+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1755

Thread: Oda's Interviews

Default Re: Oda's Interviews

For me, Oscar is very similar to Cavendish...

Quote Originally Posted by NamiRobinFrankyAce View Post
    Apart from the character of Oscar,maybe Oda is reading Rose of Versailles also for 'research' on the Revolutionaries Army and the Celestial Dragons. I bet Oda has already read a lot of books about the French Revolution,but Rose of Versailles is a manga that describes very well how the Revolution started,both politically and in the streets. And there are also a lot of rough scenes where the nobles act basically like the Celestial Dragons.
    This is a very good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This is a very good post.
    Thanks Greg. I consider this very important coming from you.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Ace had to do what he did and what we learned in that arc filled in the blank for why. I'm not a huge Ace fan, but I appreciate the story, and how Oda told it from his first appearance till the end of Luffy's flashback. So yeah, Ace made a dumb mistake, but the Marineford Arc only exists because of the exact same character flaw.
    Facts. Moreover, we're seeing that EVERY main character in One Piece has a character flaw leading to their undoing. Ace's was that he wouldn't ever run. Sanji's weakness is women. Luffy's weakness has always been (since chapter 1) that he jumps into situations he can't necessarily control without a plan. I think we'll continue to see these occur until the protagonists are forced to overcome them. The only alternative is death.

Quote Originally Posted by gyuukarubi View Post
    Facts. Moreover, we're seeing that EVERY main character in One Piece has a character flaw leading to their undoing. Ace's was that he wouldn't ever run. Sanji's weakness is women. Luffy's weakness has always been (since chapter 1) that he jumps into situations he can't necessarily control without a plan. I think we'll continue to see these occur until the protagonists are forced to overcome them. The only alternative is death.
    Thats actually Luffy's strenght for me (and Whitebeard seemed to think the same)

Thats actually Luffy's strenght for me (and Whitebeard seemed to think the same)
    you’re right. I think it’s both.

The broader interview is about The Promised Neverland, but in this talk with former One Piece editor Sugita he talks about playing Pokemon Go with Oda when they had to go anywhere together. In fact, he says it was Oda who got him hooked on the game.

Just from personal experience, I'd say Pokemon Go is nothing but a good thing for Oda's mission to stay a bit more in shape and do some walking every day. Hope there's some good spawns around his studio!

Shonen Jump Issue 28,Author comments.
    Eiichiro Oda: "I finished reading Glass Mask,so now i'm reading Rose of Versailles. Oscar was a woman?!"

I dont know how many of you guys know Rose of Versailles,but the fact that Oda is reading it is an amazing news to me. I love it,its an amazing manga! And i would love to see a character like Oscar in One Piece. I hope it gives him some inspiration in this sense :D
    I grew up with it here in Germany, especially watching it with my sister, though it was the pre Dragonball era and before i consciously watched anime.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Ace had to do what he did and what we learned in that arc filled in the blank for why. I'm not a huge Ace fan, but I appreciate the story, and how Oda told it from his first appearance till the end of Luffy's flashback. So yeah, Ace made a dumb mistake, but the Marineford Arc only exists because of the exact same character flaw.
    A mistake?

Things that Ace could have done to avoid being killed:
    1) Become a Marine like Garp told him to. He'd have been a Rear Admiral or Vice Admiral by the time anyone remotely realized he was Gol D Roger's kid-- and they wouldn't have cared. In fact, they would have celebrated having the son of the most notorious pirate being a hero of the Marines.
    2) Taken the offer to become a Shichibukai when it was offered to him. Again-- they would have immediately forgiven his heritage so long as they could say he was working for them.
    3) As he knew Blackbeard had some impossible to beat devil fruit-- he didn't have to go charging into an all-or-nothing fight against an opponent he obviously couldn't beat. In fact-- where on earth was the rest of Ace's crew? What sort of "fleet commander" has no fleet? Luffy has a crew to pull him out of the fire whenever things go belly-up for a reason.
    4) Once he did get free, he didn't have to stupidly stand in the middle of the war with Luffy and just shoot the breeze for minutes on end. They should have focused on getting behind allied lines and then they could have their little chat.
    5) When Luffy was being attacked, he should have moved Luffy instead of blocking the attack with his torso. Even if he or Luffy would have gotten mildly harmed had he moved Luffy-- it wasn't as though Luffy was going to be in any position to either fight back any better or escape after Ace was punched through the heart.

And those 5 are probably just scratching the surface of really dumb choices that Ace made that brought him to where he was at that point. Any one of those choices being different would have been enough to alter his fate for the better.

How can you hold Ace wanting to become a pirate and not a Marine against him? That was a life choice that could have resulted in any number of ways. Both life styles are filled with tons of dangers. Even fighting on the side of justice doesn't guarantee that he'd avoid Akainu's magma fist. See the scared fodder and Aokiji. He could have ended up like Jimbei, not dead but a War Lord still on the receiving end of some lava.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now now people let's just be glad that Ace is dead regardless of the circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Now now people let's just be glad that Ace is dead regardless of the circumstances
    Remember you are a mod and people cant ignore your comments (Yes i just tried lol)

Ace wasted his dad and sibbling(s)'s efforts after his family begged him not to. I have no sympathy for his death and the trauma he unncesarily put Luffy.

I don't hate Ace. I just hate Ace in Marineford(which is most of his screentime).

We'll sadly never be rid of him since he possessed Sabo's body.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    I grew up with it here in Germany, especially watching it with my sister, though it was the pre Dragonball era and before i consciously watched anime.
    Yes its very popular in Europe. Really a great manga and anime.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information