+ Reply to Thread
Page 299 of 299 FirstFirst ... 199 249 289 297 298 299
Results 5,961 to 5,976 of 5976

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Lots of questions about live action. If I were analyzing it, I'd look at things like Witcher, Snowpiercer, and Cowboy Bebop and how they're being handled/portrayed. I'd like to offer more commentary but that's all that's currently publicly available to comment on. I can also confirm that the editors said Matt Owens' love/knowledge of the series is comparable to myself in a public event and... that is accurate in a number of ways.

Bet this "Matt" is gonna turn out to be just Greg in a wig.

-Oh this mans OP wang is quite comparable to my own

-Sly aside glance-

Greg how does Oda feel for losing the number 1 spot to Yaiba this year ? Will this lit a fire in him ? Or not ?
    Last edited by Joy Boy; November 6th, 2019 at 03:36 PM.

It was bound to happen. One Piece was holding this record for over 11 years consecutively. OP still sells the most per volume tho.

Whats been bugging me is the decline of per volume sales. Digital sales may be the cause of the decline or is the manga overall losing readers fast?. Looking at Stampede performance at the box office, it seems the franchise overall is doing very well, and it even surpassed Film gold numbers. Only the manga has been declining so far.

Greg can you please give us your insight on the state of OP in Japan, and the perception of the public toward it. Obviously its not as popular as it used to be back at its peak in 2009-2012.
    Last edited by MugiwaraPirate; November 6th, 2019 at 04:40 PM.

Bet this "Matt" is gonna turn out to be just Greg in a wig.

-Oh this mans OP wang is quite comparable to my own

-Sly aside glance-
    No comment.

Okay, so, what's Yaiba? Not being facetious or trying to belittle a series. It's a Jump series? Currently running? Wrapped? Did it sell more volumesfor the year?

So OP's audience is enormous *but* the series is struggling to get ***new*** fans. For the first 15 years it would pick up new fans every 5 years per Oda's plan but when you have 100 volumes of manga, it's a lot more difficult to access, even by voracious Japanese manga consumption standards. The simple actof completng the series *to this point* is otaku-level dedicationin terms of time and money. And...those aren't the fans Oda tries to reach. He wants casual readers but it's having difficulty picking up new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    No comment.

Okay, so, what's Yaiba? Not being facetious or trying to belittle a series. It's a Jump series? Currently running? Wrapped? Did it sell more volumesfor the year?

So OP's audience is enormous *but* the series is struggling to get ***new*** fans. For the first 15 years it would pick up new fans every 5 years per Oda's plan but when you have 100 volumes of manga, it's a lot more difficult to access, even by voracious Japanese manga consumption standards. The simple actof completng the series *to this point* is otaku-level dedicationin terms of time and money. And...those aren't the fans Oda tries to reach. He wants casual readers but it's having difficulty picking up new ones.
    Kimetsu no Yaiba the new jump series is now having huge boost of backlog sales because of the recent anime adaptation by ufotable. Its certain now after the boost that its going to beat One Piece this year. When it comes to per volume sales One Piece is still at the top.

I'm curious what will sheuisha, and Oda himself will do to bring new readers to the series. Its certainly a big challenge. I have some hope, because when you look at the resurgence of Conan, and that has over 1000 chapters.

Latin America is going to redub the anime so I hope it catches on the way the South Korea and France did when they redubbed it.

I will always find it weird when people brag about sales or even care for it, in regards to art. I see it among rap, manga, movies, etc communities. If I listen to an album and it's trash, what amount of units sold can make me like it all of a sudden? Or if a sports manga sells a lot, do I automatically want to try it out now? If I like a movie, can a reviewer or box office sale make me feel differently? It's all marketing that only people with low self esteem for what they like, fall for. "Look, this sells well, so it's good". "Oh really, I guess it is, since it sells well".

The barometer for quality, from the perspective of an individual that lacks confidence, will always come down to something that has nothing to do with art itself. Imagine disliking a manga, then changing your mind on it when a reviewer says it's good, sales go up or a committee gives it an award. It all goes back to low self esteem and not having your own taste. Maybe it's just me, but I find having your own opinion as 1 of the easiest things to have.

Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    I'm curious what will sheuisha, and Oda himself will do to bring new readers to the series. Its certainly a big challenge. I have some hope, because when you look at the resurgence of Conan, and that has over 1000 chapters.
    He's pushing Wano as the next big mega war event, so that may do some trick, but I think its pretty much gonna be what its goign to be. When it *actually* gets to its final arc in ~7 years and has a big 3 year+ finale (I can't believe Oda's 5 year estimate just based on track record) and its clear that's well and truly the end, it'll probably spike with hype again, but any long runner thats gone this long is going to be really hard pressed to get new readers willing to buy the whole thing from scratch at this point.

Heck, *I'm* a huge fan obviously, have a 300$ Jinbe statue and have supported the official release for decades, and even I haven't gotten around to picking up the most recent couple volumes yet. It's just naturally gonna happen/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Current Jump series Kimetsu no Yaiba. Just got an anime a few months ago so people are buying up the 17 volume backlog, similar to what happened with Attack on Titan a few years back. Individual volumes are about half of what OP sells. Which is still pretty good, obviously, half of OP is still a lot!
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I will always find it weird when people brag about sales or even care for it, in regards to art.
    I agree that it's no metric for success, and that there's no correlation between the merit of a work and its sales. For me, it's more about if I already like something, then it makes me happy seeing that thing get recognition from a large amount of other people. So I do take pride in OP's sales success; however if something ever beats it I would have a brief moment of "oh.. kind of a shame" and then quickly move on.

Just got an anime a few months ago so people are buying up the 17 volume backlog
    Oh. Okay. Yeah, that happens.

Remember when that happened to One Piece...when it was at 58 volumes...

Yeah...

Wait, is it actually guaranteed that Kimetsu's gonna be ahead? I thought that was a misconception that came from it taking a massive lead in just one specific month or just that it was outdoing volume 94 with its backlog sales or something along those lines. I'm googling now but having trouble finding reliable figures for both series' year to date sales.

Mangaspoiler Emigrant RigaCrypto's Avatar

My hopes is that they will remake the older arcs from the anime -Fishmen Island, Dressrossa,Zou and even Big Mom arc- to top standard animations like Wano. When I try to recommend the anime to friends I always have to specify that he should ignore if sometimes the animation sucks because the story is worth it.
    Luffy vs Katakuri compilation : https://www.docdroid.net/qrFOY9p/luffyxkata.pdf

Luffy vs Cracker compilation : https://www.docdroid.net/Pk06JZL/luffy-vs-cracker.pdf

Luffy vs Doflamingo compilation : https://www.docdroid.net/VDl3Ctf/luffyxdoffy.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Wait, is it actually guaranteed that Kimetsu's gonna be ahead? I thought that was a misconception that came from it taking a massive lead in just one specific month or just that it was outdoing volume 94 with its backlog sales or something along those lines. I'm googling now but having trouble finding reliable figures for both series' year to date sales.
    The numbers people use are just adding all the numbers for weekly sales that Oricon publishes. They're not complete since sometimes either series might not be in the top 10 in any given week, so the numbers aren't known. However, it still tells you the ceiling for that week, and some people make calculations about it. Three weeks ago it was 'Kimetsu might beat One Piece'. Two weeks ago it was 'Yeah Kimetsu is gonna beat One Piece'. And last week it's 'Kimetsu is gonna beat One Piece and by a long shot'. And all the backlog volumes are *still* selling like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    The numbers people use are just adding all the numbers for weekly sales that Oricon publishes. They're not complete since sometimes either series might not be in the top 10 in any given week, so the numbers aren't known. However, it still tells you the ceiling for that week, and some people make calculations about it. Three weeks ago it was 'Kimetsu might beat One Piece'. Two weeks ago it was 'Yeah Kimetsu is gonna beat One Piece'. And last week it's 'Kimetsu is gonna beat One Piece and by a long shot'. And all the backlog volumes are *still* selling like crazy.
    No wonder the numbers I saw varied so much haha. We'll see how accurate all that really ends up being when the final results drop. Anything winning "by a long shot" is not something I ever expected to see.

Well, good for Kimetsu either way. There's no saying the series hasn't earned its success.

I wonder when the three eyed tribe will come into play, he definitely set them up in Wano and I wonder when we'll see a pure breed

also I'm sure Oda probably has some homage to tien coming soon, since we know he loves Dragon Ball

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information