View Poll Results: What should the theme be for December?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anything Goes Movie Month

0 0%
  • Mystery Science Theater Movie Month

2 33.33%
  • Kurt Russell Movie Month

2 33.33%
  • TV Christmas Special Month

4 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Closed Thread
Page 27 of 106 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast

Thread: Arlong Park Movie Nights

Default Re: Arlong Park Movie Nights

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    We were discussing doing it as a one season's worth of content per show deal. That way, we can get in more series and they could be used to get people intrigued by ongoing series without being redundant to the threads which discuss the current happenings.
    I guess my fear is that it will lead tothe shows that are already super discussed everywhere becoming the main thing we watch instead of actually watching shows that you would otherwise not have a chance to discuss with AP peeps. Like it was pretty cool back in the day when people saw Arrested Development as a group because that was a show that just did not lend itself to being discussed or enjoyed as a group in its initial showing.

But if like, say, I wanted to try My Little Pony, I would just go to the thread of my own when curious and ask what episodes to check out.

Have there been chances to discuss shows like x-files here btw? I think that's another good possibility.

If you want to try TV shows, by all means, go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Me, personally, I'll tune in when and if I feel like it, and, honestly, I probably won't unless it's something I'm REALLY interested in. So that's where I stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've never understood the love for Kung Pow.
    Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, though not a critical or commercial success has garnered a cult following through its lampooning of English-dubbed Chinese action films and its absurdist humor. The film achieves this through ridiculous exaggeration of the tropes of the genre and the production problems that plagued the adaptations, playing characters against their traditional archetypes, occasional anachronisms, and visual humor. Some might compare this to the concept of "riffing", made famous by Mystery Science Theater 3000, in that mocks the faults and oddities of films with low grade production values. Though certainly not a timeless classic, and definitely not for everyone, the film has a certain lowbrow humor that those who have a taste for it will enjoy.

But if that's not your thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Some might compare this to the concept of "riffing", made famous by Mystery Science Theater 3000, in that mocks the faults and oddities of films with low grade production values.
    It's a different animal entirely from riffing which is simply commenting on the onscreen action without otherwise altering the film (though MST3K actually did do that during the first season but quit because the writers thought it detracted from the humor); Kung Pow is a gag dub along the lines of What's Up, Tiger Lily? but with the alterations take much farther.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Lots of good choices this week. For those unfamiliar with it, Zoolander is also a solid choice. It a movie with some of Ben Stiller's, Owen Wilson's, and Will Ferrell's best performances.

Go Zoolander!
    Last edited by mpz777; February 25th, 2015 at 09:33 AM.
    Current Trophy Rank: Lv 14-37%
    Gambit

Nintendo ID: MPZ777
    Feel free to friend request me. Just let me know your from AP Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mpz777 View Post
    It a movie with some of Ben Stiller's, Qwen Wilson's, and Will Ferrell's best performances.
    I dislike all three of those people . Especially Will Ferrell.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Will Ferrell's best performances are Anchorman and LEGO Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I dislike all three of those people . Especially Will Ferrell.
    Then this movie is definitely not for you, especially since the main focus is on all three of their characters. No worries though, I get where you're coming from. A few of their other movies have been underwhelming for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Took me a minute to realize who Qwen Wilson was.
    Fixed. I totally missed that I did that. That's what happens when you type late at night, I guess.
    Current Trophy Rank: Lv 14-37%
    Gambit

Nintendo ID: MPZ777
    Feel free to friend request me. Just let me know your from AP Forums.

Since Leonard Nimoy just passed away today, I think we should watch Wrath of Khan one of these weekends. Anyone else up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Girl_Krillin View Post
    Since Leonard Nimoy just passed away today, I think we should watch Wrath of Khan one of these weekends. Anyone else up for it?
    Unfortunately, that kinda messes up the whole Non-Disney 2D month, but maybe after that?

We should definitely watch Wrath of Kahn in a coming week. Maybe first month of April after Animated movie month?

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Why not just do a TOS Movie Month later on?

Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country would be a good month of movies.
    Last edited by Ubiq; February 27th, 2015 at 12:02 PM.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Why not just do a TOS Movie Month later on?

Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country would be a good month of movies.
    I love that Idea. We would have a blast riffing Star Trek V.

That would be neat if the production company hadn't somehow managed to skip the roman numeral V when they were originally making the films. Somehow they just went from IV to VI. It's weird, but we should just accept the five original Trek movies with their weird numbering.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Four weeks of nothing but Star Trek would be too much for me. A Sci-fi themed month could be something, maybe auto-including a Nimoy movie, but there should be some variety.

We could watch Leonard Nimoy's true magnum opus: Transformers The Movie.

I just wanna state that if there is a draw, you can discard my vote to Kung Pow.

Just make it a Leonard Nimoy week.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I just wanna state that if there is a draw, you can discard my vote to Kung Pow.
    Galaxy is casting the tie breaking vote from now on

Who even remembers Nimoy for his movies? His success and fame didn't come from his roles in movies, but from his celebrated career as a famous singer/songwriter.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Yeah, I'll take care of the tie.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

Closed Thread

Thread Information