+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Ducktales- new series! Woohoo!

Default Re: Ducktales- new series! Woohoo!

I just got a to watch the series premiere of the new Ducktales. I have to say it's really great. So far I think David Tennant is doing an great job as Scrooge. Huey, Dewey and Louie were great as well. Launchpad and Mrs. Beakley had some great moments in the first episode that made me laugh. Flintheart was a great choice for the first villain to be introduce in the new series and he also had some moments that made me laugh.

First off, it looks like they got rid of Duckworth, possibly my favorite character in the original series. I think he's gone for plot reasons (the first episode shows McDuck Manor as a run-down dump) or he'll be hired in the future now that hes back in the groove and has a public to impress again. In this show it seems like Launchpad is his go-to hired help for unknown reasons aside from Mrs Beakley being in charge of the manor.

Got used to the voices. Considering there are absolutely zero returning VAs from the show (that I know of) it takes time to adjust to the new voices. Since this is essentially two episodes stitched together, I noticed the voices settled in during the second one

The Gravity Falls influence is notable, but it fits. Scrooge as someone who's burned out on past adventuring and eventually retired for mysterious reasons, presumably because he became the richest duck (and being) in the world and rested on his laurels in a Howard Hughes style reclusiveness, but after meeting his nephews he gets the itch of treasure seeking again But is there more?. As such he starts out a bit closer to his first comics appearance as a reclusive cranky old duck

What we have not yet seen of Scrooge is his classic miserliness, obsessing over small change, framing his first dime, that sort of thing though I'm sure it will happen in the future.

I'm also glad Donald is actually in the show now instead of being mostly in the navy and having rare cameos. Now it seems like he'll actually be living with Scrooge. Glad to see since it annoyed me to see him sidelined in the show at a time where next to nothing was done with the character in animation otherwise.

Webby I am glad is given a better reword since even as a kid she grated on me with the whole sickeningly sweet low-rent Shirley Temple act. Aging her up to be closer to the nephews seems to be a better move, though I'm sincerely hoping there are no romantic subplots relating to the kids in the future.

Noticing right away they are adding more character diversity into the duck world. While ducks and dogs will be predominant, we've got vultures, wolves and different duck colors. So it would seem there would be more bird-person and dog-person variety in this show, with dog/wolf people actually having furrier faces and hair color other than black.

As for the first villain outing, they have Glomgold nailed. I've always seen his as essentially as an evil Scrooge, motivated solely by greed and ego. Basically Scrooge with no endearing traits or motives but still a delightfully selfish character.

I still have never seen the old show, so none of the references and stuff mean anything to me, but it sounds like there's a lot of fun fanservice. I enjoyed the episodes, though.

Starting with flaws, I think they lacked any real narrative tightness. The first two episodes are supposed to be one, but they were mostly pretty unconnected in terms of story or theme. Not only that, but I don't think either individually really served to drive home the messages they ended with. Like how the second episode deals with Donald being overprotective, but there's no real evidence of it? There's a lot of stuff I noticed didn't land because they dropped the ball on any setup.

I said I enjoyed it, though, and I mean it! The adventures are pretty fun and the gags are solid. Not a 10/10 favorite show yet, but it has a lot of potential. There's a lot of imagination on display and I'm looking forward to whatever kind of trouble the writing team can cook up on this show

I lost it at the whole gag with the ghost and the horse. If the show can deliver more gold like that, then it might be worthy of Scrooge's collection.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Starting with flaws, I think they lacked any real narrative tightness. The first two episodes are supposed to be one, but they were mostly pretty unconnected in terms of story or theme.
    Pretty sure they just stuck the first two episodes together (they played the theme song at the start of the second episode). In retrospect I know this won't be a problem in retrospect, but yeah, since was advertised as a one hour premier, I was hoping the two episodes would be more connected and have an overarching theme or something.

Considering how the original duck tales had 3 or something first episodes in the 1st season that were tied together narratively, I'm surprised they didn't try tying them closer together for this hour premier.

Regardless, it still did an excellent job at reintroducing the characters and making them fairly enjoyable. And as always...thank goodness for the Webby update. A shame Wagomu missed out on the joys and wonders of the original Webby.

I love the idea of Glomgold just pretending to be Scottish as a way of one-upping Scrooge.

There is very little connecting the first part to the second and it would seem to make the premiere an hour long came late in production, as the only connecting tissue is Donald being hired by Glomgold at the end of the first part and the opening is intact and later moving in with Scrooge at the end of the second.

It is a little disappointing that the series didn't start off with a full multi-ep arcing story, but it's only in hindsight as I didn't mind while watching. Then again, I didn't know it was suppose to be an hour long special, but just the two episodes back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I still have never seen the old show, so none of the references and stuff mean anything to me, but it sounds like there's a lot of fun fanservice. I enjoyed the episodes, though.

Starting with flaws, I think they lacked any real narrative tightness. The first two episodes are supposed to be one, but they were mostly pretty unconnected in terms of story or theme. Not only that, but I don't think either individually really served to drive home the messages they ended with. Like how the second episode deals with Donald being overprotective, but there's no real evidence of it? There's a lot of stuff I noticed didn't land because they dropped the ball on any setup.

