View Poll Results: Who has the most perfectly crafted gameplay in Sonic 06?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

7 53.85%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

5 38.46%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

5 38.46%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

5 38.46%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

5 38.46%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

8 61.54%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

5 38.46%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

5 38.46%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

5 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: APRIL FOOLS 2015- Retro Game Party: Sonic the Hedgehog

Default APRIL FOOLS 2015- Retro Game Party: Sonic the Hedgehog

Hello, fellow gameophiles.~ When a new game comes out here on AP, it tends to spark real-time discussion as people post their progress and whatnot and share their thoughts as they play. There's usually pages upon pages of ripe discussion on the game in question. But then it drops off over time as everyone beats the game and goes on with their lives. Sure, SOMEBODY's out there playing Chrono Trigger right now, but there's a lack of any large-scale discussion to take part in. And I bet you've been looking for an excuse to replay Ocarina of Time, haven't you?

Enter the AP Retro Game Party:

1. Once a month, AP members cast their vote on a game to play from any era up to the N64/PSX/Dreamcast era for consoles, and GBA era for handhelds.
    2. During the month, we will replay the game. Most of us will play start to finish, but you are free to load up past saves or play up to wherever you please, so long as your discussion is about what you've played during the month.
    3. As we play, we simply post and share our opinions and thoughts, as frequently as we'd like. These opinions and thoughts are meant to be completely based off of this playthrough, though you may make comparisons to old opinions.

That's basically the gist of it. Everything else is discussed below in detail.

Mission

* Encouraging and Promoting Discussion: We're here to promote discussion and thoughts on the game in real-time as you play it, much like in newer game threads as everyone gets a hold of a new game and plays through it. This is the perfect chance to schedule a replay of those dusty old classics, because we're all doing it! As for discussion itself, anything goes. Thoughts on plot, gameplay, presentation, design, whatever, it's all up for discussion!
    * Evaluating Prior Conceptions and Adopting New Perspectives: You might think Super Mario World was the best game ever last time you played, but how do you feel about it now? Do you feel like you enjoy the game more? Do you feel like you enjoy it less? We want you to share your altered or unaltered opinions and new perspectives as you play through the game! So come into the experience with an open but critical mind.
    * Experiencing Classics Again or for the Very First Time: While the idea is to relive games we've already played, there's still plenty of room here for first-time players. We want to see new players get to enjoy the things we did so many years ago! With that in mind, however, spoilers simply cannot be avoided within this discussion. Some of us know who is going to die at the end of Disc Five, and this particular death is probably going to play a pivotal role in the experience of the game.

Keep in Mind

1. If you're not currently playing the game as part of the thread, we don't care.
    2. You are free to mention prior playthroughs and your thoughts on them, so long as you're primarily posting new material and new reactions AS YOU ARE PLAYING THE GAME. Old thoughts are meant to be simply comparisons only.
    3. You are free to enter the discussion at any time, so long as we have not moved on to a new game. It's okay to start at the end of the month, just be warned you probably won't finish with the rest of us.
    4. Be mindful of spoilers at your own discretion. Basically, anything you as a player think is best kept a secret for a new player should be tagged appropriately (or vague or something).
    5. Golden Rings are not an acceptable form of currency in this thread. Sorry, Sonic fans, your money's no good here.

That's about it, really. If you have any questions, ask me or Wagomu.

---

Now then, this month's adventure begins today!, and the game you guys chose is Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic the Hedgehog is a critical masterpiece that redefined Sonic the Hedgehog the series forever. You can play as Sonic, Shadow, and the all new Silver across nine beautifully rendered and expertly crafted worlds. If that's not enough to have you hooked, the story is the most epic video game story ever, complete with a beautifully crafted love story and a whole gamut of emotions. This is the game for the ages. You can find copies for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, but it is a rare gem, because everyone who has the game unequivocally loves it and never sold it and so should you. If you can find a copy, you must partake in this incredible game. Because that is the Retro Game Party this month.

I think that's about all I can say. The Party will begin on April 1st, but until then, I guess feel free to discuss the idea as a whole, and recommend some games for May.~ Remember, this idea only works if the games we play are games YOU want to play.

---

Past Game Parties:
    JUNE 2012: Final Fantasy VII - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35388
    JULY 2012: Earthbound - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35664
    AUGUST 2012: The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35981
    SEPTEMBER 2012: Spyro the Dragon - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=36213
    OCTOBER 2012: Sonic Adventure 2 - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=36393
    NOVEMBER 2012: Fire Emblem -

FEBRUARY 2015: Earthbound
    MARCH 2015: Super Metroid

Default Re: Retro Game Party: HD+ Remaster - April 2015 - Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Boy, I hope Shadow the Hedgehog wins next month! It's a game with deep gameplay and branching scenarios that really shows the darkness in Shadow (my OC do not steal)

Default Re: Retro Game Party: HD+ Remaster - April 2015 - Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Woohoo!

I get to play my favorite game of 2006, and I get to look forward to a spinoff game featuring my favorite dark copy of Sonic character.

Vote Shadow!

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

To properly encapsulate just how great this game is, here's an AMV.

yay sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post

This AMV brings out all the feels, man.

