+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

Default Re: The Travelling Thread/ The Home Town Thread

Quote Originally Posted by minus. View Post
    I have a question for the Americans here. If things go as planned I'm going to spend thanksgiving with an American family this year. I have no idea how this works except for useless pocultural cues I absorbed from TV shows. What do I have to consider? Do I offer to help prepare the table/wash the dishes afterwards? Should I bring a present? Is there some official "time table" (if you celebrated Christmas in Europe you probably know what I'm talking about)? I know the basics, which is to completely stfu about politics and religion. But I wanna try my best to be a good guest as this invitation means a lot to me.
    If thanksgiving in the states is anything like it is here with my fam, then it means a lot of work in the kitchen and never enough hands to help. So I think help offered is definitely polite, even if it’s setting the table/clearing dishes/etc. Usually people will be scandalized if you don’t know them well and you start washing their dishes cuz they don’t want a guest they’re meeting for the first time to do that lol, but I tend to offer anyway because I know what that work’s like.

If you want you can also bring something small or ask if there’s anything they need that’s missing from the menu, too. My family’s thanksgivings tend to be a shared responsibility potluck sorta thing, so if someone brings that missing *THING* then it’s helpful.

Every family does thanksgiving differently though, but it’s definitely always food-focused :D have a great time!
    Hidden:

Thanks Monkey King and Femme for your advice! Guess it's a lot more chill for guests, but I'll make sure to offer help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Some people watch a lot of Football I guess, and also the Macy's Day parade in the morning is on TV.

Of course I dunno if there are strange regional varieties, but I don't think so?
    First time hearing of that parade! Will do some research :) Thanks MK (and def gonna brush up on my football knowledge to have one solid ice breaker under my belt haha)
    Things I think are cool!

Is this meme --anyhow-- true??

Spoiler:

I mean, people say that you have to keep a certain distance while talking to people that depends on which country you're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Is this meme --anyhow-- true??

I mean, people say that you have to keep a certain distance while talking to people that depends on which country you're in.
    The first one in this one is more accurate for non-Finland Nords.

Hidden:

Why though ? Is there a scientific explanation ? Like anthropology or something

Also, I don't get the one about Italians.

Why though ? Is there a scientific explanation ? Like anthropology or something
    Probably something to do with Luther or the weather conditions. For whatever reason personal space and not making other robot people feel uncomfortable by invading it and making overt displays of affection betwenn strangers is a pillar of Scandinavian living. I'm sure it'll freak you out just the teeniest bit once you get situated in Norway. That weird disconnect betwenn perfectly pleasant and friendly conversation and that invisible wall of not getting too familiar.

They're an affectionate people.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Italians like to make a big commotion whenever they meet another italian/friend, they get very loud, there's a lot of unneccessary hugging and strong emotions, and they generally feel passionate about everything they talk about, moving their arms and body to express their feelings alongside their thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Going to visit Panama with some family friends! :D

I'm thinking about putting a list of countries and cities members are from in the first post so if anyone would ever go to those places or nearby they could either quote or PM the member to obtain some tips.

Is there any foum rules against this? I don't want to put that if people don't want to, but I assume that the people that talk about it freely or have their country/city on their "location" wouldn't mind it.

I noticed that the old travel thread is way out dated here so I plan to create a new one. This 2018, I plan to visit Europe and Spain. For my summer holiday, I'm looking at Tenerife or Lanzarote.I came across this one article about the place here in https://www.canaryislandsinfo.co.uk/.../doramas-park/ I've never been to either and apparently, the beaches are fantastic as well as being suitably 'different' to make it interesting. How about you guys? Any plans?

Europe AND Spain??

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Italians like to make a big commotion whenever they meet another italian/friend, they get very loud, there's a lot of unneccessary hugging and strong emotions, and they generally feel passionate about everything they talk about, moving their arms and body to express their feelings alongside their thoughts.
    Carries over a bit to Italian-Americans. General white America is mostly North Europe flavored, so on the more reserved side compared to South Europe (though less reserved than purestrain North Europe). And Italian-Americans can be a lot louder and more all of that than other generic white Americans.
    Latin Americans are the same way, for essentially the same reasons.

The gesture thing is pretty uniquely Italian though, even Greeks make jokes about it lol.
    And yeah Italian-Americans still do it, even as detached as I am from the full on thing I still have that tendency sometimes. And other folks? Damn.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Carries over a bit to Italian-Americans. General white America is mostly North Europe flavored, so on the more reserved side compared to South Europe (though less reserved than purestrain North Europe). And Italian-Americans can be a lot louder and more all of that than other generic white Americans.
    Latin Americans are the same way, for essentially the same reasons.

The gesture thing is pretty uniquely Italian though, even Greeks make jokes about it lol.
    And yeah Italian-Americans still do it, even as detached as I am from the full on thing I still have that tendency sometimes. And other folks? Damn.
    Yeah, whenever I meet italo-americans I always find they're like... about 50% as energetic as a home-grown italian, but generally having the same traits and attitudes we have. It's quite relatable, really, though I always cringe when they mention non-italian dishes like "spaghetti alfredo" or "pepperoni pizza" as if they're a big thing in italy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Welp i'm currently in Paris dicking around with the GF. And i'm wondering if any of ya'll have any suggestions on where to go and what to eat and what not.

Honestly, I don't even like Paris. I despise most of its architecture (except the haussmannian things and whatnot at some extent), its few gardens and its streets. The Tuileries garden isn't as bad as Central Park, but it's still a huge mess. I guess I'll have to move to a tinier city when I'll grow old. And ffs there are lots of fucking cafés every fucking where. We don't need that much coffee !!! No one does! We probably have more cafés than New-York has fast-foods...
    The bridges as a whole are fine. Some are hideously big though

Anyway, there is an elevated park in Paris. Apparently, it's one of the first ones that have ever been made. I don't really have an opinion about it because I haven't been there for years.
    Here's a picture. And here's the wiki page. You can go there from "Gare de Lyon", and obviously you don't have to walk through the whole thing, it's 4km long after all...
    And île de la Cité sucks, BUT the Saint-Louis bridge rocks. You can barely see and hear any cars around there, wow. I like this place. It's not much, but it's all we've got. Especially at sunset when there is someone playing music on the bridge
    If you go to Saint-Michel/Latin Quarter, you'll see some nice streets. BUT there are restaurants and cafés all over the fucking place.
    There are sweet covered passages in Paris. But there usually are lots of dumb stores every where. Liberalism fucks us all I guess
    Rue Champollion is a classic for cinema-goers. There are 3 famous cinemas for cinephiles and such there. Currently, the only interesting movies there are two of Jacques Tati's movies. I should watch them once more I guess. And if you go to the end of this little street, you'll see my college on your left :o and also a great bookstore
    The banks of the Seine aren't that bad. It's starting to look like Californian beaches though... But, it's one of the few places where you don't see and barely hear any car. I like to sit at one of these bars there with the lads, just beside/below the Pont au Change.

And don't forget to check out the Catacombs. It's rare, very rare, in Europe and in the world.

There are other nice places. But I usually randomly stumble on them when I walk at night. Basically, I don't really "know" where they are

As for restaurants, I have no idea, I'm way too poor to eat there.

Also, places I'll blow the fuck up one day
    -Châtelet les Halles
    -République
    -The neighborhood around the National Library, the National Library itself and the Simone-de-Beauvoir bridge
    -Centre Pompidou
    -The Champs-Élysées
    -The Bastille Opéra, the Place de la Bastille and the subway exit next to the Opéra that smells like shit, pee and rat.
    and well, lots of other places.
    Last edited by Nilitch; July 20th, 2018 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Welp i'm currently in Paris dicking around with the GF. And i'm wondering if any of ya'll have any suggestions on where to go and what to eat and what not.
    The Dernier bar avant le fin du monde is a fun place (not particularly for the food, which is okay, although the mocktails were veeery good), if geeky themed cafe is your kind of thing. Montmartre is quite a nice area to wander around in general. I also remember with fondness a particularly nice hole-in-the-wall (literally) creperie there where the guy likes to draw things on your crepe with the filling (maybe with higher probability if you're female). Crepes are great in general and are everywhere. It's nice to go up the Montparnasse tower for a view of Paris which includes the Eiffel tower (and the wind up there is nice in the heat). Someone wants recommended me something to do with a bar and lemonade + fruit syrup, but I've clearly forgotten what exactly. And I guess you're too old for your free entry into almost everything.

That's about all I gleaned from the couple of days I've been in Paris...

Also, places I'll blow the fuck up one day
    -Châtelet les Halles
    -République
    -The neighborhood around the National Library, the National Library itself and the Simone-de-Beauvoir bridge
    -Centre Pompidou
    -The Champs-Élysées
    -The Bastille Opéra, the Place de la Bastille and the subway exit next to the Opéra that smells like shit, pee and rat.
    and well, lots of other places.

[...] you'll see my college on your left :o and also a great bookstore
    Careful now, you don't want to end up on a list.
    What college do you go to?

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Bit late to the party I suppose, but I would also love to go to Japan like many others here. One of my biggest goals in life, in fact.

When I was 13, I went to six different European countries--Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, and England. Someday I'd like to return to and revisit some of them, like at least Belgium (since I now know a couple of friends who live there), and go to some that I haven't yet (such as Italy, Spain, and Portugal, for starters, and Greece would be cool too).

Would also like to visit Mexico now that I'm so close in proximity to it, though probably not on my own. I went to Chile last fall for work, and going again sometime to see more observatories would be awesome.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    As far as hometowns go: my Michigan hometown has the distinction of having the only IKEA in the whole state, so that's pretty cool I guess. XD My college town where I lived before coming here is home to the largest American-football stadium in the country.

My current New Mexico hometown is home to well-known radio telescope array, which has appeared multiple times in movies and other media.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    Careful now, you don't want to end up on a list.
    What college do you go to?
    I will attend Sorbonne 1 after my erasmus semester

I will attend Sorbonne 1 after my erasmus semester
    Nice! Study well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information