+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 531 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 522 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
    A question for Greg, regarding this panel here:

http://i.imgur.com/LA5z0jA.png

Here you pointed out that Kaido jumps with his arms crossed. In the anime however, he is grabbing his right arm:

http://i.imgur.com/IOB0VKI.gif

So which one is correct ? And has the grabbing any kind of meaning ?
    If you look closely at the manga page you could also argue that Kaido is grabbing his right arm in the manga as well:
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/ec9ac2510229020
    Anyways, anime and manga are very two different animals - the anime is just an adaptation. Therefore in the end I would always following the events in the manga. I don't even watch the One Piece anime since it is so awful

Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5 View Post
    Wasn't that addressed in one of the columns? Really not sure which one, but I'm sure I read something about Kaidou's way of jumping somewhere, and I could not think of any other place besides Greg's column.
    Yes, you missed that I linked the column
    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    In the manga shot with the shading it kinda looks like he might be holding his right forearm. But higher instead of lower than his bracelet. I doubt there's more meaning to it than animators adding couple of seconds to stretch things as light as they possibly can.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadyagent View Post
    If you look closely at the manga page you could also argue that Kaido is grabbing his right arm in the manga as well:
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/ec9ac2510229020
    Anyways, anime and manga are very two different animals - the anime is just an adaptation. Therefore in the end I would always following the events in the manga. I don't even watch the One Piece anime since it is so awful
    Yes, that's what I want to confirm. This is only about the manga.
    I only brought up the anime because until I watched that scene, I was sure that Kaido crossed his arms when he jumped off the sky island, since that is what Greg mentioned in his column and it made perfect sense (to show how badass Kaido really is).
    But because of that scene I looked again at the manga panel and realized that it does look more like he is grabbing his right arm instead of having his arms crossed.
    Basically I just want to know if we can say for sure which one is correct.
    Last edited by Tarek; October 17th, 2016 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    So Sanji being inspired by Mr. Pink from Resevoir Dogs only works if the rest of his crew also is?
    I don't have to post images of Straw Hats or the Baratie Chefs, do I?
    Well, Crocodile and Robin are from Pulp Fiction, so you can decisively point to Oda having an interest in Tarantino, it's something that's come up again and again.

Unless he mentions something in an interview, like Viki the Viking, or it's really blatant like a lot of the stuff with actors and musicians, you can't just go "random background character plus random anime from when Oda was 7 must go together!" It's *too* random, there's nothing to back it up.

That's the same nonsense that led to "Clearly Mysterious Cities of Gold inspired One Piece's entire plot because there were guys in a tavern!"

You might also point to Animal Treasure Island which Miyazaki worked on. Since that was full of animal pirates, and it was made in 1971, so it would have been rerunning on tv when Oda was young... or maybe Disney's version of Robin Hood! Or mahbe that movie where Mickey Mouse, Donald and Goofy were muskateers! it existed, maybe it was an inspiration! ...or maybe the original Treasure Island was an inspiration instead.

Compare it to the sentai stuff that comes up again and again in costumes and names and themes and giant robots... you can tell he was inspired there, obviously he liked sentai. Which specific series is a harder detail to pin down (though apparently Greg has.)
    And yes, that was the last time we saw Inuarashi. I'm sure he will never be relevant in the story again cause that's how this series works.
    C'mon Robby, you know better than that.
    He's one of *dozens* of Zou residents. Yes, he'll pop up again like everyone does, maybe even be in a fight later, but he's not been given a major role. He is one of many, he is not overly important, and is certainly less important than Wanda, or either of the island leaders, and those are all now a notch behind Carrot, Pedro and Pekoms... and even those guys are C listers in the new arc. He's of the same relevance of the members of the Franky Family that weren't the square sisters.

Yes, Oda is a man of many influences and inspirations. I mean, we know as fact that Oda got hooked on Game of Thrones, and some bits of that have popped up, but they weren't anything obvious or blatant and unless you were specifically looking for it you'd have no idea at all. And absolutely, the dog musketeer could have been inspired by this thing and this is his extreeeeemely subtle nod to it... but there's just no connection there beyond you making a completely wild theory based on literally nothing except for "this thing I discovered existed". If even one of the three musketeers there was a dog, or matched the species shown, I'd say you were onto something. But none of them do, they're just musketeers.
    Last edited by Robby; October 17th, 2016 at 04:11 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    He is one of many, he is not overly important, and is certainly less important than Wanda, or either of the island leaders, and those are all now a notch behind Carrot, Pedro and Pekoms... and even those guys are C listers in the new arc.
    Isn't Inuarashi one of the leaders on Zou?

Come on Robby Inuarashi is one of the leaders

He was talking about musketeers this entire time, so I assumed he was referring to Sicilian and the two that haven't even been named. You know, one of the the three musketeer characters identified as an actual musketeer.

I had assumed he was going on a typo, or that I was mixed up. I thought Inuarashi was the leader, but he kept insisting he was a musketeer, so I thought I was mistaken.

But if he actually meant DUKE Inuarashi, the leader of the island, rather than his actual musketeer squad, then random theory is even more random.

I'm not saying its out of the realm of possibility. Sure, it could be a super subtle small nod. But I'd think Oda would have made him the same species or same markings or name or something. Without any of those things, at that point you're getting so subtle that there's literally nothing to actually connect them. If you happened to be right it would be completely random luck, rather than actually being based on anything, akin to guessing that Garp was Luffy's grandfather when we saw him in Coby's coverstory. Sure, you were eventually right, but based on random mass guessing more than anything else.
    Last edited by Robby; October 17th, 2016 at 04:56 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Pedro stated just this past episode that "the world is waiting" for Inuarashi and Nekomamushi, plus the two of them are leaders in the mega-alliance against Kaido. They clearly are going to be important.

I do agree that there's nothing connecting the Musketeers to whatever that cartoon is, though.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Pedro stated just this past episode that "the world is waiting" for Inuarashi and Nekomamushi, plus the two of them are leaders in the mega-alliance against Kaido. They clearly are going to be important.
    They're going be just as important as Paulie and Brownbeard and Kyros. Allies that will kick some butt, maybe even get their own fights like Bart... but they're not carrying major plots on their own and they're going to be with dozens of other characters at any given time. They're part of the army, and probably important for the conclusion of Wano.

There are levels of importance in the overall story, and of the Zou residents, they'll probably be in the top 8 for importance and get decent screentime later.

The musketeers won't be.

He was talking about musketeers this entire time, so I assumed he was referring to Sicilian and the two that haven't even been named. You know, one of the the three musketeer characters identified as an actual musketeer.

I had assumed he was going on a typo, or that I was mixed up. I thought Inuarashi was the leader, but he kept insisting he was a musketeer, so I thought I was mistaken.

But if he actually meant DUKE Inuarashi, the leader of the island, rather than his actual musketeer squad, then random theory is even more random.

I'm not saying its out of the realm of possibility. Sure, it could be a super subtle small nod. But I'd think Oda would have made him the same species or same markings or name or something. Without any of those things, at that point you're getting so subtle that there's literally nothing to actually connect them. If you happened to be right it would be completely random luck, rather than actually being based on anything, akin to guessing that Garp was Luffy's grandfather when we saw him in Coby's coverstory. Sure, you were eventually right, but based on random mass guessing more than anything else.
    Since Inuarashi created the Mink Musketeers I pegged as a musketeer too. He wears a cape, has a plume on his hat and a rapier sword, fits the style

And you really thought I was talking about a nameless mink but was just dumb to keep using the anme Inuarashi and you didn't even point it out before?
    That's dismissive and offensive, dude.

And yes, it would be simply a small nod. Oda conecting Dog Warrior with Musketeers.
    Maybe he choose musketeers because it was the day army and musketeers tend to be this flamboyant fighters better suited for that type of image, like the guardians look better suited to the night.
    Even when I presented the idea/reference to the Oda's inspiration I said "Hey guys, look at this it could just be a coincidence but maybe it's a small nod since Cartoon Shows he saw as a kid are one of Oda's typical references"

Hence why I asked in this thread "Hey Greg, would it be too much trouble to check if the association betwen Dog Warrior and Musketeers actually is a small nod or just pure chance?"

I don't know what words from my post that you guys skipped or if asking a question here rubbed you off the wrong way.
    I just asked "could this be one of Oda's many references and nods" I didn't came here gun's ablazing saying Oda is remaking the lost cities of gold, that was all you buddy.

Btw, I saw now that there is indeed a trio of mink musketeers as a more clear nod to the famous novel, I totally forgot about them. I said previously that the only refrence so far was Sanji's iron mask and was wrong.
    And I didn't find out about the show randomly. It aired in my country when I was a kid and it made the association betwen dogs and musketeers so obvious (it's the name puns I guess) that I didn't even thought about mention it until a friend of mine, anime-watcher-only, pointed that out recently. I didn't explain the whole story here because I had already done it in the Oda's Inspiration trhread, which I mentioned, and assumed anyone wanting to pick up the conversation would check it. That way I wouldn't clutter this thread with unnecessary posts. That plan failed hard, didn't it?

And you really thought I was talking about a nameless mink but was just dumb to keep using the anme Inuarashi and you didn't even point it out before?
    That's dismissive and offensive, dude
    Btw, I saw now that there is indeed a trio of mink musketeers as a more clear nod to the famous novel, I totally forgot about them.
    No, I thought you were talking about the characters you completely forgot about that actually were very obviously from the literary source, and who are the characters everyone else was talking about.

I assumed *I* was getting the name mixed up.
    I gave *you* the benefit of the doubt, and assumed the mistake was on my end.

Do you perhaps see where the confusion everyone else was having lay?

I didn't came here gun's abalzing saying Oda is remaking the lost cities of gold, that was all you buddy.
    You did *exactly* what this person did. It's the exact same jump in logic, just on a smaller scale. Check some of the replies in there and you might see why it strikes a nerve.

http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=43671

And I didn't find out about the show randomly. It aired in my country when I was a kid and it made the association betwen dogs and musketeers so obvious (it's the name puns I guess) that I didn't even thought about mention it until a friend of mine, anime-watcher-only, pointed that out recently. I didn't explain the whole story here because I had already done it in the Oda's Inspiration trhread, which I mentioned, and assumed anyone wanting to pick up the conversation would check it. That way I wouldn't clutter this thread with unnecessary posts. That plan failed hard, didn't it?
    Like I said, sure, there could be a connection. But the fact that *you* have a personal connection doesn't make it any less a random connection to assume about *Oda*. I watched Maya the Bee and David the Gnome and those were popular in Japan, but I don't assume that the Tontottas come from there. There's not really much to go on compared to a great number of the much more obvious homages and references Oda has made over the years.

Don't stop looking for such things though, it is cool when people discover something and it fits. This just doesn't so much.
    Last edited by Robby; October 17th, 2016 at 05:50 PM.

Robby, let MCoG go. Stop bringing up that show. It seems the topic strikes your nerves the most for some reason.

Okay, I'll let it go.

Hmm, I now have that Frozen song in my head now.

I really love Greg's stuff online, too bad it's blocked at work :(

Queen's got the Funk Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

A question for Greg, regarding this panel here:
    Hidden:

Here you pointed out that Kaido jumps with his arms crossed. In the anime however, he is grabbing his right arm:

So which one is correct ? And has the grabbing any kind of meaning ?
    I wouldn't interprete too much in Kaidou's pose b4 he jumped. Either way Kaidou showed us, that he doesn't use his Hands to absorb the fall-damage. He jumped head-on 10.000metres from the sky and he only has a Little headache from the crash. This just Shows he is beast. But anyone can see that for himself a few Panels later when we see Kaidou's ridiculously ripped Body...

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

And Inu as well as Neko will get their own flashback once we have reached Wano. We'll also learn more about Momo's dad and Roger. Cat and Dog WILL have a pretty important role in the future arcs of the Story. Hell, they watched over a road poneglyph. A Stone whose whereabouts are either unknown or in a yonkou's Hands, a Stone that guides the way to Raftel. They'll be at least as important as Icebarg or Crocus (leader of an Island AND have been sailing with Roger).
    There are a lot of different opinions and views in this forum when it comes to One Piece.
    But can we all agree that Roger's ship, the Oro Jackson, had the best figurehead in the story so far?

No, I thought you were talking about the characters you completely forgot about that actually were very obviously from the literary source, and who are the characters everyone else was talking about.

I assumed *I* was getting the name mixed up.
    I gave *you* the benefit of the doubt, and assumed the mistake was on my end.

Do you perhaps see where the confusion everyone else was having lay?
    Then it was simply counter-productive.
    When you're discussing something, if you think you or the other partie is mixing something up, you should ask to make sure everyone is on the same page.
    Otherwise you're just trowing words around and no one will get anywhere.

You did *exactly* what this person did. It's the exact same jump in logic, just on a smaller scale. Check some of the replies in there and you might see why it strikes a nerve.

http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=43671
    You have a guy who anallyzed a different series entirely, trying to connect all this dots about how OP is remaking or retelling the same story and claims it as a fact.
    You have me (hi) coming to a thread about little things, jokes, references, nods OP does to other series and asking "Hey, look at this, happy coincidence or a small nod?"

You think these are the same situations on different scales? You put way to many words on my mouth/fingertips.
    This is the closest we have, well I have, to asking something in a SBS or something of the sorts. If you know a better place to ask please do tell, I'm not trying to bother the people around here.

Like I said, sure, there could be a connection. But the fact that *you* have a personal connection doesn't make it any less a random connection to assume about *Oda*. I watched Maya the Bee and David the Gnome and those were popular in Japan, but I don't assume that the Tontottas come from there. There's not really much to go on compared to a great number of the much more obvious homages and references Oda has made over the years.

Don't stop looking for such things though, it is cool when people discover something and it fits. This just doesn't so much.
    I never got the Maya or Gnome vibe from the Tontattas. They look like assorted fairies to me.
    Maybe if one of them had the bee bee fruit. Or if they didn't fly and lived quieter lives.
    And since were going on those references, I'll adress the ones you priviously made.
    Myazaki's Animal Treasure Island would be an inspiration for why there is a race of animal people, same with Disney's Robin Wood, not why Oda associated them with musketeers which are not present in those films.
    The film with Mickey, Donald and Goofy was made 10 years ago. I went and checked when that retelling of the 3 Musketeers with dogs aired, if it hadn't aired around the time Oda was a kid I would have not bother asking.

Taking the guns metaphor again, I know it's a bit of a shot in the dark and never claimed otherwise.
    But I'm not walking into that dark room with two fully loaded revolvers and spinning around hoping to hit anything.
    I'm walking into that dark room with one bullet in the chamber, walking two paces forward, one to the left, turn 84 degrees to the side and wait to hear if my bullet hit the target.

Edit: Btw, Crocodile was inspired by Tarantino?
    I get the Nico Robin. It's the resemblance to Mia, right?
    But I'm drawing a blank on what could have been used for Crocodile.
    Last edited by FolhaS; October 18th, 2016 at 10:28 AM.

Edit: Btw, Crocodile was inspired by Tarantino?
    I get the Nico Robin. It's the resemblance to Mia, right?
    But I'm drawing a blank on what could have been used for Crocodile.

Even has the earring.

Now I see it.

Crocodile seems to have more of a wet-hair, with less volume, I guess that's what was throwing me off.

Talking Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Hey that even ties into an infamous fan theory if the Crocodile-Travolta thing holds up

Spoiler:

Crocomom Confirmed?

On a sidenote I've heard the Uma thurman thing a lot but never considered the travolta appearance. So thank's for bringing that up.

Let's hope oda doesnt give crocodile a shaved head and a goatee next hahaha
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Hey that even ties into an infamous fan theory if the Crocodile-Travolta thing holds up

Crocomom... Croco... mom... Mom... Big Mom

What if...?

Like, she was supposed to get married... And then escaped...

Turned into a man...

Changed identity...
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

So Sanji being inspired by Mr. Pink from Resevoir Dogs only works if the rest of his crew also is?
    This is a longshot, and how would he phrase it in the sbs?

R:"Dear odachii this cartoon of three dog musketeers was the inspiration of the 3 musketeers"
    O:"lol what"
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information