View Poll Results: What should the theme be for December?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anything Goes Movie Month

    0 0%
  • Mystery Science Theater Movie Month

    2 33.33%
  • Kurt Russell Movie Month

    2 33.33%
  • TV Christmas Special Month

    4 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Closed Thread
Page 48 of 106 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 2119

Thread: Arlong Park Movie Nights

  1. #941

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Disagreeable opinions on the internet expressed through sarcasm! How absurd. It happens for everyone and it's part of the community. Everyone does jabs and everyone does quips. As Robby has said in the past, it happens all the time. It's not a matter of growing up more than it is just a regular part of the community that doesn't harm it.

    That said, The point of the matter is that even if you've found it a success for yourself personally, on the whole, people don't enjoy watching quality movies in large groups for exactly the reasons that Wagomu and Cyan mentioned. You can decry it as you being the only one who cares about quality movies even when there's people who go on and on as to whether or not Man of Steel was a good film, but in the end, there *is* an appeal to watching fun movies together.

    like Muppet Treasure Island.

  2. #942

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    Do you really need to make fun or sarcastic remarks of my opinion just because it isn't yours? That counts for everyone. Grow up, guys.
    Do you really have to write off an entire genre as being terrible just because it doesn't fit your idea of what films should be?
    Complicating things since 2009.

  3. #943
    Sing Me Back Home Cyan D. Funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huxley U.

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    I want a ten-page paper on the symbolism of the giant octopus from King Kong vs. Godzilla on my desk by friday, late papers will receive a letter grade removed and all citations must be Chigcago-style because amateur hour is over people.

  4. #944
    Discovered Stowaway Atuin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I want a ten-page paper on the symbolism of the giant octopus from King Kong vs. Godzilla on my desk by friday, late papers will receive a letter grade removed and all citations must be Chigcago-style because amateur hour is over people.
    You misspelled Chicago :O

  5. #945
    Heart'n'Skull Nami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Idiots on the internet thinking they're the coolest kidz alive because they use sarcasm whenever they can? *yawns*

    Just for the record: I didnt say watching stupid movies together isn't fun. I didn't disagree that bonding over stupid movies isn't nice.

    I would just like a more balanced out.. Balance. Have a good movie, have a bad one, have a good movie, have a bad. And not bad, bad, good, bad, bad, bad, bad, good. This is MY personal opinion. I posted it knowing not everyone agrees to it. If the majority of people would agree, we wouldn't have so many shitty movies (and themes *cough*) win in the first place. Besides that I should still be allowed to say once in a while what I think without getting backlash from 10people at once and getting my opinion degraded. Maybe that's the reason not a lot of people will come and say "hey, I agree with her." because come on, who wants to get shit for their opinion all the time?

    I know some people who said more than once they wouldn't participate in on a movie night, cuz they found the movie to be shit. Hell a lot of people who vote here aren't participating and if so, very rarely.


    Well, gonna leave the "cool clique" behind now, have fun. I go back to lurking

    "Unicorns can't see into your heart. All our dumb horns can do is glow, point towards the nearest rainbow and play rave music!"

    Visit my Etsy Shop: Heart'n'Skull or Tumblr

  6. #946

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    We *all* get snarky responses back and forth. I've gotten some, Cyan's gotten some. It's literally how we go in literally every thread. The volume just depends on how people go. This really isn't an issue directed towards you alone. It's just regular banter we all share rather than just being some "cool clique". Hell I get a good chunk of it whenever I go onto the IRC chat, but it's all just taken in stride.

    And balance is all just dependent on which movies happen to actually win rather than the genre themselves. Giant Monster Movies can be pretty great. Hong Kong movies that won last month were pretty great. What's a *bad* movie versus a *good* movie is on an incredibly subjective scale when, for example , people might not want 90s movie month because they think movies from there are trash or they don't want to watch Spice World. Or in the Disney month the nominations being more obscure selections because people really don't want to see Disney princess movies. It really is more just a subjective issue when, for example, both Video Game movie month and Giant Monster movie month were already discussed here and had some good potential nominations. You cannot please everyone's tastes, but that does not mean that the movie night cannot be enjoyable just because it falls outside of the norm of what you believe is "good".

  7. #947
    Heart'n'Skull Nami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    We *all* get snarky responses back and forth. I've gotten some, Cyan's gotten some. It's literally how we go in literally every thread. The volume just depends on how people go. This really isn't an issue directed towards you alone. It's just regular banter we all share rather than just being some "cool clique". Hell I get a good chunk of it whenever I go onto the IRC chat, but it's all just taken in stride.
    I'm not saying I'm the only one. I'm saying it's childish.

    "Unicorns can't see into your heart. All our dumb horns can do is glow, point towards the nearest rainbow and play rave music!"

    Visit my Etsy Shop: Heart'n'Skull or Tumblr

  8. #948

  9. #949
    Heart'n'Skull Nami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Spice World is a shit movie, too.

    "Unicorns can't see into your heart. All our dumb horns can do is glow, point towards the nearest rainbow and play rave music!"

    Visit my Etsy Shop: Heart'n'Skull or Tumblr

  10. #950

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    But good movies aren't about shits and giggles. Quality movies are movies that don't need any commentary or input in the middle. When you talk during a good movie, people tell you to shut up. You just want to let the movie sink in, to live inside of its story. They demand attention and you give it to them. Good movies are not fun to watch in groups, since you get about the same experience in watching it by yourself. Sometimes they can use discussion afterwards, but there's no real reason to watch them with anyone.
    So are you saying none of the movies we've watched here are good?

  11. #951

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    So are you saying none of the movies we've watched here are good?
    Not enough goats

  12. #952

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    I personally think the giant monster theme is boring/overdone. But it looks like it's going to win. My only consolation is the ability to nominate a Gamera film.

  13. #953

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Hmm, I just had an idea.

    What if, for one month, we have a poll where we vote for the people we want to select the movies for each week. We nominate the people as we would a theme month, and then the 4 or 5 people with the most votes each get to select a movie for one week. Or, if we wanna go really nuts, one person could select movies for the entire month (c'mon, I'm sure you all wanna see Wagomu month).

    Thoughts?

  14. #954
    Heart'n'Skull Nami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    In general not a bad idea but sounds too much like asslicking

    "Unicorns can't see into your heart. All our dumb horns can do is glow, point towards the nearest rainbow and play rave music!"

    Visit my Etsy Shop: Heart'n'Skull or Tumblr

  15. #955

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Only if you pick me and we all watch Zenon.

  16. #956

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Or, if we wanna go really nuts, one person could select movies for the entire month (c'mon, I'm sure you all wanna see Wagomu month).

    Thoughts?
    I like the idea myself though it'd probably be better if that one person gets to pick but everybody else gets to choose what genres they're picking from for that week.

    Like, say, Purple Hermit wins overall but has to pick a science-fiction movie one week and a musical the next.

    That's mainly to avoid a situation like Robby winning and picking Bio-Broly/Bojack Unbound for all four weekends.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  17. #957
    Discovered Stowaway Mickamott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United States, Virginia

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    I would just like a more balanced out.. Balance. Have a good movie, have a bad one, have a good movie,
    Nami agrees with me! For this kind of quality whiplash there is but one place to go!!! Nicholas Caaaageeee land!!! He's the only actor with a wide array of movies both the worst and best of all time!

    I say Nic, you say Cage!
    Nic!
    Nic!
    Nic!

    (And there was much rejoicing - "yaaaaay")

  18. #958

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Letting one person decide the movies for an entire month sounds a bit absurd to me.
    The whole idea of the group should be to be welcoming, and what's going to wind up happening is that it's just a few regulars choosing movies for the next few months without other people getting their voice in. We're not all going to agree on what good taste means. Additionally, some people, like in my case, can have stuff come up on some Saturdays but not others. So then would a movie be picked and then the person isn't even showing up? Doesn't sound cool to me at all.

    Personally, I think the whole point of posting in the thread what movies you think are worthy and then the people can decide. I'm sure none of us knew about Riki-Oh beforehand, and eventually it finally got to be enjoyed.

    Also, I want to mention that the deal here is about watching movies and discussing them as a group. There's no caveats on whether it has to be good or bad quality, you just nominate and people vote and decide. Arguing about it to sway votes sounds reasonable, but going to the point of overhauling the system mid-vote just comes off as you not liking it because it's not your result that's winning.
    If your concern is really the legitimacy of the system, then this is a discussion that should have come up before votes began. At least to me that sounds like the more authentic complaint. But it wasn't brought up before votes, so time to suck it up if monsters win and you don't like it just like I'm sure Ubiq had suck up other people's choices winning twice now.

    Lastly, forgive my context, but when you express disdain about what other people like claiming bad quality and all you can respond with is "it's my opinion", I think you lose say over how other people get to respond to that, given that's just dismissing someone else's inquiry into arguments with a redundant non-answer.
    Last edited by Noqanky; May 20th, 2015 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Spuds!

  19. #959

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    But it wasn't brought up before votes, so time to suck it up if monsters win and you don't like it just like I'm sure Ubiq had suck up other people's choices winning twice now.
    The only objection I've had so far was with you fools wasting Muppet Treasure Island in a Disney month instead of reserving it as the glorious crown jewel of a Muppet or Tim Curry Movie Month like it deserves.

    Joking aside, I wouldn't be bothered if any of these win since I love a wide range of films and could come up with nominations for any of them. I keep tossing Giant Monster Movie Month out there because those films are always fun to watch as part of a group and there are quite a few of them that people might not have seen.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  20. #960
    Sing Me Back Home Cyan D. Funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huxley U.

    Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

    A Western movie month would be interesting - we'd have to end it on Blazing Saddles of course and watch the Magnificent Seven at some point, but we could slip some interesting/ridiculous stuff into it. Like The Conqueror.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts