+ Reply to Thread
Page 508 of 533 FirstFirst ... 8 408 458 498 506 507 508 509 510 518 ... LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,160 of 10651

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

  1. #10141
    Division Commander Daz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Limbo

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Most of these expectations don't really stem from the concept of Awakening in itself, but is rather due to the fights themselves not feeling cathartic enough. As I said above, I think that mostly comes down to the fact that Jinbe's and Franky's fights against Who's Who and Sasaki were comparatively short (good, but short) while at the same time the big strength of the Beast pirates is their endurance, i. e. you can't keep them down, they just stand up again and again. So Sasaki and Who's Who going down quickly goes against what we know of the Beast pirates. Ulti on the other hand definitely showed her toughness, at the very least. People only want her to awaken so Nami can finish her off in a more satisfying manner.

    My point is, the fights don't feel unsatisfying because we need to see their Awakened forms, it's the other way around: People are clamoring for the Beast pirates to show their Awakened forms because they aren't fully satisfied with their fights yet.
    Oh, I definetely agree with this, this is the same perspective I was trying to convey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Of course, the fact that we haven't seen Zoan Awakenings since Impel Down and it's never been thematized in the story much does play a factor, too. It would be cool for Oda to showcase and explore Zoan Awakenings and the Beast pirates would be perfect for that. But I think you're overgeneralizing here. People didn't go into this arc fully expecting every Beast pirate officer to showcase their Awakened forms, this isn't a general expectation people have for fights now, except maybe for the main villain.
    I assure you I've seen a multitude of posters here voicing their anticipation that the top ranking Zoan officers will pull out Awakenings. The distinction might be that many did not necessarily "Go In" expecting them, but certainly are now, as a remedy to the- as you also say- percieved current "underwhelming" state of fights, and maybe the beast pirates as whole. And therein lies my larger problem, and my answer to your final question
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    What makes Awakening worse in your eyes? Isn't it just the fact that it's a trend that was introduced post-timeskip whereas Zoan hybrid forms as a 'trend' were introduced pre-timeskip?
    My issue is that the expectation of awakening means rejecting the current most straightforward interpretation of the current fights - as you say, theres an established pattern where zoan users use their hybrid form before getting put down for good, and this is pretty much what we've been getting for the last while. Hybrid form reveals, big double-spreads of someone landing a decisive blow to a Flying Six member, cut to something else. By all accounts the manga is selling the exact same pattern of "its time for the officers to go down", but the expectation of an awakening assisted tournaround means actively not buying into this. It means taking the big moments of Jinbe or Franky blowing their opponents away and reducing them to minor setbacks for their opponents at best, which just...isn't what the manga is selling. Relying on a future event to essentially provide a do-over for what you've just seen is the kind of perspective that can make the entire raid fall apart in retrospect - "there was no act 4 with Awakening rebounds? Then...that means the fight conclusions were actually all bad all along!"

  2. #10142
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I could definetely see Kaidou getting some awakening-trump card based on the precedence with Doflamingo and Katakuri, but my point was more reffering to the trend that every fight - or at least specifically the Zoan Beast Pirate fighters - is due an awakening, almost solely because the fights as is don't feel "proper". That the process of Awakening will include some sort of instant-healing factor that puts Ulti, Pageone, Whoswho and Sasaki back on their feet so they can get "proper" defeats, and make the beast pirates "proper" threatening, and provide the "proper" All Is Lost moment. Its the idea that no matter how cool and impactful a double spread of Whoswho or Sasaki being sent flying, this can't be taken at face value as a defeat, because they didn't awaken. Theres an expected point on the checklist that has not been checked yet, so they can't be finished. Thats what I mean by comparing to Bankai, because in any given Bleach fight, no one would accept a fight as thoroughly concluded before the fighters had shown of their Bankai/ ressuricion / whatever the sternritters had.
    I see.

    ________

    Well, I don't think it's fair to count on the awakening as if it's something Oda is owing us, at least when it concerns the lower commanders. I'm also not disappointed because the fights don't feel super "intimate", because they rarely are. And even if they were not, the main purpose of this war, as far as I understand it, is to show that the Straw Hats can tango with a Yonkou crew. So I never expected Franky vs. Sasaki to be comparable to his fight with Mr. Pink, which was comparatively... deep? It had another layer of... intimacy?
    This war is about performance, about legitimacy. When this is over Luffy won't be considered half a Yonkou anymore, while his subordinates are suddenly part of the three great powers of the world.

    Of course we could say that we should get both, proper 1 vs. 1's *and* an organic / satisfying execution on every level, but from my point of view that's asking too much. It's greedy. At least in this total war scenario with 50 named sidecharacters.

    I remember when a good portion of the forum worried that we won't be getting 1 vs. 1 battles at all:

    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    I have deep concerns regarding hope for significant chapter-long named 1v1's here.

    Oda...please don't forget your bread and butter.
    and now when we got those fights we still ask for more. Like it's understandable, I think it would be great if we would get more than 1 chapters battles. Because this is a special occasion, not your average arc. But I don't think Oda delivers poorly here. (Except for the Nami fiasco, fuck that.)

    Anyway, I believe the issue will be resolved once Black Maria is down, at which point Oda can announce the complete loss of the Flying Six in one big omph-moment. Then we can move on to King & Queen, followed by the Kaido climax.


  3. #10143
    Discovered Stowaway Riddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Oh, I definetely agree with this, this is the same perspective I was trying to convey.


    I assure you I've seen a multitude of posters here voicing their anticipation that the top ranking Zoan officers will pull out Awakenings. The distinction might be that many did not necessarily "Go In" expecting them, but certainly are now, as a remedy to the- as you also say- percieved current "underwhelming" state of fights, and maybe the beast pirates as whole. And therein lies my larger problem, and my answer to your final question

    My issue is that the expectation of awakening means rejecting the current most straightforward interpretation of the current fights - as you say, theres an established pattern where zoan users use their hybrid form before getting put down for good, and this is pretty much what we've been getting for the last while. Hybrid form reveals, big double-spreads of someone landing a decisive blow to a Flying Six member, cut to something else. By all accounts the manga is selling the exact same pattern of "its time for the officers to go down", but the expectation of an awakening assisted tournaround means actively not buying into this. It means taking the big moments of Jinbe or Franky blowing their opponents away and reducing them to minor setbacks for their opponents at best, which just...isn't what the manga is selling. Relying on a future event to essentially provide a do-over for what you've just seen is the kind of perspective that can make the entire raid fall apart in retrospect - "there was no act 4 with Awakening rebounds? Then...that means the fight conclusions were actually all bad all along!"
    I see your point, but it does read like you are blaming Oda for introducing Awakening as a new trend and thus raising our expectations for the fights, leading to readers being disappointed with what we are actually getting. And I don't think that's fair, because I don't think Oda ever set up that Beast Pirate officers would show their awakened forms. Imo it's completely on the fans themeselves who get so obsessed with their act 4 theory that they are just setting themselves up for disappointment when it doesn't happen. And the only reason people expect a huge dramatic moment of despair to end the act is because they read that that's how Act 3 is supposed to end and they are waiting for that.

    Sure, we all want dramatic tension and desperate moments so that the victory feels more earned, but there have been plenty of moments like this already, and there will be a lot more. See Chapter 1014 for example. But people want those moments to linger for multiple chapters for some reason, even though there is barely any precedent for that in One Piece. Not to mention that the moment when everything seems lost usually comes after the main subordinates have been defeated already.

  4. #10144
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Oda's not going to do a 10 year project after OP is done. I have doubts about him managing anything in a single volume, but planning anything big ever again seems unlikely.

    And I would prefer he do anythign BUT the OP universe. Let him do something totally new. OP spinoffs and movies will keep giving us new content forever, I'd rather see what else Oda can do when working from a clean slate.
    I'm hoping after a well deserved break that Oda has the same time management and estimation skills so something intended to go 2 months goes a year, 2 years turns in to 5, 5 in to 10. Then just like that another great run.

    All it takes is a few ppl or editors or the inspiration hitting Oda to add more characters. Then the story will grow beyond what he initially thought.

    As for being set in the OP universe. The Wanted one shots were. Well most of them from the way they read (Gil Hard as, Ikki Yakko). So why not another?
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  5. #10145

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Next to nothing has been established about anything on this topic. We've got no concrete idea how any awakenings work, for any kind of fruit. I remember a long period where the main theory behind Impel Down's "Awakened Zoans" was that they'd fed an animal a fruit of its own type, achieving the "enlightenment" alluded to in the SBS question about a human eating the Human Human Fruit.

    Everyone assumes all Paramecia awakenings would work the same way as Doflamingo's, using the power to transform the environment. But how would that work for, say, Sugar and her touch activated power, or Foxy's projectile he can't actively manipulate once it leaves his body.

    And there hasn't been any in-universe talk about how Logia awakenings work at all. There's a theory that it could be permanent environmental changes like what happened at Punk Hazard. I think that would make sense, but we just don't know for sure.

    Awakening on the whole is one big unknown at the minute and anyone who's set on something specific they're hoping to see from it is risking disappointment.
    I agree that people are risking disappointment but I would also say that the simplest answer is just accept what we've seen so far as the extent of it, which is that Zoan awakening forms are mindless beasts. It would explain why none of the Beast Pirates would want to awakening unless it was do or die (which we may still see in this arc, it depends on how awakening is activated which we don't really know yet but based on what we do know for Paramecia, it seems like training it).

    I would say for Paramecia, given that the entire category is basically the misc. category it should be obvious that their awakening power can be whatever.

  6. #10146

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    I find a big hiccup (if you can call it that) with awakening is that I've seen so little of it I don't know where to expect it.

    Add to that a situation where the Strawhats are taking the steps from being just a strong crew to people playing on the same field as the emperors. There's a certain awkwardness to gauging the strength of the enemies, I had no idea what to expect from the Tobi Roppo. They're the elites of a Emperor crew so of course they must be strong, but they also need to be weak enough where the strawhats can beat them. And frankly I don't know how Oda would go about solving that bump. So would these people be strong enough or not for awakening? As it turns out they most likely aren't.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:


  7. #10147

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Just catching up but I feel like the unsatisfying fights are a problem of people having unrealistic expectations of the Beast Pirates. I know they have been hyped up as one of the strongest pirate crews but at this point the Straw Hats are almost certainly in that bracket. Like, I feel at this point even if Nami and Usopp are weak by comparison to Ulti and Page One, they are still far stronger than most other pirates out there and far stronger than how they were two years ago. So they should be able to stand up to some of the strongest pirates out there at this point.

  8. #10148
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Oh no, that's not what I meant.

    I'm not talking about the Devil fruit replacing the personality, I imagine it more like the user letting the animal instincts take over willingly.
    Oh ok. That's what I confused "the devil taking over the user" for.
    See, most here consider their state of mind a negative side effect, but that's not necessarily the case in a battle situation. Remember Gomu Gomu no Baka?



    Letting his instincts take over allowed him to dodge every move Enel made. In the end it didn't work because he couldn't switch into offense in this mindless state, but snotnose mode had clear benefits beyond comic relief.
    Now that I always wondered if it was a devil fruit related ability. I thought it was based more on Luffy's stupidity and ability to space out. It's basically a version of Dragonball Super's ultra instinct.

    I'm not sure rubber related.

    The instinct stuff to me has more to do with zoans and the animal instinct in the more carnivorous animals.

    Now, what I'm saying is that the Awakened Zoan mode might offer a state of mind purely focused on instinct and battle. Gomo Gomu no Baka, just with the animal instincts allowing for offense based on the will to kill.
    Like, awakened Zoans would surely not lose their haki because someone saw their eel fish mouth.
    I think it's simply more of the animal mind. Fight or flight.

    That's how the Impel Down guards came off just with a little of their personality seeping through.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  9. #10149

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    My issue with awakenings is that for a big majority of paramecia, it just doesn't make sense, how can law's fruit become more op? what about how bonney's fruit works? or foxy's or shiki's or moria's or big mom's, or the quake fruit?

    And compared with what Doffy or Katakuri were already doing, the clones, the armament haki arms from any angle, the birdcage, awakening only translated into "let me make my basic attack again, but bigger and from outside me".

    I would have believed (and liked it better) that Mingo reeling back in all threads he already had in use to spear luffy with them, or Katakuri doing his best logia impression and getting access to more rice flour or fully made mochi would have worked the same, I would have liked it more that awakening was for zoan only...

    And for logias is kinda worse still, Croc was great because he chose Alabasta as his home turf AND could make more desert on comand, Enel bypassed any limitation of his fruit thanks to Maxim, Akainu can make magma on any land, Aokiji can bullshit any ice on any non desertic island through atmospheric water drops, so now a logia, instead of making more of their elemement through it can just awaken and turn anything but the sea (maybe) into it.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  10. #10150

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    My issue with awakenings is that for a big majority of paramecia, it just doesn't make sense
    That' why Oda will not awaken all DFs.

    About Law, we know it will give immortality to someone.

    About logias such as Kuzan or the magma dude. It can literally change the atmosphere of the entire island even years after a fight...

    Bigmom's fruit is probably already awakened and we've probably already seen what it looks like somehow.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

  11. #10151

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    I also feel some of the fruits we've seen were already awakened. Like, we readers think that's the normal power, but it's already in an advanced state.

    For instance, maybe Kuma's is so overpowered because it's already awakened. The basic version wouldn't allow to push out pain or send people islands away.

    I like this kind of headcanon whenever a fruit feels too overpowered or too versatile. It helps explain why some powers are so much stranger than similar ones.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  12. #10152
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    My issue with awakenings is that for a big majority of paramecia, it just doesn't make sense, how can law's fruit become more op?
    The room is instantly bigger without trying?

