Closed Thread
Page 628 of 667 FirstFirst ... 128 528 578 618 626 627 628 629 630 638 ... LastLast
Results 12,541 to 12,560 of 13330

Thread: Indecision 2016 - In Soviet Russia, we elect american president!

  1. #12541

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    What about prescription medicine? I mean if lack of ID is a major problem in the US.

    Would be quite a good racket if you can just claim to be the recipient
    In between jobs once I skipped buying meds because they went from 12.00 dollars to being almost 150.00.

  2. #12542

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Again.

    There are almost no documented cases of individual voter fraud. Meanwhile, voter ID laws affect millions and keep them from voting.

    They're against the voter ID laws because, as it currently stands, it suppresses millions of voters to stop something that almost never actually happens on an individual basis.

    And again. Even without IDs places can still check and ask who you are. A piece of mail or a phone number or a social security number or the ability to rattle off your address without any hesitation will suffice. It doesn't need to be an ID.
    Those are temporary solutions though, your societies functional standard shouldn't be dragging a piece of mail with you to the voting booth. The problem is simply that in the US it is apparently a struggle to gain an ID, when it should be a barebones requirement to function in modern society. It's fucked up that it's being abused to manipulate votes, but end game the solution has to be to get proper identification for all social classes.

    You usually need the prescription on hand, signed by a doctor, to get medication. That's its own self-checking process.

    That aside, what makes you think people can afford prescription medication? In the US we go on being sick because we can't afford to be healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    In between jobs once I skipped buying meds because they went from 12.00 dollars to being almost 150.00.
    Man must these things always take a turn to the sad and depressing

  3. #12543

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Those are temporary solutions though, your societies functional standard shouldn't be dragging a piece of mail with you to the voting booth. The problem is simply that in the US it is apparently a struggle to gain an ID, when it should be a barebones requirement to function in modern society. It's fucked up that it's being abused to manipulate votes, but end game the solution has to be to get proper identification for all social classes.
    Absolutely. And once that's in place, sure, require IDs to vote.
    But in the meantime, the world we live in is the one the laws should be built around.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  4. #12544
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Blue Grill

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    He gets banned all the time and has had multiple full account bans that are still in place. He was kicked out of this thread for a week after the election.
    (And when he came back you accused him of pouting for that week and were pretty rude yourself about it.)

    And I took a leave from the entire site for two weeks after my inappropriate behavior.

    But hey, keep complaining whenever you or others get lightly scolded or given a mild thread ban for being a muppet.
    Yes, I was wrong to do that, but you conveniently forgot to mention that he attacked me first. Had he not then I wouldn't have given him a taste of his own medicine. It's very simple. 98% of the time, I show the guy nothing but respect.

    I always make it a point before pressing reply to make sure that I am posting within the forums rules and guidelines. So yes, I absolutely will continue to stand up for myself when I'm thread banned for no reason other than you don't like me or what I have to say, don't worry.

    @Everyone
    What's to stop people who are here illegally from voting if we don't require ID's to vote?

    You need an ID to drive, serve in the military, buy alcohol/cigarettes, apply for food stamps, get married, buy/rent a car/house, go to a casino, see R-rated films, buy certain video games, purchase medicines, etc... So why shouldn't we require one to vote?
    Last edited by Louis-1988; November 27th, 2016 at 12:19 AM.

  5. #12545

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    What's to stop people who are here illegally from voting if we don't require ID's to vote?
    The fact that they wouldn't be on the voter rolls.

    Unless you're implying they'd just claim to be someone else, in which case they'd get caught the moment that other person showed up to vote, assuming they hadn't already.

  6. #12546
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Blue Grill

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    The fact that they wouldn't be on the voter rolls.

    Unless you're implying they'd just claim to be someone else, in which case they'd get caught the moment that other person showed up to vote, assuming they hadn't already.
    It's very possible. Two years back I had my identity stolen by a man from Germany who overstayed his visa. Filed taxes and everything.

  7. #12547

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    What's to stop people who are here illegally from voting if we don't require ID's to vote?

