+ Reply to Thread
Page 138 of 139 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 2764

Thread: Oda's Interviews

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Default Re: Oda's Interviews

Yeah, her hair has grown nearly twice as much!

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    It looked more cartoony in a fun and bubbly way. The feet/shoes are a hit and a miss, but I think they suited Oda's overall style back in the day and complemented the big round hands everyone seemed to have.

As for Smoker's additional coat, that thing looks so damn silly on everyone (Vice-Admirals, Admirals etc.).

I get that it's another signifier of rank among the Marines, but they never look like they fit the person wearing them, and just looks... tacked on. On the other hand, it works like a cape that Oda can have fun with in actions scenes (similar to smoke and long hair). Actual capes look better though (see T-bone).
    Wait a second, you *dislike* how the Marines are wearing their coats???

But... that's the best thing about them? Maybe it's a misunderstanding and you actually mean something else?

Spoiler:

I always thought this was one of Oda's most brilliant design ideas, both visually and thematically. You wear a coat like that if you want to keep your weapons / ill intent concealed as a mafiosi, and by all means that's what the Marines are. At least in good part.
    Last edited by Jabra; June 20th, 2021 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Needless to say that Borsalino wears it best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

But... that's the best thing about them? Maybe it's a misunderstanding and you actually mean something else?

I always thought this was one of Oda's most brilliant design ideas, both visually and thematically. You wear a coat like that if you want to keep your weapons / ill intent concealed as a mafiosi, and by all means that's what the Marines are. At least in good part.
    Also, not using the sleeves makes for great visuals like this.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

I tend to think of Oda's older art as a imperfect perfect and his new art as perfect but less unique. The sort of art he always wanted to do but we got spoiled by his older stuff that was very fun and fresh. We got to see him go from point A to point B but it's been over a 1000 chapters and he has drawn each character many times over. You can tell by now how long he has done this. So it feels less intense, less pop to it.

Nami art from back then to now is always interesting. On one hand you have her early design which screams cute thief girl but then later and most of all post time skip you have "sexy femme fatale bimbo" in other words Fujiko. Which was probably what she was always meant to be from the start but took a bit to show off until the series refined itself. I like both but totally get why people miss her older design.
    Last edited by Dorobō Neko; June 20th, 2021 at 05:05 PM.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

To me Oda's art is still unique enough that I know its him. Just refined over time.

Never do I mistake his style for anybody else's.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    I tend to think of Oda's older art as a imperfect perfect and his new art as perfect but less unique. The sort of art he always wanted to do but we got spoiled by his older stuff that was very fun and fresh. We got to see him go from point A to point B but it's been over a 1000 chapters and he has drawn each character many times over. You can tell by now how long he has done this. So it feels less intense, less pop to it.

Nami art from back then to now is always interesting. On one hand you have her early design which screams cute thief girl but then later and most of all post time skip you have "sexy femme fatale bimbo" in other words Fujiko. Which was probably what she was always meant to be from the start but took a bit to show off until the series refined itself. I like both but totally get why people miss her older design.
    Yeah, she appeared more young in the sense of “a bunch of kids going on a journey” back in the days when she didn’t know Luffy and Zoro for too long, even though she was only 18. Now she appears more like a mature adult.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

That's a good comparison, Maestro. The East Blue was sort of the starter zone for everything, so the stakes weren't nearly as high as they would be on the Grand Line. It was around Alabasta where Luffy really took the first steps to being a world-class pirate instead of a big fish in a little pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Also, not using the sleeves makes for great visuals like this.

https://i.ibb.co/nCR1dVp/40-CEB226-7...9-CBFDAB88.gif
    Granted they can look cool in the right circumstances, but seeing them on everyone above Captain really cheapens the style. Or maybe there's been too many Vice-Admirals introduced that did very little to earn that "oomph".

I also feel that it doesn't suit Coby, even though I admit that there had to be some kind of change to his pre-skip outfit (because most everyone else had a wardrobe change anyway). He's not the "mafiosi" type in my opinion, and he's clearly meant to lead the new "better" generation of Marines, that goes in the opposite direction of Akainu and gang.
    Spoiler:

Helmeppo, interestingly, had a better-suited wardrobe update (to my tastes). He basically got a coat/cape equivalent, but tailored to his own unique style instead of just tacking on the Marine-issued coat (superglue not included).
    Spoiler:

I guess my biggest gripe is how few characters seems to add anything unique to the same piece of clothing, but I understand that not every Vice-Read-whatever Admiral needs slightly different versions of the coat. Doberman has his red one with a different neck-piece (that changed color once we arrived at Marineford), and Sengoku also had a modified version when he was the big boss.

That pic of the 3 admirals makes me want to see Ryokugyu, Fuji and Kizaru together.

According to today's TV show called "Mr. Sunday", Luffy having no thought bubbles was one of the reasons why some Shueisha editors rejected OP many times before serialization, like "Kids, Jump main target audience can't understand what this protagonist is thinking."..

Oda elaborated on this subject in volume 54 SBS.

Shortly after OP started, Oda was pretty sure his manga would become popular when he witnessed an elementary school kid mimicking Gomu Gomu no Pistol with his school-lunch bag on a street.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Interestingly enough, it seems Roger is saying in this prototype that his treasure can "buy the world". Actually, Gaimon told Luffy the same thing in chapter 22, "Find ONE PIECE and buy the world!"

Pics
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    According to today's TV show called "Mr. Sunday", Luffy having no thought bubbles was one of the reasons why some Shueisha editors rejected OP many times before serialization, like "Kids, Jump main target audience can't understand what this protagonist is thinking."..

Oda elaborated on this subject in volume 54 SBS.

Shortly after OP started, Oda was pretty sure his manga would become popular when he witnessed an elementary school kid mimicking Gomu Gomu no Pistol with his school-lunch bag on a street.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Interestingly enough, it seems Roger is saying in this prototype that his treasure can "buy the world". Actually, Gaimon told Luffy the same thing in chapter 22, "Find ONE PIECE and buy the world!"

Pics
    Thanks so much as always sandman

Here's the video from Mr. Sunday TV program!!

Buy the world, eh? That's an interesting possible answer to what Luffy/Roger might have wanted to do.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Anyone happen to have access to the WSJ author comments this week? VIZ usually posts official translations but skipped this week. We can translate Oda's and anyone else's if need be.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Anyone happen to have access to the WSJ author comments this week? VIZ usually posts official translations but skipped this week. We can translate Oda's and anyone else's if need be.
    This page, right? I read somewhere it's a pretty by the numbers "let's celebrate volume 100" kind of remark.

Cool, thanks! I'll add it to the chapter thread.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

I already posted this in Berserk thread, but it might be a good idea to share it with you here since it's a bit related to Oda.

Below is a spoiler summary of Kentarou Miura's interview in Berserk Expo that started this month.

I was hoping Miura and Oda would have an interview since both of them said
    they couldn't help drawing in detail and jokingly described such a habit as illness.
    Interestingly, they both hope(d) for a round-the-world trip after their serializations..

When Oda married in 2004, he made a promise with his wife that they will go on a round-the-world trip after OP, saying he would finish OP in 10 years.. That said, Oda and his family go abroad about once a year.

Spoiler:
    The story of Berserk is 60-80% done.

Miura started wrapping up the story toward the end.

Guts will enter the fight against Griffith, but it will not be settled with only one opportunity, implying they will fight multiple times.

Guts has been spending his journey with comrades such as Schierke and Farnese etc, but such a journey will be over after the Elfhelm arc.
    (*Maybe they'll split up and go to separate places for some reason..)

Berserk will enter a "surprising" new phase that will be told along with the story about Skull Knight.

Miura said all of his audience were like comrades.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

I was hoping Oda would reference/acknowledge/pay homage to Miura in the manga somehow with having Zoro do something like Guts or dress like him or with a new character at some point.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by redon View Post
    Here's the video from Mr. Sunday TV program!!

Hello! Did anyone saved this or have a new link? Thanks!

I have it :) .

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information