+ Reply to Thread
Page 509 of 532 FirstFirst ... 9 409 459 499 507 508 509 510 511 519 ... LastLast
Results 10,161 to 10,180 of 10624

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle Pirate View Post
    I always felt like Crocodile's fruit was awakened when we heard about the concept.
    I feel the same. He claimed there was another level to Devil Fruit powers back then, and that he had mastered his. He was also the character that revealed knowledge of "awakened zoans" in Impel Down. And his ability to turn things into sand is a lot like other awakened powers we've seen. To me, Crocodile had already awakened his power until proven otherwise, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the character that explains awakening to Luffy.

I feel like people have the idea that all Awakenings should be the same because the two samples we've confirmed are relatively the same. I saw the same problem with bankais in Bleach.
    Yeah, I think awakening can be very different depending on the fruit.

I feel Brook awakened his fruit during the timeskip. I remember reading somewhere an user instinctively knows the basic gist of his fruit upon eating it. So Brook should have an idea that he could separate his soul from the body or use it to evoke cold energy from beyond before. Learning a total new level of power, to me, feels like what awakening should be.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

While Crocodile is by far my favorite character in this series I will have to say that I think my boy definitely didn't have an awakened DF back in Arabasta (or even at Marineford). Nothing he showed back hen indicated that his control of a logia abilitiy is tge same level as Aokiji, who could freeze the sea further than the eye can see. If anything, he clearly stated with his own words where his limits are. He told Luffy that he couldn't stop the sandstorm anymore even if he wanted because that was not within his ability anymore. I would expect an awakened logia to be able to pull something like this off. Especially if you consider that it was a comparably small attack if you look at the magnitude of disasters characters can unleash nowadays.

Also I think it makes more sense for him (and other characters like Enel) not to have it because once he gets reintroduced to the story aquiring awakening (and perhaps Haki) would make it more believable that he's powered up enough to stay relevant as a fighter (even though we know he's not gping to win any fights).

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I feel the same. He claimed there was another level to Devil Fruit powers back then, and that he had mastered his. He was also the character that revealed knowledge of "awakened zoans" in Impel Down. And his ability to turn things into sand is a lot like other awakened powers we've seen. To me, Crocodile had already awakened his power until proven otherwise, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the character that explains awakening to Luffy.
    Yeah, plus there are a lot of parallels between Doffy and Croc, this would be another one.

Yeah, I think awakening can be very different depending on the fruit.

I feel Brook awakened his fruit during the timeskip. I remember reading somewhere an user instinctively knows the basic gist of his fruit upon eating it. So Brook should have an idea that he could separate his soul from the body or use it to evoke cold energy from beyond before. Learning a total new level of power, to me, feels like what awakening should be.
    Exactly! By nature, the Yomi Yomi no Mi would have a radically different awakening from the ones we've seen before. We don't know the process of it, but I imagine awakening would naturally be proceeded by users taking their fruits abilities to the limits via experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle Pirate View Post
    I feel like people have the idea that all Awakenings should be the same because the two samples we've confirmed are relatively the same. I saw the same problem with bankais in Bleach.
    Not me, though. But I'd like some internal consistency. Consistency in why something works the way it works. Especially considering the devil fruits are almost certainly an engineered product. And that's an element Oda decided upon.

And don't really see the similarity in the way ID zoans and string fruit worked. Just completely different concepts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Even though I just said on the last page that we know next to nothing about what Awakening is and there's a good chance it works different from how most people are assuming, I agree that a consistent through line would be nice.

Otherwise, where do we draw the line for what is and isn't Awakening? Lots of characters have used developed their fruit enough to use abilities that could feasibly be described as "the next level." Look at Robin. If you took her basic powers and wondered what an "advanced stage" of them were, you might come up with answers like changing the size of the limbs she blooms, making a whole duplicate body, or creating things out of the air instead of on a surface. But those are all things she seems to have just worked out on her own through training and discipline. Where could Awakening even go from what she does now?

There's a part of me that wouldn't be shocked if after we get a better explanation a lot of powers become retroactively considered Awakened, just like all the things from the first half of the series that might be Haki now that we know most of what that is.

I agree that Paramecia Awakening feels redundant so far, but I believe that's because Oda was forced to demonstrate it on Doflamingo first. He just happened to be the current villain on the table and the concept had to be introduced before we're officially moving to the endgame, where almost everyone will be a top tier fruit user.

So while the concept sounds boring with Strings and a little bit redundant with Mochi, I'm sure Oda had Luffy's application in mind when he came up with it. The Rubber Awakening is where we will see the creative use, and Oda will likely retrofit some of the older abilities as well.
    Like, Magellan's Hell's Judgement screams Awakening to me, and here we're not talking about a lame "everything around me is poison now". No, the poison suddenly behaves like a virus, spreading uncontrolled through inorganic matter as if it were alive. It awakened, cool visual included.

That's the level of creativity I expect going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    While Crocodile is by far my favorite character in this series I will have to say that I think my boy definitely didn't have an awakened DF back in Arabasta (or even at Marineford). Nothing he showed back hen indicated that his control of a logia abilitiy is tge same level as Aokiji, who could freeze the sea further than the eye can see. If anything, he clearly stated with his own words where his limits are. He told Luffy that he couldn't stop the sandstorm anymore even if he wanted because that was not within his ability anymore. I would expect an awakened logia to be able to pull something like this off. Especially if you consider that it was a comparably small attack if you look at the magnitude of disasters characters can unleash nowadays.

Also I think it makes more sense for him (and other characters like Enel) not to have it because once he gets reintroduced to the story aquiring awakening (and perhaps Haki) would make it more believable that he's powered up enough to stay relevant as a fighter (even though we know he's not gping to win any fights).
    I’ll offer you an alternative reason why Croc felt so underpowered compared to later logia, instead.

He was just out of shape. After spending over a decade in the early section of Paradise, away from haki users, fighting newbie pirates unprepared for the Grand Line, he grew overconfident and complacent. Without noticing, he just wasn’t honing his skills anymore. He was far bellow his prime when he faced Luffy (and yet bit Luffy almost three times, to his credit). His defeat was so humiliating he wasn’t even willing to escape prison (in the BW cover story) and resigned to his fate in Impel Down.

But then Marineford happened and he had a chance to match against top opponents again. That’s the moment he realised how far he had fallen, so he decided to return to the New World and get back into shape.

So, Crocodile had an awakened power, but his skills, reflexes and strength were dulled. When he appears again, he will have regained some of his prime strength.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I’ll offer you an alternative reason why Croc felt so underpowered compared to later logia, instead.

He was just out of shape. After spending over a decade in the early section of Paradise, away from haki users, fighting newbie pirates unprepared for the Grand Line, he grew overconfident and complacent. Without noticing, he just wasn’t honing his skills anymore. He was far bellow his prime when he faced Luffy (and yet bit Luffy almost three times, to his credit). His defeat was so humiliating he wasn’t even willing to escape prison (in the BW cover story) and resigned to his fate in Impel Down.

But then Marineford happened and he had a chance to match against top opponents again. That’s the moment he realised how far he had fallen, so he decided to return to the New World and get back into shape.

So, Crocodile had an awakened power, but his skills, reflexes and strength were dulled. When he appears again, he will have regained some of his prime strength.
    That's 100% the oppositeof what the character himself is saying. He said he is not one of those fools being satisfied with just having the power and that he worked on improving them. That's also why in the beginning was a league above Luffy. What you on the other hand consists of many if's which by itself is no bad thing in itself. But if it goes clearly againstwhat the author himself establishes through the characters words I would clearly side with the author here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    That's 100% the oppositeof what the character himself is saying. He said he is not one of those fools being satisfied with just having the power and that he worked on improving them. That's also why in the beginning was a league above Luffy. What you on the other hand consists of many if's which by itself is no bad thing in itself. But if it goes clearly againstwhat the author himself establishes through the characters words I would clearly side with the author here.
    I don’t see an issue? Crocodile was talking about mastery of his DF, and in my scenario he did master it. However, he would also be overestimating himself because he thought he had retained everything he got 20 years prior while in reality he had lost some strength over the years due to lack of challenges. His knowledge wasn’t lost thought. He still retains control over his DF. He’s just no longer in the same league as before. He’s like a world-class martial artists that spends 10 years just training students. He retains all of his skills, but his speed, strength and stamina are diminished due to not pushing himself to his limits.
    IMO, Arabasta Croc was a high quality blade that got dulled over time. It just need some sharpening to go back to its full glory.

I can't say I'm surprised that Awakening is fast becoming the Haki 2.0 in terms of "all purpose bracket to put all past possible outliers in to ensure the manga is Consistent, Planned and Foreshadowed all along(tm)". Miss doublefinger, with the power to turn into spikes, using some sort of weird doping to bulk up? Definetely awakening. Wapol being able to expand his mouth, chew through and digest anything, incorporate these things into his body AND fuse things together seems like a bit overkill at first, but no that doofus king simply awakened like his royal peer Doflamingo.