I said I enjoyed it, though, and I mean it! The adventures are pretty fun and the gags are solid. Not a 10/10 favorite show yet, but it has a lot of potential. There's a lot of imagination on display and I'm looking forward to whatever kind of trouble the writing team can cook up on this show

I lost it at the whole gag with the ghost and the horse. If the show can deliver more gold like that, then it might be worthy of Scrooge's collection.
    You should really check out the Uncle Scrooge comics that the old show was based on.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    You should really check out the Uncle Scrooge comics that the old show was based on.
    Loosely based on.

But Wags, read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck if you haven't already. It's the single greatest piece of literature ever created.
    I'm making a comic!
    Skipper and Sunflower

Both the Carl Barks and Don Rosa Donald Duck and Scrooge comics are currently being republished by Fantagraphics.

Feels weird seeing something like Ducktales having some sort of Lore regarding Delia Duck and making some sort of character/story arc. And I don't know how to feel about Dewey being the one getting close to become more like Scrooge. It just...I don't know, weird seeing each of the triplets being their own character.

Anyway, funny that Scrooge's executives are vultures.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I love the idea of Glomgold just pretending to be Scottish as a way of one-upping Scrooge.
    Well, in the comics, Glomgold is actually South African, so maybe in a later episode we'll get some cool backstory regarding how young GG saw Scrooge's exploits and thought he could do better, Scottishness included?

Here are the episodes titles for the next 3 episodes of Ducktales when the series starts in September.

Spoiler:

"Daytrip of Doom!"
    "The Great Dime Chase!"
    "The Beagle Birthday Massacre!"

Disney XD has put the entire thing up on Youtube.

Complicating things since 2009.

Another person who never watched the original series here, though now, I'm really thinking that was a massive oversight on my part... I'm a big sucker for purehearted ADVENTURE kinda stuff, so this fits the bill for me, so to speak.

Starting off, I really liked the characters, and how they all fit together. Though I'm new to the series, I can tell how much the characters have been updated for the reboot, but with the sense of humor that they're going for, I think it works pretty well. Tennant is a great Scrooge, and I liked how, even if the three brothers weren't color-coordinated, I would still be able to tell them apart just from their expressions and body language, though Louie did admittedly outshine his costars just a smidge at places. Launchpad was just really endearing, and while Webby didn't really stand out for me in these first two episodes (I refuse to call them one episode) she has a lot of potential. I think it says a lot, though, that despite having the most history as a character behind him, they didn't need to adjust much about Donald Duck at all for him to fit right in. He was great in pretty much all his scenes. That said, in updating all these characters, it's pretty clear that, at some point, the directors forgot that Huey, Dewey, and Louie are supposed to be, y'know, children. Their actions and acting made them out to be like tiny snarky adults, though with the aim towards aging 90's kids as the demographic, that does make sense. Still, the cast overall is really strong, which is vital for a show like this.

As far as the humor goes, yeah, it's pretty clear that they took a lot of cues from Gravity Falls, and honestly, I think that while it did lead to a lot of funny moments, it also hurt it at places. The thing about Gravity Falls is, it was able just mature enough to be able to dig at the implications of its subject matter and make some fairly dark jokes, while also staying family friendly. DuckTales, however, has to be more innocent, so with the influence being so clear, it just makes it more apparent that we're given a watered down version of that style. I get that this kind of feel is just the style now for Western Animation (a fact that has run the spectrum of good, bad, and ugly) but I'm still not convinced that this show needed it. That said, some of its scenarios, like the setup with the gong dragon, were really clever and funny, and it's clear to me that stuff like that is where the show will really find its strengths.

The biggest failing of DuckTales, however, is that it doesn't do much for me as an adventure story. Here was where it most heavily leaned on nostalgia, and hurt its chances of standing up as its own piece of Duck Lore, if that's a, uh, thing. There was a whole lot of stuff happening in these two episodes, and without a single plot to follow, it was hard to get invested in any one piece of it. A huge part of any good adventure, not just the getting there, but the expectation, the mysteries of it all, which DuckTales skipped past the most. If it had done as others had said, and just been a single hour-long adventure with a consistent Point A to Point B progression, then they could have done a lot more, but as it was, ideas and scenes just came and went, without anything really building up to them or telling us why we should care. Scrooge has some Scottish rival! ...apparently. He has issues with acknowledging Dewey! ...until he doesn't. All the while, we barely know who these people are, unless we're already familiar with the source material, which we're expected to be. This was most blatant with the way they implemented Scrooge's classic "tougher than the toughies, smarter than the smarties" line. It's the one line that defines his entire character, and it's played off in the middle of a joke. And that lack of heart pervaded with me the whole time, not enough to make me hate it, but enough for me to not feel like I'm part of the adventure. In both these episodes, I never once really felt a "wow" moment about anything that they were seeing or doing, even when they went to freaking Atlantis. Even if I concede there will always be limitations, the lack of any genuine wonder from this world left me with a feeling of incompleteness at the end of it, even though I did enjoy the show.

Certainly, most of my issues with DuckTales could be solved with a few character-focused episodes, which it will surely have, but a lot of what I was missing still should have been there from the beginning. All that aside though, my overall impression of these episodes was largely positive, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go next with this. Definitely made me interesting in exploring more of this universe. Woo-oo!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information