+ Reply to Thread
Page 303 of 304 FirstFirst ... 203 253 293 301 302 303 304 LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,060 of 6064

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

  1. #6041
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The King Engine

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Robin is of a few that can do what she does. Fill in some blanks for the crew at times due to being more well informed, plus reading the PGs. Just like Sanji is the only one that could've helped with the cake in the way he did. There's no problem in not being able to see why that is better than a 3 chapter fight for the bigger picture.

    I like this convo a lot and it reveals a lot about perspective. What did Pica vs Zoro do for the story as a whole that trumps Robin's PG findings?
    And forgetting about Robin, how about the great Brooke vs Big Mom sequence, and then the reveal that he got the poneglyph rubbing? We still haven't had Robin transcribe that, right?

  2. #6042

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    And forgetting about Robin, how about the great Brooke vs Big Mom sequence, and then the reveal that he got the poneglyph rubbing? We still haven't had Robin transcribe that, right?
    Yes and that is the point. He was the MVP of WCI arc, but it doesn't matter in the big picture unless Robin does what she's good at. Great moments from my guy

  3. #6043

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    I think having an actual story big moment be the equivalent of "meet you at the summit" translation wouldn't exactly be a thrill fest. Oda isn't Tolkien, that particular kind of nuance and mystery of language isn't quite his thing. He's more an obvious big joke pun guy.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  4. #6044
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Why does it have to be a big moment? It's the little things that matter just as much. Oda could have made the messages on PG a little more ambiguous, allowing Robin's intellect to shine there. I know it's extra work, but the amount of research the dude does is staggering as it is. And we know Oda can go into specific details when he wants. I guess it's a matter of priorities, and a side effect of having a huge cast and ever growing pool of important side characters.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Robin is of a few that can do what she does. Fill in some blanks for the crew at times due to being more well informed, plus reading the PGs. Just like Sanji is the only one that could've helped with the cake in the way he did. There's no problem in not being able to see why that is better than a 3 chapter fight for the bigger picture.

    I like this convo a lot and it reveals a lot about perspective. What did Pica vs Zoro do for the story as a whole that trumps Robin's PG findings?
    Well you picked one lousy dragged out fight as an example. Pica was so hilariously under matched, that Oda had him running and hiding for the most of the part. Any potential interesting parts of the fight, like the one where he suddenly had a sword, were reduced to couple of static panels. He turned out to be a one trick pony, but at least Zoro did show how far he had traveled on his road to becoming #1. So that's something at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  5. #6045

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    I wonder if Oda has seen ”The one armed swordsman” movies, I think he probably has, and if so, maybe Shanks fighting style will be similar to the one armed swordsman? Swordplay and martial arts? maybe more of a brawler in Shanks case, just seems more fitting.

    https://youtu.be/sRbbvFPpoMQ

  6. #6046

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Why does it have to be a big moment? It's the little things that matter just as much. Oda could have made the messages on PG a little more ambiguous, allowing Robin's intellect to shine there. I know it's extra work, but the amount of research the dude does is staggering as it is. And we know Oda can go into specific details when he wants. I guess it's a matter of priorities, and a side effect of having a huge cast and ever growing pool of important side characters.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---



    Well you picked one lousy dragged out fight as an example. Pica was so hilariously under matched, that Oda had him running and hiding for the most of the part. Any potential interesting parts of the fight, like the one where he suddenly had a sword, were reduced to couple of static panels. He turned out to be a one trick pony, but at least Zoro did show how far he had traveled on his road to becoming #1. So that's something at least.
    Further proving my point. See how easy it is to not care for a fight? They're cool, but only a few matter in advancing the bigger picture. While Robin's job to translate the history, Road PG and possibly weapon details has given us a feel for the end.

  7. #6047
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Further proving my point. See how easy it is to not care for a fight? They're cool, but only a few matter in advancing the bigger picture. While Robin's job to translate the history, Road PG and possibly weapon details has given us a feel for the end.
    Because the fight was bad and overextended? Nothing of note happened in it until Zoro sliced it up in the end. Pica, along with other executives, was grossly underutilized considering their skill set and abilities.