    You need an ID to drive, serve in the military, buy alcohol/cigarettes, apply for food stamps, get married, buy/rent a car/house, go to a casino, see R-rated films, buy certain video games, purchase medicines, etc... So why shouldn't we require one to vote?
    Simply because the party leading the charge on this. Isn't putting these laws on the books for altruistic reasons. And also aren't making it easy for people to get these IDs so they can vote in the first place.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; November 26th, 2016 at 11:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  8. #12548
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Blue Grill

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Nice edit. I'll respond to the original post, though. =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Simply because the party leading the charge on this. Isn't putting these laws on the books for altruistic reasons. And also aren't making it easy for people to get these IDs so they can vote in the first place.
    Only four states have implemented strict voter ID laws since Obama was elected. Prior to the 2008 election, 5 states had implemented strict voter ID laws with the most recent one being in 2005, so I doubt Obama is the reason.

    I do agree though that it should be less of a hassle to get a new ID. Had to order a new birth certificate for my mom after she moved in with me and bring a few articles of mail addressed to her at the new residence before the DMV would issue her a new one even though she had her old one on her, lol.

  9. #12549

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Because, hey, it's not like the GOP would also do things like closing sites that issue IDs to make it more difficult to acquire them after requiring them to vote, right? Or even outright lie about what constitutes a valid state ID?

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Do you think it's fishy that these laws made it so that in certain states that, if you had
    something like a College ID it couldn't be used instead?
    In Tennessee, student IDs are specifically excluded as being valid forms of ID; doesn't matter if it's a state school or not, it's not valid.

    Gun carry permits certainly are though.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  10. #12550

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    Nice edit. I'll respond to the original post, though. =P

    Only four states have implemented strict voter ID laws since Obama was elected. Prior to the 2008 election, 5 states had implemented strict voter ID laws with the most recent one being in 2005, so I doubt Obama is the reason.
    And yet it's a crazy as heck coincidence voter turnout in both of the last two elections happened to be a bit lower overall for democrats than they were
    in 2008 to say nothing of the fact that most of the people swearing by and pushing these laws are of course conservatives. Making the necessity of these laws even more dubious?




    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Because, hey, it's not like the GOP would also do things like closing sites that issue IDs to make it more difficult to acquire them after requiring them to vote, right? Or even outright lie about what constitutes a valid state ID?



    In Tennessee, student IDs are specifically excluded as being valid forms of ID; doesn't matter if it's a state school or not, it's not valid.

    Gun carry permits certainly are though.
    Could not for the life of me remember what state(s) were these and didn't feel like glossing over rules for all 50 states on
    Rock The Vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  11. #12551
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Blue Grill

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    And yet it's a crazy as heck coincidence voter turnout in both of the last two elections happened to be a bit lower overall for democrats than they were
    in 2008 to say nothing of the fact that most of the people swearing by and pushing these laws are of course conservatives. Making the necessity of these laws even more dubious?
    Yes, i'm sure the lower voter turnouts have nothing to do with Obama's approval ratings significantly dropping between 2008-2012 and Hillary being generally disliked.

  12. #12552

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    Yes, i'm sure the lower voter turnouts have nothing to do with Obama's approval ratings significantly dropping between 2008-2012
    I wonder exactly why his approval ratings were so low it surely wouldn't have had anything to
    do with Republicans engaging in a smear campaign and other things in an attempt to make
    Obama a one term president as Mitch McConnell mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    and Hillary being generally disliked.
    I think we've pulverized the dead horse to nothingness over this a long time ago.

    In either case Republicans played a significant role in the way Obama and Hillary were
    perceived in the last two elections and their selfish and petty attitudes towards people who
    vote democrat instead of Republican isn't really something you can dispute or attempt to
    discredit as the motivator behind these laws and restrictions.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; November 27th, 2016 at 02:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  13. #12553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Well not if you want to be booted from your apartment especially with winter coming up or wanna take the chance of getting attacked or killed in a shelter.

    Trump needs some magnets to put his tweets on the fridge.
    Hopefully that means he won't dismantle our recent trade negotiations. There's no need to negotiate with the "Castro regime" if Castro is dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    It's very possible. Two years back I had my identity stolen by a man from Germany who overstayed his visa. Filed taxes and everything.
    He tried to vote as you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    They should recount New Hampshire too since Hillary only won by less than 3000 votes there.
    If Trump wants to start calling for recounts, sure. The deadlines are BS IMO, a candidate who gets more than 25% of the vote should be able to call for a recount at any time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why people think black people don't have enough money to get an ID? You need an ID to do a hell of a lot more than vote. You have to show/have it to buy cigarettes and alcohol, when applying for most jobs, in order to drive (which yes, would matter less in places that have good public transport), among other things. If they want to keep thinking that I'm sure some people would support free picture IDs if they insist requiring an ID helps keep voting legitimate. Or is there a reason why even free IDs would be racist?
    I just had to spend a hundred dollars getting my ID renewed last year. They should absolutely be free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    If republicans are all trying to suppress minority votes, democrats should go for lowering barriers to getting IDs because I'm with Wolfwood in that I don't think being able to vote without proving who you are is a good thing. I think it's just as fishy that they're for no-ID voting rather than easier to get IDs.
    Yeah, I don't understand that either. Widespread free IDs would be the first step towards internet voting being a real possibility.

    The other way to ensure that no one claims another person's vote is to make voting mandatory, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    What about prescription medicine? I mean if lack of ID is a major problem in the US.

    Would be quite a good racket if you can just claim to be the recipient
    People do that, actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    In between jobs once I skipped buying meds because they went from 12.00 dollars to being almost 150.00.
    A lot of us have horrible stories like that. :(

    We need to get some serious torches and pitchforks.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; November 27th, 2016 at 04:40 AM.

  14. #12554

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Interesting video. I don't see it happening. But it's a way of Pence becoming president ( barf) over Trump without impeachment.

    https://youtu.be/Gnnj_YjdJgs

  15. #12555
    Discovered Stew Femme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A very special place

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Wow I had no idea you had to pay for IDs in the states, so I had the same reaction of "huh? IDs aren't required to vote?". Just learned where more of our tax dollars go, I guess.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    And in that same vein I personally think the taxes in the states Should rise to cover costs of free IDs. Everyone needs them, and everyone already pays for them so there you go.
    Hidden:



  16. #12556

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    Wow I had no idea you had to pay for IDs in the states, so I had the same reaction of "huh? IDs aren't required to vote?". Just learned where more of our tax dollars go, I guess.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    And in that same vein I personally think the taxes in the states Should rise to cover costs of free IDs. Everyone needs them, and everyone already pays for them so there you go.
    They only ever raise taxes on poor people.

  17. #12557
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Blue Grill

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I wonder exactly why his approval ratings were so low it surely wouldn't have had anything to
    do with Republicans engaging in a smear campaign and other things in an attempt to make
    Obama a one term president as Mitch McConnell mentioned.



    I think we've pulverized the dead horse to nothingness over this a long time ago.

    In either case Republicans played a significant role in the way Obama and Hillary were
    perceived in the last two elections and their selfish and petty attitudes towards people who
    vote democrat instead of Republican isn't really something you can dispute or attempt to
    discredit as the motivator behind these laws and restrictions.
    You say that as though it only works one way, lol... did the Democrats not try their damndest to make Bush Jr and Bush Sr one term presidents? That's politics.

    Hillary lost to Trump. She lost to Trump. A guy who has the lowest favorability ratings we've ever seen. She lost to a guy who with zero political experience and who many liberals strongly believe is a racist, bigoted, misogynist xenophobe. If you can't convince people that you're at least marginally better than that guy for the job, then the problem lies with you, not the Republicans. I didn't need the Republicans to help convince to dislike Hillary. I haven't been a fan of hers since she ran against Obama in the 2008 primaries.

  18. #12558
    Discovered Stew Femme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A very special place

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    They only ever raise taxes on poor people.
    Sigh. US Politics is honestly really frustrating at times. It's like, the country doesn't have some basic things that most other first world countries have, but making any changes to bring about those basic things seems utterly impossible.
    Hidden:



  19. #12559

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Hillary beat Trump by 2 million votes. And rising.

    After the media did an endless smear campaign over emails while letting all of Trumps faults and hypocrisies slide and constantly presenting them as "equally bad." Along with Russia and the FBI apparently working to aid Trump. And voter suppression laws targeted largely at Democrats.

    And now, the media can't even call a nazi a nazi.

    The fact that Trump "won" shines more light on the Republican base more than anything else.
    Last edited by Robby; November 27th, 2016 at 09:49 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  20. #12560

    Default Re: Indecision 2016 - Can we get a do-over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    You say that as though it only works one way, lol... did the Democrats not try their damndest to make Bush Jr and Bush Sr one term presidents? That's politics.
    Democrats voted along with Bush Jr.'s tax cuts and Iraq war. Republicans didn't even vote along with Zika and Flint water crisis aid relief.

    But keep doing this "both sides!!!" thing.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts