+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Music in 2015

Default Re: Music in 2015

People will complain about anything. In any case the Grammys are more or less pointless in the long run but it's still cool seeing artists you like win stuff. It's basically a popularity contest and there's music every year that isn't nominated that's better than most things that are nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    And there's also. . . . . .new Nightwish. Yeah, you can laugh now. Imaginaerum was actually a pretty decent album, but what really makes me interested to hear what they cook this time around is: 1-Floor Jansen, and 2- Kai Hahto. Enough said. Also, you can't sound more like an ost than a friggin ost itself, so I hope this time around they'll go back to play some metaler stuff.
    This. I am waiting for this the most.
    Floor can do heavy stuff quite well and I am quite sure there will be metaler stuff in general. She can thing variety of things, so I am really really excited to see the album and how Tuomas will use all that.
    And poor Jukka. :s

Listened to the debut album of newcomer Viet Cong. Pretty good stuff.

New Mountain Goats song. I think I saw on his Twitter that the entire album was played on a radio station recently but I haven't seen any recordings of the entire thing yet.

Both Sufjan's and Courtney Barnett's new albums have leaked. Both are pretty good. Sufjan's is depressing as hell though.

Best song off of To Pimp A Butterfly.
    Hey you! Let's party!

New Steven Wilson album is awesome. Check it out.

I've come to the conclusion, possibly utterly unpopular, that I prefer the contained, pop oriented Steven than the symphonic prog overkill one.

That's why I can't stop listening to Hand.Cannot.Erase -the song, but I can't quite get into the mood to tackle the entire thing. I could do that with his non-instrumental Porcupine Tree albums, because those had tons of pop sensibilities, even when he went pseudo-prog metal mode since In Absentia. And he just writes incredible pop-rock-metal songs with slight prog drops. He's tight as hell.

I just feel awful not being able to enjoy The Raven that Refused to Sing or the rest of this album as much as others do. I've been getting a bit fed-up with prog lately, so maybe it's just that and not poor Steven.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, 3 of my most wanted albums from 2015 have been a bit lukewarm. Beardfish's one is definitely good, possibly the best of the three, but it also has some filler there, and the super big 15 minutes song has a guitar sound I can't get behind no matter how I try.

Solefald is too fucking weird. Sometimes the weird wins and becomes exciting, new and interesting, other times I just wish they just went back to write avant garde black metal. A couple memorable tracks, though the feeling they overstay their welcome and that they didn't know how to close some of them is quite present.

And Nightwish's Endless Forms Most Beautiful didn't live up to the hype either. For such a concept, such a long preparation, and having Floor and Hahto on board. . .it's a bit disappointing. It's not bad, it has a couple of pretty ballsy, symph metal tracks, but both Floor and Kai feel wasted in this, being Anette 2.0 and Jukka 2.0 instead of adding their own flavour into the album. The composition is also on the slightly lazy side, lots of self quoting here, and I'm starting to miss the more adventurous sound of Oceanborn with its keyboard and guitar gymnastics. The folk-rock tracks lack punch and are a bit plain, and some feel even fillery.

The last 24 minute track is also a bit of a let down, considering half of it is nature sounds with Richard Dawkins' narration over them. The musical bits are good, but disjointed and lack cohesion.

Overall, It's not a bad album, but Imaginareum was better.

I want to go see Damien Rice so bad! He's coming to Seattle soon.

I've come to the conclusion, possibly utterly unpopular, that I prefer the contained, pop oriented Steven than the symphonic prog overkill one.

That's why I can't stop listening to Hand.Cannot.Erase -the song, but I can't quite get into the mood to tackle the entire thing. I could do that with his non-instrumental Porcupine Tree albums, because those had tons of pop sensibilities, even when he went pseudo-prog metal mode since In Absentia. And he just writes incredible pop-rock-metal songs with slight prog drops. He's tight as hell.

I just feel awful not being able to enjoy The Raven that Refused to Sing or the rest of this album as much as others do. I've been getting a bit fed-up with prog lately, so maybe it's just that and not poor Steven.
    I actually do think RTRTS is kind of overrated. It's a solid album, but I wouldn't rate it any higher than an 8/10. I much prefer Stupid Dream and In Absentia. Of course, I haven't listened to his material extensively. I've only listened to two or three Porcupine Tree albums and two of his solo albums.

However, though I only just listened to it today, I do think Hand Cannot Erase might be up there with his best Porcupine Tree work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I actually do think RTRTS is kind of overrated. It's a solid album, but I wouldn't rate it any higher than an 8/10. I much prefer Stupid Dream and In Absentia. Of course, I haven't listened to his material extensively. I've only listened to two or three Porcupine Tree albums and two of his solo albums.

