+ Reply to Thread
Page 422 of 525 FirstFirst ... 322 372 412 420 421 422 423 424 432 472 522 ... LastLast
Results 8,421 to 8,440 of 10491

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    But thats literally not what Inurashi is saying there. He still says they should travel to Lodestar and continue their journey there. Though, yes, it was a means to allow Luffy and crew to obtain at least 3 Road Poneglyphs before getting to that point.

Lodestar is still a fundamentally important location they should visit. We have no idea exactly what other revelations are found out there. I also think we are speaking way too soon about the fate of Kanjuro (and subsequently Orochi)
    Looking at the chapter, Inurashi doesn't say they have to go to Lodestar, he just tells Nami that "they haven't lost their way, and should continue on". That is very ambiguous and could mean anything. Sort of like "keep progressing and the adventure will take you to your goal eventually".

And if the strawhats do feel like going to Lodestar at some point, there are some ways Oda could convince them to give up on that and rush to Laugh Tale, such as Blackbeard finding a way to get there first (or bluffing about that so he can follow the strawhats).

The important thing is that Lodestar is no longer mandatory, and the plot won't lose anything if whatever relevations were reserved to it are moved to Laugh Tale. And since Oda clearly wants to end it as fast as he can, I don't see him doing it, unless Lodestar just happens to be the setting of something else he must do (i. e. Shanks, Vegapunk, Revolutionaires arc).

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Most of the Marineford is going from point A to point B and showing many clashes to create the atmosphere of the event. Besides that, the war was centered around Ace and Whitebeard, basically doing most of their introduction and development through some capital chapters.

Some new ideas were introduced for the future, but those usually happen in one page here, another page there, and sometimes a chapter focused on Teach or Akainu or Shanks.
    It's not about how many panels or pages it took to introduce those things. It's where they meet their end. We're still learning about WB's 2 crews. Rocks is ongoing. Ace met Yamato. Marco is here to help. Bakkin and Weevil are not his baby mama and kid. Why are they even using that narrative when Weevil is tough on his own? There's purpose in that. WB's home was used as an example of a place that can't provide the tribute.

The chase for Luffy was strengthened when his father was revealed. Crocodile got something out of the war and his role is a mystery. The war introduced Sabo and even those Goa kids were watching Caesar's exhibition. Oda gave us a new big brother and was dramatic about it. I feel like i'm the only one who questions why Mr Relentless (Sakazuki) came to a halt when Shanks arrived, but was so aggressive with WB. Then that becomes even more evident when Shanks shows up before the Gorosei. There's a reason why Mr. Relentless stopped before Sengoku spoke and Sengoku agreed to Shanks request. It can be assumed that it's just "Shank's crew is strong" but that isn't the case when he can appear before the Gorosei and speak.

I'm not even getting to Buggy, Jinbe, and other threads that were repurposed or newly ushered into this arc.

The story contradicts the 4-5 years statement in every way. Imagine not being a skeptic because Oda is God as one stated earlier. Some are saying that being skeptical is wrong in a sense, aren't giving me anything to change my mind. I understand why they aren't skeptical tho. It's fatigue and fear or the story going bad, so they end up believing it.

I think that is the intended feeling that Oda wants. some confidence from fatigued and fearful readers that they will get that ending quickly. He should say it with his chest tho. I need a "it will finish in 2024". Stop pump faking Oda. All this says to me is that Oda is aware of the mindset of some of his readers, which is a good thing for a writer, but can easily be a slippery slope.

But this is totally not true at all.Add in all of the major characters and plotlines that still need to be addressed and all of them amount to something way bigger and way larger than anything Dressrosa or Wano have done on scale, even with their apparent "unnecessary additions".
    Well, wait and see, I guess.

I'm also being confused at where the line is being drawn between unnecessary and necessary tbh. 5 of 9 scabbards were introduced before Wano even started. The supernova were all characters before Wano started. Kaido realistically only has like 9 actual crew members outside of the Numbers, and the amount of headliners was done to realistically match the idea of both BM and Kaido having literal armies as crews. All of this has helped characterize, populate and structure an arc. Arcs are not personal anymore like Thriller Bark or CP-9, they've gotten way more grandiose.
    That's a complicated discussion, and very subjective, and I don't have the energy right now. But that's why I made that comparison with Alabasta talking about only the local characters as a point of reference. In Alabasta, Oda kept it to the minimum that was sufficient to make that story work, while in Wano he goes much further the necessary.

Obviously, Wano's bigger in scale, but Oda extrapolates the scale itself.

If Oda had written Alabasta like he writes Wano, then we would have Vivi, her cute little sister, her evil uncle, six major royal guards infiltrating Baroque Works, five leaders of the rebel force alongside Kohza, Toto and Tata in Yuba, local friends in Rainbase and Nanohana, and then we would discover a new cast of side characters once the crew arrived in Alubarna.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    Looking at the chapter, Inurashi doesn't say they have to go to Lodestar, he just tells Nami that "they haven't lost their way, and should continue on". That is very ambiguous and could mean anything. Sort of like "keep progressing and the adventure will take you to your goal eventually".

And if the strawhats do feel like going to Lodestar at some point, there are some ways Oda could convince them to give up on that and rush to Laugh Tale, such as Blackbeard finding a way to get there first (or bluffing about that so he can follow the strawhats).

The important thing is that Lodestar is no longer mandatory, and the plot won't lose anything if whatever relevations were reserved to it are moved to Laugh Tale. And since Oda clearly wants to end it as fast as he can, I don't see him doing it, unless Lodestar just happens to be the setting of something else he must do (i. e. Shanks, Vegapunk, Revolutionaires arc).
    Except read the other portions of Inuarashi's dialogue more carefully, he says: " Normally...it is when you reach the log's end point that you come to a realization...about the mystery of the ancient writing on the ponegliffs! And the civilization that gave birth to them..and the existence of Laugh Tale, the final, unseen island!! Crocus was a crewmate of the king of the pirates--one of those who knows all. He would not lie about that unless he disliked yougara. Don't worry. You are not on the wrong path. Continue on your way!!"

There is clearly more information to be had about the Ancient Kingdom and how the poneglyph's came to be that is not strictly found on the Rio Poneglyphs and the true history. Right here Inu is suggesting that Crocus was not wrong to send them to (the final island on grandline) and that their journey is not the wrong path.

At this point, Wano will only end with 3 poneglyphs. This means they have to at least keep heading towards Lodestar for at least one more island. This could be Elbaf, or it could be a totally different Island. Essentially the options are:

- Elbaf is next, and it has the 4th Road Poneglyph
    - Another unknown island is next, and it has the 4th RP
    - Elbaf is next, and it does not have the 4th RP, indicating they must travel further (presumably towards another island or Lodestar).
    - Another unknown island is next, and it does not have the 4th RP, indicating the must travel further (presumably towards Elbaf or Lodestar).
    - Marco knows the direct location of the 4th RP seeing as it disappeared from Fishman Island, WB's territory (this could help the point that Oda is increasing the pace).

But then as you mention, there could additionally be some plot related reason Lodestar becomes important in the future, on top of the pure fact that it has information there we don't know about yet, like Inu describes. If it talks about the Ancient Kingdom, thats already more information than we are privy to.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Well, wait and see, I guess.

That's a complicated discussion, and very subjective, and I don't have the energy right now. But that's why I made that comparison with Alabasta talking about only the local characters as a point of reference. In Alabasta, Oda kept it to the minimum that was sufficient to make that story work, while in Wano he goes much further the necessary.

Obviously, Wano's bigger in scale, but Oda extrapolates the scale itself.

If Oda had written Alabasta like he writes Wano, then we would have Vivi, her cute little sister, her evil uncle, six major royal guards infiltrating Baroque Works, five leaders of the rebel force alongside Kohza, Toto and Tata in Yuba, local friends in Rainbase and Nanohana, and then we would discover a new cast of side characters once the crew arrived in Alubarna.
    Touche, and I agree. All we can do is truly wait until we know more. Hopefully the end of Act 3 is coming soon and we can at least learn of the status of some characters before being thrown into all of the battles for the remainder of the arc.

The crew isn't ready. 1 step at a time.

Spoiler:

Here's my theoretical roadmap:

Wano: 50-60 more chapters, between the alliance being defeated, moving to Wano, getting an Yamato/Kaido flashback, grand fleet appearing and beating some fodder, all fights (flying 6, calamities, and both yonkou), and an epilogue.

Vegapunk Arc: 30-40 chapters. Will happen at some WG place. Solve the Vivi/Sabo issue (possibly re-recruit Vivi to the crew), solve Kuma/Bonney plot, introduce the new pacifista models and whatever weapon the WG has, possibly introduce Green Bull.

Elbaf Arc: 20-30 chapters. Shanks appears and challenges Luffy to a davy back fight for the strawhat and the last poneglyph. Zoro fights Mihawk. Possible Weevil resolution.

Laugh Tale: 40-50 chapters. Crew finds the way there, runs into BB pirates. BB/Rocks flashback. All 1v1 fights between the two crews. They find the One Piece. Joy Boy/Void Century flashback.

Final War: 80-120 chapters. All allies, ancient weapons and pirates come together, world government shows everything they got. Extended final fighs against all admirals, Imu and maybe some new Super Pacifista. Long epilogue showing what everyone is doing after the end.

That's 260 chapters on average, or ending in Chapter ~1250. Using the current rate of 38 chapters a year and assuming the pandemic doesn't last much longer, that gives us a little under 7 years. Which is just in time for One Piece's 30 year aniversary.

Even if the pandemic isn't that much of an obstacle anymore, Oda has already been on a trend when it comes to the decrease of chapters per year. He slowly went from 40-42 a year to averaging 39. I don't see more than 45 chapters left in Wano.

Unless Yamato is going to be a Momo retainer, why does he even exist? A SH? In the latter half of the arc? You're really trying to end it by 2024 there Oda. Add that onto the "small mountain"

I think I saw someone posting a table that shows Oda's number of chapters a year was almost constant from 2013 to 2019, actually.

As for Yamato, maybe he's not a SH, but he certainly seems to be a major ally. He's appeared every chapter since his introduction.

I'm only using past examples of Oda's habits as well has his consistent plot teasing to prove my point, but I digress lol. At this point it's just better to wait and see how Wano itself even manages to finish. It seems like we'll be here at least for another year but maybe an Act-break helps us have more discussion on the ending being "close" or not.
    From where i'm sitting the running implication seems to be that the fans have come to understand the story requirements to a higher degree than the man writing it. I mean to argue a checklist for why it can't be done in reply to an author quote claiming the opposite surely implies a belief that Oda is not sufficiently aware of these things and need reminding and guiding from the sidelines of where it has to go. To me it feels too conceited for fans to think that they can predict and calculate an to them unknown story trajectory to a better degree than the author based on whatever bits and pieces they've picked up by reading it.

I did something like that last year May. I need to update it. I don't see it falling under 38 on average anytime soon.

2010 - 40
    2011 – 42
    2012 – 651-693 43
    13 – 694-732 39
    14 -733-771 39
    15 – 772-810 39
    16 – 811-850 40
    17 – 851-889 39
    18 – 890-928 39
    19 – 929-now

@wolwood
    Being skeptical of a comment doesn't equate to thinking you know or have more insight than the writer. If that is the only way that you view skepticism, then that further proves that you want it to be true for some reason. Every statement about skeptics from you shows a sign of irritation that some can even question your God Oda.
    Last edited by Cockycent; August 27th, 2020 at 05:12 PM.

I'm looking forward to all the lists people will make of the things that were left unanswered, one One Piece ends.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    From where i'm sitting the running implication seems to be that the fans have come to understand the story requirements to a higher degree than the man writing it. I mean to argue a checklist for why it can't be done in reply to an author quote claiming the opposite surely implies a belief that Oda is not sufficiently aware of these things and need reminding and guiding from the sidelines of where it has to go. To me it feels too conceited for fans to think that they can predict and calculate an to them unknown story trajectory to a better degree than the author based on whatever bits and pieces they've picked up by reading it.
    I don't think it's at all conceited to not just take it at face value. Oda promised his wife that he would end One Piece in 5 years, 15 years ago according to the interview. I'll say again, I think it comes down to two factors:

1) I think Oda is saying, to a degree, what he believes readers want to hear. One Piece has gone on a long time and people now frequently ask when it will end. I don't think Oda wants to send the message that he's just going to go on forever, that there's no end in sight. Especially with series like Demon Slayer capturing younger reader's attention. It's harder and harder to get new readers to invest the time to catch up. So I think Oda feels an obligation to his readers to promise the end is coming, that he's working toward the conclusion. It seems more like an overly optimistic answer you give your parent when they ask you how long it will take to finish your homework. How much longer? I think 2-3 hours. I used to always tell my parents an unrealistically optimistic estimation so that they wouldn't be upset, even when I knew, in reality, it would take more like 6-7, maybe 8 hours.

2) Artists underestimate the time it takes to create something. Inspiration strikes. Just look at GRRM with A Song of Ice and Fire, James Cameron with Avatar. Where artists are allowed the luxury to complete a project at their own pace, if they care about that project deeply, it is almost certainly going to take longer than expected / estimated. Where projects rush is where corporate interest are involved. Where a studio or a company just needs to get a movie in theaters, a book on the shelves, even if it isn't perfect.

I just don't think it's actually going to happen in 5 years. The best laid plans (of maps and fishmen) often go awry. I think pointing out the volume of things that remain unaddressed is just meant to evidence the fact that there's a lot left on the table. No, not all of them will have dedicated arcs. Most won't. But even combining things, I don't think Oda, as an artist who really seems to enjoy writing, is very interested in rushing to the extent that these plot threads are dropped entirely.

But more than the list of things that are still out there waiting to be explored, I think we can look at the actual pacing of the manga. I really don't think Oda is rushing things along. There were a lot of narrative shortcuts he could have taken with Wano. It didn't need to take 80 chapters to get to the battle. There were a number of characters who could've been cut. Oden's flashback could have been much shorter. It wouldn't have been better, but it would've gotten the point across. I really just don't agree with the notion that he's gonna breeze past a lot of things he set up because his track record says otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    I'm looking forward to all the lists people will make of the things that were left unanswered, one One Piece ends.
    Okay, but seriously, who was shooting from the other outrigger? And what do the numbers mean?
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

My grandchildren will be able to come to AP some day and participate in arguments on whether Carrot should have joined the crew or not.

The anime is handling Yasuie's death better than Oda did. Similar to how they dealt with Pedro's death. More emphasis on Toko and Yasuie's current presence in the community. Wish this was consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    Okay, but seriously, who was shooting from the other outrigger? And what do the numbers mean?
    Was it me? No but seriously, do you doubt that Oda wants to end the story within a certain time frame? I'm not buying the 5 years he keeps saying but I'm not expecting absolutely everything to be dealt with either.

It seems more like an overly optimistic answer you give your parent when they ask you how long it will take to finish your homework. How much longer? I think 2-3 hours. I used to always tell my parents an unrealistically optimistic estimation so that they wouldn't be upset, even when I knew, in reality, it would take more like 6-7, maybe 8 hours.
    Wow, what kind of homework have you been subjected to???

The outrigger was a crew from the black rock. Showcased in the supplementary materials on the dvd, cut for time in season 6 because they just couldn't figure out where to put it in that would flow with the story.

The numbers are the core numerical values of the Valenzetti Equation, an equation used to predict the date of human extinction. Each number represents one of the DHARMA Initiative fields of study, such as electromagnetism and psychology.Those numbers were made into a password and hatch number, and through the shenanigans of time travel, radio transmissions, pure coincidence, and bad luck, led to Hurley thinking they were cursed, but they had no such power. As well, the numbers corresponded to the chosen groups flight, seat numbers, and the dial in the lighthouse, at least some of which Jacob was privy to and influenced, and made into one of his lists. How much Jacob knew or understood about the equation is unclear, but he knew it could find the guy to replace him and help fix the cycle and save the world.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Oda really want to finish in 5 years that bad huh? Then it'll be less than 200 chapter to go. He sould not dragged some arc too much like Dressrosa, WCI, etc. Also, get ready for a lot of offpaneling some plot points that didn't feature Luffy.

For Elbaf thing, i bet it's just short arc and after Luffy become Pirate King. The crews go there for help with military for final war because Elbaf is the strongest military.

Wow, what kind of homework have you been subjected to???
    My degrees were in engineering lol

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    Was it me? No but seriously, do you doubt that Oda wants to end the story within a certain time frame? I'm not buying the 5 years he keeps saying but I'm not expecting absolutely everything to be dealt with either.
    I think it's a mix. I think he's being optimistic. And I'm not that far off from you probably. I don't think all the things on the checklists will be addressed in full detail, but I think everything that Oda considers important will be touched on. Generally speaking, I don't think Oda cuts things. I think he just combines them. But I do think there's a significant enough volume of important enough things that it makes the estimate unrealistic. And I think Oda probably knows that to an extent. That's why I think there's a degree of optimism (Oda wants to finish within a certain time frame and without being in the middle of writing it, thinks he can do it quickly, but the reality, when he gets there and really cares about the story, will result in those things taking longer) and I also think it's partially to tell the readers he's working toward a real goal, not just spinning his wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The outrigger was a crew from the black rock. Showcased in the supplementary materials on the dvd, cut for time in season 6 because they just couldn't figure out where to put it in that would flow with the story.

The numbers are the core numerical values of the Valenzetti Equation, an equation used to predict the date of human extinction. Each number represents one of the DHARMA Initiative fields of study, such as electromagnetism and psychology.Those numbers were made into a password and hatch number, and through the shenanigans of time travel, radio transmissions, pure coincidence, and bad luck, led to Hurley thinking they were cursed, but they had no such power. As well, the numbers corresponded to the chosen groups flight, seat numbers, and the dial in the lighthouse, at least some of which Jacob was privy to and influenced, and made into one of his lists. How much Jacob knew or understood about the equation is unclear, but he knew it could find the guy to replace him and help fix the cycle and save the world.
    I had no idea about the outrigger. So that's good to know. Actually my only real lingering question from the show.

The numbers bit was sort of a joke, but I do appreciate the thorough explanation.

I actually love the ending of Lost and feel the show did a great job of wrapping up the stories it set up. I just know a lot of people feel disappointed / had lists of 'unanswered' questions. I also know a lot of people still think they were all dead the whole time. Had to explain the show to a coworker last year who hated the ending for that very reason.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

The funny thing about Lost is MOST of its questions were actually answered by season 3... its just a lot of people weren't paying attention and its easy to lose track week to week, it flowed a lot better in marathon form.

The nuances and nitty gritty might be missed, especially when you get to the "yeah but what about this person's mother's third cousin? but basically anything it set up in the first season it fairly got to well before the end.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information