+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: History enthusiasts

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Default Re: History enthusiasts

So, curiously enough, the recent One Piece chapter led me onto find something rather odd. The form Napoleon took as "Cognac", the curved sword with a notch in the back? Well, according to some sources, it is a Seax, like the kind found on the flag and coat of arms of Essex, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex#...g_of_Essex.svg

There's reports of Kings of Essex going into battle with a flag of three swords. But what is odd is that the Seax was usually more like a straight-edged knife. And doubly so considering the time of Essex as a kingdom, curved swords like the one on the flag was almost never seen. The closest thing you would find is a Falchion, but even then that is more of a cleaver then the almost scimitar-like sword we see on the flag.

So how was it that Essex, quite far from the Middle East and the Steppes, adopted a sword that I don't think was ever used, onto their flag? This is something that is pretty interesting to think about.

That's the flag for the county of Essex, which I'll guess was designed not too many centuries back based on older traditions ideas. And was not at all a flag flown by the Kingdom of Essex.

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

Not sure if this is the sort of thing this thread is normally used for, but I found this dude on the AskHistorians subreddit who has a lot of seemingly well-sourced (I say "seemingly" not to cast aspersions, just to qualify that I'm not really qualified to say with any certainty whether they are or aren't well-sourced) answers to a load of questions on the history of piracy. Since this is a forum based on a pirate manga I figured people here might find it interesting.
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Know anyone charismatic ?
    Last edited by Nilitch; January 22nd, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Maybe JFK. He was a charming guy, and if he hadn't been assassinated we would have seen just how good he was at using his charisma. But I know his memory is like worshipped.

Is there a map that shows the height of the Roman Empire on modern borders and/or all countries that were a part of it? Like, wiki has a map of it at it's zenith, but I'm not sure where it fully is, if that makes any sense.

Thoughts about this? And your own theories on what would have happened if JFK wasn't murdered?

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - 雄塩; Character - Ayano Sugiura; Series - Yuru Yuri
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Is there a map that shows the height of the Roman Empire on modern borders and/or all countries that were a part of it? Like, wiki has a map of it at it's zenith, but I'm not sure where it fully is, if that makes any sense.
    Late response, but if you ask specifics I could give answers.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Thoughts about this? And your own theories on what would have happened if JFK wasn't murdered?
    Pretty much nothing that important. Kennedy was arguably less charismatic than Obama is. Ans he was more preoccupied about banging Hollywood celebrities than actually doing politics.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Does this help
    Hidden:

Yes, it does, actually. :) Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Pretty much nothing that important. Kennedy was arguably less charismatic than Obama is. Ans he was more preoccupied about banging Hollywood celebrities than actually doing politics.
    Oh, oki. So, it's actually true that he was banging Hollywood celebrities? Makes me wonder what his wife and the nation thought of that at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    That's actually pretty cool. I enjoy maps and stuff, so it's just to see things like this.

Signature:
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548

Oh, oki. So, it's actually true that he was banging Hollywood celebrities? Makes me wonder what his wife and the nation thought of that at the time.
    Well, let's see he's a white man in the 60's before the no justification divorce law came in the 80s so we, he could bang anyone he wanted and Jackie gotta stay quiet and the american men you go "Nice!" to any hetero sexual scandal of his.
    On the Kennedy video, as an person that liked deeply of alt history as a young but hasn't dwelled into it's deep waters of it,the things I think you be different:
    1)Civil rights movement, Kennedy don't appear to be the crude bully type Johnson was so the Civil Rights Law might be delayed as he said;
    2)'Nam might have occurred in a different fashion.
    3)A Kennedy endoserd Johnson would fit into America ideology by '68 (all innuendo is due) or Nixon grassroots movement since Goldwater would prevail? Would Bob Kennedy be a candidate, a start of a dynasty?
    4)Would he have spent more funds int he Space Race if 'Nam was different? He was the man to say they would put a man on the moon by the end of the decade.
    5)Stones Sympathy for the Devil would have different lyrics, which I don't like.

I think most of it is pretty on point. I'm not a huge fan of what-if scenarios, because it's kind of pointless exercise, but I believe his death was ultimately beneficial for the US (at least short-term) when it comes to domestic policies, such as the civil rights movement. As has been mentioned, JFK would've been very unlikely to succeed the way LBJ did, and who knows if further delay wouldn't have greatly increased violence. I can't say much about JFK's foreign policies, so I don't really think I'd have much of an idea on how Vietnam would've panned out with him. I also think the US has lost its optimism with his death, and became a bit disillusioned with itself. It was quite a smack back to reality. I remember reading an article for a class claiming that reaility check is what ultimately led to conservatives rising again after, and then the absolute disaster that was the Reagan administration. Not sure I'd give the impact of his death that much credit, but it certainly did have a huge impact on US history.

Sorry for the late responses!

Well, let's see he's a white man in the 60's before the no justification divorce law came in the 80s so we, he could bang anyone he wanted and Jackie gotta stay quiet and the american men you go "Nice!" to any hetero sexual scandal of his.
    Damn. I would think religious people during that time would care. Interesting.

On the Kennedy video, as an person that liked deeply of alt history as a young but hasn't dwelled into it's deep waters of it,the things I think you be different:
    1)Civil rights movement, Kennedy don't appear to be the crude bully type Johnson was so the Civil Rights Law might be delayed as he said;
    Yeah, I see. I didn't know Johnson was really tough on it. It's pretty interesting how two people can do stuff differently.

2)'Nam might have occurred in a different fashion.
    How so?

3)A Kennedy endoserd Johnson would fit into America ideology by '68 (all innuendo is due) or Nixon grassroots movement since Goldwater would prevail? Would Bob Kennedy be a candidate, a start of a dynasty?
    Hmmm, interesting. Maybe. What do you mean that Goldwater would prevail?

4)Would he have spent more funds int he Space Race if 'Nam was different? He was the man to say they would put a man on the moon by the end of the decade.
    I wonder. Maybe. Is Vietnam connected with the space race?

5)Stones Sympathy for the Devil would have different lyrics, which I don't like.
    Ah, lool xD

Quote Originally Posted by H.I.M. View Post
    I think most of it is pretty on point. I'm not a huge fan of what-if scenarios, because it's kind of pointless exercise, but I believe his death was ultimately beneficial for the US (at least short-term) when it comes to domestic policies, such as the civil rights movement.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I never knew his death could have had such an impact on policy changes in America. Wasn't his death to, as increases to the Secret Service?

As has been mentioned, JFK would've been very unlikely to succeed the way LBJ did, and who knows if further delay wouldn't have greatly increased violence.
    Yeah, it probably would have, as compared to now with the Black Lives movement, a lot of people are pissed, and had enough bullshit. So, it probably would have happened, I think.

I can't say much about JFK's foreign policies, so I don't really think I'd have much of an idea on how Vietnam would've panned out with him. I also think the US has lost its optimism with his death, and became a bit disillusioned with itself. It was quite a smack back to reality.
    Interesting way of putting it. I don't know much about Vietnam besides people protesting the draft heavily.

I remember reading an article for a class claiming that reaility check is what ultimately led to conservatives rising again after, and then the absolute disaster that was the Reagan administration. Not sure I'd give the impact of his death that much credit, but it certainly did have a huge impact on US history.
    Yeah, it did. I wish I knew more what people liked about him during his presidency. I feel like his death made him more famous than compared to whatever he done when he was alive.

Signature:

Johnson was also a southern democrat that could deal better with the southern democrats in the way of the Civil Rights Act.
    Kennedy was a diplomatic type, he did wonders on the Cuban Missile crisis, he was pro deescalation of conflicts all the while Che was screaming at Fidel to nuke the capitalist pigs, so 4 more years of Kennedy might have changed how the 'Nam intervention took shape.
    Without 'Nam maybe Nasa's budget could be higher, because US lost all the propaganda points to the Soviets in the space race, the only win was the moon landing. We can't say how a different scenario might've changed things.
    On the Goldwater, no he would lose badly '64, the thing is Nixon picked the grassroots type of campaign and started his own election race in '64, that's 4 years preparing for the election. Kennedy's endorsement on Johnson would be enough?

I just came across this documentary about the Marshall Islands and it definitely impressed me. It mainly focuses on its upcoming demise due to climate change while covering some history I had no idea of, definitely worth sharing.

Johnson was also a southern democrat that could deal better with the southern democrats in the way of the Civil Rights Act.
    Yeah, that helped quite a lot it seems.

Kennedy was a diplomatic type, he did wonders on the Cuban Missile crisis, he was pro deescalation of conflicts all the while Che was screaming at Fidel to nuke the capitalist pigs, so 4 more years of Kennedy might have changed how the 'Nam intervention took shape.
    Oh, I see. What was the Cuban Missile crisis about?

Without 'Nam maybe Nasa's budget could be higher, because US lost all the propaganda points to the Soviets in the space race, the only win was the moon landing. We can't say how a different scenario might've changed things.
    Oooo, I didn't think about that. All the military budget from that war could have been put into NASA. It probably would be more space exploration from what you saying.

On the Goldwater, no he would lose badly '64, the thing is Nixon picked the grassroots type of campaign and started his own election race in '64, that's 4 years preparing for the election. Kennedy's endorsement on Johnson would be enough?
    Oooo, I see I see. I think his endorsement would have been enough depending how well a job he had done if he had not died.

Quote Originally Posted by akagami7 View Post
    I just came across this documentary about the Marshall Islands and it definitely impressed me. It mainly focuses on its upcoming demise due to climate change while covering some history I had no idea of, definitely worth sharing.
    Once I get a chance to watch this, I let you know my opinion about it. I don't anything about the Marshall Islands, so it be nice to learn about something new.

Signature:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information