+ Reply to Thread
Page 165 of 170 FirstFirst ... 65 115 155 163 164 165 166 167 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 3382

Thread: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part II: Do the Dio Walk!

Default Re: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part II: Do the Dio Walk!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quichotte De Flamingo View Post
    and what the heck is that new power of soft&wet?
    Just good ol' Araki nonchalantely bulshitting his way out of the corners his really cool but not really well thought through setups write him into.

About the new chapter:
    Spoiler:
    Kaato's gambit is really reminescent of Lucy's nasty handling of alternte Dio from 150 years prior, and overall pretty cool. Chapter was a fair bit dragged out though, exploiting the building of Kaato's charachter to repeat at length things we already knew all too well, but it was okay.

Aalso, really a nice touch that, while having the same -king themed stand as every other Higashikata, she shares the namesake with her favourite son (as both Speed King and Space Truckin'(g) are Deep Purple songs)
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

I really barely remembered this stuff, I got one am glad for the recap
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

We'll probably never get Space Jam.

Araki basically lives a bizzare adventure

You need a Gilf to deal with a doctor
    https://imgur.com/a/netYnDk

Wrapping things up i see. Quite hastly too.

If this really is the end then this is incredibly confusing. It really does mean the future we saw that was building up anticiaption actually was nothing at all and all ther other plot points were just dropped. I guess we'll find out next month but I have conflicted feelings.

Very poor finale to an already not very good arc. There's two more chapters in the volume this chapter will be in so the series will likely end in 2 chapters unless we get some new storyline out of nowhere. Yasuho's narration makes it seem like it's going to end soon (it reminds me of the narration at the end of part 4). It's a shame because I thought the part was pretty good for a decent amount of it but pretty much everything since they first went to the hospital has been mediocre to bad with small bits of cool stuff in it.

Caato's existence was unnecessary too. This is really the only thing she did in the story. And if Jobin is dead that was also a waste of a good character.

Well that was certainly bizarre.

I loved this chapter just because we are finally free from the fucking head doctor.

Other than that, liked Cato's deus ex grandma moment, I'm sure Josuke will rescue some Roaka juice for Holy next chapter or something.

I just really disliked Tooru. And if this is it for part 8 (not counting a part 9 that carries over this one's misteries) it ends in a sour note.

But Norisuke and the girls survived a worse wound than a split kidney I think, so Cato and some more story could still come, but either Cato decides to take another cause, another random rock human with an even more broken power shows up, or something even more bizarre happens, like, I dunno, they don't have another epic stand battle but talk it out?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Jojolion is a disappointment. Especially since it references part 4 which is one of of my favourite and it comes after the fantastic Steel Ball Run. Araki just lost himself in the plot and there is no amount of JoJo randomness that can justify it nor save it.

Fascinating… that was certainly bizarre, but it’s really interesting what Araki did here. Randomness was the intent. Indeed, alongside calamity comes sudden tragedy and loss.

Was this the theme of Jojolion all along? Creating characters that would always die in the end. The ephemerality of existence and living life to the fullest…?

Having a character that was destined to die was a running theory in Jojolion, but people expected it to be Josuke, not Cato, if that's what Araki really has done. It fits her character to but she was nowhere near developed enough for it to make a good impact on the reader.

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

There is a certain irony in both Jojolion and Diamond is not Crash having a flashback man that will neither get explained nor resolved as a dangling plot thread... if it indeed ends with the next chapter, that is.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

I really wanted to like part 8, put it was pretty clear from the get go that Araki was a bit in out of his depth. He just doesn't do this kind of story, he doesn't do slowly unreveling misteries, foreshadowing, large recurring casts, setups in an arc with payoffs in another.
    You can find people arguing with a serious face that Star Platinum stopping time was actually meant from the beginning and its super speed and precision was just a consequence of that, and i can buy it because sure, why not. But nobody can sell to anybody that S&W bubbles were quantum strings since chapter 2, that the Rokakaka was a thing when the wall eyes were biting stands into people, that Tooru was plotting in the dark while Josuke and Norisuke were looking for the architect's rock penis. It's the classic JOjo constant improvvisation, but with a story framed like this felt really jarring this time.

There were great moments along the way but i had little hope that the conclusion would be anything more than disappointing, sadly.

I really think this is the weakest jojo part, all things considered.
    And yet still it gave us Damo. Just to give a perspective of what "weak" jojo actually is.

It's really everything post-Damo that brings the whole series down. Before that, everything was pretty consistent and the mystery was decent.

I've been reserving judgment on the series until the end but now that we're about to hit the end, I have to say this is by far the worst Jojo Part to the point I would say it is outright bad. Part 1 was a simple story that accomplished what it had to do and the first Jojo so you had to grade it on a curve and besides it had the amazing charisma of Dio. Part 5 has a lot of weaknesses but it also had some of the best stand battles of the series, all the Passione members (except Fugo) were great and even though Giorno was a weak protagonist, you can at least understand the charisma he had that drew his team together. And I love Part 6 even though that ending is controversial. And I don't think anyone questions the quality of parts 2-4 and especially 7.

There are good things about part 8, I think Yasuho is wonderful, I think it had a strong set up, I think the whole Kira/Josuke backstory and the Domon arc showed what the series could have been at its best potential. And I will always treasure Joubin the mastermind going out like a little bitch to Wonder of U. But there are just too many plot threads dropped, too many potentially interesting characters wasted, none of the Higashikata family (except fucking Joshuu) ended up mattering in the end. Josuke 8 is the worst protagonist of the series making even Giorno look good by comparison. He's just so bland and there is nothing to him. A lot of potentially great characters never ended up doing anything outside their initial one arc intro. Hato, Daiya, Mitsubi, Kaato (literally shows up to die), Kei Nijimura, hell remember when Yukako was in the series? But thank goodness we dedicated a large portion of the endgame to Rai Mamezuku, the plant appraiser. And the kicker to all this is that this series had to go and give Johnny the worst fate a Joestar has ever had and for no real good reason (that also never got a fucking follow up except the fruit is important guys). Even the wonderful action scenes from part 7 where marred with subpar choreography and scene composition and a poor establishment in enemy abilities, something Araki usually excels at.

I don't know what happened with Araki, I guess he burned out, I guess he got tired of the series despite never writing anything that progresses the story, it went on for longer than even Part 7 and yet nothing ever felt was accomplished. Maybe Araki just isn't good at these slowly reveal information as you go along series, he's a man who makes things up on the spot. I think Araki needs to take a long two year sabbatical after this and recharge his batteries and get some fresh inspiration. It's sad how we went from objectively the best Jojo part in the series to the worst but it is what it is.

Araki simply doesn't have the traits to write an unravel of mysteries kind of story. Damo was really the peak of Jojolion. A 89 yo head doctor was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by black-leg jex View Post
    It really does mean the future we saw that was building up anticiaption actually was nothing at all and all ther other plot points were just dropped.
    Gee that sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    . And I don't think anyone questions the quality of parts 2-4
    Aside from Joseph soloing all the Pillarmen meaning Caesar (who he trained with to take them on) and LisaLisa who is supposed to be a stronger Hamon user than him don't get to do nothing aside from get their asses kicked. Stroheim predictably showing up to give Kars his second wind after Joseph had him dead to rights, LisaLisa revealing she's Joseph's mother......happening offscreen after chapters of build.

SC Araki turning Polnareff into Iggy's bitch after his debut fight against Abdul (the latter of whom Araki also couldn't draw), killing off Abdul twice, the battle between Dio & Jotaro which because of Dio's broken time powers doesn't hold up that well..........and people only cite because of the steam roller and Koyasu shouting " Kono Dio Da"

DiU problems are Kira being a bland uninteresting villain with a dumb motivation who could've easily had been apart of the earlier villain of the week esque format hell he could've replaced Anjuro and you'd not lose anything, I don't how it was handled in the manga but Josuke's & Joseph's interaction wasn't much (given how he handled the reveal of LisaLisa and Joseph reconciling this isn't surprising), Yukako & Koji winding up together despite Yukako kidnapping him, torturing him, & threatening to kill him, the unexplained weirdness with Mikitaka.

I'll probably have more to call out once I watch the Golden Wind adaptation..............don't know if I'm touching Stone Ocean though.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; June 19th, 2021 at 06:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Not official - but it seems it ends in 2 more chapters
    https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/st...904946688?s=21

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information