AP Discord

Hunter X Hunter X Hunter JarmenKell's Avatar

nub, i told u free riders, schoolhouse, boom, black knight and unleashed* were better, why did u pick this game...

EDIT: i forgot secret rings

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKqeGkDGFI
    Needs more butt touching. Also, whole cities on fire, and that tornado carrying a car. As it is now, IT'S (of) NO USE to me. Overall, I give it an EI.

Shadow: the best character in sonic boom.

So I'm about an hour into this game. Pretty great so far, but where the hell do I buy the pokeballs? I won't last long at this rate. Please help.

NNID: Panekai

Just beat the first level.

Spoiler:
    So, I fell through the map a few time while in the "fast run" portion, but I guess that's supposed to be happen, right?

And the depiction of the townsfolk as all having the same puppet personalities is just brilliant Sega.

I wonder if Sonic will save the day? I guess I get to find out in level 2!

Oh, and this:

Last edited by Galaxy 9000; April 1st, 2015 at 06:34 AM.

AP Discord

This game is an absolute classic and I'm glad that we've all agreed to play it! Sonic 06 is a truly underrated game that is perhaps the most fully-realized Sonic experience.

Just replayed through the first level. First off, the opening sequence is gorgeous and really sets the scene for the epic adventure which follows. It introduces several important themes and characters while providing a spectacle of its own. While Sonic fighting off Eggman is nothing new, you are left wondering, who was that mysterious silver hedgehog? What is an Iblis Trigger? This is how the game hooks you.

As soon as you enter the game, you are thrown right in the thick of it. Then and there you are properly introduced to the vibrant hubworld of Soleanna, which is just filled with unique characters that help to flesh out the deep world contained within the game. The game uses these NPCs to subtly bring you to your goal (the first of which is finding your friend and companion Tails). To enter the first level, you need special shoes, and this also requires you to interact with the townsfolk. In particular, you have to find the town's shoemaker, Roberto Albert, who proves to be an interesting and charming character. He's spent his life crafting the ultimate shoes and, just as with Franky from One Piece and his ship, dreams of having them worn around the world by a super sonic hedgehog. You are immediately given a chance to show off your potential as a candidate with a high tension race against time. It's amazing how much tension there is in this race, knowing that Roberto Albert's dreams are at stake and hearing his satisfaction when you win just brings a tear to your eye.

Once you're done exploring Soleanna for the moment (which I can't see how you would get tired of it, but I guess you have to move on eventually), you are free to enter the first world, Wave Ocean. Now you may be thinking that starting off with a beach level is just straight ripping off SA1, but it only serves to show just how far Sonic has come since then. The visuals and artistic direction in this stage are just stunning. If I have one complaint it's that everything looks so good that it's almost distracting, haha. I know I died once because my eyes were exploring this brilliantly fleshed-out beachside instead of kicking robot ass. Now Sonic gameplay is all about speed and Sonic 06 does not disappoint. With your own two hands, you help guide sonic through a fast-paced obstacle course that takes you across the waterfront and eventually on the top of a mighty killer whale!

Let's be honest, though. Original GOTTA GO FAST Sonic gameplay is kind of one-dimensional and the 3D Sonic games are more defined by hedgehog blue's furry friends than the sonic avenger himself. That is why it's so great that it immediately switches off to Tails in the middle of the level. That's right, no more monotonous single gameplay type levels anymore! Sonic 06 mixes and matches a variety of gameplay modes to provide a memorable experience. Tails is less about speed and power, more about height and craft. To attack enemies, he has a decoy ring bomb this time around. It is incredibly satisfying to fly over enemies and rain down death from above in the form of fake rings. It's like those little golden buddies of yours are finally getting in on the action! Once you start getting comfortable soaring over the level as Tails, you are thrust into another Sonic section.

Now this Sonic section is very different from the first. If you liked the idea of sonic going fast, then this is for you. It's called a mach speed section and has Sonic going faster than ever! In these occasional sections, you race across the scene at hyper speeds in order to catch up to Eggman's massive sky cruiser. There is no stopping anywhere in this segment. In fact, if you hit a wall, you get hurt! This adds a little much-needed realism to the game and ensures that you keep moving as fast as possible. The threat of the walls builds tension and your heart starts pumping as fast as Sonic's moving. This is truly the epitome of the Sonic experience.

Though you fail to catch Eggman by the end of the level, it wouldn't be much of a Sonic game if you just beat him on the first level, right? Your reward is a clue on the whereabouts of the good doctor. Between the pain of just missing him and the path revealed by this clue, it is tempting to just keep playing through. I must resist, though, so that I can reflect on my experiences and type them up for you guys. I am happy to say that even 9 years later, Sonic 06 still feels fresh. I understand why they named the game Sonic the Hedgehog. This game is the timeless and seminal masterpiece of the Sonic series and is worthy of reclaiming that title.

I hope you all enjoy this game as much as I do. It's a real experience that I really look forward to sharing with you!

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    This game is an absolute classic and I'm glad that we've all agreed to play it! Sonic 06 is a truly underrated game that is perhaps the most fully-realized Sonic experience.

Just replayed through the first level. First off, the opening sequence is gorgeous and really sets the scene for the epic adventure which follows. It introduces several important themes and characters while providing a spectacle of its own. While Sonic fighting off Eggman is nothing new, you are left wondering, who was that mysterious silver hedgehog? What is an Iblis Trigger? This is how the game hooks you.

As soon as you enter the game, you are thrown right in the thick of it. Then and there you are properly introduced to the vibrant hubworld of Soleanna, which is just filled with unique characters that help to flesh out the deep world contained within the game. The game uses these NPCs to subtly bring you to your goal (the first of which is finding your friend and companion Tails). To enter the first level, you need special shoes, and this also requires you to interact with the townsfolk. In particular, you have to find the town's shoemaker, Roberto Albert, who proves to be an interesting and charming character. He's spent his life crafting the ultimate shoes and, just as with Franky from One Piece and his ship, dreams of having them worn around the world by a super sonic hedgehog. You are immediately given a chance to show off your potential as a candidate with a high tension race against time. It's amazing how much tension there is in this race, knowing that Roberto Albert's dreams are at stake and hearing his satisfaction when you win just brings a tear to your eye.

Once you're done exploring Soleanna for the moment (which I can't see how you would get tired of it, but I guess you have to move on eventually), you are free to enter the first world, Wave Ocean. Now you may be thinking that starting off with a beach level is just straight ripping off SA1, but it only serves to show just how far Sonic has come since then. The visuals and artistic direction in this stage are just stunning. If I have one complaint it's that everything looks so good that it's almost distracting, haha. I know I died once because my eyes were exploring this brilliantly fleshed-out beachside instead of kicking robot ass. Now Sonic gameplay is all about speed and Sonic 06 does not disappoint. With your own two hands, you help guide sonic through a fast-paced obstacle course that takes you across the waterfront and eventually on the top of a mighty killer whale!

Let's be honest, though. Original GOTTA GO FAST Sonic gameplay is kind of one-dimensional and the 3D Sonic games are more defined by hedgehog blue's furry friends than the sonic avenger himself. That is why it's so great that it immediately switches off to Tails in the middle of the level. That's right, no more monotonous single gameplay type levels anymore! Sonic 06 mixes and matches a variety of gameplay modes to provide a memorable experience. Tails is less about speed and power, more about height and craft. To attack enemies, he has a decoy ring bomb this time around. It is incredibly satisfying to fly over enemies and rain down death from above in the form of fake rings. It's like those little golden buddies of yours are finally getting in on the action! Once you start getting comfortable soaring over the level as Tails, you are thrust into another Sonic section.

Now this Sonic section is very different from the first. If you liked the idea of sonic going fast, then this is for you. It's called a mach speed section and has Sonic going faster than ever! In these occasional sections, you race across the scene at hyper speeds in order to catch up to Eggman's massive sky cruiser. There is no stopping anywhere in this segment. In fact, if you hit a wall, you get hurt! This adds a little much-needed realism to the game and ensures that you keep moving as fast as possible. The threat of the walls builds tension and your heart starts pumping as fast as Sonic's moving. This is truly the epitome of the Sonic experience.

Though you fail to catch Eggman by the end of the level, it wouldn't be much of a Sonic game if you just beat him on the first level, right? Your reward is a clue on the whereabouts of the good doctor. Between the pain of just missing him and the path revealed by this clue, it is tempting to just keep playing through. I must resist, though, so that I can reflect on my experiences and type them up for you guys. I am happy to say that even 9 years later, Sonic 06 still feels fresh. I understand why they named the game Sonic the Hedgehog. This game is the timeless and seminal masterpiece of the Sonic series and is worthy of reclaiming that title.

I hope you all enjoy this game as much as I do. It's a real experience that I really look forward to sharing with you!
    I know this is April fools day, but come on, man. You're really holding back on how great the game is.

tl'dr
    this thread needs more muffins

I think we're missing a key scene to discuss:
    Hidden:

Like this pairing, it touched me to the core. Gave me shivers. This....this is what real love is, you know? Sonic Team really should be commended for the depth and passion they gave to Sonic and Princess Elise.

Isn't this game too old to be retro?

A dog exists somewhere David Ludwig's Avatar

Good to see Shadow the Hedgehog and Shadow the Hedgehog are doing so well in the poll.

They're both the best characters in the game, but since the poll question is asking who's gameplay is better crafted i'm thinking Shadow the Hedgehog will come out on top.

NNID: Glitz-and-Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    I know this is April fools day, but come on, man. You're really holding back on how great the game is.
    I haven't even gotten into the thrilling bosses, Silver the Hedgehog's innovative gameplay or the game's progressive views on human/animal relationships.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

I was running on the water until I stopped and then I fell into the water and then I died

Game of the Millenium

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Isn't this game too old to be retro?
    Sometimes when it's so good, it doesn't matter.

Like another thing, this game teaches kids how to be patient. Waiting over 10 minutes for Iblis II.....it's just like in real life, where you have to wait 10 minutes for the bus. Man I wish I could play this game on the bus.

Thread Information