However, though I only just listened to it today, I do think Hand Cannot Erase might be up there with his best Porcupine Tree work.
    I have a soft spot for The Incident, though I know many people disliked it and called it self-indulgent.

Otherwise, yeah, In Absentia is possibly his best Porcupine work. His pre-Stupid Dream material is kind of spacey, instrumental, 10 minute long songs, and they're kinda hard to swallow, at least for me.

I'll have to spin HCE a bit more, but man, the title song is just so good I can't see anything else rivalling it in terms of sheer catchiness. This thing's infectious.

Haven't listened to the new album yet. I'm a huge prog nerd, but I've always thought that Wilson needs to pick a side and stay with it. His melodic work is really nice and often gets interrupted by some jarring Rush wankery that might have been fine by itself. The Raven That Refused to Sing had a bunch of those jarring tracks. The Watchmaker is probably the worst offender. It has this nice and somber melody that gets destroyed by unnecessary swells and prog noodling (the overt YYZ riff at 9:39 in particular ruins the song for me).

---------------------------------

The Mountain Goats' Beat the Champ leaked last week and that's been pretty much the only thing I've listened to since. On the first listen, I wasn't so impressed, except by a couple of tracks, but the album's grown quickly on me. There's not a track that I don't like. I tried listing off the biggest standouts but found myself typing up most of the tracklist. If I have a favorite, though, it's Werewolf Gimmick. That one really gets my blood pumping, feels badass and has some great lyrics to yell. This may just be an easy album of the year.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

^I was initially pretty meh on it as well but I listened to it again and I do think it's starting to grow on me. It's got plenty of great songs. Favorite is still probably Stabbed to Death Outside San Juan. Will probably stay for a bit on my top 10 or so AOTY list but it's not one of the highest ones for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post

Lightbulb sun is possibly his best pop orientated work:

Spoiler:

While his possibly best prog orientated works is Signify:

Spoiler:

Maybe i just grew up with the Porcupine Tree, but i really can't understand how the guy that composed these tracks among many others went full pop.

Insurgentes was fine, some really cool tracks and others were whatever, but if the whole new album is like that track you posted i don't know what to think. I'm sure many people probably like it, but it's like... Not what he does best. (i'm also sad that he didn't continue his projects with Blackfield and No-Man)

I have a soft spot for The Incident, though I know many people disliked it and called it self-indulgent.

Otherwise, yeah, In Absentia is possibly his best Porcupine work. His pre-Stupid Dream material is kind of spacey, instrumental, 10 minute long songs, and they're kinda hard to swallow, at least for me.

If you like his "in absentia" style, you should listen to Lightbulb Sun and Deadwing too.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Yobiyopi; March 27th, 2015 at 10:15 PM. Reason: damn you copypaste

Quote Originally Posted by Yobiyopi View Post
    If you like his "in absentia" style, you should listen to Lightbulb Sun and Deadwing too.

Spoiler:
    Yeah, I've heard them both multiple times.

Lightbulb is weird in that is super poppy but suddenly, epic 8 and 10 minute songs. Not my favorite, but it's cool.

Deadwing was less powerful than Absentia, both in the amount of energy displayed and the emotional impact of the songs. In Absentia has a couple of very entertaining songs, but my favorite ones are probably Heartattack in a Layby and Collapse the light into Earth, that are super low key and kinda sad, but so good. And epic, at the same time.

Deadwing has none of that. It's decent, but it definitely lacks something.

Quote Originally Posted by Unrequited View Post

Best song off of To Pimp A Butterfly.
    Just listened to this album today and it's fucking great
    If I had a favourite I'd say it's These Walls
    Blacker the Berry also has some great bars
    NNID: julsjacket

So I finally get to go see Neko Case this month! She's playing in Olympia in like 2 weeks. Best wedding anniversary gift to ourselves.

The new Young Fathers album titled White Men Are Black Men Too is pretty good if anyone here is interested in Hip-Hop related music it is worth a listen.

Here's a review that sums up some of my thoughts.
    http://www.popmatters.com/review/192...black-men-too/

Just found out that They Might Be Giants is releasing an album in two weeks. I am, of course, excited.

The album will be composed of songs from their newly-revived Dial-a-Song service. Seriously, just dial the number (844) 387-6962 and you get a song. The audio quality kinda sucks though.

https://soundcloud.com/runforcoverre...outyou-red-cow

A single from mewithoutYou's new album. The vocals sound a bit weird for some reason but I like it a lot and am really excited for the new album.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information