+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Castlevania Mini-Series

Default Re: Castlevania Mini-Series

I honestly believe Grant will join this story. They can't NOT include him.

Admittedly, he's hard as he is not important to the plot of the series like Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard. But now that Hector is here, I have to imagine that it's coming. I'm just curious if we're going to do Castlevania III "Hey, I'm a regular pirate! Let's go on an adventure now that you saved me from turning into a monster!" or Castlevania Judgment "Dracula has turned me into a monster, but I want to stop him and possibly revert my form."

I'd be down for the second, as long as they give him a better design than what Judgment had for him.

Judgment designs were.. not good. Grant was discount Reim.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

After finishing the first "season", I can say I highly enjoyed it. Looking forward to October, where we'll get a nice 8 episodes instead of a measly 4. I'd prefer ten.

And I really have to say the animation was gorgeous. Not Ghibli-level or anything, but for the studio that made the freaking Fairly Oddparents and Adventure Time, this is fabulous. Not that I'm calling their Nick or CN work ugly, but this is a whole different ballpark.

New episodes came out today.

Spoiler:

It definetely started strong, but things went weak at the middle and started to get a little more of steam at the end of it, but it wasn't strong enough, I'm afraid.

As the only vampire general who actually got some spotlight, Goldberg(?) was pretty much the best new character. And honestly I got really upset when Isaac easily killed him so early on.

And speaking of which, I guess the writers read Stone Ocean, because you can't tell me Dracula and Isaac didn't gave a impression of Dio and Pucci.

I didn't liked very much having Trevor and friends spending half of the season inside Belmont's undergroud library, but it paid of seeing Trevor and Alucard insult one and the other while we get the remaining time seeing what is happening on Dracula's side since there was a lack of him last year.

Also the fight sequence was pretty on point. Seeing Alucard, Trevor and Sypha fighting off was pretty great and so was the fight with Dracula, but I reallu wished that Trevor was the one to finish him off. Well, he technically did it, but it was most Alucard.

And of course....No Grant.

Spoiler:

Short review: Skip everything except episode 7. It has the castlevania music.

Godbrand was an anoying piece of shit who ate the little time that Grant should have gotten.

The vampire generals while did their work on chapter 7, were just furniture the rest of the series. Why won't they talk? I guess they didn't want to pull an Apu so they keept the vampires from all over the world mute, and didn't manage to make any casting decision.

And Carmilla, good god woman, be grateful that you keept getting placed with the manchildren, any more obvious betrayal and you'd be the first on the taning room of the castle. I liked her backstory, and her motivation, but then went on it Cersei-like, and remember Cersei is only there because she is the WORST posible person for the job, just as the people who let her get there intended. The holy river plan was clever (if her army wasn't also unholy) and drastic, but how exactly did she expect to get Dracula into the water? All she did was to kill some mooks, maybe killed One general, and set up a deadly weapon upon her own army.

Hector kind of works. Isaac mostly works, except that he is not Death. And speaking of D-people, Dracula. When did he become disgusted by vampires as well?

The vampire politics subplot was hard to follow, like did Hector first meet Dracula at his zombie cotage or before like Isaac? Did only Godbrand the town idiot realize that Dracula was planing to end vampires? The fact that he was right is just sad.

I enjoyed the time in the Belmont-cave, but maybe it went for a little too long without much progress. The NOT QUARTET was good all around.

So:
    No Grant or Death is a sin, but there has to be a resurrection of dracula for him to go full vampire, so there is a chance for both of them to appear, finally.
    You can't make your vampire game of thrones characters by puting a Cersei, a the Hound, young Shou Tucker and Pucci bouncing of eachother while keeping the rest of the cast mute.
    All in all, I enjoyed the time on the belmont cave and episode 7. The rest? not so much.

SW-4128-8032-0729

My punishment will be to watch it AGAIN as I made plans to see it with some friends, and I betrayed them.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I really liked this season.

Spoiler:
    I love that the dialog still feels like a D&D campaign barely holding it together sometimes with all the banter ending with "Fuck you." Lol. Also "what the fuck just happened?" When the castle was bamfing around.

Issac was probably my favorite of the new characters. Hopefully someone will be smart enough to leave him alone when he wants to be lol. And yeah I definitely thought Dio and Pucci with his and Dracula's interactions.

Damn I nearly cried when Dracula came out of the blood list realizing he was in his son's old bedroom. And the Alucard just breaking down at the end of the season. So depressing.

Camilla kinda annoyed the shit out of me. I do kinda wish Dracula had at least said something to one of his more devoted on why he didn't turn Lisa. I assume it's cause he liked her as she was and it wasn't what she wanted either.

I felt bad for Hector. He was pretty innocent...As far as one can be for setting his family on fire? Maybe naive is the better word.

Fights were pretty good especially the battle in the castle. I hope we get more seasons.

Hidden:
    Carmilla having a character personality beyond "succubus who disguises herself as the main character's girlfriend' was fine with me. Sure, she was a bitch, but it was entertaining.

I did feel a bit of a blow from this season killing Dracula so quickly, but if this series continues, this won't be the end of Dracula. I think it's pretty fair to say that Issac will bring him back. The continuation will probably be a combination of Castlevania III and Curse of Darkness, where Hector will join in. I wouldn't be shocked if THAT is where they decided to include Grant. Cause if nothing else, Dracula will probably come back bigger and badder than ever, and no amount of love for his son will stop him.

That said, Dracula mourning that he was about to kill his son broke me. God, the relationship between Dracula and Alucard always got to me, and just seeing the season end with Alucard weeping alone made me wish that we could get to his adventures with Maria. And maybe his years as a tutor/master/father to Eric. That way, he isn't alone.

Spoiler:

Oh yeah, there is no Death in this. Like...Wow. Even Leon Belmont is part of the lore and they didn't even bothered with Death. I feel bad for forgetting about it because outside of Grant, I was reaaally loojing foward if there was Death.

Speaking of which, if Grant appears, it will most likely be one of Isaac's unfortunate experiments.

So. I know nothing of the Castlevania games. Is there a easy to follow info site? You guys keep mentioning characters I haven't heard of so I'm getting intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    So. I know nothing of the Castlevania games. Is there a easy to follow info site? You guys keep mentioning characters I haven't heard of so I'm getting intrigued.
    I'll try to be as brief as possible.
    Spoiler:

It all started with Castlevania for the NES that latter got a sequel to the Game Boy called Castlevania: Simon Quest. All of them stars Simon who just got announced for Smash Bros. An remake of the first game called Super Castlevania was released on the SNES.

Then there is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse that what is the show is based on and it was a prequel to the first game. It stared Trevor as the first Belmont to take down Dracula. It featured three other playable characters that were Sypha, Alucard and Grant, a knife-wielding pirate that had the ability to climb walls who is not featured in the show.

Alucard had his own game called Symphony of the Night which is the holy grail of Castlevania fans. It takes place centuries after the classic games. The last game before it was Rondo of Blood which starred Richter.

Hector is a the main character from Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, a PS2 game that takes place after Dracula's Curse. Isaac is also from that game and the setting is all about he kidnapping Hector's wife.

Leon is the protagonist of Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, a PS2 game that was released before Curse of Darkness and he was the progenitor of the Belmont Clan. His game explained how Dracula was born, basically. There is nothing much to talk about him outside of him being a former baron and crusader.

There were two games to the N64, but no one talks about it. It was embarassing. Also, several games to portable Nintendo consoles that are more like side-stories.

Anyway, Death is a recurring villain. He is basically Dracula's second hand-man. Carmilla appeared in some of those games as a flying skull that drops bloody tears and there was no Godbrand or anything.
    Last edited by KageKageKing; October 27th, 2018 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I'll try to be as brief as possible.
    Spoiler:

It all started with Castlevania for the NES that latter got a sequel to the Game Boy called Castlevania: Simon Quest. All of them stars Simon who just got announced for Smash Bros. An remake of the first game called Super Castlevania was released on the SNES.

Then there is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse that what is the show is based on and it was a prequel to the first game. It stared Trevor as the first Belmont to take down Dracula. It featured three other playable characters that were Sypha, Alucard and Grant, a knife-wielding pirate that had the ability to climb walls who is not featured in the show.

Alucard had his own game called Symphony of the Night which is the holy grail of Castlevania fans. It takes place centuries after the classic games. The last game before it was Rondo of Blood which starred Richter.

Hector is a the main character from Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, a PS2 game that takes place after Dracula's Curse. Isaac is also from that game and the setting is all about he kidnapping Hector's wife.

Leon is the protagonist of Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, a PS2 game that was released before Curse of Darkness and he was the progenitor of the Belmont Clan. His game explained how Dracula was born, basically. There is nothing much to talk about him outside of him being a former baron and crusader.

There were two games to the N64, but no one talks about it. It was embarassing. Also, several games to portable Nintendo consoles that are more like side-stories.

Anyway, Death is a recurring villain. He is basically Dracula's second hand-man. Carmilla appeared in some of those games as a flying skull that drops bloody tears and there was no Godbrand or anything.
    Oh well that certainly helps. Lol. I also didn't realize there were so many games.

I hadn't paid any attention to reviews for this show so I don't even know how fans of the games feel about it. Or rather I haven't read any in depth reviews.

Maybe it's also because I don't play the castlevania games, but this show is fucking phenomenal to me. Great writing, great characters, and the animation is top-notch.

Like, as someone into video games I know it's easy to want their adaptation to other media to cover exactly everything I like, but I hope that the seriously good writing in this show doesn't get brought down by fans being disappointed that [wanted game character] wasn't in it.

I only played one little Castlevania game on the GBA and I sucked at it. But I got enough to get the feel for the series.

I'm almost done watching it, then I can read everyone else's comments. What I do know so far is that the animation and the voice acting is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Maybe it's also because I don't play the castlevania games, but this show is fucking phenomenal to me. Great writing, great characters, and the animation is top-notch.

Like, as someone into video games I know it's easy to want their adaptation to other media to cover exactly everything I like, but I hope that the seriously good writing in this show doesn't get brought down by fans being disappointed that [wanted game character] wasn't in it.
    I agree but:

Spoiler:

The politics sublot is still a mess with half of the war council being fancy mutes, with the big plottwist that Dracula wants to kill everybody being too obvious to be true, into being true, and Carmilla being overly forceful with her plan and going into exposition mode whenever someone asked.

But the action, the good guys, Dracula himself, and the forgemasters stand on their own. Carmilla also somehow works, I love how she just bounced back in the last episode, but a lot more subtlety from chapter 3 to 6, keeping her plan closer to her chest, and someone else to bounce off than an imbecile Viking and Hector would have been an improvement.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The series using "magician" consistently to speak about mages or witches irked me, like she is casting fireballs, not pulling rabbits out of her poofy sleves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    tldr; Dracula shows up every 100 years (and many other times in the spinoffs) with his fancy castle to make everyone's lives very unhappy. The Belmonts, his son, the non evil church, some evil churchs, some mages, and a pirate team up to stop him.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post

It's kind of hard, because it's like watching the March on Arlong Park scene from One Piece, but for some reason, Usopp isn't included with Luffy, Zoro or Sanji. Granted, is Usopp the strongest and most important of those four? Heavens no. Quite the contrary in that case. But he's supposed to be there.

And Death is legit supposed to be Dracula's right hand man.

However...
    Hidden:
    Considering the possibility that this series continues, I wouldn't be shocked if:
    a) Grant joins to help against the revival of Dracula.
    b) The cause of Dracula's revival is Issac.

Plus, I have a crazy theory that Death will join the series BECAUSE of Issac. Or better yet, he becomes Death itself, which explains why Death would be so inservice to Dracula beyond the dumb plot reason in the game (Dracula has a crimson stone, and Death is like, "Anyone who has that crimson stone, I will serve them forever.". And then the stone is never mentioned again.)

I completely agree with your predictions. The first one is a "eh" but the second one makes a ton of sense in hindsight.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'd be down with that happening. I want more of him anyways.

Isaac and episode 7 were great. Solely the budget for Dracula’s cape must’ve been impressive.
    I did dislike Carmilla’s coup attempt and Hector is an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information