    Maybe he doesn't die if he makes someone immortal/eternal youth?

    Just speculating:

    what about how bonney's fruit works?
    We don't fully know how her ability works but I'd say maybe she doesn't even need to touch you now to age you. If it isn't permanent, maybe it is permanent.
    foxy's
    A slow wave instead of beam? Making everyone around him slow while he moves at normal speed?

    shiki's
    Doesn't need to touch, can make living beings float, and it goes in to overdrive as full on atomic level telekinesis.
    moria's
    Salt doesn't work on zombies, he doesn't even need physically cut the shadow from you now he can just summon it to him and instantly kill you in the sunlight.

    big mom's
    That's easy. No fear stipulation for her take your life force. She just takes it. Maybe she can also have her soul leave her body like Brook's.

    quake fruit?
    This is a wonder cuz how more destructive can it get?

    I use to think WB had already awakened it given jt apparently works on a global level. If not maybe thats the next step, worldwide earthquake.

    And compared with what Doffy or Katakuri were already doing, the clones, the armament haki arms from any angle, the birdcage, awakening only translated into "let me make my basic attack again, but bigger and from outside me".

    I would have believed (and liked it better) that Mingo reeling back in all threads he already had in use to spear luffy with them, or Katakuri doing his best logia impression and getting access to more rice flour or fully made mochi would have worked the same, I would have liked it more that awakening was for zoan only...

    And for logias is kinda worse still, Croc was great because he chose Alabasta as his home turf AND could make more desert on comand, Enel bypassed any limitation of his fruit thanks to Maxim, Akainu can make magma on any land, Aokiji can bullshit any ice on any non desertic island through atmospheric water drops, so now a logia, instead of making more of their elemement through it can just awaken and turn anything but the sea (maybe) into it.
    Thats why I think Oda should stress it's incredibly difficult to awaken your devil fruit ability even for the most powerful and special characters in OP or it takes a special super rare situation.

    He needs to double back and say the ID guards got awakened through Vegapunk's scientific means and it was so unnatural that it had side effect of taking away the user's minds.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  13. #10153

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I also feel some of the fruits we've seen were already awakened. Like, we readers think that's the normal power, but it's already in an advanced state.

    For instance, maybe Kuma's is so overpowered because it's already awakened. The basic version wouldn't allow to push out pain or send people islands away.

    I like this kind of headcanon whenever a fruit feels too overpowered or too versatile. It helps explain why some powers are so much stranger than similar ones.
    I completely disagree, why would Oda tell us when some are awakened and some aren't

    If he has a df awaken he'll say it, otherwise it's just an overpowered fruit

    if you want to believe otherwise that's just fine but I wouldn't go around calling devil fruits awakened when Oda hasn't specifically stated it as a fact

    it's not just you though, my friend thinks Crocodile's fruit is awakened because of his ability to suck out moisture from things he touches

    I think if it's awakened Oda will say so

    Like once we finally learned what observation haki was he immediately told us it's what enel and all of them used in Skypeia

    and I agree with Maxterdaxter that paramecia df awakenings just don't make sense in some cases
    Last edited by Shiebs; July 27th, 2021 at 06:48 PM.

  14. #10154

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Maybe the awakening question would be someone great to ask Oda in an SBS! o:

    Though I'm not sure if Oda uses fan mail from non-Japanese One Piece fans for these types of things.

  15. #10155
    Discovered Stowaway Riccardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    the Netherlands

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    I don't think it's a very controversial opinion, but I believe the awakening of devil fruits is one of the worst additions Oda made in the story. It adds nothing new or creative, makes things needlessly complex and seems like a Deus Ex Machina waiting to happen when characters (protagonist or antagonist) need to be stronger. The awakened zoan fruits at first seemed fine; although they are just stronger and more durable the "devil in the fruit" seemed to have taken control over the user's body. But the paramacia-users ruined it completely. What use is changing your surroundings in strings when you already can create an infinte amount of string out of thin air? Who cares that Katakuri can create more mochi out of inorganic materials while the more interesting part of his fruit (the seemingly logia-like nature of his fruit) has nothing to do with the awakening of it?

  16. #10156
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    That' why Oda will not awaken all DFs.

    About Law, we know it will give immortality to someone.

    About logias such as Kuzan or the magma dude. It can literally change the atmosphere of the entire island even years after a fight...

    Bigmom's fruit is probably already awakened and we've probably already seen what it looks like somehow.
    Yeah, doubt he'll make the awkward ones awaken. Besides, why should they all be awakened anyway. It should be reserved for the best of the best. And zoans who start relying on their fruits too much.

    As for Law, is it awakening or just a special technique that doesn't need awakening at all?

    About logias and climate change, that doesn't even need to be awakening. Considering every island in OP world has a separate climate, it doesn't take that much to change the weather for good. Plus PH already had it's climate fucked up beforehand thanks to CC. So basically it was probably a clean slate for new climate. But if any logia achieved awakening, those 2 are probably prime candidates, considering how long they had to play with their abilities.

    Wondering if we'll ever get into intricacies of BM's fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  17. #10157

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I completely disagree, why would Oda tell us when some are awakened and some aren't

    If he has a df awaken he'll say it, otherwise it's just an overpowered fruit

    if you want to believe otherwise that's just fine but I wouldn't go around calling devil fruits awakened when Oda hasn't specifically stated it as a fact

    it's not just you though, my friend thinks Crocodile's fruit is awakened because of his ability to suck out moisture from things he touches

    I think if it's awakened Oda will say so

    Like once we finally learned what observation haki was he immediately told us it's what enel and all of them used in Skypeia

    and I agree with Maxterdaxter that paramecia df awakenings just don't make sense in some cases
    I see awakening the same way I see haki. It's something that has been in the story since forever, the author had it in the back of his mind, even if it wasn't fully fleshed out, and left hints of it here and there, while not telling us anything clear until the moment for a real explanation.

    I feel we've seen awakened fruits since at least Arabasta. It's just those powers were never detailed before.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  18. #10158
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Feel like awakening should have been left strictly with zoans. Since the other types of fruit seemingly lack living creature DNA.

    Plus, logia are already overpowered and can practically throw their element around as much as they want. Perhaps awakening should have been the reason why some of them can be intangible. User becomes one with the element and can thus avoid attacks. But not automatically. That could have made Armament Haki irrelevant.

    Paramecia are just multiple categories bundled up under one name. We have permanently changed users, morphers, creators, physics manipulators, concept utilizers... So string fruit awakening makes the person who can create strings turn every object into strings. How does that translate to an ability that allows the user to return the damage they took equally, or to user who shoots slow rays or to person who turns people into toys and makes everyone forget about them or to a person who grows their own limbs both from her body or from other surfaces... Like seriously, Robin can already grow limbs from houses. When she awakens, can she grow another house from an existing house? Or does the fact she can create a clone mean that she's already awakened it?

    Needlessly complicated, like I said, and should have been left to zoans, maybe to give their more straightforward toolset an edge against the more hax abilities. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Razh; July 28th, 2021 at 07:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  19. #10159
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    New column is up but I think I might have discussed a number of the topics here already.

    If you're expecting Oda to do anything long term after OP, don't hold your breath.

    He wants nothing more than to be done. But he's also a badass who doesn't want to half-ass anything so he's doing his best.

    If he doesn't go the same route as Toriyama I'll eat my underwear.

    The man's great-grandkids won't need to work a day in their lives.

  20. #10160

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I also feel some of the fruits we've seen were already awakened. Like, we readers think that's the normal power, but it's already in an advanced state.

    For instance, maybe Kuma's is so overpowered because it's already awakened. The basic version wouldn't allow to push out pain or send people islands away.

    I like this kind of headcanon whenever a fruit feels too overpowered or too versatile. It helps explain why some powers are so much stranger than similar ones.
    I always felt like Crocodile's fruit was awakened when we heard about the concept.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Feel like awakening should have been left strictly with zoans. Since the other types of fruit seemingly lack living creature DNA.

    Plus, logia are already overpowered and can practically throw their element around as much as they want. Perhaps awakening should have been the reason why some of them can be intangible. User becomes one with the element and can thus avoid attacks. But not automatically. That could have made Armament Haki irrelevant.

    Paramecia are just multiple categories bundled up under one name. We have permanently changed users, morphers, creators, physics manipulators, concept utilizers... So string fruit awakening makes the person who can create strings turn every object into strings. How does that translate to an ability that allows the user to return the damage they took equally, or to user who shoots slow rays or to person who turns people into toys and makes everyone forget about them or to a person who grows their own limbs both from her body or from other surfaces... Like seriously, Robin can already grow limbs from houses. When she awakens, can she grow another house from an existing house? Or does the fact she can create a clone mean that she's already awakened it?

    Needlessly complicated, like I said, and should have been left to zoans, maybe to give their more straightforward toolset an edge against the more hax abilities. But that's just my opinion.
    I feel like people have the idea that all Awakenings should be the same because the two samples we've confirmed are relatively the same. I saw the same problem with bankais in Bleach.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. Kishido

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts