+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solo Leveling

Default Solo Leveling

Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Webtoon

Author: Jang Sung-Lak

Artist: Gee So-Lyung

Description:

10 years ago, after “the Gate” that connected the real world with the monster world opened, some of the ordinary, everyday people received the power to hunt monsters within the Gate. They are known as "Hunters". However, not all Hunters are powerful. My name is Sung Jin-Woo, an E-rank Hunter. I'm someone who has to risk his life in the lowliest of dungeons, the "World's Weakest". Having no skills whatsoever to display, I barely earned the required money by fighting in low-leveled dungeons… at least until I found a hidden dungeon with the hardest difficulty within the D-rank dungeons! In the end, as I was accepting death, I suddenly received a strange power, a quest log that only I could see, a secret to leveling up that only I know about! If I trained in accordance with my quests and hunted monsters, my level would rise. Changing from the weakest Hunter to the strongest S-rank Hunter!

Is anyone reading this new Manhwa? I've been enjoying it a lot since I saw it explode in popularity at Reddit.

First chapter: https://mangadex.org/chapter/477807/1

The scans are almost caught up, they are releasing daily and currently at ch 40 while raws are at 49.

Default Re: Solo Leveling

The problem with this game scenario series is that they become rapidly very technical with too many skills and the hero has systematically broken abilities
    So they are fun in the begining but soon you get tired and stop reading them.
    it went that way for me with 'the gamer' and the spider girl manga. i'm not expecting any better from that title.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    The problem with this game scenario series is that they become rapidly very technical with too many skills and the hero has systematically broken abilities
    So they are fun in the begining but soon you get tired and stop reading them.
    it went that way for me with 'the gamer' and the spider girl manga. i'm not expecting any better from that title.
    The concept may not be original but the execution is superb IMO.

The pace is pretty fast, plus the art is actually AMAZING. [ Honestly, just look at this ]

Not to mention the mind games and the tense atmosphere in the dungeons, the stakes are real and the author have no problem killing characters and traumatizing others which really sells the whole thing. The MC developments are great and its only 40 chapters in.

It could really turn out as you said, but I'm enjoying it very much at the moment and highly recommend it.
    Last edited by mrsword; December 15th, 2018 at 04:46 PM.

I never tire of these types of scenarios, so I'll read it in a bit.
    "Danger is my middle name."

I'm just catching up with Noblesse and don't feel like catching up to ToG, Magician or Gamer yet. So will definitely check it out. ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

I'm on chapter 19 currently. I can definitely recommend. It's a lot like The Gamer in some respects, in a good way. MC has quests, levels, and such, but (at least at the moment) he doesn't have any magic skills.

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

I like this genre though also agree that down the line many drop in quality. About this particular manhwa, I don't like how the character is always pondering stuff for 2 chapters before it happens when every reader sees it coming from a mile. Except for the gamer aspect, dungeon raiding stuff should be common knowledge in-universe as well. A bit more genre savviness would be welcome.

Also, tone down the rank speak: "He's an E-rank hunter in a D-rank guild fighting in a C-rank dungeon against a C-rank boss with only a D-rank weapon, even a B-rank would have trouble..."
    I hate quacks.

I'm caught up on this now. Still really enjoy it, though I do agree the "rank speak" is laid on a bit more thick than it needs to be, and the pace could be a little quicker.

What are some others in this genre? I've been reading a few (The Gamer, Re:Monster, Overlord, Maken no Daydreamer, LV999 no Murabito, and I Shall Survive Using Potions come to mind), but more is always good.
    Last edited by Maes Hughes; December 16th, 2018 at 12:55 PM.

This manga is awesome and I have no problem with the Rank Speak.

Spoiler:
    The job that he awakens is so freaking great and i'm really looking forward to what it entails, next chapter.

If you haven't read it yet, you might also like another manhwa called The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. I just finishing binging it yesterday.

ummm Does the partner thing only apply to non hunter companions? Cause if he can start leveling up hunters..... well he will end up having one super powerful Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    ummm Does the partner thing only apply to non hunter companions? Cause if he can start leveling up hunters..... well he will end up having one super powerful Guild
    Hunters cannot see nor interact with the 'system', hence they won't be able to initiate or accept party invite.

Beside, he's already leveling his own army.

Well... I can't say that the story has been bad, but after a while it just became kind of ridiculous power scaling. As he has risen through the hunter ranks he keeps meeting new more powerful humans and enemies. The fact that he has these powers makes him stand out, but it has started to seem like all other humans are worthless.
    Life flows on. I'd just go with it if I were me.

Have to agree. The art is leagues above other manhwas and I'm kind of curious to see where the meta story will take us (who/what is behind that system and what the protagonist's part in it all will be), but that could be a long way down the road and the power scaling ain't getting any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Isn't the absurd power scaling basically the whole plot of this manhwa?

It's light novel that has already finished. The last quarter of it was badly google translated last I looked, but it means you can go find out the story if you are so inclined.

Yes the purpose of the story is about the main character getting more powerful, but at some point it seems like it became less about showing how powerful he is, and more about showing how weak the rest of the human race is in comparison. It is a minor change that still achieved the purpose of showing his power, but I didn't care for.

It's certainly doing a beter job than Re:Monster.

I haven't read it, but if it marginalizes everyone more than SL, I do not think it is one I would want to pick up. Thank you for the heads up

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information