+ Reply to Thread
Page 517 of 531 FirstFirst ... 17 417 467 507 515 516 517 518 519 527 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,340 of 10613

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Yes, which is why it makes perfect sense relegating that to Sanji.

Also...I think you're a little too deep into the story mate.

You're talking about the comic as if it really existed before the modern OP story and wasn't made in reverse entirely based on a dumb joke on Sanji's name.

One Piece has serious elements. But at no point does Oda ever want it to be *serious business*.

Even their very existence is more serendipitous than the world may ever know. Gotta stop treating a lot of this lore like it's life or death. That's why we have super floaty wood and sh**. If you wanna take it that way, I certainly understand, but OP is not the Davinci Code construct many think it is. Oda's having a helluva time telling a story and he wanted to have fun with Sanji's name, incorporate a hero story (which he couldn't do with Germa since they were villains) and present a new angle of the character. You're not wrong for questioning/critiqueing, but the unacceptance of something fitting that *actually kinda does when you think about it* is probably gonna leave you bitter if you can't accept the vignette was made in reverse, might not fit all angles, but fits thematically.

It might come off like I'm trying to tell you how to feel but I'm just offering advice from my own experience as someone who got WAY too wrapped up in the story and wasted my time hating it for some time.
    Last edited by Greg; August 25th, 2021 at 02:59 AM.

Greg, if you don't mind me asking, doesn't it feel weird that we're ignoring the implications of Judge's beliefs actually coming to fruition if sanji could only be at the top because of this gene-power-unlocking thing? Wouldn't it be strange if he actively went against what he built up during the WCI saga?

I'm not trying to be negative or anything, but i'm just curious why Oda decided to go down this route.

I like to think about how Sanji, even without gene unlocking powers, is no matter what still the genetic son of Judge: The Garuda. The Garuda was a powerful flying mount for the Gods and Sanji can "fly" and is one of the wings of the future Pirate King. Whether he gets Judge's scientific abilities or not, he's definitely expressing some of Judge's characteristics, which might be a bigger slap in the face to his father than anything else.

edit: Judge's tears are another aspect of this. The emotion he hates so much in Sanji is his own emotion hiding under the surface. It's kind of great and also fucked up what he did to his other sons.
    Last edited by andre; August 25th, 2021 at 06:04 AM.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Sorry Greg... But the suits are basedon the comic strip which seems older than the siblings
    Comics get new writers and get retconned and reworked all the time.

Emma Frost in X-Men can turn into diamonds now when she used to just be a telepath. Stuff gets weird when a comic runs long enough.

So, why asume the comic strip powers from the start are the same as the current iteration?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Greg given that Od will focus on what King is in the next few chapters, when will Oda also reveal what Kaido is supposed to be ? Or did he drop that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So, why asume the comic strip powers from the start are the same as the current iteration?
    Because Law and Drake knew the No. 3 suit's power and name from the comics, Stealth Black. So why assume anything else?

To me, the Raid Suits were always the source of their power.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Niji used an electricity punch and knee without the suit. Can't be the source of the power if it's being used without said source.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Comics get new writers and get retconned and reworked all the time.

Emma Frost in X-Men can turn into diamonds now when she used to just be a telepath. Stuff gets weird when a comic runs long enough.

Ehm.because Law and Co totoally recognized Stealth Black... So why should Judge give him such a suit if it isn't based on it

Well, the origins of the comic could be very interesting.
    Both the evil super sentai team and the hero being named Sora are way to big to be coincidences. The comic already existed and then Judge met a girl named Sora? Or did he order/payed someone to publish the comic and create that myth in peoples' heads?

That's a great business tactic!
    Create this story about a very strong team of villains stopped only by this hero and then sell the "toys" on the black market. Any army would be in awe of either seeing in action or facing comic characters come to life with all the moves and tricks that should actually be impossible in real life.

Anyway, I think I'm on Kishido's side.
    Yes, Oda could just have fun by mashing two ideas together, but he actually does that alot and he's pretty good. As Greg said, he's a bullshit artist, a confident master of the retcon, so much that tons of great moments of the series come because he decided to tie some loose ends in a great way (Drum and Arabasta's goodbye moments, those type of things).
    So Sanji simply having two different powers just "because" feels weak. But I'm sitting and waiting for Oda to take those threads and make a pretty knot, he may not have the final reason now but he'll find a way to make those two elements match.

But I don't think anyone assumes the Germa as dead. They'll show up again.
    They're the cartoon villain, that's what they do.

Also, the Vinsmokes are very much getting the Crocodile, Buggy, Mr.3, Bellamy treatment.

That's part of Oda's BS.

He's giving us distasteful villains but they have a method to their madness and if the planets align, they'll do the right thing, even if not for the right reason.

Judge's '66 days' thing is probably enough of a believable reason for him to be a d***. Doesn't mean he and Sanji need a teary reunion, just means they might have awkward af Thanksgiving dinners but probably skip Christmas.

When some say there's nothing left to look at with Germa, I think of "3 centuries" and Dragon mentioning Germa being kicked out of the WG's club. I can see Oda bringing the non allied nations and the Rev Army together for common interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Niji used an electricity punch and knee without the suit. Can't be the source of the power if it's being used without said source.
    He had the belt, which is part of the suit, on. They didn't have the belts on at the wedding, only after they equipped the suits. Reiju's suit reacted while she was sucking the poison out of Luffy.
    The suits can be modified... you don't have to equip the whole suit if you want to use only part of its features... you get the individual abilities but not the general things like floating and bullet-proofing...
    They didn't have the abilities as children... they didn't have the suits as children...

For me, it's the suits.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

This is kinda crappy timing to be discussing the siblings so let's put a pin in that for a bit.

Where I'm completely in line with disliking the suit, is Sanji using it during the Page-One encounter.

However...not liking it and not accepting why/how Oda did a decent enough job setting it up are completely different.

As a reader, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Sanji did that, but it's not like Oda didn't bend over backwards to make sure the situation called for it. Even the bathouse buffoonery was 'logical' from a point of view. The reasoning is in there, it's sound, but all of that reasoning, is based on the fact that Oda wanted to play with his characters. Is he a better author for doing that? Ehhhh, I wouldn't say it helps. And if he ticked off fans, it's his own fault. But so long as he presents reasons for the actions in the story (even if they're weak) he's done the bare minimum. I guess I feel lenient because after 20+ years writing this stuff, if *he's* not having fun then it's unfair to ask him to ignore all of his whims that give him joy in his work.

And yup, sometimes the story suffers for it. But I'm at a stage of fandom where I can recognize those decisions. I'd even go so far to say they're important for his well-being.

But that never, ever, means fans need to like them 'just cuz'. I think *everyone* could benefit if we take a step back and realize, we're all humans and Oda won't please all the readers, all the time. When we let go of how the story 'has to be', I think we'll enjoy it a lot more.

The dude has felt kinda bored post-TS, but then again who wouldn't be a little bored if you had to carry on writing on your fanfic for decades after you thought you'd be out doing other stuff.

To this day, people still google the names of Sanji's brothers, to get them correctly.

That's just how (non)interesting they always gon be.

Damn, the number theme is supposed to make it easier to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    He had the belt, which is part of the suit, on. They didn't have the belts on at the wedding, only after they equipped the suits. Reiju's suit reacted while she was sucking the poison out of Luffy.
    The suits can be modified... you don't have to equip the whole suit if you want to use only part of its features... you get the individual abilities but not the general things like floating and bullet-proofing...
    They didn't have the abilities as children... they didn't have the suits as children...

For me, it's the suits.
    Suitless Yonji was destroyed by Sanji offscreen. They didn't seem capable of much without their suits to be honest, at least from what we've seen.
    That's another reason why I think Sanji's innate fire powers don't have anything to do with Judge or DNA modification and some people are getting a very wrong idea here.
    Sure we could be wrong, but with the recent piece of lore introduced by Marco, hopefully answers won't take long now.

I just can’t wait for Crocodile to return, I hope he teams up with the straw hats and the crew can’t stand it

How long till you think he makes his glorious return Greg?

Hey, I've been a silent reader for the longest but I have to ask this because it has been on my mind for years.
    Is Oda aware of how much he has been neglecting certain strawhats like Chopper and Robin?
    Should we expect the same treatment for the rest of the story or is there a chance they might play a bigger role sooner than later?
    Especially with Robin being really important and big shots coming after her. I wonder if we can expect a little more screen time or if we should drop that thought entirely.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    To this day, people still google the names of Sanji's brothers, to get them correctly.

That's just how (non)interesting they always gon be.
    Not in Japan, lmao. Just basic Japanese is all that's necessary to remember their names, or just knowing a couple of the We Go lyrics.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information