his role as a male in order to *be* Oden. Being 'a man' is a means to an end and what's cool is that Yamato has *zero* problems with that. It's a completely natural and carefree decision.

If someone wishes to reject that or interpret artwork differently, that's well and good, but I'd prepare yourself for what may happen if Yamato finds that he no longer needs to portray Oden. I would venture a guess that if Yamato no longer has a need to be Oden (like say, Oden's son from the past instantly ages 20 years, looks like his dad, and has absorbed his father's travel log) then Yamato may choose to retire that endeavor and forge his own path as himself. At that time, yes, I think it's entirely possible that Yamato may no longer feel like being a male. If that's Yamato being true to Yamato, then I respect that just as much as I currently respect Yamato embodying Oden. I've *always* felt this to be the case and regardless of what society says, I'll refer to Yamato/Oden as the character wishes to be addressed.

What the vivre card does is suggest that Yamato/Oden doesn't reject his body as it exists, but is embodying a male. To put it simply, if approached about the topic,I'm fairly certain Yamato/Oden would give a strikingly Luffy-like response.

"Who me? I'm Kozuki Oden, the legendary samurai!"
    "But he's a male."
    "Yeah? So that means I am too!"
    "Er..but you're a woman."
    "...Yeah? What's your point? I'm Oden!"

So no, this Vivre Card changes nothing in *my* eyes and as it stands the character still wishes to be Oden so it seems like a no-brainer. If that changes, sure! As always, respecting the nature of the character first.

How about the validity of Vivre Cards? They've been wrong before. Some have been suggesting that amateur columnist Artur said Oda approves all cards. Dunno if Artur said that but as someone whose name is actually on those Vivre Cards that you buy, I can tell you that Oda does not sit there at his desk constructing each card's data. The cards are designed and constructed by an outside promotional company. Yes, as author Oda signs off on them ***but that doesn't mean he fact checks every card***. He doesn't have that kind of time.

However, I'm fairly certain he was consulted on this topic, or his editor was informed of the concept behind Yamato. Oda might not work closely with the cards, but his editor sure does.

So beware who you listen to about their validity.

Tldr; Vivre Cards can be wrong. Oda does not check each one. Yes, Oda was likely consulted Yamato. We have yet to see where Yamato's path will take him.

One Vivre Card doesn't change how the character wishes to be accepted. How that character wishes to be accepted may change in the future.

I'm the odd-one out here I think, but I think it's easy to take this in stride if one simply follows the will of the character. Right now, it's to be an avatar of Oden!
    Any comment you can make on Zoro’s CoC? Seems odd that there was filler anime scene of him using it while the Vivre Card left it unconfirmed.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scabbard Avenger View Post
    New Onigashima would be an ideal lawless area due to fact that Wano is surrounded by dangerous sea conditions and is above a waterfall, thus serving as a NATURAL fortress.

1) Wano was connected to the world: what exactly does mean "connected"?

2) What does it even mean to open the borders despite the fact that Wano will remain extremely difficult to reach anyway?

It does feel as if the waterfall and the unstable sea conditions have been created on purpose, to protect the people that created the Poneglyphs. Wano will surely drop more lore bombs, real big ones.
    Maybe they'll just build a bridge or a ship sized elevator.

We've already seen an ocean sized bridge being made, express sea king lobster travel and giant octopus used for a parachute, a seat train, etc.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information