View Poll Results: Can Jet Fuel Melt Steel Beams?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beyond Good and Evil

8 44.44%
  • Paper Mario

8 44.44%
  • Breath of Fire

2 11.11%
  • Cruisin' Exotica

1 5.56%
  • Jet Set Radio

2 11.11%
  • Final Fantasy IV

4 22.22%
  • Harvest Moon 64

1 5.56%
  • Donkey Kong Country

3 16.67%
  • Donkey Kong Country 3

5 27.78%
  • Megaman X

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Game Party: HD + Remaster May - Mother 3

Default Retro Game Party: HD + Remaster May - Mother 3

I'm making this thread in lieu of Kitsune Inferno due to his absence (mostly a copy/paste from last month).

Hello, fellow gameophiles.~ When a new game comes out here on AP, it tends to spark real-time discussion as people post their progress and whatnot and share their thoughts as they play. There's usually pages upon pages of ripe discussion on the game in question. But then it drops off over time as everyone beats the game and goes on with their lives. Sure, SOMEBODY's out there playing Chrono Trigger right now, but there's a lack of any large-scale discussion to take part in. And I bet you've been looking for an excuse to replay Ocarina of Time, haven't you?

Enter the AP Retro Game Party:
    1. Once a month, AP members cast their vote on a game to play from any era up to the N64/PSX/Dreamcast era for consoles, and GBA era for handhelds.
    2. During the month, we will replay the game. Most of us will play start to finish, but you are free to load up past saves or play up to wherever you please, so long as your discussion is about what you've played during the month.
    3. As we play, we simply post and share our opinions and thoughts, as frequently as we'd like. These opinions and thoughts are meant to be completely based off of this playthrough, though you may make comparisons to old opinions.

That's basically the gist of it. Everything else is discussed below in detail.

Mission

* Encouraging and Promoting Discussion: We're here to promote discussion and thoughts on the game in real-time as you play it, much like in newer game threads as everyone gets a hold of a new game and plays through it. This is the perfect chance to schedule a replay of those dusty old classics, because we're all doing it! As for discussion itself, anything goes. Thoughts on plot, gameplay, presentation, design, whatever, it's all up for discussion!
    * Evaluating Prior Conceptions and Adopting New Perspectives: You might think Super Mario World was the best game ever last time you played, but how do you feel about it now? Do you feel like you enjoy the game more? Do you feel like you enjoy it less? We want you to share your altered or unaltered opinions and new perspectives as you play through the game! So come into the experience with an open but critical mind.
    * Experiencing Classics Again or for the Very First Time: While the idea is to relive games we've already played, there's still plenty of room here for first-time players. We want to see new players get to enjoy the things we did so many years ago! With that in mind, however, spoilers simply cannot be avoided within this discussion. Some of us know who is going to die at the end of Disc Five, and this particular death is probably going to play a pivotal role in the experience of the game.

Keep in Mind

1. If you're not currently playing the game as part of the thread, we don't care.
    2. You are free to mention prior playthroughs and your thoughts on them, so long as you're primarily posting new material and new reactions AS YOU ARE PLAYING THE GAME. Old thoughts are meant to be simply comparisons only.
    3. You are free to enter the discussion at any time, so long as we have not moved on to a new game. It's okay to start at the end of the month, just be warned you probably won't finish with the rest of us.
    4. Be mindful of spoilers at your own discretion. Basically, anything you as a player think is best kept a secret for a new player should be tagged appropriately (or vague or something).
    5. Golden Rings are not an acceptable form of currency in this thread. Sorry, Sonic fans, your money's no good here.

That's about it, really. If you have any questions, ask me or Wagomu.

---

Now then, this month's adventure begins today! The game you guys chose is Mother 3.

Don't have a copy of Mother 3? It's a very simple process to get the English patch running in an emulator:
    1. Download the Japanese ROM and a GBA emulator if you need them (emuparadise.me is a good resource)
    2. Click here, download the patch, and follow their very simple readme file
    I think that's about all I can say. The Party is now underway!

---

Past Game Parties:
    JUNE 2012: Final Fantasy VII - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35388
    JULY 2012: Earthbound - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35664
    AUGUST 2012: The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35981
    SEPTEMBER 2012: Spyro the Dragon - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=36213
    OCTOBER 2012: Sonic Adventure 2 - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=36393
    NOVEMBER 2012: Fire Emblem -

FEBRUARY 2015: Earthbound
    MARCH 2015: Super Metroid
    APRIL 2015: Banjo-Kazooie

Default Re: Retro Game Party: HD + Remaster May - Mother 3

Don't have a copy of Mother 3? It's a very simple process to get the English patch running in an emulator:
    1. Download the Japanese ROM and a GBA emulator if you need them (emuparadise.me is a good resource)
    2. Click here, download the patch, and follow their very simple readme file

I'll also add that there is no actual legit way of getting Mother 3, so no one has to feel bad for emulating it. It never made it to the states and its long out of print overseas, so go nuts with the downloading.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I'll also add that there is no actual legit way of getting Mother 3, so no one has to feel bad for emulating it. It never made it to the states and its long out of print overseas, so go nuts with the downloading.
    That said, if it ever gets brought back or officially released by Nintendo over here, BUY IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
    Buy a box of kleenex as well.

Also, this is my second favorite game of all time, and what I would probably consider the best game of all time (biased), so I'll probably be talking A LOT. Expect essays. Oh man, I'm so hyped.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Alternatively there is prepatched Mother 3 roms (tho mostly in GBA format)
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

MMMMMMMMMMMMMother 3 time

Since we're expressing our love for the game, I'll bring up again the Mother 3 handbook. It's not a game guide, but more of a supplemental book to help you get the most out of the game. Very professionally done.

I figure i should play Earthbound first since I already got it for free off Club Nintendo
    How do the two games compare and do you actually need to play one before the other?
    NNID: julsjacket

I mean you probably should play EB before M3, because although only a few plot elements carry over into M3, One plot element especially is a really big one that got brought into M3

And currently my flavor of the day says that M3 is better than EB (although that tends to fluctuate), so yeah.

Mother 3 does stand up perfectly fine without any previous series context. You don't lose any of what actually matters. The reference to Earthbound is cool but not essential.

Yeah. I was kinda debating it because the stories really aren't all that interconnected, but I think some parallels between the two are really great to have by playing EB before M3.

I just don't want to discourage people from playing an amazing game because they feel they need to play the previous entry first. Which isn't even really a prequel.

Quote Originally Posted by fedcom View Post
    I figure i should play Earthbound first since I already got it for free off Club Nintendo
    How do the two games compare and do you actually need to play one before the other?
    I'd say if you have the time, definitely play both, it does help to know the back stories of a few parts, but it's not essential.

I actually have the rare distinction of being a person outside Japan who played Mother 1, Mother 2, then Mother 3 in ORDER! I honestly thing my experience was better for it too because the few elements that do carry over have backstories that get built upon.

Spoiler'd my further thoughts because spoilers
    Spoiler:
    Mother tells about the origin of Gigyas, and you learn exactly who he was.

Gigyas' race are aliens who know the powers of PSI who kidnap a couple named George and Maria. It never says why they were kidnapped, I assume to study them. Anyway, while on the ship, they actually raise Gigyas and learn the powers of PSI, which ultimately allows them to escape to earth. The Aliens, fearing that PSI will spread to the people of earth and not wanting that to happen, decide to send an operative to invade earth and stop it. As Gigyas has the most experience with humans, being raised by two, they send him.

This backfires since his emotional attachment to George and Maria makes him unwilling to fully commit to attacking, so he waits and attacks years later when George and Maria aren't around anymore. During this wait, he finds the "Apple of Enlightenment" which tells him about how he will be defeated by a young boy named Ness, so he attacks earlier than anticipated instead going against George and Maria's Great Grandson Ninten.

during the fight with Ninten and his party, they sing the 8 Melodies, which are a lullabye Maria used to sing Gigyas, which basically beats him with the power of love, causing him to leave but vow to return.

During the lull between Mother 1 and 2 he grows more powerful, amassing a cosmic level of power to the point that his physical form breaks down and he becomes a mass of power and evil that can only be contained in a machine called the "Devil's Machine". Still trying to prevent the prophecy of his defeat from coming true, he uses time travel and manipulation to manipulate Porky Minch into doing the majority of his dirty work, leading to the events of Mother 2/Earthbound. Ultimately, Porky time travels as a result of this and his body is ravaged and destroyed leading to the final battle with him and Gigyas who is unleashed from the Devil's Machine, causing him to completely lose control and basically become an "Almighty Idiot" according to Porky.

Gigyas is so unstable at this point that human emotion once again is able to best him, this time fully destroying him, as Ness, his party, and the people who have helped him on his journey collectively pray, causing the destruction of Gigyas while Porky escapes in one of the time Machine devices.

This leads into Mother 3 where Porky rises to power and becomes king of the Pig Empire, tho I haven't beaten it yet so I don't know what happens next.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    Since we're expressing our love for the game, I'll bring up again the Mother 3 handbook. It's not a game guide, but more of a supplemental book to help you get the most out of the game. Very professionally done.
    I would like further this by adding that if you're experiencing this game for the first time, try to avoid the guide when possible. It is capable of spoiling things and as a whole I think the game shines more when you explore and aim to figure things out on your own.

Explore. EVERYTHING. Talk to everyone. And everything.

You really don't need a walkthrough at all to just get through the game either. It's not exactly hard to figure out where to go. And it's a lot more fun and satisfying to figure things out yourself.

NNID: Panekai

The adventure is half the fun~~~~~~~

The other half is tearing your heart out through the amazing storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Panekai View Post
    You really don't need a walkthrough at all to just get through the game either. It's not exactly hard to figure out where to go. And it's a lot more fun and satisfying to figure things out yourself.
    Like I said, it's not a walkthrough at all. More of a supplemental guide that informs you of the nooks and crannies of the game, and not a simple "Do this, then do that" book. Really, half the reason I just love the book is because of all the care that's been put into it by fans, and how professional it is.

But like any game, and as Noqanky suggests, experiencing it on your own is quite dandy~

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    Seems like something best read after people experience the game, since it goes into extreme detail about every single thing.

Noting for those who haven't played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    Like I said, it's not a walkthrough at all. More of a supplemental guide that informs you of the nooks and crannies of the game, and not a simple "Do this, then do that" book. Really, half the reason I just love the book is because of all the care that's been put into it by fans, and how professional it is.

But like any game, and as Noqanky suggests, experiencing it on your own is quite dandy~
    Oh, I know it's not a simple walkthrough. I've read through the whole thing ages ago. I just think first timers should experience the game completely blind is all.

NNID: Panekai

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information