    I could easily say Robin's translation doesn't excite me much, considering that so far, the adventures leading up to PG translations have been a lot more interesting than translations themselves. Translations consist of couple of vague sentences, and if there's anything more, Robin has been keeping tight lips about it. She's like a huge source of various information that only discloses them when it suits the plot. It's kinda silly how we have almost no idea what she's been doing during time skip. But she knows a lot more than she has let us in on, and it's kinda annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  8. #6048

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Because the fight was bad and overextended? Nothing of note happened in it until Zoro sliced it up in the end. Pica, along with other executives, was grossly underutilized considering their skill set and abilities.

    I could easily say Robin's translation doesn't excite me much, considering that so far, the adventures leading up to PG translations have been a lot more interesting than translations themselves. Translations consist of couple of vague sentences, and if there's anything more, Robin has been keeping tight lips about it. She's like a huge source of various information that only discloses them when it suits the plot. It's kinda silly how we have almost no idea what she's been doing during time skip. But she knows a lot more than she has let us in on, and it's kinda annoying.
    "Nothing of note happened", yet you are bent on her possibly getting a fight that can turn out the same

  9. #6049
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    "Nothing of note happened", yet you are bent on her possibly getting a fight that can turn out the same
    Aren't you just assuming much? And why would a fight involving Robin be boring? It's not like Oda isn't capable of giving her more active role than babysitting a princess while a one legged fighter fights one of Dofla's executives.

    I don't even need Robin to have one or one. But a little more involvement, from her and other SH who still have a lot to show? Hell yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  10. #6050

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Aren't you just assuming much? And why would a fight involving Robin be boring? It's not like Oda isn't capable of giving her more active role than babysitting a princess while a one legged fighter fights one of Dofla's executives.

    I don't even need Robin to have one or one. But a little more involvement, from her and other SH who still have a lot to show? Hell yeah.
    A fight with Zoro was boring (your words), so there is a chance that a fight with Robin can be as well

  11. #6051
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    A fight with Zoro was boring (your words), so there is a chance that a fight with Robin can be as well
    "A" fight with Zoro was boring.

    Yeah, there's always a chance. Not sure what you're arguing for here. Oda shouldn't have Robin participate in action scenes more because it might be boring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  12. #6052

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Maybe fights and poneglyph readings may have not the same objective. The former allows the reader to have fun and excitation, increase the character building ; the latter reveals information on the adventure, increase the world building.
    For me, both aspects have the same importance in order to make me interested in reading One Piece

    I don't really understand why they should be compared as if their aims were the same.

  13. #6053

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Maybe fights and poneglyph readings may have not the same objective. The former allows the reader to have fun and excitation, increase the character building ; the latter reveals information on the adventure, increase the world building.
    For me, both aspects have the same importance in order to make me interested in reading One Piece

    I don't really understand why they should be compared as if their aims were the same.
    Agreed. I love the History and Ponegliph part of the story.
    But the discussion was not fight x worldbuilding. The discussion was about Robin having a smaller role in the story. When the strawhats found the red ponegliph Inuarashi did most of the talking and explaining. We were suggesting that Robin get more panel time and cool actions, and that could be done with Ponegliph reading instead of fights. But that almost never happens
    Last edited by Chams; December 4th, 2019 at 09:42 AM.

  14. #6054

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    "A" fight with Zoro was boring.

    Yeah, there's always a chance. Not sure what you're arguing for here. Oda shouldn't have Robin participate in action scenes more because it might be boring?
    I never said Robin doesn't need a fight. You said that Robin should get a fight and I responded by saying that would be cool, but she nor the other SH don't need one every arc due to Oda finding ways to make their roles shine. Zoro's role VC and through leadership, he can shine if Oda wanted to go that route at any moment. Same as Sanji baking a cake or Robin reading the Poneglyph.

    Also, to @Kdom and @Chams. Don't know if the @ works or not. Inu explained the use of the Road Poneglyphs and gave context. Not the actual content of the Poneglyh. Only person who can provide that was Robin at the moment. Maybe Momo, Luffy or Zunisha can do it in some capacity in the future, but for now all we know is that Robin can. So far they depend on Robin for that and even brought up how many would go after her for it. Fights bring satisfaction, but they are hit and miss as Razh proved with Zoro vs Pica. Robin's findings from the text push the story forward and that is above satisfactory because that is a bigger piece of the story.

    Not getting a 1 vs 1 fight in an arc has happened to many of the crew and that didn't slow the pace down of the story, but when the audience gets a Poneglyph's text reading from Robin, you feel closer to the truth.

  15. #6055

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post

    Also, to @Kdom and @Chams. Don't know if the @ works or not. Inu explained the use of the Road Poneglyphs and gave context. Not the actual content of the Poneglyh. Only person who can provide that was Robin at the moment. Maybe Momo, Luffy or Zunisha can do it in some capacity in the future, but for now all we know is that Robin can. So far they depend on Robin for that and even brought up how many would go after her for it. Fights bring satisfaction, but they are hit and miss as Razh proved with Zoro vs Pica. Robin's findings from the text push the story forward and that is above satisfactory because that is a bigger piece of the story.
    Not sure if it worked either but I got the message lol

    I was trying to point out that even if Robin's abilities are crucial to the story they are not as entertaining or eye-catching as other aspects of the narrative. Think of it like this: can you remember a cool thing Zoro and Brooke did post time skip? Some people will remember Zoro cutting Hody, Brooke challenging Mama, Zoro flying and cutting Pica etc. Now, can you remember any cool Robin scene? Her reading the ponegliph was not as entertaining or cool as the other scenes I mentioned. And they don't even have to be fight scenes. Sanji making the cake had got many panels and amazing performances of the character (he identified even secret ingredients using only smell?? Awesome).

    Robin had a cool poneglyph-reading scene in the past, in Alabasta's tomb. That was really nice. Her conversation with Cobra was also very cool, and memorable, without it needing to be a fight. I'm just saying she hasn't been given many cool scenes post timeskip. I can recall her catching Hakuba and... creating a clone between Luffy and Jinbei? All I'm saying comes from a huge love for Robin and wanting her to be more present, panel-time wise, in the future.

    Just as a contrast: Usopp didn't need to defeat Chew in Arlong Park. Chew would've been defeated by a punch from Zoro or Luffy if he returned to help the others. Still, it was one of the most memorable things in One Piece. I don't care if Robin's actions are necessary to the story if they are not memorable from a narrative point. Do you even remember her reading the Red Pg? Do you recall a cool scene of her surrounded by the misterious letters or something? Is there any cool visuals for this action? That's all I wanted to see in OP (again, because I love Robin and history)

  16. #6056

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Not sure if it worked either but I got the message lol

    I was trying to point out that even if Robin's abilities are crucial to the story they are not as entertaining or eye-catching as other aspects of the narrative. Think of it like this: can you remember a cool thing Zoro and Brooke did post time skip? Some people will remember Zoro cutting Hody, Brooke challenging Mama, Zoro flying and cutting Pica etc. Now, can you remember any cool Robin scene? Her reading the ponegliph was not as entertaining or cool as the other scenes I mentioned. And they don't even have to be fight scenes. Sanji making the cake had got many panels and amazing performances of the character (he identified even secret ingredients using only smell?? Awesome).

    Robin had a cool poneglyph-reading scene in the past, in Alabasta's tomb. That was really nice. Her conversation with Cobra was also very cool, and memorable, without it needing to be a fight. I'm just saying she hasn't been given many cool scenes post timeskip. I can recall her catching Hakuba and... creating a clone between Luffy and Jinbei? All I'm saying comes from a huge love for Robin and wanting her to be more present, panel-time wise, in the future.

    Just as a contrast: Usopp didn't need to defeat Chew in Arlong Park. Chew would've been defeated by a punch from Zoro or Luffy if he returned to help the others. Still, it was one of the most memorable things in One Piece. I don't care if Robin's actions are necessary to the story if they are not memorable from a narrative point. Do you even remember her reading the Red Pg? Do you recall a cool scene of her surrounded by the misterious letters or something? Is there any cool visuals for this action? That's all I wanted to see in OP (again, because I love Robin and history)
    You highlighted spectacles in art and action as a rebuttal to me saying that what Robin does and others SH's roles do for the bigger picture are more important than fights. Wasn't that the moral of Sanji and Judge's issue? You don't have to be cruel and/or the strongest warrior to make your dreams come true. BM ended up beating Judge at being cruel and was stronger than him. Sanji used his kind nature and cooking skills to help the crew escape. Even Luffy was confused that Judge was speaking of all the best parts of Sanji. Yet some of the audience miss this and whine and complain that there was no fight. Completely missing the point as usual. The largest disconnect in the series that continues to appear. The best moments in the series have nothing to do with a fight. Zoro taking on Luffy's pain and fatigue, Zoro and Luffy not fighting in Jaya, Jinbei and Luffy laying next to each other for blood and Luffy finally inviting him onto the ship, or Sanji thanking Zeff.

    You're saying the truth about the history, weapons and which islands are mentioned on PGs aren't as "cool" as fights that are hit or miss? When this story is done, will it be because Zoro easily defeated Pica or we learned the history piece by piece and the crew used this knowledge to accomplish what Rayleigh said even the Roger Pirates couldn't do? They actually became the Pirate King crew and with the knowledge and their strength, still came up short in some capacity.

    Post timeskip and memorable? Twice in the same arc. Joy Boy and Poseidon. Both of those being hints towards the larger truth is better than Robin fighting someone, so Luffy can go and fight the big boss.



    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:


    I'm glad we're talking about this. It shows that having a great looking panel or fight, isn't as great as getting further to knowing the truth about the history and waiting to see what Robin translates next. There's more conversations that question Road PGs, Ancient weapons and Joy Boy than there is about some of the fights in the story.

  17. #6057

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    I dont know if this question deserves her own thread or not,but as we're getting closer to the end of 2019,i'm seeing a lot of "best of the decade" rankings. So what do you think are the 10 best OP chapters of this decade? Or lets just say the 10 best moments of the decade
    Last edited by NamiRobinFrankyAce; December 5th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.

  18. #6058

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    What Robin needs is not a fight or to read a poneglyph, what she needs is to become a character once again. It's easy to forget, but Robin used to have personality and style, and she's got to participate in the story in more ways than just being a tool for some info dump and to translate the poneglyphs. It's not that her job is not important, because it is, but the author has the duty to highlight her conflicts and efforts along the way. And in a series like One Piece, where most arcs have the main characters helping other people in their islands, you want to see her befriending the locals, interacting with them and being cool when she's around.

    Fights are not essential, but they also help. We may think of fights as only punchs and powers, but in anime fights usually are a concentrated moment for the personality of the characters to bloom, to showcase who they are and what's special about them. The characters talk a lot, they clash their ideals against the antagonists, it's a full experience. It would do some good to Robin.

    Anyway, I'm not crazy about fights, and I don't think everyone should get a 1x1 every arc, but it's important that all the Strawhats get some fights once in a while. The fact that we're against Kaidou and Big Mom now and that a lot of Strawhats haven't gotten a proper fight since the time skip is astonishing. I don't think that was a wise management of fights by Oda.

  19. #6059

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    What Robin needs is not a fight or to read a poneglyph, what she needs is to become a character once again. It's easy to forget, but Robin used to have personality and style, and she's got to participate in the story in more ways than just being a tool for some info dump and to translate the poneglyphs. It's not that her job is not important, because it is, but the author has the duty to highlight her conflicts and efforts along the way. And in a series like One Piece, where most arcs have the main characters helping other people in their islands, you want to see her befriending the locals, interacting with them and being cool when she's around.

    Fights are not essential, but they also help. We may think of fights as only punchs and powers, but in anime fights usually are a concentrated moment for the personality of the characters to bloom, to showcase who they are and what's special about them. The characters talk a lot, they clash their ideals against the antagonists, it's a full experience. It would do some good to Robin.

    Anyway, I'm not crazy about fights, and I don't think everyone should get a 1x1 every arc, but it's important that all the Strawhats get some fights once in a while. The fact that we're against Kaidou and Big Mom now and that a lot of Strawhats haven't gotten a proper fight since the time skip is astonishing. I don't think that was a wise management of fights by Oda.
    About Robin personality,i agree with you this time,as i said a few posts ago.
    I like the fact that she is happy now,but i miss mysterious femme fatale Robin. I think Oda believes she completed her character development and thats why he doesnt let her do very much outside the translation parts

  20. #6060
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Oda should have just switched her with that cucumber Robin from Shabondy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts