+ Reply to Thread
Page 215 of 215 FirstFirst ... 115 165 205 213 214 215
Results 4,281 to 4,292 of 4292

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Hey, Greg. Has Oda recently shifted completely to drawing digitally now?
    I ask because of this Twitter video of the cover process for Vol. 91. You've might have already seen it.
    https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/s...20128943972352
    Oda's art still has varying line widths and little ink dab pools at the end of lines that you only get from physical inking. It's lacking a lot of the telltale signs of digital inking like super consistent line widths and a built in whispy quality to the line. However much he's doing digitially, it's not 100%.

At a guess, I'd say he's probably switched to digital for doing layouts, especially for complicated group cover shots like that, because it's way easier to resize and adjust things... but he then probably prints that layout and then inks over it traditionally. Hence the reason that video stopped at the layout stage instead of going on to show more refined line art.

And his coloring is definitely still traditional, you can't get that particular quality in photoshop without crazy amounts of extra work ad texture drops.
    Last edited by Robby; December 4th, 2018 at 02:17 AM.

That makes sense, Robby. I know he's done digital drawings occasionally for the Eiichiro Staff twitter and the official site. I've always assumed Oda was pretty old school and I don't think he'll ever go 100% digital in the future.

Live Fast Grow Fat Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    Greg, prediction on how Luffy and Kid will break out?
    Well, you gotta wonder: that Hippo guy was the deputy warden. If Shonen-rules aren't broken here, the actual warden has to be stronger than him. Like the difference between Hannyabal and Magellan (or even greater difference if Queen is the warden). But like Greg has put it: If Luffy and Kidd inspired other prisoners, they might cause a huge ruckus in that prison mine and the break-out will be a team-effort.
    I am really curious about the fishbone-guy. the 2 Samurais next to ashura douji might have been brought up at the beginning of ch. 926 (the manslayer and that robinhood-esque Boy).

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    That makes sense, Robby. I know he's done digital drawings occasionally for the Eiichiro Staff twitter and the official site. I've always assumed Oda was pretty old school and I don't think he'll ever go 100% digital in the future.
    Iwonder how many assistants Oda has. That one Panel with the People in line t buy Sanji's Food, it doesn't look like much in thefirst place, but all those houses are really accurate and detailled. That one Panel alone would take me a week (I only draw in free-time, though).
    My imagination of Moria's ol' crew: https://ibb.co/hEDSv8

Talking Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

A sizeable team works on the series.

As for Oda going digital, you'll note that he does a lot of that kind of work for side projects.

Messages to other authors, online promotional material, and the like. He likes the convenience of digital artwork, but I don't think it's changed his mind regarding how to 'best enjoy' comics.

Live Fast Grow Fat Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

As for Oda going digital, you'll note that he does a lot of that kind of work for side projects.

Messages to other authors, online promotional material, and the like. He likes the convenience of digital artwork, but I don't think it's changed his mind regarding how to 'best enjoy' comics.
    I heard he had to get used to the drawing tablet. I'm glad now that I had the same issues with my first drawing tablet: the pen's thicker, the drawing's surface' texture feels different. I can understand him doing the main work "traditionally", although digital supplies a lot of possibilities.
    My imagination of Moria's ol' crew: https://ibb.co/hEDSv8

Quote Originally Posted by flandrian15 View Post
    So Sabo was very close to Enel than I guess going by that logic?
    He's close to Dragon, though, whose storm fruit might be able to impart it, were this conjecture to be true.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

It seems like a simple task but believe me, keeping track of a series in two languages at once is a job in and of itself (^o^)
    Were it to be made a job, you would be a shoe-in.

Hi Greg

Do you think Zoro fans will be happy this arc? I mean ever since time skip started Zoro has kinda been on the backburner....just getting his solo fight and then disappearing from the plot.

Now of course I'm not expecting his own arc like Sanji just had considering how many WG members and other major players are on the island...but do you think he will at least participate in the plot this time?

Seems like we barely saw him for a chapter or two and he once again went MIA... really hope Oda delivers since Zoro feels way underused post skip

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    At a guess, I'd say he's probably switched to digital for doing layouts, especially for complicated group cover shots like that, because it's way easier to resize and adjust things... but he then probably prints that layout and then inks over it traditionally. Hence the reason that video stopped at the layout stage instead of going on to show more refined line art.

And his coloring is definitely still traditional, you can't get that particular quality in photoshop without crazy amounts of extra work ad texture drops.
    I have absolutely no idea how Oda does things naturally, but Photoshop is really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to digitally emulating traditional inks and paints. Software has been making leaps and bounds, so if a talented artist such as him wants to go digital through and through while keeping a traditional touch, the tools are definitely out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how Oda does things naturally, but Photoshop is really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to digitally emulating traditional inks and paints. Software has been making leaps and bounds, so if a talented artist such as him wants to go digital through and through while keeping a traditional touch, the tools are definitely out there.
    Yes, there's other programs out there. Painter, illustrator, clip, gimp, artweaver, krita, and a dozen others, not to mention 3D programs for making backgrounds and objects, and they all do different things. For lineart specifically he'd probably use Illustrator.

"Photoshop" is just shorthand to encompass all digital art programs since its the universal one that does almost everything you need.

And again, his art has all the telltale signs of still being inked traditionally. Line waverings and little ink blobs and the consistent blacks you just don't get out of digitial. Like Greg noted, you look at some of his outside project work, that stuff is often digital, but the main series in still done by hand.

You can tell when its done digitally. You go look at Berserk and you can tell when he shifted to digital art, and Ken Akamatsu has been doing digital for a while, and you compare it to his earlier work and it shows.
    Last edited by Robby; December 6th, 2018 at 03:50 PM.

Discovered Stowaway Big Black Hole's Avatar

I mean Jinbe's obvious, but Vivi?

Carrot's still never gonna join the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Black Hole View Post

I mean Jinbe's obvious, but Vivi?
    She kept appearing in the "playing with animals" cover shorts for years and years along with the other strawhats. Oda definitely kept her in mind and separate as an unnofficial/official member of the crew we should keep remembering (and then later he started expanding Carue as well.)

Right around the time skip he just started making the covers completely random any character per fan request, so that means nothing now, but for about a 10 year stretch he went out of his way to showcase Vivi about once a year.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information