Much like with Haki, I just don’t really get this impulse to retrofit Consistency onto the series, not when theres so many interviews, statements and whatnot of Oda openly showing that he is not an insanely meticulous master planner who always makes sure his world 100% Checks Out. Not when we have stuff like Mr 3 floating being called out, and then later re-incorporated as super floaty wood. Not when the brief moments of awakening, happening 500, 800 and 900 chapters into the series had highly specific contexts and framings, and were clearly called out as noteworthy, which is what Oda also did when introducing the Haki concept from post-Enies Lobby onwards.
    In the Alabasta arc Crocodile directly talks about the need to use your DF to its full potential, and proceeds to not level up his ability, but to use the inherent attributes of sand- its dryness, its ability to erode – in creative ways. And when Luffy claps back to this comment it is when he not levels up his DF, but uses his inherent abilities of elasticity and recoil in creative ways to get the drop on Crocodile. If you want to retroactively warp the scene you can say that “actually Luffy was completely off base and Crocodile WAS talking about awakening and coincidentally his awakening was just also doing inherently sandy things”. But I don’t know why one would do that. Why can’t all those old outliers simply be outliers that happened because Oda thought them neat at the time, and isn't committed to a rigid DF ruleset?

A related Question for Greg:
    Oda has, in many interviews and extra material, been up front about how many things in the series were improvised, how his plans have been changed and updated, even explicit statements that he’s not yet sure how he’ll handle certain things. Yet I think its fair to say Oda has a general perception as a meticulous “master planner”, with the “Goda” moniker and all that. Do you have a sense of how Oda views this? Is this “master planner” idea something he, and the general franchise handlers, are aware of and actively leaning into? Or is it more borne out of the fandom?
    Note I’m obviously not saying Oda never plans anything or isn’t good at remembering and paying off very old setups, but I often just find theres such a gulf in how he is perceived in comparison to other shonen writers, where theres a more general attitude of “all of this probably wasn’t planned from day 1”

Nah, I don't think he will retrofit everything comparable to Haki, that was necessary because it affected the integrity of the world down to the lowest level.

As it stands I believe he will lock awakening behind the Yonkou top commanders / Warlords and upwards as a sign of superiority (similiar to the new materialized CoC). Crocodile and Magellan are prime candidates, but I don't see anyone below that as an early Awakener.

Like, the general idea behind awakening is going to be obeyed, which means the Devil Fruit suddenly affects the environment. In Doublefinger's case you would expect spikes growing out of the ground on their own, for example.

Ground Death and Hell's Judgement would fit well though.
    Last edited by Jabra; July 29th, 2021 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Nah, I don't think he will retrofit everything comparable to Haki, that was necessary because it affected the integrity of the world down to the lowest level.

As it stands I believe he will lock awakening behind the Yonkou top commanders / Warlords and upwards as a sign of superiority (similiar to the new materialized CoC). Crocodile and Magellan are prime candidates, but I don't see anyone below that as an early Awakener.

Like, the general idea behind awakening is going to be obeyed, which means the Devil Fruit suddenly affects the environment. In Doublefinger's case you would expect spikes growing out of the ground on their own, for example.

Ground Death and Hell's Judgement would fit well though.
    What about my “Brook has already awakened” theory?
    His powers post-TS are on a whole another level from before.

I don’t expect many “retroactive awakenings” either. Croc and Magellan I agree, but I’d add Kuma (Pushing pain?!?) and Brook as well. I’d need to revise every single DF before to pinpoint others, but I don’t think there are many. In Kuma’s and Brook’s cases, I’d argue their fruits only affect their users in a way more similar to zoans, so their awakning means their self-abilities get new capabilities rather than affect the environment.

What about my “Brook has already awakened” theory?
    His powers post-TS are on a whole another level from before.

I don’t expect many “retroactive awakenings” either. Croc and Magellan I agree, but I’d add Kuma (Pushing pain?!?) and Brook as well. I’d need to revise every single DF before to pinpoint others, but I don’t think there are many. In Kuma’s and Brook’s cases, I’d argue their fruits only affect their users in a way more similar to zoans, so their awakning means their self-abilities get new capabilities rather than affect the environment.
    It's possible, Brook is a main character after all so he might be an exception.

But what I hope is that he will eventually not only leave his body, but insert himself into something else. Literal possession, he "awakens" the environment through his own soul.

Back in Dressrosa I thought it would be so cool if he possessed the remnants of Pika's massive stone Golem, but I guess that would have been too op at the time.

I don’t see an issue? Crocodile was talking about mastery of his DF, and in my scenario he did master it. However, he would also be overestimating himself because he thought he had retained everything he got 20 years prior while in reality he had lost some strength over the years due to lack of challenges. His knowledge wasn’t lost thought. He still retains control over his DF. He’s just no longer in the same league as before. He’s like a world-class martial artists that spends 10 years just training students. He retains all of his skills, but his speed, strength and stamina are diminished due to not pushing himself to his limits.
    IMO, Arabasta Croc was a high quality blade that got dulled over time. It just need some sharpening to go back to its full glory.
    That's assuming that mastery equals awakening which I would consider a stretch. Because the OP world now is full of people who I would say are quite amazing at using their abilities and yet they don't seem to have awakened it. I admit that I don't have much else to add to my stance so it's quite weak. But I consider the sheer difference between Crocodile and Akainu/Aokiji in terms of what they are able to do with their abilities a clear sign that Croc is leagues below. Sakazuki snd Kuzan changed the climate of Punk Hazard which remained for yrars after their fight while Crocodile was at a place that was a desert kingdom to begin with and there he couldn't even stop a small sandstorm he created. I think if that's awakening then he surely is patheticly weak in comparison to the others. It would make more sense to me for awakening to be something he could still achieve to receive a power up for when he comes back.

Also if Crocodile awakened his ability then Luffy must have surely also have awakened his ability. Because in their second fight Luffy thanked Crocodile for telling him that one can train his ability which is what Luffy claims to be doing right there and then. And it was clearly not ability awakening that Luffy did neither back then there at any other point in the manga yet. It makes no sense to me for the auther to establish that Luffy is now doing the same thing that Crocidile was bragging about only for that to be two completely different things i.e. awakening for Crocodile and anything but awakening for Luffy. No offense mate, but if a made theory that uses a lit of ifs goes so much against what the author establishes in the series then I clearly think that it holds no water.
    Last edited by Ivotas; July 29th, 2021 at 04:27 PM.

What Luffy and Zala do sound like they're being creative within the limits of what their ability can do.

Producing string, then turning other objects into that same thing is clearly not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    It's possible, Brook is a main character after all so he might be an exception.

But what I hope is that he will eventually not only leave his body, but insert himself into something else. Literal possession, he "awakens" the environment through his own soul.
    I'm quite sure that something of that sort will happen at some point. Just like Wild Bill (I hope I remember that name correctly) was able to posses other people in Wanted I'm sure that we'll see one version of this in the story. Just feel like Oda would use that concept from hus very first oneshot at dome point. What worries me though about a possible awakening is that he might go reviving other characters. We already started having living Senzu beans by characzers like Mansherry. Don't living Dragonballs too.

A related Question for Greg:
    Oda has, in many interviews and extra material, been up front about how many things in the series were improvised, how his plans have been changed and updated, even explicit statements that he’s not yet sure how he’ll handle certain things. Yet I think its fair to say Oda has a general perception as a meticulous “master planner”, with the “Goda” moniker and all that. Do you have a sense of how Oda views this? Is this “master planner” idea something he, and the general franchise handlers, are aware of and actively leaning into? Or is it more borne out of the fandom?
    Note I’m obviously not saying Oda never plans anything or isn’t good at remembering and paying off very old setups, but I often just find theres such a gulf in how he is perceived in comparison to other shonen writers, where theres a more general attitude of “all of this probably wasn’t planned from day 1”
    Hmmm....

When you get to know how the sausage is made, there are aspects of the GOda image that fade.

The first few years I found myself constantly asking, "Wait...really?"

But while those aspects are revealed in a strikingly more down to earth light, entirely different aspects of his artistic and entertainment genius that you never even considered become apparent. Because he's (mercifully) so far removed from the public, those aspects aren't clear and if you ask the man himself, I'm sure he'd be happy they remain that way.

When Oda makes statements like, "I don't know how Luffy will beat Kaido." Make no mistake, he's being a showman. He's up there with Houdini and Barnum. He's not necessarily blatantly lying, but he's giving you a truth from a certain perspective. I have said this for a long time and people like to brush it off, but to be a great mangaka, you must be a legendary bullshit artist. Everything from depiction, to presentation, to product, the *better* you can bullshit, the more successful a manga artist you will be. And that's *not* an insult. Every great tale or joke is based on bullshit:

You're lead to believe something is impossible, but then, somehow, it becomes possible and the person telling you *knows* it's possible all along.

Simple concept. But the more impossible that 'something' sounds and the better you can explain how that 'something' gets pulled off, the more pleasing a story it is.

Oda doesn't just draw his story that way, everything he does is a calculated performance. I'd clarify that he's not lying. He *is* often misleading and there's a fine line between that and lying but when he's misleading it's often because he feels that the result will defy expectations or that the misleading itself can temper expectations.

Some of the most openly honest sessions Oda has had are in the 'Manga is a Wonderland' comments that came with some of the manga Logs. The general theme there was Oda revealing instances of serendipity. He was shockingly open there. But there are other aspects of the series' *major* developments that fans celebrate him for which, surprisingly enough, came as a result of mistakes on Oda's part with resolutions being born from the creative team. To my knowledge, he does not openly discuss those aspects due to what I assume to be a matter of pride (rightfully so) but that might be presumptuous.

So yes, Oda is aware of what the fans think of him (at least in Japan) and he plays that up to help his story and characters shine more brightly. Is he perfect? No. And he's not 'GOda' for the same reasons many people believe him to be. But on a number of different levels, he is a certifiable genius.

I guess one example of 'disappointment' would be hidden messages.

There are hidden messages in the series that I think only a handful of people in the world know about with most of them being in Japan.

The first half of the series is absolutely dripping in them.

I used to think they were all placed there by Oda but when I happily sent him enlarged panels praising him for his cleverness, he responded, "...What is this?" Turns out the majority of those messages were a result of the creative team.

I have explored that aspect of the series publicly....exactly once. I won't say what or where but it is an official outlet (ie. not here) and I wondered if I could sneakily present a behind-the-scenes aspect without trying to be too direct or point towards the mastermind. The result, Oda wasn't happy with the creative team adding certain aspects behind his back and had a long talk with them.

This is one of the many reasons I can't wait for serialization to end bc I can finally talk about all this cool stuff hidden in plain sight but if Oda isn't happy with it (and his unexpected reasons are great ones) then I'm not going to blab about them just because it'll get me some Followers.
    Last edited by Greg; July 29th, 2021 at 06:20 PM.

Greg what do you think about the fights being so short? I know Oda can't give every member of the crew a 2 to 3 chapter fight for every arc like he used to, because it brings the story to a halt and he'd never finish in time.... BUT this is a full on fight with a Yonko crew that Oda has been building to for over 10 YEARS, and most of the Straw Hat pirates haven't even got a single fight post timeskip, it just seems like this would be the time to let them have there big battles like he did against Baroque Works and CP9 because the next time we'll get to see something like this is probably the big face off against the Black Beard Pirates in the finale of the series

Just seeing Ulti, Page One, Who's Who and Sasaki get defeated so quickly was kind of sad, although I did really enjoy the show Who's Who put up

Even being able to play up those roles is a talent in itself, so Oda is a genius, no doubt.

Not trying to compare myself to him, but when I'm writing a story, I only really have an idea of how it starts and how it ends. Same with subplots, I know hat they will be about and how they end. I don't know how the road between those points, I make it up as it goes. And sometimes elements line up so perfectly, and I mean like two completely different plots that reach the perfect point to join together by coincidence around the same point of the story, that you jsut need to bridge them together, and boom, you have a totally unexpected development. Because not even I, the writer, was expecting it.

And this happens all the time, sometimes minor characters become greater, or you find out that some big character isn't working as intended and you change his role. In the story I'm writing right now, I had not planned a single of the antagonists' deaths or defeats before hand. I just knew how the heroes would be in the end. It's often while writing the chapters that the connections form in your brain and you find out the perfect way to off someone or align your objectives with how the story is going.

This is an immensely satisfying process, and that's why I love to overanalyze Oda's work a lot. There's some moments I feel he's just bridging together points he hadn't planned to be merged before. But there's also some scenes in which I think "This will have a greater meaning down the road, let's play close attention to it". It's thrilling when I manage to predict some twist, but also amazing when I'm totally surprised yet satisfied by a twist I couldn't foresee. Then I go back and re-read things to try to guess which of those were defined earlier or later.

you must be a legendary bullshit artist. Everything from depiction, to presentation, to product, the *better* you can bullshit, the more successful a manga artist you will be. And that's *not* an insult. Every great tale or joke is based on bullshit:
    Kinda what I said about the 4-5 years stuff. I knew the closer we got to a 2025 or 2026, people would realize there's too much to make it possible. It's not even 2022 yet and people are already removing themselves from that stance.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information